Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We have an audit coming up and 3 of the 6 auditors might be some of my old supervisors. I wanna tell them how awesome it is being a contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We had one guy turn 18 in basic so that's sorta true I guess

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We just hired a guy who retired and is on terminal for another 2+ months. He seems really happy now that he's out.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I work on base as a contractor, been here for 3 months so I can't say too much. Godholio was here for a while though so he can tell you a bit more about it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My friend works at a beverage distribution center. He came to visit the other day and dropped off like 50-60 beers that he got for free. I'm glad I got out and haven't fallen back to drinking every night. There's so much less stress and I hope everyone gets their freedom back one day.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So I dropped by my old lab on Friday and talked to all the guys still there. Things were actually split reasonably even on getting out and staying in, despite my claims to how legit it is and how awesome the pay is on the outside. I don't think I changed any minds but I certainly gave some of them hope for the future

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Our deployment schedule was 12 pm to 12 am or 12 am to 12 pm. Management was 6 am to 6pm. I was 12 am to 12 pm and passed out the second I got back to my bed. It was some of the best sleep I've ever gotten

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The penalty would probably be never being able to serve in the air force. If you get a commission slot and turn it down, you're done.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think your recruiter would be disappointed and not want to work with you again but dropping out early on probably doesn't matter. Some other poor soul will fill in sooner or later

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm out.

In the dark hours of the night I think about going back to the Reserves/Guard, because permanent health insurance would be nice, and I'm starting to think that it is time to admit that trying to make a go of it in California hasn't worked out.

My entire family moved out of California, we're in two states and two more provinces now. Once you leave you'll never go back

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Luckily it's already in the book. Page 12 or something

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm putting that in the next dickbook

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Welp I should have known a sweet contracting gig was only going to come crashing down when it's directly tied to the air force. Our entire lab was demoted yesterday and today, ended up being about $13k a year we won't be seeing now. It was either everyone gets pay cuts or people would be getting fired. It was good while it lasted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Oddly enough we had just gotten pay raises as well. But we had two companies under one contract and now it's just one so moving everyone over seems to have hosed us all, plus they had to create non production related positions.

In the meantime I've been taking classes for cyber security but I'm worried the jump from a decent paying job to an entry level position is going to be real rough. But gently caress staying in the same job forever. The only money is either super remote locations or really high level poo poo at all of three companies out there that bother with calibration.

• Locked thread