Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
A lot, but also less than virtually any other mode of transport from home station to NTC?

Typically $20-25 million per BCT rotation to, during, and back from NTC it seems.

Expensive, but pretty cheap compared to a lot of other military poo poo.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Breakdown plan is always “continue” and wreckers are always last in line for that purpose.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If your unit plans the “fun” day for the weekend instead of a day off of regular work, you’re in a bad unit, even by army standards.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think my favorite org/family day was on a Friday. A grand total of maybe 4 enlisted soldiers had a real task: 2 for bringing water and 2 medics told to bring their aid bags, but didn’t have to wear them.

Commander’s guidance was no one was allowed to task soldiers beyond that and games consisted of “bring what you want to do,” so a bunch of people went fishing, the international exchange guys got a soccer game going, and there was frisbee, cornhole, and someone brought a bunch of “occupy little kids” type games he already owned.

Doggos were very welcome. And some brought other pets like I think a parrot was there and maybe a cat in a harness.

Captains, staff officers, and Command team served lunch.

It started at 9 and food service was over by about 12:30 or 1:00 and then we got to leave for the day. Safety brief was “you’re getting off work early; be adults and don’t gently caress this up.” This also signaled that the dudes fishing could start cracking beers.

Time and monetary cost to unit: almost nothing.

People who want to turn fun or stress relief times into massive planning bullshit are the worst.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Just refuse the statement of charges, force the FLIPL, and then they will eventually regret ever doing it in the first place as their BN XO and CO become aware of what they're doing. Plus Legal when they review the IOs findings.

Yeah.

Now just leaving gear unsecured out of laziness is certainly grounds for some sort of punishment/remediation, but not the statement of charges they've chosen. If the unsecured area was legit robbed, that's a different story and they might get nailed by a FLIPL such that a statement of charges is just faster, but a FLIPL usually helps rather than hurts when it comes to paying for poo poo, save for all the informal poo poo you catch for a FLIPL.

And if the seniors decided to just throw their poo poo out as punishment for leaving it secured, just lmao, because there's this thing called custodial control of property that basically says you're not allowed to just destroy or ignore government property just because it isn't assigned to you, as long as you have the custodial ability to control it or care for it. On the micro scale, that means you're still culpable if you throw your buddies kevlar over a fence as a "prank." On the macro scale it means that if a dozen vehicles show up in your motor pool by accident, you better not cannibalize them, gently caress them up, sell them, etc, simply because they weren't formally signed over to you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
By accident in a joke about dumb arguments, Scott Aukerman discovered the forbidden phrase pair system.

https://twitter.com/scottaukerman/status/1056634344968613888?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Have fun showing up to the combatives pit only to find a sign saying they are closed and that you can’t come back until you fill out a form and bring your Platoon Sergeant with you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’d like to try the bike just to try it. I’m not some hardcore cyclist but it’s my typical source of cardio and I spent a year traveling almost exclusively by bike on hills and such.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

gently caress the walk. I would rather run. You know how loving hard it is to walk that goddamn fast?

IMO the walk is easy, it just kind of sucks and people doing the walk look goofy as hell.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Rat posted:

You can usually find that three piece sleeping bag for about $100 if you look around. I don't know how it compares to the civilian options. Still using mine for road trips cause it's warm. It stays in the car, so the bulk and weight don't bother me.

Yeah. They’re regularly available for cheap. They’re not the best option for serious backpackers but if most of your camping is in vicinity of a car or a day or two hike into back country, very solid option.

Hell, I think if you or someone you know is in vicinity of Sill, you can get them surplus direct from the army for $80ish.

It’s a good deal, even after the cost of commercially cleaning the hell out of it.

I got lucky with the surplus set I got and it was decidedly “new” and untouched. Very obviously still issue-packing and such.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 15, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
^Never too late. Your PT game is strong enough for an SFAB, I imagine, and they're always hiring! :unsmigghh:

Mustang posted:

I'm starting to realize that when they give HHC commands in BNs to captains that don't belong to that branch, they aren't the sharpest of the bunch.

Often accurate. So even when an HHC/HHB commander is good, they have to really go out of their way to prove to other people that they aren't awful. Often times, the way to do that is by doing less, not more, and just ensuring that mandatory events where senior leaders have to show up aren't poo poo shows. Senior leaders may drat near have no idea who the HHC commander is, but they'll remember if something as simple as a PAI, drug test, flu shots, or SRP are a poo poo show.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

This is 99% of trash "tactical" gear. If not veteran as tagline, cop as tagline.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

It’s a sweet gig with a Nintendo Switch.

No, it isn't.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My favorite reserved sign I've seen on post: "Reserved for expectant mothers" in front of the booze store.

It was a good thing when the post CG, years ago, banned reserved spots except handicapped spots, and then BN CDR/CSM and above, but only command teams. So an O-6 staffer still doesn't get a parking spot, just BN, BDE, DIV command teams.

The commander I replaced spent a significant amount of time explaining to me how much rear end pain he'd gone through having the parking lot repainted, labeling his spot, and then ensuring no one ever took his spot (extra hard, because the civilians sharing the lot don't give a gently caress). I already knew he wasn't a strong commander, but finding out that's what he was spending so much time on was just icing on the cake.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Parking spaces are often authorized by admin reg, but MPs don’t have enforcement responsibility.

