Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

The Valley Stared posted:

The funny thing is, back in December, the CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific told my CO at the time and my XO (now CO) that he didn't trust in my ability to control damage on the ship. We were going through LOA at the time. Both my CO and XO said that I had their trust and that I was going to remain the DCA.

I've been incredibly lucky in that I have had people believe in me when others didn't think I should continue. The CO I had for my first deployment gave up on me and was never going to pin me. But that XO took over and the new XO we had did believe in me and allowed me to show them that I had earned their trust.

In the future, you're going to face the most difficult challenge of your life. You may meet this CO of Engineering Assessment Pacific and you will be forced to resist the overwhelming urge to slap that individual in the face with your dick. Stay strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

"Doctors of Education, Sport and Economic Sciences have a symbol with a flame, oil lamp, and a circle made up of rays of light."

:yikes: all I see is the WTC, a dick, and some SS runes

I also see a demonic summoning circle made out of fingerbones.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I don't normally pay attention to Navy stuff, but is Department of the Navy still waiting for people to stop paying attention to flush Captain Crozier?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm convinced that the Navy is content to let his career end unless POTUS intervenes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

By insisting "the torpedo is fine, you just suck" for a couple years.

Admiral King wants to know your location.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

They also used a dummy warhead that wasn’t weighed / balanced the same as the actual warhead, the contact detonator had never been tested so it would fail on a perpendicular impact…

It was an onion of failure, basically the torpedo was running too deep but that didn’t matter because the magnetic or impact detonators wouldn’t have gone off anyway.

Also wasn't all of the testing conducted as non destructive so as to save money?

That is to say, not once did they conduct live fire testing throughout the entire course of development and certification.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yup. It took an actual admiral doing his own tests (firing torpedoes at a cliff, dropping them from cranes) to convince the bureau of ordnance to fix their poo poo.

I thought it took threatening them with court-martiald in order to get them to do their jobs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

titties posted:

I had another dream about those fresh dinner rolls.

Does anyone have the official bread roll recipe? I've never been able to find it online.

I don't know if this has the specific recipe you're looking for, but here's the 2003 revision of the official US Armed Forces kitchen manual.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...6So08fE1OadcDF6

As a matter of course, unclassified military manuals are public record and are often available online. If not FOI requests can acquire them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1418744432719958023?s=19

I did enjoy going topside to watch UNREPs. Also, lotta rust on that USNS

Do the Canadians have breakaway songs?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

No one died as a result of the fire, right?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TIL that Improper Hazarding of a Vessel in peacetime is a capital offense.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I should clarify that's Willful Hazarding. A negligent fuckup that causes the loss of a ship (or aircraft) is a lesser, but still court martiable offense.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What's absolutely astonishing is that Captain Watson was allowed to finish out his career and retire.

I mean, it wasn't an act of sabotage, or even one of criminal negligence, but it was the single biggest loss of hulls since the action against the CSS Virginia and wouldn't be matched until Pearl Harbor. I don't get how he wasn't drummed out of service.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Why a making GBS threads Ford Mustang logo?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've got a better idea for a touch up.

See, the problem is that a few months at sea will just restore the rust stain. You need to do something to make it look intentional.

I feel like that change will really class up the ship.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 10, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Search results for "8 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period": Not Found

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

Reminder that Constitution is the only active USN ship to have sunk an enemy in combat.

Are there no active USN vessels that have collided with and sunk other US flagged ships?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s just Ukraine. Not “The Ukraine”.

Since 1991, at least.

Why?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Also this tbh.

No one is gonna do anything and hopefully there isn’t a tremendous loss of life.

It’s gonna be bad though and I feel sorry for the people that are getting 0 support.

Unless checked, it's not going to stop at Ukraine. Vlad is on record that none of the former Republics have any right to be separate from Russia.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Ok well have you considered what sanctions might do???

