Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My spreadsheets bring all the boys to the training room because we still aren't 100% on ____________________.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Some people like the taste of Kool-Aid. See: E-6 and up.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

A lot of uniform and equipment-related policies are stupid, made-up garrison bullshit, but some also exist for a reason. You know how in safety briefs you hear retarded poo poo like, "don't drink and jet ski with the post commander's daughter," and it's because some dumb motherfucker figured that out the hard way? Well, same deal here. Put your IFAK on your left; dummy-cord your nods; have at least 3L of water, seven mags, two Twinkies, etc.

The cliché line here is, "have you ever seen Blackhawk Down?"

Of course, the further away from reality you get (up the organization, removed from combat arms, peacetime, etc.), the sillier things get because people forget why certain things were done that way, and you instead wind up with the increasingly perverted policies that we all know and love.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 2, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mike-o posted:

gently caress you if you're still in.
What I meant to say.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

psydude posted:

This still happens because you have absolutely no depth perception and you have to adjust the depth of field unless you have the crazy stereo vision ones that the SOF and EOD guys have. Unless those are finally starting to trickle down to normal line units.
Man, I wish. I remember looking those things up, they were like forty grand a pop at the time (probably still the same now).

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You know what I actually liked? The MTMs. They were terrible when bouncing around on top of a truck, but for strolling around on the ground they were pretty rad. Same size as 14s, too.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I even still have mine complete set somewhere in my house, it'd be hilarious to not get mounts issued one day here in the US and bring the same loving kit that was meant to avoid bullshit in a different army.
That's not a half bad idea. Sometimes the little clippy thingie on the J-arm wears out and doesn't stay attached to the mount. Super fun when it bounces off every time you get jostled. It's entirely possible that your armorer may not have spares on hand, too!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, I haven't worked out in three years now. No wonder I feel like rear end. That, and the Taco Bell binge I was on early last year.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

not caring here posted:

What I noticed with combat arms units is that if you've got flogged out weapons and no decent gear then sure as gently caress battalion has plasma TVs coming out their rear end.
They sure did have TVs and computers out the rear end. They also stopped the supply sergeants from ordering useful stuff in the run-up to deployment. Every person got exactly one (1) PMAG. :lol:

We did get 320s and 240Ls, but squadron can't take credit for those.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mustang posted:

What's wrong with an EOTECH? I've only used one once but it seemed better than a 68.
They chew batteries.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nuthin' but net.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

cav is just infantry with helicopters and horse fantasies
At least we're not all raping each other. It's consensual here. :colbert:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Contractor, perhaps. Uniform? Nooope.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Man, you think turning a weapon into the arms room sucks? Think how bad Joe would get hosed over turning in power armor.
Wash rack, yo. Hell, I cleaned a lot of my TA-50 at the car wash on post. A little bit of soap, scrubbing, and rinsing, and voila!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

TBeats posted:

If I could ruck on the ps4vr or whatever the gently caress id probably still have to show up seven hours early to stand in virtual line to draw my virtual weapon which will get virtually cleaned but kicked back virtually every time.
Remind the virtual armorer that he owes you a virtual one after virtually bailing out his virtual drunk rear end last virtual weekend.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Big Army has selected Sig Sauer's submission to the Modular Handgun System competition as the new service sidearm.

Here's an load of Army Army Army gobbledegook:
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/army-your-new-handgun-will-be-a-sig-sauer

quote:

"By maximizing full and open competition across our industry partners, we have optimized private sector advancements in handguns, ammunition and magazines and the end result will ensure a decidedly superior weapon system for our warfighters."

e: It's the P320.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

TPSDude posted:

Dude, surplus M9s.
No thanks.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The P320 is touted as a totally modular handgun. The basic design is such that the actual firearm is just a small chassis (trigger pack, really) which holds the working bits. That entire chassis can be lifted out of the frame and swapped into other frames of various sizes. The slide assemblies are also obviously interchangeable. Basically, it just makes swapping parts around trivially easy, and thus be adapted for different people and different purposes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

nutinfancy can suck a bag of dicks though
Hot garbage.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

GET THE DOOR, DOOR MAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA lol

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

What the hell? That costs money.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Seriously, if he doesn't want them, I'll take a bunch off the government's hands.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

the bend and reach
Buddy of mine threw out his back doing this one morning. Second rep, keels over. A'ight, let's go get a stretcher.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mustang posted:

By the way, how much time are you guys spending at YTC before NTC this year? We've got at least like 3 months of YTC in the next 6 months.
lol

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Poop story, it checks out.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Leavenworth rules. Only been once and don't remember too much besides the awful hangover, but what I do remember was pretty rad.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I loving love that, on top of leaving it running, wide open, with nobody around, the truck's alarm is also blaring. :lol:

e: https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/videos/10155096117858606/

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 30, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Deployed Army is far and away better than garrison Army.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Aww, the weenie request thread got gassed. Preserving the weenie here for the time being:

Welcome home, weenie.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

There was a guy in my basic platoon who enlisted right before the cutoff (42, I think?). He shipped out of the same MEPS that I did, and it became immediately clear that he was a total fuckup, hence why he wasn't getting anywhere in civilian jobs. He got recycled because he could not shoot for poo poo, like not even get on the white paper they'd put up around the target. What the gently caress, guy?

e: 42, that makes a bit more sense

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

No thanks, bruh. I've made it this far in life without anything going into my butthole, I'm not about to start now.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

psydude posted:

chemical warfare
Worst nightmare. Low-intensity conflict and insurgency I can handle, but being soaked in a chemical environment? gently caress. No. Anything at all goes wrong and you're dying a horrible death.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I take it you saw the videos with the rabbits and goats?
No, thanks, I'd rather not.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

One time we drove gators out the back, but that's about the only cool part of having to hump it. Having a bitchin' truck is where it's at.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Sure looks like it!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I still have a year of IRR left. I just have the green ID. Not sure if I'm actually allowed to use post facilities, but nobody's given me a hard time about it, so I'd guess that it's a-OK. :shrug:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

🤔

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

LTC: Are you in line?
Me: Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

I remember right outside the gate in Tillicompton they had this banging rear end teriyaki chicken place.
gently caress yes, Wok In Wok Out. poo poo my brains out every time, but still my favorite Chinese takeout place to date, it's just so drat good. Their Mongolian chicken is the bomb.