Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm gonna hide my uniforms in the attic along with some fake teeth and fake ears so when I die my grand kids think i was a war criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Find an airsoft Luger.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

I'm leaning towards donating. I doubt I'll be the guy to talk about my AF life to grandkids unless it's anything more than "its a stepping stone to the next point in life" or "you need some direction."

I feel torn about tossing my service dress/mess dress, but they do nothing but collect dust - the ribbons haven't been updated in years. Maybe someone else will get some better use out of them.

edit: keeping the cold weather gear, OCPs and patches coz they are awesome

You realize enlisted service dress doesn't have epaulet holders or the sleeve braid right? Unless you think a hapless LT is so loving poor they shop around the Airman's Attic.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kept one of my first set of ABUs so someday I can pull them out of the attic and go"Hey kids, look at this ugly poo poo!", right before they ship me off to a home.

Some people I know managed to steal their parkas that had actual fur ruffs and not the synthetic poo poo.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Rekinom posted:

You realize enlisted service dress doesn't have epaulet holders or the sleeve braid right? Unless you think a hapless LT is so loving poor they shop around the Airman's Attic.

Nope, it totally slipped my mind.

They can cut them off, take em to a tailor, or light it on fire at their Officer revenge party. All are fine with me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rekinom posted:

Plenty of Lts buy used mess dress. Trying to find O-2/O-3 shoulder boards basically spawns a black market every August/early September.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’m sitting down here in a tent city in Puerto Rico surrounded by about 300 soldiers. I️ always knew soldiers were dumbasses, but Jesus Christ. We’re running at reduced water right now because a couple soldiers decided a 3k water bladder looked like a trampoline and put a hole in it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

We’re running at reduced water right now because a couple soldiers decided a 3k water bladder looked like a trampoline and put a hole in it.

YOU'RE WELCOME. :lol:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

DoktorLoken posted:

YOU'RE WELCOME. :lol:

Lol, you were with the guys out of LA??

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I know a IL NG unit just deployed.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Syrian Lannister posted:

I know a IL NG unit just deployed.

Yup. If I️ continue to bitch about army dumbasses over the next month, it’ll be their fault.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

pkells posted:

Lol, you were with the guys out of LA??

No, just saying as Army vets in general. But why am I not surprised it's someone from Louisiana.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Today I had to give a CAF day briefing. Despite using pictures from WikiHow, telling people how to take care of a Mogwai, and warning them not to end up like Jimi Hendrix, people told me I did a great job and they want more. WHY WON'T ANYONE STOP ME?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Softface posted:

Today I had to give a CAF day briefing. Despite using pictures from WikiHow, telling people how to take care of a Mogwai, and warning them not to end up like Jimi Hendrix, people told me I did a great job and they want more. WHY WON'T ANYONE STOP ME?

Not sure what CAF day is, but.

The problem is you made your brief mildly entertaining, both ironically and in substance. It wasn't the same dumb powerpoint bullshit everyone gets, it took a risk and didn't take itself seriously.

Actually, the problem is that you had to give the briefing at all. You must've volunteer or been voluntold and didn't expect what you were getting into.

Actually, the problem is that you enlisted. It's a mistake I recall near every day.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WTF is CAF day?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Godholio posted:

WTF is CAF day?

CAF day is how they're rebranding Wingman Days, emphasizing their buzzwords of Comprehensive Airman Fitness. You get the same dumb briefings in the morning, and then you play sports in the afternoon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Someone making six figures approved that. :ughh:

I was trying to figure out why the Combat Air Forces need a "day."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Softface posted:

CAF day is how they're rebranding Wingman Days, emphasizing their buzzwords of Comprehensive Airman Fitness. You get the same dumb briefings in the morning, and then you play sports in the afternoon.

The trick is to find an excuse to miss the 8 hour CAF day so you can get away with taking the 45 minute makeup session

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The trick is to find an excuse to miss the 8 hour CAF day so you can get away with taking the 45 minute makeup session

Back when the "spiritual fitness" portion of CAF was still specified as being a religious thing, I used to say it was a violation of my religious beliefs and just skip out of the whole day. Nobody ever tried to call me on it. Sadly, the AF smartened up and now they try and claim it's still spiritual, but not *that* kind of spiritual.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
How did the gayest Air Force in the world get beat by the Navy in penis skywriting?

Today I am ashamed.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wild T posted:

How did the gayest Air Force in the world get beat by the Navy in penis skywriting?

Today I am ashamed.

