Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Unless something has changed in 15 years, the only reason Keesler has a runway is so the Hurricane Hunters can take off and land.
They fly the pipeliners in now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

PS4 is for adults who are into kids.

anime

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There's a new workplace violence video they put out that has a creepy guy in glasses punch the wall or his cubicle and knocking down a calendar when he doesn't get promoted, making threatening Facebook comments to his girlfriend, and then finally shooting up his work center. It's a lot of fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They had an unlisted Youtube link to it in a mass training thing. As soon as the PowerPoint gets released I should be able to find it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Any idea if a "business communications" class would coubt for CCAF? I was doing UCA interviews and one of our guys has a bachelors already but hasn't put in for his CCAF yet. He didn't take public speaking but has this business comm class.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

nullscan posted:

I'd laugh if I make master with a Not Ready due to all these chuckle fucks who can't pass a simple AF test. I took 15 and 14 back to back in the span of a month without studying poo poo. Cmon guys.
Back when I took Course 3 they'd just come out with a new test. I passed easily on both sets but people were failing left and right so they lowered the pass mark to something like 65%.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There is virtually no upward mobility in our flight because almost everyone stays until retirement.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Air Force has plenty if incel 4chan babies so eventually some of them will get caught up in it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Knives Amilli posted:

LOL in the Guard it was typically strapped for cash weekend warrior airmen who deployed (the actual knowledgeable AGRs and Technicians hated deploying with a passion). I imagine its no better in the Reserves.

A buddy of mine back in fuel systems played Mortal Kombat X the entirety of his deployment at the Died. He was not popular with few of the AD personnel who witnessed this.
Here the technicians and AGRs shove their way to the front of the line to pad their retirements. Leaving their guys who only do weekends, and don't have steady jobs, in charge while they're gone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The culture in my unit is mostly that being good at your job is the most important thing and a lot of the stupid poo poo that active duty cares about are ignored. That breaks down sometimes which always sucks, but oh well. As a result we're able to actually retain people who are knowledgeable about their jobs, unlike the other side where good people run away screaming after their commitment is over.

The last active duty shop I spent time with everyone save two wanted out as soon as possible. The two who wanted to stay were the NCOIC tech who had 12+ years in, and a staff who recently got moved into his job after being kicked out of combat comm for a security violation and whom everyone hated.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 28, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Get PRK.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The chocolate is loving disgusting. It's probably the worst I've ever had.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

"Once you graduate from basic, you're an adult" - two a1cs in the subway line discussing getting tongue piercings
I hope they get gangrene and need to get their tongues amputated.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They're gross and I'm surprised they appeal to anyone who isn't a teenager.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Are there any restricted areas in the area around the Deid? Just curious.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

There's an airshow going on at my base this weekend. I'll be working it, as usual, so I hate it. But I've got to begrudgingly admit that these things remind me just how cool airplanes are. It's also a reminder that the Blue Angels are so much better than the Thunderbirds it's not even funny.
Are you going to be the guy from that parody commercial holding the parking sign?

and yes, the Blue Angels are better in every way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

pkells posted:

We've got an airshow on our guard base this weekend too, and god drat is the Raptor demo incredible. It almost makes up for putting up with all the bullshit.
The last time we had an airshow we ended up having incredibly thick fog so nothing could fly 1 out of 2 days. They had a military appreciation day thing when they were supposed to be doing their practice runs which also got cancelled due to fog. I was there long enough to buy a vastly overpriced hot dog.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Radioshack is dying for real this time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

After nine years in the Air Force, I'm finally working outside a SCIF. I can carry my cell phone. My room has a window. There are no SIPR or JWICS terminals in my building. The highest ranking dude here is a Master Sergeant. No officers.

I'm... happy?
When I do UCA interviews the guys who work in the vault are the most disgruntled by far. Years ago one of them resigned his GS-11 job after disappearing for a month, then a few years later he gets arrested with a dead owl in his trunk.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

A dead owl?

Like..

