Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Warrants are really just E4s at heart that took their sham shield and made a career out of it. They should be spared the purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Maybe things have improved (lol Army, no) but AKO for me was the Platonic ideal expression of the "complete and utter dogshit software that has done every single thing wrong" form. It was sublime in it's shittyness.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I want to say that's fake.

No, really.

I want to say that. Please tell me that's fake. If you have to lie I don't care, just tell me that's fake.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

psydude posted:

X is fun, Y Army poo poo negates whatever fun may have previously occurred.

Can just mad lib this part here and cover like 90% of it all really

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Naked Bear posted:

I'm glad that we've since neutered Lieutenants.

Who do we have to convince to make this happen for real? Maybe if nobles can't procreate we can get rid of them entirely.

Granted it would save a ton of paperwork if it happened to all lower enlisted too so let's just get it happening all around.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Figure if you get them while they're young the older ones will die off on their own.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
PA is great if you stick to Philly or Pittsburg. If you go anywhere else it's the "hills have eyes" type opiate wastelands poo poo that a million post-election articles have been written about.

State gun laws are pretty cool and I love me some venison so I venture out there once a year but fuuuuuuuuck living there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My go to response when people ask if it was worth it is "it's the best thing I've done that was loving terrible".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aranan posted:

So the best way to do Army is to not do Army.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

He could make it so if you're currently in, and trans, you can finish your term but are barred from re-enlistment.

Or he could just let currently serving trans continue (like they did with the 50+ crowd and the APFT back in the day) until they either retired or ETS'd.

Or he could even pretend to be halfway competent and issue an actual order the right way that has been reviewed by people who know what the gently caress they're talking about and would have seen this coming a mile away.

Instead he just unbuckled and poo poo something on to Twitter that he doesn't even vaguely begin to care about/understand but wants his mouth breathing-fuckstick MAGAwarrior base to get all fired up about.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

shortspecialbus posted:

If his whole bullshit reasoning

Just gonna go right ahead and stop you there. This is Donald J Trump, the narcissistic dementia patient. There was no reasoning. He probably spent more thinking time on his rear end in a top hat to poo poo out dinner than he did to poo poo out that tweet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I considered a career as a teacher, even started my first semester of GI bill with that as a possible goal.

Things have gotten a lot worse since I went to school, so I guess the "drown government in a bathtub" model of politics is working because holy Jesus gently caress why would anybody do that job any more?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So....Fort Meade. Anyone been there, know anything about living in the area? I might be taking a filthy civvie contractor job there, but i have no idea what the area is like. Never got stationed there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soulex posted:

Oh my are you living there?

It's small. There's a Dave and busters like right outside post, lots of bad traffic, Baltimore is cool but you literally have to be careful where you go if you are white.

Probably living pretty close if I get the job. So the area right outside is a typical only-exists-because-of-the-base town? My reference would be Killeen for Hood or Sierra Vista for Huachuca.

Is the drive into base the normal 45 minutes to cross the street crap?

And what about Maryland's gun laws?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

The area immediately outside Ft. Meade is a weird mix of "only-exists-because-of-the-base town" and "built-up suburb/minor urban area." I lived in an apartment about 10-15 minutes from Fort Meade and was paying $1300 a month for a one bedroom apartment in a complex built in the 1960s. With rush hour traffic, I think the commute to Fort Meade, to include getting on base, pushed it to about 20-30 minutes.

Maryland's gun laws are poo poo.

As long as we're not talking Sierra "only one meth lab explosion this week? doing good!' Vista I'm OK with living there.

Sucks about the gun laws. That's probably going to be a pain in the rear end.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Aranan posted:

I'm still a little sad I never went to the Sorry Gulch in Sierra Vista just to see if it lived up to the legends.

How is Sierra Vista these days? Still about a meth lab explosion per week?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I mean it's the most Army response possible. You know it's a waste of time, HRC knows it's a waste of time and will crack down on it, but you have to waste the time anyway because someone with rank is a stupid mother fucker and nothing will convince them until after you waste that time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustang posted:

They'll be like "hey get all this poo poo done now and you'll get a couple weeks of down time afterward" only they end up dumping some more bullshit on you to do instead. Just endlessly chasing the downtime carrot and never catching it

I see you've had a real life introduction to the phrase, "competence is punished". There's a reason it exists.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still have nations of the world in my music collection and I'll shamelessly play it til the day I die.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Kaliber what the gently caress is wrong with you that you suggested reupping instead of initiating a bar to reenlistment?

