Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Justin Tyme posted:

For when you do a live fire range with smokes/frags and some dingus doesn't keep the pin so you're stuck crawling in the tall grass looking for it, except now you have a bunch of pins and save the day for all your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

I still can't believe how much poo poo costs that the Army buys. The chairs we use are like $450, desks like $4000 and I'm pretty sure the huge table in the classroom costs over S10,0000. Could save so much money just buying poo poo from COSTCO or Ikea, it's not like the stuff the Army buys is high quality material or anything.

Some of the poo poo on GSA Advantage was cheap buy it was labyrinthine to navigate

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bird food bathtub posted:

I actually really like the Colt 1911 my unit sponsored when we got back from Afghanistan. Didn't carry it during deployment or anything but it's still a nice piece that I enjoy having around.

The one we got was an overpriced FDE tan turd that doesn't accept fully loaded magazines without jamming, and one of the pins would work itself halfway out after a few range trips.

Also it has a loving retarded signal flag and our unit name on it so I can't find anyone who would want to buy it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

No, because we half rear end everything in the Army, including being jealous of other MOS'.

Tangentially related, I poorly remember an anecdote about how the services breakdown when you talk poo poo about their service.

Air Force just chuckle and laugh, because poo poo, life is pretty sweet.

Sailors have heard every gay joke and wrote half of them, but will defend their ship.

Marines get the most uppity about their flavor of koolaid. They all "wanted to be infantry" anyway.

Someone talks poo poo about the army? That's not even the dumbest loving story any soldier has witnessed, so we're likely to one up you.

E: :laffo: @being scared of infantry. I find more reasons I'm glad I didn't do that poo poo everyday. No one is scared of infantry unless they're either the enemy or a rape victim.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 6, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

gently caress no. I'm the POGiest rear end POG that ever POGed and I'm fine with that.

Some of the Pogiest POGs I knew were prior shooters.

Unrelated.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster posted:

You intentionally switched from Fort Rich to Bragg :pwn:

One of the weirdest dudes in my detachment deployed to Africa loving LOVED Bragg.

Why, yes, he was a huge Kool Aid drinker, why do you ask?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jaguars! posted:

Power armor would suck.

"Corporal, my leg actuator isn't working"

"Corporal, I'm missing a codpiece"

"Here's Your armors. The batteries are old and need to be replaced twice a day. How many soldiers you got, 10? We only have 5 suits, 7 arms and 21 legs, so you're gonna have to spread them around your section. Right. Everyone hold up your right pauldron tangent screw and lens cleaning brush or expedient shaving brush..."

*step out of FOB, air conditioner fails*

Statement of charges for mech parts you were never issued.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thread title joke

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is it bad form to hang yourself with a yellow ribbon to price how worthless these briefings are?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Icon Of Sin posted:

My old unit left a fully armed and running Stryker completely unattended at NTC :laffo: If you haven't been following 1/25's escapades at NTC for the last few weeks, you've missed out on some quality army.txt experiences. It's been all over USAWTF Moments on facebook, and is well-worth looking at to remind yourself of what a DD-214 shields you from.

I like the new tonal shift of USAWTF into a whistleblower forum whilst maintaining the comedy of the military's insanity.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I used to think as a young soldier that the salty former Marines from the 90s we cool cats because they would generally be funny, bitched about common sense and grit, and had experience in the military.

Then I grew and realized they couldn't turn off that bullshit when it was time to be an adult, and served in a time the military had no mission. It was actually one of the more distressing revelations I had as a young soldier.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Please new OP picture

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The only guy I know who described air assault as fun scored sub 50 on his asvaab and is in the guard.

He's surprisingly a fun kid to work around. Like a human Labrador retriever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'll gladly pay the taxes for never having to loving see a military base in my life.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Naked Bear posted:

LTC: Are you in line?
Me: What the gently caress are you doing in my house?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

My platoon is so ridiculously stacked with good NCO's that I'm honestly surprised I haven't had any of them taken to another platoon.

I'm feel like I'm the luckiest LT in my unit. I'm sure it will all come crashing down around me someday though.

It is done. The pact is sealed. So sayeth the verdant sausage.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Prepare your butthole.

But he out ranks him!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ASAPI posted:

Boards are the dumbest thing about the Army. Hopefully you get to tell a CSM that they are wrong. Twice.

I liked the board when someone actually wrote down a list of FM's and their titles on a card, and asked if he could reference it, as he didn't want to give the incorrect response.

Fuckin' genius aced it, and of course the loophole was quickly closed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zeris posted:

I don't know if we're all so woke and post-army then maybe these guys who can't readjust and constantly live in the past could use a little mentorship and help discovering cool things about the post-army life?

