Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacksLibido posted:

And yes, nearly every job with actual decision making powers will usually be staffed by a flyer if its a primarily flying base. Some bases that are primarily other jobs, like acquisitions bases will have far fewer flyers but there'll probably still be a few.

It probably doesn't help that not only was I only ever stationed in one place but I was part of base operations so the only non-flyers I ever saw at work was the cute LT running ATOC and once and a great while the MXO in charge of MOC would emerge but mostly he only existed on email CC's. But literally everyone in wing staff except I think maybe the CPTS/CC was a pilot flying a desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hotel Kpro posted:

My entire family moved out of California, we're in two states and two more provinces now. Once you leave you'll never go back

I'm probably going to have to move but my entire family is here except for my grandfather's birth family.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All admin/ops stuff related to flying is handled by pilots for somewhat obvious reasons. I was kind of a nerd and tried to learn as much as I could from my DOs and Wikipedia but whenever a transient crew asked something that wasn't about an AR track i was familiar with or a basic question about the ICAOs my brain would shut down pretty fast

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Light posted:

I sit in an office, where my day consists of a mix between technical work, :airquote:supervising:airquote: my NCOs and their airmen, attending meetings, and watching videos on youtube. I could make better money on the outside, but goddamn my job is so easy. Even with poo poo additional duties like COMSEC and CA/CRL (for the unfamiliar: paperwork and inventory intensive bookkeeping, basically). It wasn't always like this. As a young airman, I dug trenches, pulled cable, set up mobile radio networks, drove convoys, got shot at, picked up thousands of cigarette butts, and mopped up literal rivers of human poo poo when a sewage main broke in the dorms. Somehow, despite all that, I still earned a better paycheck than many of my friends who went to college instead of enlisting as teenagers.

If you commission as a non-rated officer, you'll have a far better paycheck and launch right into the managerial office work and never ever live in dorms, or get turbofucked with the enlisted scum because someone in another flight got a DWI, or perform any sort of manual labor. Some bases suck, and some of the people you'd work with will be losers, but you'll be treated like an adult from day one, and it's sure as poo poo better than moving back into mom's basement with an advanced degree.

There are worse ways to make a buck.

Maybe it's just a pilot thing but every officer I knew had an epic hazing story from reporting to their squadron. Well except the wing king. He had a heart warming story of having no duties at all as a butterbar outside of scheduled training flights so he just breathed down the schedulers neck every day to get more hours

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The reason your shop did that is so the flight chief could get a bullet and the reason none of the NCOs are objecting is either because they're on the no work shift themselves or because they're sharing the bullet. Or maybe they're about to get out. Or the worst case scenario for you, all three

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Yeah, it looks like a lot of fun. Who doesn't like organized recess?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe the AF decided to fix up or out by making everyone 100% get promoted

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In 10 years it'll be a 8 year career track to full bird

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

I seriously had to look at the URL halfway through to see if it was a duffelblog work of art.

I'm absolutely blown away by this. The standards for commissioning through OTS are now higher than promotion to field grade.

Look if we just promote academy grads straight to brigadier we save a lot of pay over the years for an equal amount of competent officers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What company even has need for aircrew thats not part of the flight crew or pax services? Besides defense contractors I guess

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Make sure to talk about how much money you donate to leftists to really max out your watchlist submission rate

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Besides I thought only rated officers had career fields that mattered outside of their current job title

• Locked thread