Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I loved that Command Post post in the last thread. Airman Sanchez? Uhh... Is the DO there? You don't have DOs any more? What about the chief of command post? It's 4 am at your station and he's not at work? Etc etc etc. and then it ends up being something they could have found out in two seconds by looking at G2 or just you know, asking me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Especially frustrating because the console workers do 99% of the poo poo in an AMC command post at least, so even if they do speak to someone above me, it gets kicked back to me anyway except now I can't ask questions if I need more detail

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also the epic chief who came in as our new superintendent and ended our practice of letting non-smokers take 10 here and there, who was then upset and tried to end smoke breaks after everyone in the unit started taking packs of smokes to work

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a while my entire back office was composed of cross trainees, and of course the ops and the reports guy had both worked less console time than me, a brand new airman

It got really old asking for help on stuff and getting an answer back that sounding suspiciously like the text from an AFI or the training materials

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my old senior controllers used to work at Keesler. Apparently that base was so slow they only had one controller on duty, except for the sexual assault reports

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

A transparent CYA attempt by the Air Force before the inevitable next big-news rape?

Is that really a question

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamlet442 posted:

Where was the NCOIC to defend the Personnelist, calm down the Lt, and show him where and when he was notified via email/myPers? I used to print out everything so that they always felt really dumb trying to storm into the office and I have proof that I emailed them.

He was busy writing bullets in his cube while trying to determine which excuses he's used lately to leave early

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamlet442 posted:

I disagree and I'm just a lowly enlisted guy. LoR fucks his career and he's just starting and learning. It's likely he's just frustrated at the assignment process and is ignorant of it. He probably heard from several classmates that they had received their orders but he hadn't received his yet. He's likely convinced he turned everything in and is pissed because now he has to scramble to PCS and get all of his poo poo to whatever duty station he's going to. A talking to or "mentoring" by his leadership and a simple apology will serve to make him a better officer rather than giving him an LoR for losing his cool in an office. I have the same opinion if it were some Airman. I hold the belief that paperwork is used far too often and severely when you can just talk to them to figure out what the issue is and resolve it. Punishing him while he's already frustrated and confused with the PCS process is only going to make it worse.

And the Air Force's policy on avoiding swearing is loving stupid.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time I get reminded of all the cool officers I've worked for and with, Rek posts and reminds me how pilots really are

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every time the guy from P&S was a dick about scheduling I'd go upstairs and piss all over the toilet closest to his office

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

My chain of command is starting to get concerned that nobody in the squadron has reenlisted in the past year. Everybody either escapes with a PCS or gets out via ETS.

Retention is just fine, comrade. Pay no attention to shrinking ideal manning numbers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try hard officers and enlisted alike are the worst people imaginable

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I freely admit to wearing my gas mask inserts as a civilian but only because it's way better than paying out the rear end for prescription safety goggles

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hang all pilots

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the brass world just get rid of smoke breaks and wearing civilian clothes off duty this morale problem would go away

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its kind of sad that the service where aviation is kind of a side gig has the better show off team

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dogfighting is dead, our future is drone tanks launching air drones to fire drone missiles at BVR drones

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kuroyama posted:

It depends on your area. I was my shop's safety supervisor, but that's for Command Post, so there weren't things like confined spaces or heavy equipment to worry about. I assume there's more to it if you are a MX or CE safety guy.

My supervisor was the safety/shelter in place lackey and all she did was occasionally get me off the console to spend an hour pretending like we actually did something

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How are we going to know who to give quarterly awards to without PT scores???

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Working night shifts for almost a year at the Travis command post was pretty sweet, in that I turned into a crazy person who talked to myself from the sleep problems

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We had a new E8 come in and swap to that month by month poo poo and after about a quarter most of the shop threatened mutiny

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Friar Zucchini posted:

Where the gently caress yall work where night workers reenlist? That's some stockholm syndrome poo poo right there. Unless someone got an 8 or 15 year contract in which case :confused:

I worked with a cross trainee from fuels who said working the epic 6 on 1 off schedule where you do two days, two swings, and two mids was the best schedule he's ever had and wished he could go back to it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ckwiesr posted:

I did the walk test today. I wanted to die.

