Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm on a the Lt's side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reservists are a loving joke. Utterly worthless in units with no "no-skill tasks" and the members must be re-certified when coming on duty (if they're not already busy failing PT tests). I have a very low opinion of the worth of the reserve program.

That being said, it's a crazy good deal that I hope to take advantage of one day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I heard tell of a mid-shift where the guys would challenge each other to perch on top of the stall walls and try to get the turd into the toilet bowl

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So much for getting my Master's at AFIT. They rejected my application and said I need to retake a couple college classes before reapplying, then once I registered at the local university they told me I need to take graduate level courses which the university doesn't offer to non-degree students.

What a humiliating experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They look fine and require 0 maintenance, why do people act so angry over them

Are they the ones who iron creases into their ABUs?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

*raises paw*

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We just go to the bar at noon on a weekday and drink with the guy departing, why the gently caress would you waste time ball torturing him or any of that stupid poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Being an officer is a great stepping stone to something bigger and better. Have an exit plan. Like, go through OTS, get commissioned as a comm guy or something, be a dumb LT, get swole at the gym, gently caress a few female Lt's (or female SrA's if you like to live dangerously), and then bail after like 4 or 5 years for free GI-bill funded grad/law/med school.

This appears to be the route I'm headed toward

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

[quote="“Larry Parrish”" post="“476644489”"]
Besides I thought only rated officers had career fields that mattered outside of their current job title
[/quote]

Not really. Scientists and engineers have an entirely separate career track and command structure within the program offices.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

David Bowie Knife posted:

My office contacted me while I'm leave to ask if I can return early to go TDY, so I ask to get back briefed today since they did mission planning and I'm still on leave. BOIII THESE FUCKS ARE HAVING US WORK 12S. MY POS SUPER FORGOT TO MENTION THAT BEFOTE ASKING FOR THE FAVOR.

Why the gently caress would you agree to do that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nullscan posted:

[TELL] Me how to be a CFC Key rep doing minimal effort while collecting most bullet

Gotta love coming back from leave and finding out you're voluntold to do some poo poo.

Pretty sure you just get "100% contact" by walking around for a few days, giving your spiel, and dropping off a pamphlet

It's a charity function so that's about all people can ask you to do

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rekinom posted:

hahahahaha

Let's take a minute and appreciate that AF management has hosed up pilot retention so badly that the goddamn POTUS has to authorize a pseudo-draft just to fix it.

It was just too hard to let go of the additional duties and other poo poo that pilots constantly bitch about lmfao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

It happens long before you hit O-4. I've been talking to ADOs who are new (<2yr) captains. That job is supposed to be prepping mid to senior majors to be DOs and poo poo.

They keep pushing that poo poo earlier and earlier and you end up with Majors and Lt Colonels who are worthless loving burnouts because by the time you hit that point there's really nowhere else to go if you aren't given a command (and nothing to worry about if you just want to hit retirement and punch out)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Softface posted:

CAF day is how they're rebranding Wingman Days, emphasizing their buzzwords of Comprehensive Airman Fitness. You get the same dumb briefings in the morning, and then you play sports in the afternoon.

The trick is to find an excuse to miss the 8 hour CAF day so you can get away with taking the 45 minute makeup session

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Any of you guys work in Air Force Intel? Either as officer or enlisted.

My best friend's brother is interested in going AF Intel officer and is asking me questions that I'm not qualified to answer. He is a senior in college.

I’m not intel but I work with intel officers so my main question to the boy will be whether he’s up for jerking his own dick raw for 6 hours a day before “pushing” to the bar where he demands people refer to him by his call sign like a pilot

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that still holds up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BadOptics posted:

As much poo poo as the line side give us medics, I can say for certain that I've never been in or overheard those kinds of discussions. I did know a few intel dudes from my time in a base honor guard and they always did strike me as...off.

Edit: Also, "When he's not deep dicking some borderline inbred dipshit Airman who's a civilian 5 and intel 12..." is an amazing line.

In my experience it’s the enlisted guys who are the nerdy ones. The officers are more of the tech bro/fundamentalist Christian bent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The TMO mover broke literally every piece of furniture I had in the last move

I was honestly pretty impressed

• Locked thread