Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Listen up everyone, there's been some changes to this week's training schedule. First and foremost, the brigade commander's intent for JAN17 is to get green on all of our compliance training. For this reason, we're going to bump all scheduled field problems and section training to the right. Keeping our Soldiers ready is our number one priority, and we can't focus on things like individual and collective tasks until we've got Soldiering basics down. SHARP, EO, and SERE101 are priorities. I know we only have four working laptops for the entire company, so as leaders I expect you to serve your country to your fullest by hotspotting your phone and running up charges on your data plan.

Second, PT. I don't believe this nonsense about the extended scale no longer existing. The company standard is 330, meaning that everyone gives 110%. Anything less has no place in the Army. Anyone who doesn't achieve a minimum of 300 will perform remedial PT. This includes profiles - just because a few malingerers are milking back and shoulder injuries in Afghanistan doesn't mean they can't be forced to stand around and watch everyone else do 30 minutes of PRT stretching.

All right, I want PLs and PSGs to be ready to back brief me, the battalion commander, and the S3 on how you plan on making all of this happen NLT COB today. We won't be letting everyone go for the day until these briefings are done. This will be followed immediately by the CUB, and then the company training meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Psydude gay
army gay
gay dudes in the army gay
suck my dick from the back
qtiyd

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

Never got issues nods so I just ran into poo poo into the dark.

This still happens because you have absolutely no depth perception and you have to adjust the depth of field unless you have the crazy stereo vision ones that the SOF and EOD guys have. Unless those are finally starting to trickle down to normal line units.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

I got issued NODs for every field exercise I went on.

My ACH didn't have the mount for them. Supply would not give me a mount.

I just put them in my canteen pouch on my armor and never took them out unless I was making a trip to the portajohns in the middle of the night.

We were issued them for deployment, but weren't issued PEQ-16s so they were basically useless except for the use case you mentioned. Even on convoys, the MRAPs all had the driver assistance screen with the built-in night vision/thermals, as did the CROWS, and all of our crew served weapons had the thermal scopes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

What the gently caress kinda unit would send dudes out on patrol with CROWS and MRAPs with those little screens and thermals scopes and NODs but not issue laser aiming devices? That's like, supply completely forgetting to order MREs or not having any batteries for any of the radios.

Did they at least give you tracers to kentucky windage your shots in? :v: In our unit, not having NODs/lasers was like not being issued a weapon.

Reserve engineer unit. We didn't go on patrol every day, but we did have to convoy a lot of poo poo around between construction sites, so it wasn't unusual to wind up in a TIC. Ironically, the cooks and other HHC personnel got into the biggest TIC of anyone. About half of my equipment got stuck at Shank because the white truck contract to deliver it got cancelled by CI. Every line platoon was forward deployed, and all of my MRAPs and flat beds were with me and I didn't have any bodies to spare, so they had to pull from the headquarters to staff the convoy.

Halfway between Shank and Ghazni they got attacked by about a dozen dudes who gave no fucks about the AWT circling overhead. All they really succeeded in doing was riddling a bunch of my dump trucks, bulldozers, and five yard loaders with bullet holes before dying.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

When I looked into it like 7 years ago it was 4 miles in 36 minutes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Running is great when it isn't army running. Like a nice trail run or something where you can stop when you want and run as fast and slow as you want is pretty enjoyable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We had M4s with whichever manner of tacticool crap you wanted on them. Our maintenance platoon had M16s, but they put M4 buttstocks on them. I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain that the buffer spring on an M16 is different than on an M4 so maybe this wasn't the best idea? idk

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

Wahhhh, people talking about shooting themselves in the army thread

:drat:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Does the Army get as sandy vagina over being called a POG as the marines? Everyone I ever worked with basically had to marry a rifle or M9.

No, because we half rear end everything in the Army, including being jealous of other MOS'.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've noticed this thing where a lot of former military have this idea that places near military bases are nice. "Colorado Springs is nice! Fayetteville is nice! Jacksonville is nice!"

None of the above is true. gently caress military towns.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hypnophant posted:

Monterey is nice

Honolulu's not bad either

There are a few exceptions, most of which are OCONUS or which house non-combat brigades or commands in nice areas like San Antonio or DC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Everyone in Wiesbaden seemed happy as poo poo. It was odd, because I'm not used to seeing people in the Army happy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Norfolk forms a continuous urban sprawl of military industrial complex with Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads, and Newport News. Between Ft. Eustis, Langley AFB, Little Creek, Norfolk, Ft. Story, and Oceana, it's probably the biggest conglomeration of military bases on earth.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

Ft. Story owns as a TDY/Duty Station FYI.

If only because it's basically several miles of private beach on the confluence of the Potomac and the Atlantic Ocean.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Idk, seems nice enough trolling around in google street view, what sucks about it? Some of my friends back in the Army went to VB on a single soldier retreat and had a blast so it can't be all that bad.

Endless suburban sprawl of rentals, chain restaurants, and other poo poo you usually associate with being outside of military bases. But it's an entire peninsula of it.

