Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Got to watch a Chief-chasing SMSgt select (who also happens to be my rater) get reamed by a MAJCOM IG team during an exercise this week for not establishing security or positive control of any kind while running a PDF line. Something I had told her and the 2Lt someone was cruel enough to make the PDF OIC about roughly ten times over two days. Mostly after coming in from a smoke and seeing exercise deployers in Kevlars and gas mask carriers puffing away at the smoke pit. Even showed them the regs that PDF must maintain positive control to prevent a deployer from wandering the gently caress off and missing movement because otherwise someone will, every time. Suggested several easy fixes and go-ahead, got blown off repeatedly.

It didn't really get addressed until I eventually clued in an inspector after getting sick of trying to unfuck such a basic mistake. They told a Major to go wander off. PDF didn't realize he was missing (surprise, they didn't get good accountability either) for several hours and eventually found him taking a nap in the IDO's office. Every time someone bitches about why we do exercises, its because of people like this.

I can't loving wait for the hot wash. It'll probably come out that I burned her but gently caress it. I tell you enough times to fix your poo poo on the bro level, don't bitch when I eventually drop the hammer and you look incompetent.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That would be incredibly lovely for them to out you like that. Also makes them look bad for not noticing on their own.

It was pretty interesting watching the flail after our wing failed a MAJCOM ORI. :lol: Fast-burning WG/CC's career hit a brick wall on that one. Technically we should've become non-deployable immediately and deployed units recalled...yeah, that didn't happen.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Of course it didn't happen, most of the rules and restrictions that the military has are usually made up out of thin air with consequences that a general could just blow off at any time. Literally the only regulation that has any real weight is Title 10. Everything else can be thrown out for the sake of expediency.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh yeah, I think everyone knew they weren't going to recall the loving AWACS from the three theaters we were operating in at the time. But until that was quietly swept aside, group/squadron leadership was pinging big time.

Edit: Four if you count Noble Eagle/NORTHCOM.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Some chucklefuck apparently decided that I, of all the thousands of Chair Force desk warriors sitting around doing nothing, am top of The List to loving deploy. (I :psyduck:ed irl when i found out)

...anyway so the equipment list for it has ~ballistic~ BPE googly-goggles on it. I gotta wear glasses cause gently caress contacts but I cannot fuckin stand gas mask inserts They hurt and I can't see much better with them than just going without glasses. Guessing I'm gonna have to take the gas mask inserts and keep googly-goggles they give me but are there any kinds I can get that let me just wear my normal glasses? Or are there any approved types of clip-on whatevers that I can attach to my glasses?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 31, 2017

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

Try hard officers and enlisted alike are the worst people imaginable

Anyone with a loving flat top. I swear I've never met someone with a flat top that wasn't a douche.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Friar Zucchini posted:

Some chucklefuck apparently decided that I, of all the thousands of Chair Force desk warriors sitting around doing nothing, am top of The List to loving deploy. (I :psyduck:ed irl when i found out)

...anyway so the equipment list for it has ~ballistic~ BPE googly-goggles on it. I gotta wear glasses cause gently caress contacts but I cannot fuckin stand gas mask inserts They hurt and I can't see much better with them than just going without glasses. Guessing I'm gonna have to take the gas mask inserts and keep googly-goggles they give me but are there any kinds I can get that let me just wear my normal glasses? Or are there any approved types of clip-on whatevers that I can attach to my glasses?

You shouldn't have to wear the gas mask inserts all the time. Not sure what other glasses you're talking about.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

If you don't wear Pit Vipes, you aint poo poo.

I'm making a software to unfuck scheduling CAF-wide. Have enough top-cover and codingskills to make it happen. Will the mil industrial complexers assassinate me?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Friar Zucchini posted:

The only time you'll ever wear your gas mask inserts is if you actually wear the gas mask. On all four of my deployments, I wore normal eyeglasses. If you're going to Al Udeid, you can also wear contacts. I don't remember if contacts were authorized in Afghanistan.