There has to be a bigger story here. Its the same thing as the headline Scooby Doom: Dog Blows up House With Can of Deodorant.

It warrants further explanation.
He completely lost his mind and got out. Nobody hears anything about him for a couple of years until he has a relapse and did a bunch of crazy poo poo in rapid succession. Our commander at the time owned a business and he was put front screaming poo poo at it. The police let him off with a warning for that one. Then he gets the cops called on him because he's parked on the side of the highway acting weird. The cop shows up and finds him playing with roadkill in the ditch and he mentions that there's a dead owl in his trunk. This gets him locked up in the mental health section of one of the local hospitals on 72 hour hold. While was in there he called the help desk and asked for our commander who was in a meeting at the time. He took the call and said he'd call him back after he was done. This was apparently the wrong answer and the guy starts screaming at him, so he hung up on him. They said something at a commander's call about how we should call security forces if we see or have any contact with him. I was on TDY at the time so I missed most of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I worked nights at Target for 7 months before getting in. The main thing that git to me was that I was on a completely different schedule from everyone else and making plans got difficult.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Please let it be true. 10 years of the failed uniform has been enough.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Ripstop ABUs were a big step up fron the twill ones. They're still as ugly and non-functional as ever though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ckwiesr posted:

Agreed, especially if your job consists of being around anything dirty.
I was over at the hanger one day and saw this guy walking around in what looked like a leather jacket. On closer inspection he was wearing the chore jacket but exposure to oil had turned it almost entirely brown.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not.

We wear the diapers because we are horrible sex fetishists.
I cut leg holes in your helmet bag. Then I made a doody.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, the simultaneous lowering of rank and PT requirements for the job seems like a red flag.

Though, really, anyone who would choose to become a TI probably has a bunch of red flags already.
At least they have to be E-5s for a couple years first. Back when I joined they were letting them start the program as E-4s. This at least affords them some opportunity to grow out of power hungry douchebag behavior, not that it's going to be taken by most of them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Who the gently caress wants to volunteer for MTI anyway.
Sociopaths mostly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"We are the best the Air Force has to offer."
"No I've never done anything that remotely contributed to anything related to the actual mission"
"I look pretty."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got 2.5 years left on this enlistment and will probably go looking for a commision for afterwards. I'm tired of doing comm poo poo and our retention is so good that there's no slots to move into. I'll be lucky to put on E-6 before I go looking for greener pastures.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How early should I start looking into a commission/AMS? I've got 2.5 years left on my enlistment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

If you're guard, you should talk to your unit.
I want to go elsewhere. I'd rather not be a comm officer.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm happy this is as much as she's attention whored this far. The FAS probably keeps that in check.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of our guys got a criminology degree, they were going to make him an ABM, but apparently he's a finance officer now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's...odd. ABM and Finance come through different boards. Finance and personnel were the fields they dumped people who failed the flight physical or UABMT, though. I assume they were all later force shaped, since that was only a couple of years before they were gutted.
He was partially color blind so maybe that's it. He was still saying he was going to be an ABM when they released him to active duty so who knows.

He was a good guy. Having spent time on the enlisted side he tried explaining to some of his ROTC classmates that some of their ideas about "leadership" were going to make everyone hate them. He didn't make much of dent though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JQP sometimes does good work but he's slowly turning into MilitaryCorruption.com guy. You'll wake up one day and his site will look like it's straight from 1996.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ceiling fan posted:

Did you tell him that InfoWars is the name for a hostile nation's CYBERCOM/propaganda force? That should work on the next LT. Since the military is carrying on with its proud tradition of placing the truly stupid, or the truly ignorant, or both, into its junior officer slots.
Well it kind of is actually, at least as far as propaganda goes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Give me a shitload of money and I'll go be a pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kept one of my first set of ABUs so someday I can pull them out of the attic and go"Hey kids, look at this ugly poo poo!", right before they ship me off to a home.

Some people I know managed to steal their parkas that had actual fur ruffs and not the synthetic poo poo.

• Locked thread