I cringe as much as anyone but I don't want to spend the rest of my life embarrassed to be a vet either so :shrug:

It's a double edged sword. You try to talk about your times in and it's always some loving non fun story about how actually their friends are dead now after their deployment and they don't understand my pog life.

Like drat dude where do I go from there? I'm sorry of course that is bad and you should see someone about that I guess no one cares anymore about dumb lieutenant stories.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

Yeah. Mine isn't bad because it's a more liberal college but still, there's mostly navy dudes anyways and that's like speaking French.

I got one of my Joe's hired at my job and somehow we ended up talking about our terrible African adventure, and poo poo all over the Navy dudes we had to work with.

Forgot one of our co-workers was a sailor, and one of those kind of pathetic guys who thinks he's the same dude from 20 years ago. He left the office today without saying a word.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Justin Tyme posted:

At a purely human level, what would make someone do that?

Like, does that PSG just not have any shame at all?

Stanford Prison Army Experiment.

More specifically, leaders are actively encouraged to separate themselves on an interpersonal level to the extent that they probably no longer have empathy.

This is why when someone talks about good NCOs in the Army, it typically refers to a person that maintained some measure of empathy with his subordinates and acted upon it fairly. This is a hard thing to teach, and harder to enact, so it is not something they can easily rate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my recruiter also told me to drink cranberry juice

This poo poo doesn't work, i cannot confirm or deny that a recruiter may have given a kid one of those clean pee drinks and a stern warning right before he went to MEPs.

psydude posted:

They ruin it by training a bunch of overzealous E5s and O3s who've watched too many UFC fites to go out and teach stupid techniques that get people injured.

This. The actual 40 hour course that only people a level above can instruct are great; the loving piece of poo poo hip pocket level one classes are gay and bad.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I learned that being in a fight sucks and that I can run for longer than I can fight.

Also that a broom stick is a better weapon than my hands.

Combatives did help me as a security officer once.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preechr posted:

Uh... If you got discharged on Feb. 28th, doesn't that mean they can't give you orders anymore? I'm just a lazy civilian, but I would think that would rate a "smdftb" at the very least.

They rescinded it. They're assholes but they said the magic words that take it all back. I'd still try to not show up at a minimum.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i had to max out basically ever category and got to like 740 pts and waited like 3 years for E6 points to drop to that level :/ another deployment or like a bachelors and I would have maxed that category too :(

Deployments don't count for points anymore.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lmao since when?

I thought it was somewhat fair to offset not being able to go to school and poo poo

Since like Jan 2016. It's so crazy right now.

On one hand I hated being held with poor regard against soldiers who deployed, and deployment doesn't always equate to relevant experience, but it really was a kick in the balls to explain to my soldiers that it actually didn't matter much anymore whether or not they came on this deployment points wise, and that their BLC course was given to another SPC, and that their competitors would be SGT Rear D upon our return home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

its curtains for Kevin posted:

BLC courses are different in country anyway. In my case, BLC for the OK natty G had really atrocious availability, and here overseas there is actually much better opportunities to attend.

Source: I'm taking my second PT test in 10 days tomorrow for BLC. Last test I had 5 hours notice for. :suicide:

Yeah but we fell under AFRICOM which means some loving rear end in a top hat in Germany gets the slot. Not actually the in country dudes.

Africa sucks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Woof Blitzer posted:

That reminds me of an SFC having an aneurism that I had rolled my sleeves up. While in DCUs. At JRTC.

There was one glorious army day when we rolled up our sleeves in Africa.

Then commander's discretion came along and killed everyone's fun.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Bad Poster posted:

Mandate that all spitters must have lids at the least.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Justin Tyme posted:

If we ever fought a war that had VX used in large amounts or any other sort of nerve agent it would be a loving shitshow, soldiers are grade-a morons and can't tie their shoes half the time let alone ensure their MOPP gear was 100% sealed/not think "it'll be okay if I unzip and jerk off but only for a little bit"

Oh poor old Snuffy, thought of titties and died.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Obstacle2 posted:

I think he means 2 SBCT in 2nd ID out of Ft Lewis. You know, the post that got exposed for overturning people's PTSD diagnoses just before all the kill team poo poo came out.

what...

:nms: :nws: There's some murdered body pics in the Wikipedia article, I was not ready to see that.

"Rogue "kill team" criminal charges posted:

Main article: Maywand District murders

During the summer of 2010, the U.S. military charged five members of the 3rd Platoon, Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Infantry Regiment with the formation of a "kill team", which staged three separate murders of Afghan civilians in Kandahar province. In addition, seven soldiers were also charged with crimes including hashish use, impeding an investigation and attacking a whistleblowing soldier who alerted MPs during an initially unrelated investigation into hashish use by members of the 3rd Platoon. The alleged ringleader was Staff Sergeant Calvin Gibbs.