The new gas mask inserts aren't lovely glasses on a rubber band. You don't actually wear them at all; they clip into the M-50 gas mask. I've never worn mine, but the old rubber band inserts sucked so I just never wore them. When I deploy, I just tell the UDM/IPR that I don't need glasses. Makes the bag drag much easier.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Get PRK.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I wore contacts in Afghanistan. 1-800-Contacts delivered right to me there and the BX trailer sold contact solution. Nobody gave a poo poo.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

This x1000, best decision of my life and cost about $150 out of pocket total.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dominoes posted:

I'm making a software to unfuck scheduling CAF-wide. Have enough top-cover and codingskills to make it happen. Will the mil industrial complexers assassinate me?

No, but you're probably boned as collateral damage if whatever high side system you put this on has/fails a security audit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dominoes posted:

If you don't wear Pit Vipes, you aint poo poo.

Yep.

Good luck though, it's a ridiculously and disjointed process as it stands.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I freely admit to wearing my gas mask inserts as a civilian but only because it's way better than paying out the rear end for prescription safety goggles

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Cross posted from the Aviation Ask/Tell:

xaarman posted:

While true that Pilots have higher compensation on the outside, 12R CSOs are horrendously undermanned at Offutt AFB. If you can access the C2ISR Webinar on MyAF, you can see the raw numbers. Furthermore, and I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest here, Pilots take a lot longer to get up to full quals. I'm talking Chief Pilot IP/EP FTU instructor type.

Coincidentally, my friend just linked the congressional testimony at https://www.c-span.org/video/?426158-1/military-officials-explain-reasons-behind-pilot-shortage&start=1672 and I'm making my way through it now. They actually seem reasonable here with the real issues, not the fluff we normally get.

Starts at 25:59 -
OKAY, I PARTICULARLY WANTED TO TALK ABOUT NON-MONETARY INDUCEMENTS. AND I NOTED THAT IN THE REPORT, THERE WAS A REFERENCE MADE TO 260 DAYS AWAY DURING DEPLOYMENT FOR SOME OF THESE AVIATORS AND 110 DAYS AWAY EVEN WHEN YOU ARE ON HOME TEMP RARE DUTY. THOSE ARE LONG STRETCHES AWAY. AND IN YOUR ACTUAL STATEMENT, GENERAL GROSSO, THERE'S A CHART HERE THAT SHOWS, ACTUALLY THE RANKING OF THE RULE OF CIVILIAN JOBS IS MUCH LOWER THAN ADDITIONAL DUTIES WHICH WAS AT 37% AND MAINTAINING WORK/LIFE BALANCE AND MEETING FAMILY COMMITMENTS WHICH WAS AT 31%. ABILITY OF CIVILIAN JOBS WAS AT 24%. SO I THINK THE LURE OF COMMERCIAL AIRLINE JOBS WHILE IT DOES HAVE SOME ALLURE, I THINK ADDRESSING THOSE TOP TWO WOULD BE SIGNIFICANT SO TO EACH OF YOU, I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THE QUESTION IN A MINUTE AND 36. WHAT IF ANYTHING YOU ARE DOING TO TRYING TO ADDRESS THE NON-MONETARY ISSUES.

Military aviation is the world's coolest job. I'm perfectly happy with the level of compensation I'm getting. I know I'll never make 787 Captain pay, but it's not bad. It's all the other garbage that makes the job garbage. If all I had to do was show up, fly, do other minor tasks and go home, I'd never leave.

I'm a 12R somewhere in the 55th WG :xd:. My personal opinion is that the 12R community is undermanned because the AF keeps trying to kill off 12X, only to realize that yes, bombers/AFSOC/Recce exist and we do in fact need officers who aren't pilots. Seniority wise we're not hurting for O4+, we're hard up on O2 and down, and the 12Rs we do have are all mixed up incorrectly with regards to Nav/EWO. After the last major RIF I can count on 1 hand the number of 12Rs I've seen get out, and those are the people who are profoundly unhappy with military life. Almost all of us are contemplating getting out, but we're looking at our compatriots on the outside and realizing that we're going to take a paycut and we probably wont ever get up to the ~$150k a LtCol makes. On top of that we look at the jobs being offered for 12Rs and realize that deployments and TDYs included, the military is a cakewalk full of 2 hour lunches and 3pm "workout sessions". A senior Capt with $650 flight pay and a dependent makes ~$120k (I've compared this with an Engineer 4 friend in my area who makes $115k and it checks, my monthly take home is a little higher before retirement withdrawls) and an LtCol makes ~$150k, something that most 12Rs wont ever get close to making without a mil retirement supplementing us while also working straight 9 hour days with each hour accounted for.

