Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Post more pics, looks like some nice terrain!

Or more bird pics, that's cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Thank goodness that war is graded on a curve.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

One more negative test and I'll be confirmed to be firing blanks! :zoid:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You can usually find that three piece sleeping bag for about $100 if you look around. I don't know how it compares to the civilian options. Still using mine for road trips cause it's warm. It stays in the car, so the bulk and weight don't bother me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I'm kind of over the whole veteran culture thing and don't want to seek out people to associate with based on that. If I meet someone through normal means who is already cool and it turns out they're a vet, then cool, it's one more thing in common. But it's not reason by itself for me to talk to someone or associate with a group.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Vasudus posted:

That's largely how reintegration/re-socialization works. The more indoctrinated you were (either drinking the kool-aid, or simply being in long enough for it to consume your original identity) the more effort it takes to reintegrate you and the longer it takes. It's actually very much like prison, much more than regular people ever realize. There's a lot of caveats about that statement but I'm talking broad strokes.

It took me roughly 6-7 years to deprogram, though to be fair I didn't have the best environment to do so and didn't make a lot of active effort. Now my military experience is just an important component of my identity, rather than the core driving feature.

edit: to expand on this a little, there's intermediate steps that you take to reintegrate - like a goldfish in a bag put in a tank of water. One of which is associating (or attempting to associate) with people of similar backgrounds, so you can essentially group therapy yourselves back into society. But the kicker is that you have to want to do it, and society has to be willing to accept you back. Vietnam era was a lot harder on both of those regards, particularly with people that were drafted or "volunteers" (dad was drafted, but volunteered for the Navy instead) because society didn't exactly welcome people back. So the creation and continuation of veteran groups is a reactionary social defense mechanism - allowing groups of society's outcasts to develop parallel to mainstream.

That makes a lot of sense. It took me a long while to get to this point as well, especially since I did deployed contracting for 3 years after my initial abortive attempt at college. Although the contracting helped me get over the army in a roundabout way. Unfinished business felt like it got resolved.

Still I dunno if I'm really reintegrated to society or just mostly deprogrammed.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Also lol I love this

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Vasudus posted:

It's highly unlikely that any of us will ever be considered truly 'reintegrated' in the sense that most people would consider. There's always signs, like some kind of hosed up and really lame military Voight-Kampff test. But that's not necessarily a bad thing either because our experiences drive us one way or the other. But one of the luxuries of reintegration, much like an immigrant that chooses to fully assimilate, is that you get to selectively pick what parts of your past life you want to incorporate into your new one. Sometimes it's mannerisms, traditions, a speech pattern, or a particular hobby. Sometimes it's a conscious decision, sometimes not. Everybody does it differently and at their own rates, but like an immigrant in a new land, resisting change can lead to isolation.

When I compare myself to my peers of my age group / experience level, I don't fit in at all. But I acknowledge that, and I don't care.

Yeah, I hear you there. I feel like we've discovered a good part of the answer to the question of "why don't grandpa/uncle/dad/etc talk about their time in service much?"

Because it doesn't matter.

It feels liberating, in a strange way.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I wear my old woodland boonie cap when I'm in the mountains. Shade for my head, plus it makes everyone I come across assume that I'm up there to go fishing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I didn't get smallpox because apparently if you have any eczema in your history and you get the smallpox vaccine, it can straight gently caress you up hardcore.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah it was like August 05 for me.

gently caress we're all getting old.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Tell that kid to enlist

Just make sure to throw this at them first

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

mods changed my name posted:

hmm that could use some alternate wording

Yeah you're right. I saw and skimmed it and laughed at the general gist and wasn't reading too closely.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Sorry boys, there's no hookers here.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Syrian Lannister posted:

Second one is dope as gently caress

poo poo yeah I wish I got something that rad in the mail on deployment

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

One for the road

https://www.duffelblog.com/2019/02/...e=facebook_page

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Just started reading “Battle Born” by Terminal Lance creator Max Uriarte. It’s a very different graphic novel than “The White Donkey” and I’m not sure what to think of it yet. However, it’s lovingly-illustrated and really brings out the beauty that I saw from Afghanistan during my time there.

Anyone else pick it up?

I just got it and finished it up. Really liked it. More terse than White Donkey, still serious subject matter, but also didn't leave me awake staring at the ceiling until like 3AM afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I never got those tricycle things. You get all the absolute lack of safety that you get from riding a motorcycle, but with none of the sex appeal.