Also Grover lives nearby.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Williamsburg to Eustis is pretty quick, but making that hike to Story and back every day would get loving old. Especially with the harbor tunnel there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is that from Korea or something?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Why is Korea suck so much compared to other OCONUS duty stations?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Makes sense. I was thinking last position served honorably type thing.

I figured he had some fraudulent BAH via a sham marriage for decades, but your idea is pretty reasonable as well. And yeah, the colonel was definitely doing much more than missing curfew but still its hilarious.

That, or he used a fake address.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

That's the far safer form of fraud.

A lot of reservists do this and get caught, because they don't even bother trying to get a sham lease from their buddy or family member who lives in Manhattan despite them drilling with a unit in rural Virginia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My back wouldn't put up with it even if I wanted to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm having a very Army day. I support multiple customers in the IC and am fully read on as a result. Every IC customer just reciprocates my clearance​, but not the Army! No, the Army wants me to sign a new NDA and receive the briefings, even though the clearance is held by a DoD entity. But wait, none of the briefing videos are working so I have to sit around like an rear end in a top hat all day until another INDOC location at the same installation can let me watch the same videos later today.

This is basically another version of having to redo your Wheeled Vehicle Accident Avoidance course even though you have the certificate, and then the computers in the company HQ not working and the training NCO telling you to wait until after COB to go use the ones in the BN HQ

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

European MBAs are also a hell of a lot cheaper and faster than American MBAs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

Only if you were ROTC or West Point. If you went the Basic->OCS pipeline, you can get that sweet GI Bill after a single tour :getin:

Not if you have SLRP.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

I got a (not-army-related) email from a guy with this signature block.

Is "CY" a loving branch, now? Really?

Yes, it's an actual basic branch now. It encompasses electronic warfare poo poo as well as the nerds at Ft. Meade.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TPSDude posted:

Dude, surplus M9s.

Pass.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My M9 in Afghanistan was so hosed up that I had to aim OFF the target sheet in order to actually get rounds on it while qualifying. I didn't even bother bringing it with me when I left BAF.

e: Love my Sig 226. Wish I could have carried that on me instead.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The amount of pressure it takes to pull the trigger on a Sig in double action mode is substantial. With that being said, I've seen soldiers pull a ND in the most perplexing of circumstances so I mean.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TPSDude posted:

I'm pretty sure we're never getting the 1911's due to Senator McCain introducing an amendment to the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act to have them destroyed.

Link? Lol if this is true, since the release was authorized under the Obama administration of all places.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I can't wait to see Mustang's mood change after he gets back from Iran in two years. Granted, his PL time will be done by then, so he'll probably be a super salty company XO who spent his deployment figuring out what to do with all of the vehicles wrecked by EFPs and arguing with the BMO about whose responsibility it is to scrub out the human remains.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AmyL posted:

Was there ever a good time to join the Army?

Well if you were in between 1991 and 1998 it apparently entitles you to talk about how pussified our military has gotten over the last 16 years and how Donald Trump is going to make it great again. So that's something.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 7, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Former Marines who have joined the Army Reserve or National Guard or whatever are pretty much the worst. The general mood was there was probably a reason why the Marines let them go in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Throughout OCS and ABOLC the NG guys all wished they could be active duty. Honestly wasn't all that impressed with NG OCS candidates. Some states send anyone with a degree and a pulse to OCS and they only manage to commission by the skin of their teeth.

Most of my NG OCS classmates went home to either no job or something less than what they would make as an active duty officer.

I definitely don't regret being active duty, I'm in a good unit and legit enjoying being a PL. The pay is pretty good too.

I know a few NG and reserve officers who commissioned without a degree. The policy may have changed, but for a while you only had to have something like 90 credits.

Officer pay starts out good, gets really around O3, and then basically sucks in comparison to comparable private sector positions from then on out.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 7, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My B Hut on BAF had a CRAM phalanx like 50m from it. We called it the fart of doom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like all of the terrifying medical poo poo that the Army potentially makes you endure.

Heat casualty? Ice in uncomfortable places. Chemical attack? Needle directly into your femur.

e: I would probably never be able to get over my doubts of the efficacy of the chemical warfare epipen and wind up dying horribly from a nerve agent as I contemplated firing a spike into my leg.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm actually surprised the Iraqi army didn't bother dumping its chemical weapons into the coalition forces in 1991/2003 knowing that they were hosed anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

OCS. It just changed then because I definitely had a direct commision company in class while I was going through. I mean maybe they call it OBC or something but it's part of 3-11 IN, the OCS BN and housed in the same barracks.

You're confusing the Direct Commission Officers Course with OCS.

Also nobody over the grade of O1 cares about your commissioning source outside of polite conversation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cravius posted:

So you've never met a west pointer?

Rule still applies. Nobody cares if you went to West Point, except other West Pointers. And half of them will hate you for it because they know how lovely their fellow alumni are.

The best officer I ever worked with was a direct commissioned officer; the worst officer I ever worked went through OCS. He was closely followed by a West Pointer and a ROTC grad. All commissioning programs produce good and bad officers. In the end, the only thing that matters is that we were all dumb enough to join the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

false. there are no good officers

Relative to the median.