Pilots on the other-hand can get out, take an initial paycut then be back to SrCapt equivalent inside 3 years (assuming they're flying for a legacy airline). After that 3 years they're racing their AD compatriots in pay while all the while building seniority (and doing much less work). The only incentive to stay in therefore, is the quality of military flying, and the mil lifestyle. There is a SIGNIFICANT financial incentive to GTFO and go to an airline.

I hear a lot of complaining from pilots about how hard the .mil lifestyle is and how the AF isn't pampering them enough (my words :D) and how money isn't a factor but to me that just doesn't check. I NEVER hear that from any other flying officer, NEVER. At least when I joined I was told flat out "you're an officer first flyer second", and I was expected to abide by that (on a side note I want to choke every LT pilot who tells me they don't do office work because they're just there to fly). I personally think that if the airlines paid about half of what they do right now then you wouldn't have near the pilot shortage we have now.

My opinion may be biased, I joined later in life after some pretty lovely jobs and consider the military one of the easiest jobs I've ever had, deployments and TDYs included. There are absolutely things that I'd love to have change, assignment preference for one, but I really don't see a work/life balance issue from where I stand. I'm actually looking at being a 10year crossover to pilot just so I can get in on some of that sweet sweet airline pay when I retire. I'd never have considered it before but you guys keep getting out and the AF keeps getting more desperate. I'm one of those whackos who actually likes the military and doesn't mind the office work so I'd be more than happy to keep going lol

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 4, 2017

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
This is the Air Force, when did we give a gently caress about flying planes?

Wild T fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 4, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

JacksLibido posted:

Cross posted from the Aviation Ask/Tell:

I'm a 12R somewhere in the 55th WG :xd:. My personal opinion is that the 12R community is undermanned because the AF keeps trying to kill off 12X, only to realize that yes, bombers/AFSOC/Recce exist and we do in fact need officers who aren't pilots. Seniority wise we're not hurting for O4+, we're hard up on O2 and down, and the 12Rs we do have are all mixed up incorrectly with regards to Nav/EWO. After the last major RIF I can count on 1 hand the number of 12Rs I've seen get out, and those are the people who are profoundly unhappy with military life. Almost all of us are contemplating getting out, but we're looking at our compatriots on the outside and realizing that we're going to take a paycut and we probably wont ever get up to the ~$150k a LtCol makes. On top of that we look at the jobs being offered for 12Rs and realize that deployments and TDYs included, the military is a cakewalk full of 2 hour lunches and 3pm "workout sessions". A senior Capt with $650 flight pay and a dependent makes ~$120k (I've compared this with an Engineer 4 friend in my area who makes $115k and it checks, my monthly take home is a little higher before retirement withdrawls) and an LtCol makes ~$150k, something that most 12Rs wont ever get close to making without a mil retirement supplementing us while also working straight 9 hour days with each hour accounted for.

Pilots on the other-hand can get out, take an initial paycut then be back to SrCapt equivalent inside 3 years (assuming they're flying for a legacy airline). After that 3 years they're racing their AD compatriots in pay while all the while building seniority (and doing much less work). The only incentive to stay in therefore, is the quality of military flying, and the mil lifestyle. There is a SIGNIFICANT financial incentive to GTFO and go to an airline.

I hear a lot of complaining from pilots about how hard the .mil lifestyle is and how the AF isn't pampering them enough (my words :D) and how money isn't a factor but to me that just doesn't check. I NEVER hear that from any other flying officer, NEVER. At least when I joined I was told flat out "you're an officer first flyer second", and I was expected to abide by that (on a side note I want to choke every LT pilot who tells me they don't do office work because they're just there to fly). I personally think that if the airlines paid about half of what they do right now then you wouldn't have near the pilot shortage we have now.