It’s a way to have labeled spots but also relieve MPs of duties.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

i'm gonna make financial health a thing they track

legit

Hey. gently caress you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

JCS is concerned about financial health

I will happily track financial health if they eliminate [too many dumbass things we track that are "important" here]

But I'm not confident that will happen. So far we've removed like... Army TRiPS and maybe two other annual online trainings?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

In this case JCS has determined that there's too much focus on poo poo that doesn't affect readiness and it's actively detracting from readiness.

Zounds! What a discovery!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Triggs posted:

The money lost due to wasted man hours alone would be staggering. Do a case study of a single battalion. Hell, even a company. Or go even more micro than that, put a number on the amount of time wasted on DA31s when the whole process could be automated.

DA 31 packets (and a lot of personnel actions) are automated now at my unit. Upload a few documents, track progress online. So far pretty decent. Except when the internet is down or a computer isn’t available and now some clerk gets to refuse to do poo poo because they don’t take paper copies anymore because gently caress you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

lmao nah

all of this stuff is in place already

Not my fault. I’m just a cog, we all say.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

I can't believe we spend tax dollars on this.

Navy actually has enough support to require very few tax dollars, comparatively. Something like 1-2% of the football budget comes from tax dollars? It's much more at USAFA. Not sure about West Point.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

So the Army made us all get the small pox vaccine.

PFC medic is administering it. Of course he doesn't bother to tell you anything about it. Like that he's going to stab you 15 times or how to take care of it. Had to Google how to take care of it.

Having any of the medics other than the 2 SSGs treating me is kind of terrifying.

Hahahaha, wow.

We got a whole big scaremongering brief including examples and gross photos of people who poked the vaccine site it then poked their eye with infected area goo on their finger.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Anthrax shot 1 sucks, but after that, boosters didn't really mess me up.

I think I got Shot 1 or 1 and 2 of one of the three-shot Hep series like 5 times because they kept loving up and not having shot 3 on hand, or doing it at the wrong time or some crap. Finally got it one day!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Rat posted:

I didn't get smallpox because apparently if you have any eczema in your history and you get the smallpox vaccine, it can straight gently caress you up hardcore.

Same except it wasn’t eczema. The unit came out of the field literally the evening before morning screening.

A bunch of us had field condition related scrapes, cuts, acne, etc and were exempted.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Is vahakyla still alive?

Yeah. To the detriment of Vahakyla, most likely.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Pain is your body's way of telling you that you're an idiot.

So thats why you hurt more the older you get.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Are we never allowed to give blood again? I haven't tried to give blood lately, but I recall being turned away a while back because of overseas tours.

In all likelihood, you can give blood, or at least can give blood again in the not-so-distant future:

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey posted:

Just take some Motrin Mosin, you’ll be fine

fixed for TFR

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
We got a mega hosed up graphic kids’ drawing with “Trample the wounded, hurdle the dead” written in there. Hopefully Jake, age 7, isn’t a murderer.

The generic ones could be funny non sequitors. “I heard you in war. We decorated our Christmas tree *smiley face*”

My favorite might’ve been the most younger brother of a boot ever.

“My brother is army. He shine boot. He jump wall. He shoot gun. Sargent yell. Dad says prezdent mooslem.”

I swear we got that, more or less, and it was hosed but also hilarious.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Except Marines:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Definitely downwash reflecting off the deck back into the rotors causing excessive sink rate, some possibility that the crew miscalculated aircraft weight.

The odd part of the report is that it says there was no flying error, but also notes that there was no mechanical error and weather wasn't bad, so uh, what does that leave you with? Act of god? Flew a death approach profile well? Pilots were given bad training/tech data leading them to perform approaches that aren't tenable? This accident was apparently very similar to the one where an Osprey ended up settling with its tail hanging off the back end of the deck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Osprey is still somehow safer than helicopters. But helicopters want you totally dead always.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Do these mumps-like symptoms look OK?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I pinned my head in here because I kept forgetting it isn't the army thread but now i have been in so many times, I feel like I need to keep coming back to cover up my gently caress up.

A very Jody move.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1148963612192587776?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

One time at the MCX some dork yelled at me for wearing sandals, I told him to gently caress off, he called me a f*g. Then he hosed off. That’s my Marine story.

I didn't know about MCX dress codes when on a Marine base and got a politely stern and frustrated E-7 trying to school my clueless Army rear end on how knee-length board shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals on the way to the pool were 1,000% unacceptable. Still got my gatorade and sun block successfully.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arson Daily posted:

My dummy nephew who I was talking about upthread actually got in, got through boot camp, and is at his first duty station. He's enlisted, and going to refuse the vax because my in-laws all have terminal brain poisoning. Anyone know what they're going to do to him? He's only been in for about a year if that makes any difference.

General Officer memorandum of reprimand, followed by initiation of separation and/or bar to reenlistment.

A lot of people decide they'd rather not play this game and get the shot, but that is what is currently in order for vaccine refusals.

If he is ultimately separated and it's characterized as "general," which is currently the lowest form you can get for otherwise honorable service but disobeying the vaccine order, then goodbye GI Bill benefits.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can only say what's in division orders. Bar may be incorrect, I can't recall, but flag and initiation of separation is there. Final catch-all is basically "prep all the paperwork, talk to a JAG next"