Chemtrails disperse too quickly :smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
God dammit, STRATCOM: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/11/18/report-us-nuclear-general-says-would-resist-illegal-trump-strike-order/23281804/

"As head of STRATCOM, I provide advice to the president, he will tell me what to do," he said.

"And if it's illegal, guess what's going to happen? I'm going to say, 'Mr. President, that's illegal.' And guess what he's going to do? He's going to say, 'What would be legal?' And we'll come up (with) options, with a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that's the way it works. It's not that complicated."

No, you idiot. He's going to say "YOU'RE FIRED" and find a subordinate who'll gleefully nuke Hillary Clinton's house when you tell him the order is illegal.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

BIG HEADLINE posted:

God dammit, STRATCOM: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/11/18/report-us-nuclear-general-says-would-resist-illegal-trump-strike-order/23281804/

"As head of STRATCOM, I provide advice to the president, he will tell me what to do," he said.

"And if it's illegal, guess what's going to happen? I'm going to say, 'Mr. President, that's illegal.' And guess what he's going to do? He's going to say, 'What would be legal?' And we'll come up (with) options, with a mix of capabilities to respond to whatever the situation is, and that's the way it works. It's not that complicated."

No, you idiot. He's going to say "YOU'RE FIRED" and find a subordinate who'll gleefully nuke Hillary Clinton's house when you tell him the order is illegal.
It's dumb as poo poo anyway, because the order is unlikely to be illegal due to the absence of legal checks on the President's authority in that arena.

orb truther
Oct 29, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

we don't get a lot of training on "LOAC" or the "Geneva Conventions" in AFGSC, go figure

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Officially on Terminal. Couldn't be happier, and very excited for things to come!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

xaarman posted:

Officially on Terminal. Couldn't be happier, and very excited for things to come!

gently caress yes congrats

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

xaarman posted:

Congratulation

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

jesus

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Any of you guys work in Air Force Intel? Either as officer or enlisted.

My best friend's brother is interested in going AF Intel officer and is asking me questions that I'm not qualified to answer. He is a senior in college.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

My best friend's brother is interested in going AF Intel officer and is asking me questions that I'm not qualified to answer. He is a senior in college.

I’m not intel but I work with intel officers so my main question to the boy will be whether he’s up for jerking his own dick raw for 6 hours a day before “pushing” to the bar where he demands people refer to him by his call sign like a pilot

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2017

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

How does he feel about babysitting a bunch of nerds in a windowless, poorly lit room for 12 hours a day?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I used to work with Navy intel people on an operational level staff and both of those also apply to Navy intel officers. I think Air Intel is mostly wannabe pilots. Lots of nerding out in front of computer screens and postulating over tactical poo poo they don't really understand.

But the young lad is very determined to go intel, I'm trying to stir him gently into doing actual line jobs, preferably in the Navy but can't tell someone what to do with their life.

Does AF break down their intel officers into different specialties or do they rotate between squadrons, space systems, staff work etc...? Also does AF intel do human intelligence? I'm guessing that if they do it's a small segment.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I’m not intel but I work with intel officers so my main question to the boy will be whether he’s up for jerking his own dick raw for 6 hours a day before “pushing” to the bar where he demands people refer to him by his call sign like a pilot

I'm in a comm unit that exists to support intel. Can confirm this is 100% accurate. Intel dorks manage to make comm look like normal people with normal hobbies.

Softface posted:

How does he feel about babysitting a bunch of nerds in a windowless, poorly lit room for 12 hours a day?

Does your friend's brother enjoy in depth discussions about Dungeons and Dragons, anime, or My Little Pony? Because they crop up in the SCIF with distressing regularity.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I used to work with Navy intel people on an operational level staff and both of those also apply to Navy intel officers. I think Air Intel is mostly wannabe pilots. Lots of nerding out in front of computer screens and postulating over tactical poo poo they don't really understand.

But the young lad is very determined to go intel, I'm trying to stir him gently into doing actual line jobs, preferably in the Navy but can't tell someone what to do with their life.

Does AF break down their intel officers into different specialties or do they rotate between squadrons, space systems, staff work etc...? Also does AF intel do human intelligence? I'm guessing that if they do it's a small segment.

Half of USAF intel officers are actually acquisitions officers trying to escape. For some reason they have a career path that loops through intel for 3-5 years before coming back.

The best intel officer I knew was one of those. The second best was the USAFWS graduate. The rest of them were morons.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I wrote a comprehensive post about USAF intel officers years ago. I can’t find it, but trust me, it’s still gonna hold up.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I wrote a comprehensive post about USAF intel officers years ago. I can’t find it, but trust me, it’s still gonna hold up.