My opinion may be biased, I joined later in life after some pretty lovely jobs and consider the military one of the easiest jobs I've ever had, deployments and TDYs included. There are absolutely things that I'd love to have change, assignment preference for one, but I really don't see a work/life balance issue from where I stand. I'm actually looking at being a 10year crossover to pilot just so I can get in on some of that sweet sweet airline pay when I retire. I'd never have considered it before but you guys keep getting out and the AF keeps getting more desperate. I'm one of those whackos who actually likes the military and doesn't mind the office work so I'd be more than happy to keep going lol

Be glad, you've been fortunate. If you're a captain with over a year TIG and you're still getting long lunches and PT breaks, you're in a completely different Air Force than the one I was in.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

Be glad, you've been fortunate. If you're a captain with over a year TIG and you're still getting long lunches and PT breaks, you're in a completely different Air Force than the one I was in.

Oh, I'm an '08 lol, I'm just good at paperwork.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wild T posted:

This is the Air Force, when did we give a gently caress about flying planes?

I thought it was a Maintainers world :shrug:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

JacksLibido posted:

Like my previous post, I have zero complaints about military officer pay. I think we are fairly well compensated and anyone who stays is easily going to be upper-midle-class. That being said, every 12X I know who was unhappy got out when the getting out was good... VSP and finally RIFs murdered the numbers. Those that are left... are more your type, who are happy to keep doing the things you're doing for the current compensation. When I was at a COCOM HQ, there were mil and civilians who absolutely thrived in a bureaucracy, knowing the rules, how to navigate the different directorates, writing quips, etc. I, and most pilots I know, are not those types of people.

If there's one thing the AF has taught me, it's to chase Quality of Life over pay. If the other side QoL also includes a pay bump, I'm not gonna complain. The Navs I'm friends with who have gotten out are doing quite well for themselves... maybe making less $$, but there is no price on sanity. One is still doing Nav stuff teaching ground school at American Airlines (and includes flight benefits), others went to law school or became financial advisors. These dudes are going to be successful no matter what they do, and I'm very happy/excited for them.

quote:

It's nice to have the choice. I just flew a sortie where I onloaded 85k at night in the clouds, I'll know I'll tell stories about that and miss those good times, but priorities are changing in life and I don't like being gone with sub 2 weeks notice for 2 months because some jackwagon failed PUP.

quote:

The Officer first pilot second is a line of bullshit I used to get annoyed at, but now I openly tell them to pound sand. AF recruiting commercials don't sell you on writing OPRs or award packages, and the Thunderbirds don't exist to make sure we're DTS experts. I joined to fly, fight and win. The rest is queepy bullshit, and just like Office Space, I will work just hard enough to make sure people doesn't notice me while I'm doing what motivated me to join in the first place.

I agree that if airlines didn't pay as much, the exodus wouldn't be as vast.... but it would still be there. The airline seniority system encourages people to get hired ASAP and are punished for waiting in the way of lower line numbers. The USAFs own words is that the culture is driving people out now that they have options. Pilots didn't have options before, now we do and people are voting with their feet.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 4, 2017

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

xaarman posted:

Like my previous post, I have zero complaints about military officer pay. I think we are fairly well compensated and anyone who stays is easily going to be upper-midle-class. That being said, every 12X I know who was unhappy got out when the getting out was good... VSP and finally RIFs murdered the numbers. Those that are left... are more your type, who are happy to keep doing the things you're doing for the current compensation. When I was at a COCOM HQ, there were mil and civilians who absolutely thrived in a bureaucracy, knowing the rules, how to navigate the different directorates, writing quips, etc. I, and most pilots I know, are not those types of people.

If there's one thing the AF has taught me, it's to chase Quality of Life over pay. If the other side QoL also includes a pay bump, I'm not gonna complain. The Navs I'm friends with who have gotten out are doing quite well for themselves... maybe making less $$, but there is no price on sanity. One is still doing Nav stuff teaching ground school at American Airlines (and includes flight benefits), others went to law school or became financial advisors. These dudes are going to be successful no matter what they do, and I'm very happy/excited for them.

It's nice to have the choice. I just flew a sortie where I onloaded 85k at night in the clouds, I'll know I'll tell stories about that and miss those good times, but priorities are changing in life and I don't like being gone with sub 2 weeks notice for 2 months because some jackwagon failed PUP.