*On 15 January 2010, Gul Mudin was killed "by means of throwing a fragmentary grenade at him and shooting him with a rifle," an action carried out by SPC Jeremy Morlock and PFC Andrew Holmes under the direction of Gibbs. Morlock allegedly told Holmes, age 19 and on his first tour of duty, that the killing was carried out for fun.

*On 22 February, Gibbs and SPC Michael S. Wagnon allegedly shot the second victim, Marach Agha, and placed a Kalashnikov next to the body to justify the killing.

*On 2 May, Mullah Adadhdad was killed after being shot and attacked with a grenade. SPC Adam C. Winfield and Gibbs were allegedly the perpetrators.

Christopher Winfield, the father of platoon member SPC Adam Winfield, attempted to alert the Army of the kill team's existence after his son explained the situation from Afghanistan via a Facebook chat. In response to the news from his son, Winfield called the Army inspector general's 24-hour hotline, the office of Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), and a sergeant at Joint Base Lewis-McChord who told him to call the Army Criminal Investigation Division. He then contacted the Fort Lewis command center and spoke to a sergeant on duty who agreed that SPC Winfield was in potential danger but that he had to report the crime to his superiors before the Army could take action.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 11, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So tonight, I had an officer from another unit in the state (he's my wife's coworker), at my own dinner table tell me it's the new kids fault for not being good soldiers, when I said I was getting out. I said what led to that decision was that after nearly eleven years in this unit, the leadership and command climate have become completely alienated with their soldiers needs, and I've been simultaneously tasked with more responsibility and treated with less authority needed to complete them.

He is younger than me with less time, but he actually began to pull the liberal millennials card out. He then continued, by trying to tout libertarianism as a command style, and likened me getting out to the reasons ghettos don't improve (as "the good ones get out").

There's got to be a German word for confusion to the point of anger.

Hang all nobles holy gently caress. I think I'm gonna let my wife know it's against the rules to hang with officers of all types.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

This stems from a conversation in class. A dude in my class has plates that have his Bronze Star w/V on them. Is this super tool like, or just fine and a way to get out of tickets? Most of the civilians think it's awesome, most the vets think it's tool like, and the dude who did it says he did it to impress chicks (Ha!) and get out of tickets.

B with v seems like where it's cool. Like I feel like the v qualifies it for being something actually dangerous. I get am totally fine with dudes who did something ballsy enough to get that award through the militarys bullshit process, they can roll through a couple stop signs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pesticide20 posted:

Hahahaha there are about to be a whole lot of pissy command teams

Oh my God. perfect.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

Thumbs up to the cool CIF workers.

Also I love cartoon Ponies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
God DAMMIT.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Good Army day. State reached out to me regarding my PDHRA mental health portion just to check in on me, and followed up with the resources I requested, so that I can get counseling and therapy for cheap/free.

:unsmith:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ASAPI posted:

Whoa there... You mean that they did their jobs?

Yeah. It's still better than my last deployment where I was having real bad depression, like, "maybe you should just... Stop existing," stuff, and they told me they could see me in 6 months.

spacetoaster posted:

Was that Active Army, or Guard Army?

Guard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wasabi- You dealing with just major depressive order or is there a PTSD element to your problems? If so don't let that get buried because treating just MDD isn't necessarily good for MDD+PTSD. Different drugs and counseling methods all together.

I believe it's a depressive disorder thing. I didn't really have this problem until after my first deployment, but I don't believe it was triggered by any traumatic events; I just developed a crazy amount of anxiety and started having uncomfortable thoughts on how to resolve it, over the course of a few months.

I am still getting help, and just talking it out with a counselor really helps, along with diet and exercise.

Like, an example of my bad thought process is: wake up tired every day -> SOMETHING DUMB HAPPENS AT WORK -> begin to think about it obsessively -> Maybe you're actually a fuckin' loser -> cherry-pick evidence based on past experiences -> maybe you should just quit, you could just kill yourself and not worry about any of this bullshit everyday.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Genocide Tendency posted:

According to the nice and good looking lady doctor at the VA I talk to every few weeks, this is A REAL BIG PROBLEM. As in you need to talk to someone and they need to help you fix this. Which you are, however....

You should not be deploying when you have this problem.

Yes. I'm aware; this is also an occasional thing, but I understand what you're trying to say.

Funnily enough, I was getting more help when I deployed, as there were more than a few really underutilized and eager behavioral health workers/counselors/therapists out there.