Lol okay but yeah I wish I could read this.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

quote:

Go ask the career development folks at the MPF. Also pimp the TMO folks and ask them.

The final answer comes from one of those two sources. And in the end you have a 50/50 chance of being told the wrong thing anyway.

But you asked for thoughts, and after smoking a bowl and contemplating things, I had a thought I'd like to share with you.

Have you considered not marrying your fiancee?

I can count on one finger the number of guys that were USAF intel officers that I wouldn't line up outside the gas chambers if the fourth reich became a thing.

A few years from now, when you can't even stand to look at him without feeling a sense of extreme hatred and disappointment simultaneous to realizing that at 28 years old you spend 50% of your day thinking about becoming a divorcee, remember this advice: Run the gently caress away now.

Seriously, there is a 100% chance your fiancee is a tool and a loving nitwit. There is a 100% chance that he will be peer pressured into becoming a distilled version of fighter pilot gay bro'ness not by dudes that fly fighter jets, but other sperged out intel retard officers. He's going to start saying things like "Check, Rodge, Vector, Burner" and other associated lame as gently caress things, while also sometimes randomly wearing a flightsuit to work on Fridays despite his only flight time being the fam flight he poo poo his pants or puked his guts up during.

Also he's going to cheat on you. Oh man is he going to cheat on you. And there is a not too bad chance that it won't be with some good looking gal, but rather some dumb bitch enlisted intel girl that almost got a degree in psychology from her podunk state school before she decided she hated the taste of gargling frat sperm and dropped out and joined up to get a chance at being the hottest little twat in a windowless SCIF in Japan.

But don't worry about that breaking your heart, he'll never tell you. You'll be too busy caring for the 3-4 kids he demands you squeeze out in repayment to the base model BMW 3 series he's going to buy you when he gets to his second assignment at Tinker AFB.

When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12, he'll be lording over you how his job and career come first, and pray he doesn't make more money than you because that'll come up everytime you sigh audibly at the dinner table where you two will passive aggressively try to grind down each others will to live and breathe.

By this point as a captain he's going to be TDY 1-2 months a year, where he's getting half assed hand jobs from third tier strippers on excursions with the least socially inept enlisted guys in his flight-- this is probably the point where his raging alcoholism will be so clear and obvious to you that you two will start fighting every saturday before kick off when his colleges football team inevitably will take a beating. This fight won't stop until his next TDY when the sweet release of his toothless stripper infidelities and lack of home presence gives you time to bust out your big giant purple *BZZZZZ* friend whenever those walking talking pants making GBS threads machines you call children fall asleep long enough to let you deaden the nerves in your clitoris.

Soon after he'll take his third assignment, the one right before he pins on Major, and suddenly he'll be pressuring you into becoming a fundamentalist christian, and he'll delete all of his whores off of his facebook account and spend his home time posting image macros about 2nd amendment rights, and how jesus spoke english in the bible so these loving mexicans should too. At this point you two will be consigned to bi-annual loving, and only when you've drank enough cheap boxed wind to be able to stand the idea of him pounding away on you missionary style but still refusing to look you in the eyes.

This will also be the point when your oldest childs ADHD and pyromania are diagnosed, and one of your parents die. There is around a 85% chance one of you is going to be eating zoloft and klonopin out of loving pez dispensers, and waking up angry that the sweet release of death hasn't taken one of you out of this loveless hosed up marriage.

Somewhere in here the idea of swinging is going to come up casually as an almost joke when you are both in the blissful release of a nice drunken buzz, and one of you will actually be very open and interested in the idea. The other is going to wind up being an unhappy accomplice wondering why your partner wants to gently caress almost chubby guys with spray on tans, or watch the sacred hole through which your children came into this world be filled with all manner of different ethnicities of cock.

I'm late to bring this up, but sooner rather than later you're also going to screen positive for HPV, and your intel officer husband is going to take every bit of research skills he has from his job to convince you that you got it from donating blood or sitting on a toilet seat.

You didn't get it from the Red Cross or a trip to the shitter.

As it stands now though, you can walk the gently caress away and enjoy a life that I'm pretty sure would be better than the above. And you'll never have to see the inside of an officers wives meeting which is a lovecraftian hell that makes my description of your future seem like Charlie's trip through the chocolate factory.

:patriot:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I especially like the loving=loving word filter. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

:wow:

Also surprisingly accurate about Navy Intel officers who work in air wing staff.

• Locked thread