What's he going to do, be incompetent in the Army? The entire institution is built around dealing with incompetence. Probably the guy's best shot and if he's any good at PT he'll pick up rank in no time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Soldier shows initiative, creative problem solving and dedication to mission objectives. Recommend for promotion. "

All he had to do was be good at PT and he'd have fit right in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey guys I know we turbo gently caress you in every aspect of your life day in and day out for being single, but we have an FRG function over the four day and we need manpower so put together a roster.

Man why does our command climate survey suck so bad? Oh well throw those out and pencil whip it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Will never forget the pizza guys out at Huachuca that would deliver to coordinates while we were on FTX. Those guys got tipped like mother fuckers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looks a drat site better than being a loving pickle.

Though I'm confused on the name, pinks and greens?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

The WWII-era officer's uniform consisted of a service coat in OD green and khaki trousers with a slight pinkish hue.

Good to know, never heard that phrase. All I ever heard was either pickle suit or hosed up leprechaun the entire time I was in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So are we firmly into the second panel of the Terminal Lance leadership life expectancy now or is this the transition into the third?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Since I'm an IT nerd I'm probably going to try to teach computer nerd classes at the YMCA or a local library or something. Really like teaching and investigated it as a career before a family friend who is one talked me through how turbo hosed education is in America.

...and that was like a decade ago. Now DeVos is ripping out the entrails of the gutted education system and pissing on the hole before auctioning off the mangled remains to the highest bidder.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Because making officers even more risk averse and determined to have a zero failure culture is exactly what the Army needs.

Haha gently caress you if you're still in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Did basic with a guy who was whatever the band MOS is.

He was.....special. Not quite as loopy as linguists, but never really felt like he was 100% in touch with what was going on around him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustang posted:

I get comped block leave

Famous last quotes from the Green Weenie.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Smoking cigarettes and having a dependapotomous pop out some babies are like THE two most important ways to sham in the Army.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Agnostic Jihad posted:

I’m clearing and CIF doesn’t have any time available until after my terminal leave starts. S-4 can’t clear me until CIF does. S-1 can’t sign anything until S-4 is done. Aaaaaand I can’t do my final out until my unit is done with me. My unit and final out appointment are 90 minutes apart.

To summarize, is there anything that makes CIF not terrible?

Laughing at the people who are still in and dealing with CIF.

That's all I got.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

I thought it already was that? You can't punish anyone for scoring a 60 in every event, or passing height/weight by 1 pound.

Oh you sweet, sweet summer child.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ah, gotcha. Political threads have murdered my capability to detect sarcasm lately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Besides turning my joints into a fine paste and finding out just how far up my back problems from running with armor can go, cadence while doing company runs is I'm pretty sure the second most infuriating thing about Army running. No, I don't want to slinky back and forth from a dead sprint to a negative forward speed or shuffling in place and yes I do have other poo poo to do with my breathing than shout about C-130s rolling down a strip for the fiftieth loving time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

what even is running, all I ever do is weightlifting :smug:

also no matter what you do to "fix" PT attitudes, units will always have some bullshit 290 STANDARD!!!!! and make you do remedial PT even if you have a decent but not perfect score.

The concept of remedial PT is asinine anyway (for most units) if your unit is doing PT every morning anyway. So they aren't in shape doing the PT the unit is doing... so the solution is to make them do the same PT only twice a day?

Soldier shows serious lack of heart. Do not promote.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

The Marines heard you guys were bitching about the Army, so they stepped up their game in suck-factor:

http://taskandpurpose.com/hundreds-...m_medium=social

It must be wild to enlist in a force that, by design, refuses reenlistment to 85% of its forces.

300 out of 5,500 people getting the shits in basic? How the gently caress is that news? Getting sick and feeling like rear end is practically in the fine print when you sign.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not saying they should be thankful for getting sick or to embrace the suck. Just can't think of anyone who didn't get the shits in basic when they weren't stopped up like a cork from MREs. If it is especially serious in some way I don't understand I'll accept that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Or just let natural selection run it's course. The smart ones will survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

you say this like you think anybody in the army would survive the initial cut long enough to learn from the mistakes of everyone else

Sounds like all the smart ones surviving to me.