Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Foglesong :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

One of my best friends was in that class. A TSGT from CE who will be Cyber Operations....Was stationed at Guam before OTS....

A guy from my Guard CE squadron was in that class too. Kinda nice actually, because I just went through last year, and I won't be the junior LT anymore. Not like it matters anyway, because :lol: Guard

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
We've got an airshow on our guard base this weekend too, and god drat is the Raptor demo incredible. It almost makes up for putting up with all the bullshit.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Anyone remember the name of the place? I'm heading out there for AT in a few weeks. Also, any recommendations for places to checkout nearby would be cool too.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I was about to get out after my ANG enlistment was up in 2019, but then a CE commissioning slot fell into my lap, so I guess I'll ride it out for the retirement. One weekend a month as a noble is worth the O-4/5 retirement check later on.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

As mentioned, applying to OTS is 9-12 months depending on when you apply. If you don't get selected, you get to start over. If you do, you could go to OTS anywhere from a month later to 10 months later. And you won't find out your career field until halfway through OTS itself.

From what I've been seeing, OTS classes are filled up for a while. Apparently people who were selected at the most recent boards are getting late 2018/early 2019 class dates. The AF is talking about shortening OTS so they can squeeze more classes per year in

So for the dude asking, I'd start the process ASAP, because there's a good chance even if you're selected, it could be 2 years from now until to leave.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Fat_Cow posted:

Talked to the recruiter over the phone, and was told "We're 200% backed up as of two months ago, so it would be about two years if you wanted in OTS". Well there goes that idea. :madmax:

How quickly did he spin that into "...but if you enlisted, I could get you out the door in a month!"?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Not that the Air Guard is that bad, but every once in a while I have days where I'm glad I joined. Like today.

A few of us got to swing by a gunnery range where SFS was qualifying on their heavier weapons. They had extra ammo, so we got to shoot the M2, 240B, and the 203. At one point, they left me and another Lt unsupervised with two 203's, about a hundred practice rounds, a wide open range, and instructions to "Not do what other CATM guys do and shoot straight up and see if you can dodge the falling round, but have fun." We probably fired 20 rounds trying to get the shots to hit each other in mid-air. It felt like I was loving around at a driving range with a bucket of balls. Our fighter pilot Vice Wing CC even stopped by to fire off a few rounds, and then spent 20 minutes on his hands and knees in the dirt helping pick up brass. I wasn't expecting that.

Sidenote: drill weekends have become so much better since I commissioned. A few months ago I got to ride around in an Abrams on the airfield with a tank crew who had permission from the Wing CC to tear up the grass and have some fun.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

17S. Figure since its the Guard and all there will be some more hoops to jump through but got the official email today.

Congrats man, being a guard officer is a pretty sweet deal. I just commissioned last year, and most drill weekends involve me doing whatever I feel like under the guise of "getting to know the squadron". That'll probably change when I get some responsibility, but for now, drill is way better than it was when I was enlisted.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I’m sitting down here in a tent city in Puerto Rico surrounded by about 300 soldiers. I️ always knew soldiers were dumbasses, but Jesus Christ. We’re running at reduced water right now because a couple soldiers decided a 3k water bladder looked like a trampoline and put a hole in it.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

DoktorLoken posted:

YOU'RE WELCOME. :lol:

Lol, you were with the guys out of LA??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Syrian Lannister posted:

I know a IL NG unit just deployed.

Yup. If I️ continue to bitch about army dumbasses over the next month, it’ll be their fault.

• Locked thread