Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

psydude posted:

I've noticed this thing where a lot of former military have this idea that places near military bases are nice. "Colorado Springs is nice! Fayetteville is nice! Jacksonville is nice!"

None of the above is true. gently caress military towns.

Monterey is nice

Honolulu's not bad either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I managed to have a good time in Korea but maybe that's because I was attached there for three months, civilian clothes every day, and the commander would sign a curfew pass for any weekend you cared to ask for one. Also I was in a pretty big city with the bars a five minute, $3 cab ride away

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

not caring here posted:

Basic training taught me that 99% of people around you are not even vaguely competent at anything at all, and they should not be trusted to do anything but gently caress you over.

This is the most important lesson though

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Never listen to anyone in the military who tells you something is "good to put on a resume for when you get out." How would they know?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

Unless something has changed recently, you can start ACAP a year out.

1 year is (supposed to be) the minimum but you can start it earlier than that, up to 18 months or something