Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
This outgoing commander is out of their god damned mind. Tried to lay some blame for their hosed up property accountability on my S4 shop.

I took the nuclear option and aired all their dirty laundry in their property books that they didn't know I knew about.

Pretty sure this commander will never make MAJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have, I start ETS leave in May.

Still have to be the S4 until then though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

GIP Army Officers seem to be weirdly skewed towards Armor officers for some reason.

We had a Armor branch visit recently and they talked about the ABCT being the "center of gravity" for the Armor branch. Did you guys spend more time on the Recon or Tank side of the Armor branch?

Due to going to a reconnaissance unit I spent all of my STX time in ABOLC as a scout. My only experience with tanks or bradley's was the few weeks we spent doing familiarization training. I guess it's irrelevant for me since I'm getting out but I have absolutely no interest in ever being even remotely involved with tracked vehicles or an ABCT.

The biggest reason I'm getting out is that being in the Army just loving sucks but a small part of that is the fact that Armor branch would most likely send me to an ABCT to get "turret time".

Personally I think the Armor branch should be split in two, a branch for tankers and a branch for reconnaissance that's more closely tied to MI than it is the other maneuver branches.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

You say that, but think about all of the MI companies that are attached to or organic with cav units. They're already elbow-deep in it.

This. We have old commo cards and task orgs from the last deployment that had the BDE MI Company as a part of the cav squadron. There's still talk of putting the MI company back under the cav.

Within BCTs MI Officers seem to have a preference for cav units since reconnaissance squadrons are in the business of answering priority information requirements. The infantry and tankers just want to destroy stuff.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Infantry officers don't know anything about reconnaissance so to me they seem like a strange pick for scout PLs. There aren't any 11bs in scout platoons anymore either. IN BN scouts and dismounted recon troops are all 19ds now.

Probably good for the reconnaissance efforts across the BDE since all the BN scout platoons are 19ds and have relationships with the cav squadron and now train together.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

No idea how the current infantry scout PLs are now that their platoons are all 19Ds. Probably better since 19Ds do reconnaissance full time instead of what used to be a specialty platoon for infantry.

Each time we got attached to an IN BN during the train up or at NTC, the BN Scouts, who were all still infantry at the time, didn't actually do a whole lot of reconnaissance.

The IN BNs in general didn't seem to place much importance on reconnaissance however one of the BN commanders was very open to listening to my commander on what we had to offer them. As a consequence they attached their scout platoon to us and utilized us to great effect. Was my only positive experience being attached to another BN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

We've had the same CSM for like 2 and a half years. When the hell is this guy going to leave.

Getting tired of his dumb old man knee jerk reactions to everything. "One or two guys did something wrong? Punish the whole unit to make sure it doesn't happen again."

But of course it happens again. There's hundreds of people in the BN.

I bet he will still be the CSM when I sign out on ETS leave in May.