No Capt. who gets out is going to starve that's for sure. If you REALLY don't like the AF then yeah for sure peace out, especially if you're a pilot and can make bank. The military really isn't for everybody and I hold no ill will against anybody who either doesn't like it or doesn't really fit in.

quote:

The Officer first pilot second is a line of bullshit I used to get annoyed at, but now I openly tell them to pound sand. AF recruiting commercials don't sell you on writing OPRs or award packages, and the Thunderbirds don't exist to make sure we're DTS experts. I joined to fly, fight and win. The rest is queepy bullshit, and just like Office Space, I will work just hard enough to make sure people doesn't notice me while I'm doing what motivated me to join in the first place.

Unfortunately that is how the AF is set up and quite frankly I'm ok with it. From what I've seen there really isn't enough office work OR flying work to make each a full time job with the manning we have. A single civilian can do all the RA duties of a 150man sq, same thing for mobility/training/stan-eval etc. 6-9 GS9's can do an entire sqs paperwork which would leave what for all the pilots/navs/ewo's/enlisted sitting around? You can only study so much before you just aren't learning anything new and stop showing up to work on weekdays. When I first came in we still had orderly rooms and it made stuff really easy for me, but also meant that I had a lot of half days/8am show and go. It's a waste of money IMO. I can be a flight commander of a training shop and a 12X instructor/evaluator just fine, it's not EASY but it's not HARD.

This may very well be due to me being on a large crewed aircraft though, things like fighters or slicks may be very different.

quote:

I agree that if airlines didn't pay as much, the exodus wouldn't be as vast.... but it would still be there. The airline seniority system encourages people to get hired ASAP and are punished for waiting in the way of lower line numbers. The USAFs own words is that the culture is driving people out now that they have options. Pilots didn't have options before, now we do and people are voting with their feet.

Which is exactly my point. I don't blame pilots for getting out in droves, I sure as hell would if I were a pilot, and in fact I'll probably be putting in a pilot package this year as a drat Maj. select just BECAUSE the airlines pay so much. However, most of the arguments I see on FB or on other forums try to make it into a lifestyle argument and how pilots would stay if the AF was just 'easier' or something, which I will absolutely call BS on given that if lifestyle really was the issue you'd see a mass exodus of 12's, 13's and whatever it is RPAs are. The fact that we aren't seeing a mass exodus from those career fields at the same level as pilots points to the reason being money, and the solution lying with the Airlines.

IMO if the ATP for airlines rule was reversed you'd see a massive drop in Airline pay and a corresponding drop in pilots punching out. All these other round-about fixes just feed into the perception that all pilots are whiny primadonnas who wont be happy until they're basically overpaid pampered warrant officers.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 4, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So those civilian jobs are actually staffed at Offutt? No wonder you have free time. We had one civilian in a squadron of 350+ people, and that was the commander's secretary. The CSS was full of whoever was pregnant or long term DNIF at the time, which meant nobody knew how to do their jobs.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Bruh, a 787 captain gets paid like 12.5k to fly to Singapore, sit for 2 days in a luxury hotel, and then fly back. Like, I'm sitting here reading the bid package. That's insane. Do that about 2.5 times a month and you're clearing 475k a year total compensation.

No PT tests. No deployments. No OPRs. No awards packages. No DTS. No additional duties. Just go fly to China, eat some dim sum, get a beej, maybe hit the gym or watch some Netflix, and then fly back. That's all you gotta do.

While I'm sure taking a 75k onload sounds super fun, I think you can get creative and find newer, better ways to have fun than making 85k living in loving Omaha.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Rekinom posted:

Bruh, a 787 captain gets paid like 12.5k to fly to Singapore, sit for 2 days in a luxury hotel, and then fly back. Like, I'm sitting here reading the bid package. That's insane. Do that about 2.5 times a month and you're clearing 475k a year total compensation.

No PT tests. No deployments. No OPRs. No awards packages. No DTS. No additional duties. Just go fly to China, eat some dim sum, get a beej, maybe hit the gym or watch some Netflix, and then fly back. That's all you gotta do.

While I'm sure taking a 75k onload sounds super fun, I think you can get creative and find newer, better ways to have fun than making 85k living in loving Omaha.

