Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
That Colonel in New York that raped (statutory) a 15 year old girl three times is only getting 6 months in jail and ten years of probation. Oh, and he gets to keep his retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

TLG James posted:

So apparently nearly all tattoos are now allowed. A good change? :wtf:

All tattoos or all locations? Or both?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

TLG James posted:

No longer a 25% rule. Everything except hands/neck/face. Full sleeves are allowed.

Jesus, it's about time. Found the article for others who are interested.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

At this point the girl loses her confidence and shuts down.

Where was the NCOIC to defend the Personnelist, calm down the Lt, and show him where and when he was notified via email/myPers? I used to print out everything so that they always felt really dumb trying to storm into the office and I have proof that I emailed them.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I disagree and I'm just a lowly enlisted guy. LoR fucks his career and he's just starting and learning. It's likely he's just frustrated at the assignment process and is ignorant of it. He probably heard from several classmates that they had received their orders but he hadn't received his yet. He's likely convinced he turned everything in and is pissed because now he has to scramble to PCS and get all of his poo poo to whatever duty station he's going to. A talking to or "mentoring" by his leadership and a simple apology will serve to make him a better officer rather than giving him an LoR for losing his cool in an office. I have the same opinion if it were some Airman. I hold the belief that paperwork is used far too often and severely when you can just talk to them to figure out what the issue is and resolve it. Punishing him while he's already frustrated and confused with the PCS process is only going to make it worse.

And the Air Force's policy on avoiding swearing is loving stupid.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Has anyone else been seeing this 9,300 reenlistment ineligible people due to course 14/15 on JQP and AF Amn/NCO/SNCO pages? Are they being denied reenlistment entirely? Or is it 9,300 people ineligible right now, but can still pass and get their eligibility back?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I wore contacts in Afghanistan. 1-800-Contacts delivered right to me there and the BX trailer sold contact solution. Nobody gave a poo poo.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I just walked into the bathroom where someone poo poo on the floor. Right in front of the toilet. Then stepped in it and tracked it out of the bathroom. What the gently caress kind of people do that?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah. It's right next to our ops floor. My NCOIC told me that this happened in a different bathroom about a year ago downstairs, too.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Nope. Active base next to an ops floor.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
China deployed 150,00 troops to the northern border of North Korea.
South Korea is gearing up, whatever that means.
We're deploying a carrier strike group.
North Korea is interpreting the strikes in Syria as a warning and I think I remember reading something about them declaring that they're ready to fight to the death (can't find the article).

Hope none of you are there. This might get interesting.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Better advice: Get out and do literally anything else.

Side note: I am not following my own advice.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
That's why you shoot for mediocrity. Everybody else fights over volunteer bullshit for 10% of the promotion ratings and you get sit back stress-free, focusing on whatever else you want to do.

My NCOIC is the same rank as I am. He's the interim flight chief, leads several volunteer groups, and is the general go-to guy for a lot of stupid tasks. I have the same job as the two Airmen I supervise and don't volunteer for poo poo. NCOIC got the same Promote statement I did for 10 times the effort.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I did nights when I was deployed, 7pm to 7am, and it rocked. Most of the leadership went to bed by midnight and we had the night for ourselves. I was exempt from the Army's dumbass PT, I could go to the bathroom in peace, and the gym was empty if I felt like lifting at 2 am. My meals were backwards, but it wasn't too bad once you got used to having cereal for dinner.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I saw on Reddit that we might be switching to OCPs soon, and my Command Chief just acknowledged it saying the CMSAF is pushing for it along with unit patches on the arm.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Would you rather have a snack bar ran by a volunteered, disgruntled Airman or underworked Lieutenant, or would you rather have windows and sunlight?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
My wife is going through the commissioning process right now and she's been going at it for about a year now with the results for her board in about two weeks. If she's selected, she still has to wait for her medical clearance at MEPS and then an opening for her job before she can even go. The recruiter told her that it could be another year before she leaves for OTS after selection.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

:smithicide:

I don't know how much longer I can pretend to find value in the coursework.

At this point, my written assignments are just critiques of the factual inaccuracies of the course material. 90% of my last PLDP is pointing out what the OODA Loop was actually intended to be, rather than the weirdo circular management tool the Air Force tries to teach.

Trying to word criticism professionally enough to get passing grades is the only real challenge. Spite is the only thing that still motivates me.

Was NCOA ever good?

If it makes you feel any better, University of Florida teaches OODA loop for its management course. To add to that even more, all of the stuff I glanced over for course 15 reads almost exactly like my management course. I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote course 15 just copied straight out of some college business management course.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Copied? Or licensed for a tremendous amount of money and the promise of a job?

I'm thinking rewritten to be generic enough so that some close-to-retirement SNCOs and officers can get high-ranking GS jobs permanently writing them without having to pay for material that already exists formally in college courses.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Looks like I'm getting a post-Korea follow on to Peterson.

For the first time in my career, I'm going to try to be proactive about where I live, rather than figuring it out after I get there.

Anybody ever live in Colorado Springs? Neighborhood recommendations? I assume I'll buy a house, but that's by no means a sure thing.

I lived in the Springs for a little over 4 years. Buying a house right now might be a bad time since their market is expensive. A friend of mine bought a house 2 years ago, did no improvements, and just sold it for 45k more than he paid. So just keep that in mind when looking around. I'd stick to the east side and away from Fort Carson as much as you can. Base housing is small, but doable if you don't have a big family and don't mind doing that. I lived in the apartments off Barnes and they were pretty nice and not too expensive. Powers and Academy are the biggest roads there and living somewhere between them is ideal. The city has about 450,000 people in it, but it's easy to get across it and doesn't take too long. Traffic isn't too horrible. I didn't have kids when I lived there, so I can't speak to the schools if you have school-aged children. I'm phone posting right now, but I can add more tomorrow if you have more questions.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

The east side is an ugly rear end dump and full of military folks. Briargate is nasty as gently caress too. The whole town is a cesspool honestly.

If you want the best experience Stay west of 25 and north of 24. Or move to Castle Rock and commute. And the housing market is insane between Denver and Colorado Springs right now. Denver is so short on houses people are actually choosing to move to Colorado Springs and commute to places with an economy and not just retiring from the military or getting stuck there.

It's been seven years since I've been there. It's a bummer that you think the east side has gone to poo poo. I generally stayed around the houses in that area. The west side of 25 was nice for the view and the chances of seeing someone military is smaller, but I would hate the commute. I was at Schriever so it was a 30 minute drive for me and I was already on the east side. I can't imagine the commute living west of 25 and driving all the way out to Schriever. A friend of mine lives in Castle Rock and drives to Schriever, and his commute is an hour. I wouldn't want to leave my house at 630 and get home at 530, but I suppose your days off would be nice.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
No bonfire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
My wife started the OTS process in late summer 2016 and still doesn't know if she's been selected. She's meeting the board releasing in a few weeks, and if she's selected her recruiter said it could be a full year before she even leaves for training. Basically, expect that the process will take a very long time with a lot of unknowns and constant dates pushing back. The board that releases in a few weeks was supposed to release the week before Thanksgiving and her recruiter said expect nothing until January.

• Locked thread