Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
they're caused by eating red meat and sleeping with any pressure on either of your shoulders

forces bad vapors to get trapped in you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Also! Try to go to a shrink, maybe two: one for hugs and one for drugs.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
like full time?

steal your own box end wrench and threaten to fistfight anyone who touches it

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LingcodKilla posted:

Yikes yeah I witnessed a guy getting a hand totally mangled by a hatch on a tank and that poo poo was only 1/4th the size. I'm not loving around with safety on these things but I still find this assignment a little odd.

you pass butter

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Carrier: Cookie day is any day if you're good with the mafia

I saw some surprisingly jolly dude handing out chicken wheels wearing second class crows for forever. Not sure if his chief hated him or if he just got lost in the shuffle of all those boat chucks.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
yeah but who doesn't these days

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

It's all worth it once you have that sweet, sweet DD-214 in hand my man. Got mine today.

Freedom beard starts now

grats

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Boon posted:

Sometimes I miss ship life

Am I... Am I broken?

If I could get a job just stripping and waxing decks, + headphones and weed, I would be setttttt

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Hey there used to be CTOs and CTAs too

CTA is now just a YN with SCI

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I took all of that really seriously - I was at a command where a dude got sent to mast and picked up an $80k bill from Balboa after he broke his ankle riding his dirtbike without requisite papers.

also that MSRC was really good and I recommend any of you riders take it if they still offer it

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

There's a dude in my unit who has a bunch of Norse runic and themed tattoos and is all in to that. He's a Texan though so somehow Jesus counterbalances it, i presume.

is he a white supremacist? He sounds like a white supremacist.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My new life goal is to be a Godless Heathen Chaplain

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Boon posted:

Partially and it is a thing which I have on my to do list, yes. To be fair, I wont administer a PFA for 6 mos. The current PFA is run by the NOSC after the last CFL and staff shadily changed some numbers.

It doesnt sound too hard and it was a CO personal request. I'm just leary of what I don't know about it.

dude you're an O-3

CFL is beneath you get a grown up collateral

personal request? shoulda told that nigga no, because he was punking you

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
in that case guess it sucks to be boon

thank you for your service boon

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

And half the green beans are burnt while the other half so are so mushy you can't pick them up with a fork.

Burnt? My ship just kept putting the asparagus tips out for days on end til they turned black on their own.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
not unheard of

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was in Atsugi in the carrier helo squadron. Japan would have been amazing if I hadn’t been in the military.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
he did it while he was standing a post

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
honestly I hope dude's command is chill about all this

be cool everybody

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
being some rando officer reservist in the expeditionary community looked pretty loving sweet. Show up for less than a month every year to sit in some TOC in Thailand during an exercise and then go back to your real job

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

A White Guy posted:

Yeah, I promoted which gave me another year. I'm trying to promote again and then ride my time til the end of 2019.

One of the most integral lessons I wish I could beat into the heads these COMETs is that you can't change the Cs. You can't change the rules you are forced to operate under. Its a waste of time to try to do so. Unless your C1 is physically/sexually abusive, you're probably stuck with him/her. The food will suck, the work will be hard, your crew will probably suck. But this adversity is good for you. It changes you, and it only took a year of it before I learned its value.

The only thing that changes is you. The sooner this lesson is learned, the sooner lovely corpsmembers morph into people that can be taught important life lessons.

is the koolaid red or purple

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Anita Dickinme

Grow a mustache and a mullet and get a job at Chik Fil A

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
- PROMOTE NOW

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Neat coin

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

Let me tell you some of the most boring as gently caress guard duty is standing guard in the secondary exit of the ship's brig for 4 loving hours with a Mossberg just staring at a locked gate and the shower/poo poo area of the brig because there's 10 or so pirates in your brig.

Nevermind that there was like 0 ventilation in the ship's brig and the pirates smelled like loving poo poo, like the smell was in their loving skin because they hadn't showered for months.

I spent so much time in that brig entrance that I can still remember how the area looked 10 years later.

Well I hope y'all rounded up a bar of soap and let them all take a quick shower at least

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can literally picture some old man, landed gentry educated in an academy and dressed in silly blue camouflage adorned with little shiny birds and gold badges slapping an ovoid formica table, this! gentlemen, is the kind of spreadsheet I want to see

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

one year from when i start terminal and EAOS. wow do i dislike my community and the USN at large. namaste.

You don't like being hazed by a bunch of fat overpaid construction worker chuds cosplaying marines??

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeh but how cool would it be to have your (SCW) as an IT

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Madurai posted:

I guess it's cool that they can do this but it sounds like a poo poo job to do it.

Mark VI patrol boats make 500 mi trip

that's a cool loving boat

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Thronde posted:

Amazing the boat actually managed to make the trip without breaking. Utter pieces of crap

oh drat all right I thought we had some cool speedboats with machineguns out there my b

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ZekeNY posted:

This. Or if you’re at all interested in writing it up as a book, I’d bet publishers would want to buy it.

or as part of her body of work at war college or other grad school

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was stationed in Naples for two years
generally, the city is a real poo poo hole, advice to not really go bar-hopping is pretty good. You definitely can't be drunk around the city center at night, and maybe it's better if you don't be there at all at night. There are some neat castles and piazzas around there, but even during the day it is all pretty run down. Napoli is the kind of place where everybody's apartment has steel shutters that have no means of opening from the outside on all of their windows and porch doors, and there is garbage everywhere during even the best of times.

That said, Get a real pizza, from a place where they burn wood in their oven. Nothing else will do for the Neapolitans, so it isn't exactly hard to find. Buffalo mozzarella is another pretty important local specialty and will be the first course of any proper supper in the immediate region. There were a couple of sit-down restaurants that were pretty popular with troops there, a place we always just called "mama's" in Lago Patria which I liked and Country House (maybe?) which I didn't like as much. Ideally, try to get a sunday or holiday dinner at someone's house -- lots of restaraunt owners in Italy are 100% without shame about ripping off tourists lmao

See Pompeii. Fuckin amazing ruins, and if you like that, Ercolano is the site of another, better-preserved, less famous set of ruins contemporary to the destruction of Pompeii and the seaside neighborhood there, Portici, is a good place to look for pizza or seafood restaurants

Sorrento is a good recommend, but if you get to there, you're right by the Amalfi coast, which is insanely beautiful as well -- if you're looking at a map, it's the region from Positano east to Amalfi.
Circumvesuviana train will take you to Pompeii and Sorrento

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
oh and if you're living at Capodichino, then you can walk out the front gate and over to the airport terminal and catch a taxi to the train station or anywhere else to eat pizzas and ride hydrofoils. If you are living at Support Activity, you can wait until one of your coworkers takes you to Country House cause you're in the middle of nowhere lol gently caress you if you're still in

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
i can not, under colorado state law 420-69pnv agree with your recommendations to someone traveling to Naples if you don't mention Pompeii let's not be silly here I don't want mueller coming after me

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Herculaneum:Ercolano::Latin:Italian

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

orange juche posted:

The military justice system is hilarious and hosed up.

UCMJ Article 1 reads: "gently caress you if you're in"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jesus sailors are loving disgusting

the disease is like definitely from prostitutes

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God bless that old man :911:

o7

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LingcodKilla posted:

I once went around the line twice at the galley when it specifically said only once.
The ramifications of my actions still haunts me.

I carried trash light bulbs across the hangar bay of the carrier without so much as a trashbag around them

lol. Lol if I had dropped one. Lolling into eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Uh if you are being paid for it, just put it on your uniform without asking
If you're being paid E4 you don't need to be frocked, you're promoted already.