Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This thread sucks but that's because it's related to the army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
when on foot patrols i usually would walk with my nods up if there was moonlight

it was a lot easier.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

We were issued them for deployment, but weren't issued PEQ-16s so they were basically useless except for the use case you mentioned. Even on convoys, the MRAPs all had the driver assistance screen with the built-in night vision/thermals, as did the CROWS, and all of our crew served weapons had the thermal scopes.

we had peq15s.

never used it once on deployment but i qualified a 29 with it.

out BNCSM shot an 11 or some stupid poo poo and one of the greatest days of my army life was seeing his face as they announced his score in front of a bunch of privates.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

Is a five mile run a requirement for Airborne School?

My contract states "the ability to run five miles in under 45 minutes". However, a bunch of people say they didn't do such thing.

airborne school runs at a slow as poo poo pace. you know that annoying pace that is just a liiiiiittle too fast for you to walk, but just a liiiiiiittle to slow for you to jog? yeah, that pace.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I can't remember the last time I ran a mile. What I'm getting at is running blows.

i started running again a few days ago for the first time in two years. i ran a lot on the weekends when i was in because it was nice to see parts of Ft Campbell while running that weren't loving Tennessee Ave.

running was actually relaxing and helped me work off stress. now i just wanna do it because i feel like a badass when i run ten miles.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
running owns if you're decent at it. but the work required to become decent at it is loving horrible.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if you get to the point where you're using your backup weapon you're probably hosed anyway. you're not basil plumley.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Acog4lyfe

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Rat posted:

Wahhhh, people talking about guns in the army thread

Wahhhh, people talking about shooting themselves in the army thread

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah but infantry likes to jerk off about how they aren't pogs. Our PL was a reclass and would tell us how scared pogs were of infantry. "And I know, because I used to be a pog."

Also why isn't it spelled pogue? I know it's an acronym but when I see pog I immediately think of the greatest schoolbus game of all time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Korea is not representative of the army as a whole. 8th army is a joke. NCOs don't care to correct or take care of soldiers because they just want to do their year and get back to the states (for example I was suicidal and told my section leader that I was getting more and more angry and depressed every single day and his response was "it's Korea, we are all angry and depressed.") . It's the biggest shithole of an army unit I've ever seen.

Not sure how it is now since I guess they are doing unit rotations instead of just randomly sending people there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Airborne school does not guarantee an airborne unit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You're going needs of the army, dawg. Which means you'll probably going to a deploying unit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

Just going to burst that bubble and let you know all duty stations will make you do the thread title.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

It's pretty cool to be the sweet summer child of this thread.

In two years if we are all lame enough to still be posting here, you will then be one of us.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Korea is fun if you can experience it as far away from 2ID as possible.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Why is Korea suck so much compared to other OCONUS duty stations?

From lower enlisted/company level NCO at Camp Casey perspective: nobody gives a gently caress about anything because they just want to do their year and get back to a real duty station.

I have no idea why command is so harsh about everything, but it could be the ridiculous amount of stupid poo poo that dumbass privates do on a regular basis.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

iKon posted:

Is there any global hostility situation where any of you would willingly go back in? I feel like if something truly heinous and totally clear-cut happened I might, but it's equally hard for me to imagine that kind of Nazis-have-taken-France situation happening again.

If I could go straight to SF without having to do the pipeline.

That's about it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don't trigger me bro

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

That's really hosed up. And I had a coworker RCP and he got hosed with them trying to send him to loving Korea for 6 months to finish up his contract.

I just talked to a guy today who got orders to Korea and he was supposed to report there in January 2016.

His ets was one month later.

It might be stdh but like Trump, I wouldn't put any stupid poo poo past the army.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah as a civilian tourist.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

I spent 10 days over there on mid-deployment leave from Japan and it was loving awesome, not just because I was away from my detachment and the navy but it was legit loving rad. The only low point of the trip was actually being in Busan, which is a giant trash heap of a port city, but other than that I can't wait to have a chance to go back that hopefully doesn't involve war. Incredible food, history, the girls are hot, they drive on the correct side of the road, things aren't too ridiculous price wise, Seoul has a crazy easy train system...place loving rules.

Make sure to do the DMZ tour, A+ super depressing would be bummed out again

Make sure you touch the guard. He lets you take his sunglasses off and put them on your own face for pictures.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Clarksville sucks but if you need meth it's a good spot.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can I use Voc Rehab for grad school? I'm going for accounting if it makes a difference, which is a fairly in demand field

I have to do more research on this approach, but from what I understand you can sit for the CPA if you have 150 education hours. It's 132 for a bachelors in accounting and I will be graduating with 140ish. Could I just do ten more hours of undergrad and take some BS courses and sit for the CPA and skip grad school altogether?

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 19, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I could ruck on the ps4vr or whatever the gently caress id probably still have to show up seven hours early to stand in virtual line to draw my virtual weapon which will get virtually cleaned but kicked back virtually every time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
M9s are only good for carrying something other than a rifle around the fob.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

If something comes up in the Army thread that doesn't have to do with the Army, sure. Other than that, nah. It's pretty well deserved.

True. Why do you think we are so adamant about talking people out of joining in the first place?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

By the way, how much time are you guys spending at YTC before NTC this year? We've got at least like 3 months of YTC in the next 6 months.

None

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cravius posted:

Alternatively the army is cool and sometimes good

Blink twice if you need help

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hey guys I had a dream about the army last night. I missed movement to go on a cruise and my 1sgt was gonna bust me down but I had something to blackmail him with and got him fired instead.

Welp that's my army story thanks for reading.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When I was at JRTC some guys in my platoon were "getting out" (aka not extending for deployment until after jrtc so that they didn't have to do anything) and were sitting around bored while everyone else was out doing dumb poo poo.

So they found an unlocked humvee and went for a drive, crashed into a ditch and left it there and hoofed it back.

The humvee was from another company and they got put on lockdown until someone found it (like five hours later).

poo poo ruled and it's too bad I only got to experience the lockdown portion while they searched our area for it.

E: also it's a really good idea to not offer to extend for a deployment until after a JRTC rotation. It may save you 25 or whatever days of bullshit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

cravius posted:

Alternatively the army is cool and sometimes good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I appreciate this probation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

You had a 2LT as an XO?

It's not that uncommon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

This owns

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Saw this nonironic headline pop up on FB.

"This soldier who joined the military at 58 will inspire you."

Yeah to not be a fuckup who needs to join the military at 58 years old.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you do summadat grunt poo poo you're a loving idiot

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I also don't see it being hard for you to go to airborne school later after you get to your Polly prissy pants flight medic unit.

it is me the jealous grunt

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

hahaha, no one in their right mind is gonna send a qualified flight medic to go break their loving legs at airborne school

Oh well. You're not missing much.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I thought air assault school was pretty fun. It's not hard to go by a packing list and dress right dress your stuff. The obstacle course is pretty easy. Fast roping out of a UH was fun. I even learned a thing or two.

Then again it was basically a ten day vacation away from my stupid rear end unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kick-Puncher posted:

I have literally never heard anyone call air assault fun. I would describe it as a waste of time, many others would describe it as loving stupid. Although compared to airborne maybe a step up.

My unit made any time away from my unit fun.