I've already been convinced, don't need to rage at me. The original post in the Aviation Ask/Tell thread was a debate about the mass pilot exodus being caused by such high paying job opportunities on the outside, or the lovely culture of active duty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rekinom posted:

But the burnout rate is really high. Go talk to some Delta pilots, their schedules are really hectic and its difficult to gain seniority.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

CommieGIR posted:

But the burnout rate is really high. Go talk to some Delta pilots, their schedules are really hectic and its difficult to gain seniority.

It's like they pay super high for a reason. My brother flew a Cessna Caravan in Southern Africa for about 4 months and was being paid almost 25k a month to do it. But the hours were terrible and Africa sucks so he burned out and came back tot he states with 6 figures in his pocket and opened up a business. It's not that uncommon a story for pilots getting high paying jobs in lovely places/lovely companies to leave them after less than a year

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's like they pay super high for a reason. My brother flew a Cessna Caravan in Southern Africa for about 4 months and was being paid almost 25k a month to do it. But the hours were terrible and Africa sucks so he burned out and came back tot he states with 6 figures in his pocket and opened up a business. It's not that uncommon a story for pilots getting high paying jobs in lovely places/lovely companies to leave them after less than a year

True. We had a developer I worked with who was an ex-Delta pilot. He flew regionals, but was pulling in something like $30k/month. So he just stacked it up, saved it, and then ditched and switched to programming.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Godholio posted:

So those civilian jobs are actually staffed at Offutt? No wonder you have free time. We had one civilian in a squadron of 350+ people, and that was the commander's secretary. The CSS was full of whoever was pregnant or long term DNIF at the time, which meant nobody knew how to do their jobs.

I probably said it wrong, I meant that all the functions of a sq COULD be done by a handful of civilians, so having a hundred CGOs sitting around able to do it should be essentially just as good.

I mean, I'd LOVE to have an orderly room back and not have to deal with anything, but if it were up to me I'd use that money to give us pay raises or matching TSP contributions or something.

xaarman posted:

I've already been convinced, don't need to rage at me. The original post in the Aviation Ask/Tell thread was a debate about the mass pilot exodus being caused by such high paying job opportunities on the outside, or the lovely culture of active duty.

Yeah, the money is so good at this point I think you'd have to have a pretty major reason to even think about staying in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Except what are those CGOs supposed to be doing for the first 2-4 years? Becoming world-class experts in their tactical field. What did they sign up to do? Fly. We've spent almost 20 years cutting training and cutting support personnel then pushing the flyers/maintainers/whatever into those support roles as additional duties that they're not trained for, and patting ourselves on the back for the double savings and it's bullshit. Readiness is trash, people are burning out, and most of the best/brightest are loving leaving as soon as they can which further cuts readiness. Half the people who stay in are doing it because they're close enough to retirement they can coast to retirement on passing PT scores, not getting a DUI, and camping out in the ADO shop. The other half are careerist hacks, patches, or, in the smallest minority, the good ones.

Edit: Unrelated news:

DC ANG F-16 went down in Maryland; pilot ejected safely and was plastered all over twitter before he even hit the ground.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I just walked into the bathroom where someone poo poo on the floor. Right in front of the toilet. Then stepped in it and tracked it out of the bathroom. What the gently caress kind of people do that?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hamlet442 posted:

I just walked into the bathroom where someone poo poo on the floor. Right in front of the toilet. Then stepped in it and tracked it out of the bathroom. What the gently caress kind of people do that?

If you hate your job enough, anything becomes possible.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Hamlet442 posted:

Was it a public bathroom?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah. It's right next to our ops floor. My NCOIC told me that this happened in a different bathroom about a year ago downstairs, too.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

CommieGIR posted:

Well that's because Delta pilots are universally known as whiny bitches.

Rekinom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 7, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I heard tell of a mid-shift where the guys would challenge each other to perch on top of the stall walls and try to get the turd into the toilet bowl

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Buca di Bepis posted:

I heard tell of a mid-shift where the guys would challenge each other to perch on top of the stall walls and try to get the turd into the toilet bowl

could they assume any position or did they have to gargoyle on the stall walls?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Hamlet442 posted:

Afghans

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

He specified people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Hamlet442 posted:

I automatically assumed this was in a dorm some where, probably tech school. Not like I have seen this before. .....

• Locked thread