Thank you for your service

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was unironically a little miffed that our DOs got sweet wing patches but the filthy enlisted didn't

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously ABUs look like cat vomit tiger stripes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who the gently caress wants to volunteer for MTI anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

One of my old coworkers volunteered. She seemed to be a decent TSgt.

She immediately despised the job, and is finally at the end of her four year tour. All her years enlisted, and the one assignment she specifically asked for is the one that made her hate the Air Force.

Epic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kuroyama posted:

I knew one guy who had planned to be an MTI as part of his "Chief in 17 years" plan.

Boy, that sounds like a normal and adjusted person.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People focusing on getting promoted as fast as humanly possible instead of being good at their job deserve to get transferred to Diego Garcia or uhh, whatever the one in the Azores is called for 20 years

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Lajes Field? That'd be paradise.

I can only assume for the brown-nosing form of enlisted, being trapped away from anyone to brown nose is torture

If I could do my old job as a civilian at Lajes I'd leave tomorrow lmfao.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Robot posted:

There's apparently talk of splitting the air force's space mission off into its own seperate branch.

https://federalnewsradio.com/defense-news/2017/06/house-panel-votes-to-split-air-force-create-new-u-s-space-corps/

Merge the army and navy satcom people into it too so we can get a nice DoD wide screaming match

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

If anything, it'll be like the NOAA. Everyone will wear a uniform and be covered under the Geneva Conventions, but it won't be a military branch as we'd know it.

Done correctly, it would be an organization of technical experts, directed by people who came up the ranks working on satellites. Being the spawn of the Air Force (assuming it ever happens, and I assume no such thing), it won't be done correctly.

I eagerly await an organization with no combat experience and a giant inferiority complex about being "armed forces."

I want to meet a moto PHA officer now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Derek Dominoe posted:

Eglin's on fire, yo.

One of my in-laws is stationed there and assures me that Burger King is okay.

They didn't post the text of my OPREP when that one guy got stabbed in Sac after his hero tour for jumping a terrorist on a train in France

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cenen posted:

Missed out on that but I'll throw out going to that Donner cart outside the BX or going up cardiac hill and learning that every German middle school girl smokes.

Comedy option of ignoring everyone out of desperation and trying that super beyond belief garbage Chilis in the KMC.

I mean I'm a redneck but probably a third of my 8th grade class smoked whenever they could steal cigs. And probably two thirds smoked pot

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember how awesome it was to work with this one MOC controller who wasn't a bad guy, but he just sucked at MOC so I had to do way more work when he was on shift to keep track of his airframes and all the command post poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The airforce sounds so loving bizzare. If someone asked what I was doing outside working hours I'd tell them either drinking or to gently caress off. What kind of work schedule are you on where you have time to significantly volunteer?

Most people in the air force work regular office hours if not shorter, which just makes the semi-mandatory volunteer poo poo worse when most shift workers just don't have the schedule to do it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FWIW every non-rated, non-medical officer career field is essentially the same with maybe the exception of security forces and public affairs. You largely manage enlisted who do most or all of the work, and your job will consist mostly of signing paperwork like EPRs and sending off status reports to your group or squadron commander or whatever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also a LOT of base staff positions are seemingly only held by pilots, so have fun if you get a career field you hate. Supposedly it's harder for officers to switch AFSCs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xaarman posted:

The Air Force is growing again* so that helps him out as well.

*Planned FY17, not sure on FY18.

You mean the unit taskings are shrinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OTOH I know a guy who had a fairly easy time of it because our section chief called in some favors. But obviously you can't rely on that sort of thing

• Locked thread