(yeah jack and poo poo)

Sanctions are useless as a preventative measure at this point. Their only utility will be in degrading Russia's ability to wage war.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I worked on the Port Royal back in 2017 for an AT and it was leaky piece of poo poo without one watertight door or scuttle. Nothing passed the string or chalk test.

Also they burned the poo poo out the hamburgers.

Battleship New Jersey still has doors that pass those tests. Wtf?!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Always loved listening to first classes and chiefs bitch about millenials while failing to realize they were talking about zoomers and also they themselves are millenials

MIght've been Gen Xers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

is the tl;dr that the guy got micromanaged into a failure?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

My ability to understand that report is non-existent, so I found this video helpful: https://youtu.be/IPr7Yrwgly4

I can't attest to the accuracy or usefulness of it, so if one of you could chime in it'd be nice to be able to gauge it's value as an interpretation of the report.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What is a letter of censure?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently Reince Priebus is still O-1ing it up in the reserves. How is he still an O-1 after three years?

I mean, he's 45+, but that's the Noble equivalent of Dan "Remedial" Dargon being a perpetual SPC because he can't/won't ever get a clearance.

I like how on his LinkedIn he still refers to himself as an attorney.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Lol I had everything, then half the forums got nuked in the Democratic Primary Toxx-pocalypse, and I never got around to rebuilding. Not even an avatar. I think Lowtax got milkshake duck'd around that time too, so I didn't want to give him any more of my :tenbux: than I had to.

If more people had been paying attention, he'd have ducked a lot earlier than that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

Time to ban assault high capacity nail guns. No one needs those.

*sad ranger noises*

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why would they use a drone boat? Why not a drone plane?

Well, for starters, a drone boat could hold a lot more stuff than a plane, and second, a plane has to fly. A boat can just, you know, sit there doing nothing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pmchem posted:

but like, they're not on a battlefield. as someone said earlier, it was at pier. to me this is like saying Capt. Crozier should've stayed at sea, kept the Roosevelt sailing, and intentionally gotten covid himself instead of going to port. but I think this thread really liked Crozier's decision to respect the health of his crew?

e: if they were sailing into the middle of a fight, I'd have a different opinion on all this

TRAIN HOW YOU FIGHT

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://twitter.com/DaOfficialVigil/status/1596580144143106051

Tweet embedding auto-crop doesn't do it the proper justice.

Chinese propaganda of the US Navy

Holy poo poo we turned Sinistar into a transformer? We're the best!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Valley Stared posted:

Most modern warships are built to take damage like this and still back to port, even if it's limping along. Mine did, but that may be more of a testament to the quick actions of the crew than anything else.

Did any sailors not responsible for that clusterfuck get awards for their actions?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Never mind, I didn't read the context fully.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

How do people not understand at this late stage that if you're required to be somewhere, and required to do something, then you should get paid for it.

Even if that somewhere is "home" and that something is "nothing".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

EABO is just one letter away from 'eat a bowl of dicks'.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What's the roughest sea state you can be reasonably expected to conduct amphibious operations in?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

More than once and successfully?
Hard to say.

Need a carrier/tender. Would be huuuuge.

I mean with conventional landing craft and support ships.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

We've already got LCACs and they're incredibly sea state sensitive. Landing craft in general aren't the best at sea keeping, so I don't see how it's a non-starter for an Ekranoplan.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cerekk posted:

I wouldn't be super shocked if they change their minds about domestic production and decide to build them all in the UK long-term, but it would still be an overall win to have a healthier submarine-building industry in the UK. Right now the UK just doesn't build enough to keep everybody employed and proficient.

Also wouldn't be shocked if part of the arrangement about exporting Virginia is that UK shipbuilding is going to do some work on Columbia after they finish Dreadnought.

I had to do a quick search because the phrase "finish dreadnought" was seriously loving with my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I’m gonna make you a really subpar martini using well gin the navy officer party I bartend.

At least you're using gin.