Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I'm assuming that MSG that got busted to SPC immediately had to retire (Since the punishment doesn't mention a punitive discharge) as an E4 due to RCP? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Turned in all my OCIE without any money owed to the government. 1 more drill. :duckie:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I don't like the 1911 or M9 but I'll definitely try and get a CMP 1911 for collecting purposes; I'd do the same with an M9 if they're disposed of similarly. My hate for the M9 is due to it being loving huge, from a quality standpoint they're great pistols in my book. I've shot several Army and civilian M9s or 92FS and have never seen one break or malfunction.

What I'm really looking (hopefully) forward to would be them selling off to CMP are the M11s (SIG P228). :gizz:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Uh what

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My ARNG discharge orders (ETS is a handful of days away) just hit my iPerms and say "You are discharged from the Army National Guard and as a reserve of the Army." and Current Organization Identification Code: "NONE OR NO MILITARY STATUS (W)"

Does this mean I'm not being transferred to the IRR? It seems to read that way.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That seems rather weird (and possibly a mistake) since I'm still under 8 years of service. I sort of want my tax free booze ID.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

IRR gets a green (DD Form 2) ID and AFAIK has full exchange/commissary privileges, correct me if I'm wrong.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've got a coast guard exchange 10 min from my door. Nowhere near a big post.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Afaik only if you're OCONUS.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean the exchanges can have some legit good deals. I bought a 15" Macbook Pro at the Navy Exchange this Christmas and saved over $500 off the normal price and got another $80 in rewards for the purchase. Although the online stores for the exchanges are going to be open to veterans now, so tax free electronics at good prices. :toot:

Moot point though now, it turns out that I have no IRR obligation remaining so as of the effective date of my separation orders, I am 100% out of the military. As much as I don't like the idiocy and bureaucracy of the military, it's such a defining part of your life that it's sort of difficult to just walk away completely.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hmm, how so?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I was told an IRR transfer isn't possible because I have no time remaining on my contract; this came from my state's G1. I'm mid level M-Day enlisted in the ARNG, so it's not like I can just walk 100 miles to S1 and have them figure it out and even then, I have doubts about people taking the effort to actually do anything to assist at this point. That was sort of my idea if I did the IRR route, finding the easiest way possible to get a good year.

On the other hand, I'm almost done with my degree so trying to do similar work as a civilian government employee is realistically probably a better course of action than keeping the door open on further military service.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Check if your AIT has some sort of agreement with a local educational institution. When I went through AIT at Huachuca I received 30ish credits for $50 from a local state run community college, which let me get basically a free AAS in Intelligence Operations Studies or some such by transferring in general education credits taken elsewhere. Be aware though that none of these credits will probably be worth much at a 4 year institution that isn't a for profit like UoP or AMU. Who knows though, maybe medical stuff gets you credits for something transferable.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The 320 with the stock owns though. Like a modern M79.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You know, I sit in my school's veterans lounge because it's normally quiet and is filled with older people like myself but there are a handful of dudes like the above who just can't let go. I don't like these people. :eng99:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, we've got one especially loud guy who can't stop telling stories about his time in the Army. Dude, shut up. Literally everyone in here was in the military and nobody cares about your stupid stories.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

I have never, not even once, stepped foot in the vet lounge. I don't even actually know where it is.

TBH depending on the people they're not that bad. Ours is mostly a bunch of older non-traditional students who happen to be veterans. Free coffee, nice couches and Netflix going all the time. Also I don't have to sit around listening to 18 year olds talking about vapid bullshit between classes.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

If it makes you feel better I'm out of the Army enjoying the good lfie

I'm literally 15 minutes past my ETS date right now. :toot:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.facebook.com/usawtfm/photos/a.391474713605.169598.242181938605/10155198779683606/?type=3&theater

:laugh: (I know usawtfm, but it's the only source I found)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :downsowned: :vince:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 3, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Does this mean instead of going to IRR you instead go to USAR because that's crazy as gently caress and I've never seen such a thing, or that you were immediately activated as IRR. I'm drinking and the red boxes are confusing me

edit: or your entire orders are rescinded and you just are stuck in the guard lmao either way :cheers:

The rescinded orders had me entirely out of the military, no IRR. The new orders are ones transferring me to the IRR. Although I'm not even sure if that's legal given that they were generated a day after the effective date of my ETS. Oh well, tax free booze for a few years I guess.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Jesus gently caress they're taking 21's and I couldn't get into the Army a few back because of a weed charge, couldn't apply to Army OCS once in another service due to a weed charge, and now that an Army component accepted me for transfer my parent service won't release me. Why am I not just counting down til my GI Bill and a paid graduate degree? I am so stupid :(

Why would you transfer from another service to the Army (unless it's the Marines lol)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think I'm going to grow a beard and try and get an ANG or Navy RAPIDS site to make me my IRR ID with it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, enjoy BCT as prior service if you make it over. :getin:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I wasn't AD but I'm guessing probably no. Isn't it HRC or IMCOM that determines PCS location? Seems unlikely that the platoon or even company you're assigned to would have much effect on that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Suntan Boy posted:

PM me a name. See you in April.

Isn't there a reg that caps individual contributions for PCS plaques or gifts?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I made 5 in 3 years as MI, although ARNG so our promotion system is different than AD; a board of E-8s/E-9s ranks promotable E-4s and then the state fills available slots in order of board ranking.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

35T?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Don't ESAPIs require the soft kevlar to be fully effective?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

"CSM made a requirement that all leave and pass forms contain a list of aftermarket parts, even cosmetic or sound system stuff."

"they'd start requiring us to travel in groups and have at least one E6 or above with each group."

Good god, I just can't even. I salute anyone who can make it long term as active duty enlisted. If they ever question why suicide or mental health issues are so high in the Army, that's probably a great example of why.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well, it's a BCT; as a medic you've probably got a chance at being assigned to any of the subordinate BNs, be it the BSB or Inf, Arty or the BEB. Basically anywhere.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was on the same flight as him to Afghanistan (I was actually the chalk commander :smith: ). One of the soldiers testifying in that court martial was one of mine at the Warrior Recovery Center on KAF, who certain shitheads tried to retaliate against by yanking that soldier from a medevac flight to Landstuhl and putting him back on a flight to his fob sans weapon, armor, helmet, or even camo clothes. I dropped a line to IG and the rage I got from them afterwards indicated that IG put its boot in someone's rear end and wore them like a shoe for a short while.

gently caress.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

People whose entire identity is associated with their military career. Their identity is the Army.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I should really get around to getting vet plates/driver's license.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mustang posted:

God drat Yakima Training Center

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Congressional?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The silkweights/waffles are great; they're actually made of high quality Polartec or similar fabrics. I wear the long underwear all the time in the winter, who gives a gently caress if they're tan under your normal pants?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I live in a 1920s vintage apartment building with all utilities included. Even with my radiators shut off my apartment will easily hit 80f during the day; I've had a box fan in an open window all winter, including times when it was -10f outside just to keep the temp below 75. In the summer I can run my AC 24/7 for a flat $40 a month fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

lmao what unit is that

Ohio ARNG AFAIK. Whatever BCT.

My only "deployment" was to Kuwait a few months after they took away patches for Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, etc. Although on the upside I had an actual cool job which gave me the opportunity to go hang out in Kuwait City and actually see what the middle east (or at least a small slice of the GCC) is like outside of active combat zones which was genuinely pretty fascinating. I sort of sometimes feel bad about never going to Iraq or Afghanistan, but whatever I probably got the way better end of the deal here.