Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Overseas assignments are dropping. I just found out I'll be escaping my purgatory and taking a trip to South Korea next year.

I'll need to extend for PCS retainability. Problem is, I'm TDY for NCO Academy and I won't be back at my home station for another few weeks.

I know we had an MPF goon here for a while. Does anybody know if extension and/or reenlistment paperwork can be done up at a TDY location, or if it needs to originate with the home MPF? I have seven days to get retainability, and there's zero chance I'll be back at my base by then.

I'll call the MPF on Monday to check, but I figured someone here might have a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Cenen posted:

S. Arc Light

BROTHER.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

JQP got all his meaningful gripes out of the way in ~2013. Now it's just the morale police.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 7, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BadOptics posted:

Edit: Also, good luck on your PLDPs! :v:

:smithicide:

I don't know how much longer I can pretend to find value in the coursework.

At this point, my written assignments are just critiques of the factual inaccuracies of the course material. 90% of my last PLDP is pointing out what the OODA Loop was actually intended to be, rather than the weirdo circular management tool the Air Force tries to teach.

Trying to word criticism professionally enough to get passing grades is the only real challenge. Spite is the only thing that still motivates me.

Was NCOA ever good?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Looks like I'm getting a post-Korea follow on to Peterson.

For the first time in my career, I'm going to try to be proactive about where I live, rather than figuring it out after I get there.

Anybody ever live in Colorado Springs? Neighborhood recommendations? I assume I'll buy a house, but that's by no means a sure thing.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks for the advice. No wife and no kids, so I'd much prefer to live off base, as long as I can avoid the lovely parts of town and/or army land.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The last written assignment at my NCO Academy involves writing a plan for self-improvement for the next few years. The usual management buzzword stuff.

Throughout the paper, I've been very consistent in referring to the plan as my Five Year Plan, and calling the document itself my manifesto.

I really hope it raises an eyebrow or two.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BadOptics posted:

A specter is haunting NCOA, the specter of transformational leadership.

:vince:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

AkrisD posted:

Also in regards to reenlisting, will afpc give me an assignment before I reenlist and tell me to get availability or will they just say this person is coming up on their end of enlistment and they don't need one?

I have no experience with retraining, but I can speak to retainability.

I've had orders drop when I was less than a year from separating, multiple times. Generally speaking you have 15 days (I think, don't quote me on the timeline) to either reenlist or complete an AF Form 1411, Extension of Enlistment in the Air Force. You may also need to complete a leave settlement form.

The type of PCS assignment will determine the number of months you would need to extend for. CONUS assignments (with some exceptions) require at least 12 months on your contract after you PCS. Overseas tours require the full length of the tour (1, 2, 3, or 4 years).

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BadOptics posted:

A specter is haunting NCOA, the specter of transformational leadership.

Sooooo, I actually worked that (mostly) into a briefing. Thanks for the inspiration!

Don't worry, I properly cited the quote.

My flight was deeply impressed. Or at least, the two of them who recognized what I was getting at.

Edit: NCOA was actually much better & more useful than I expected, and I had a whole lot of fun. EPME... good?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

xaarman posted:

What did you all do with your uniforms as you were getting out?

I have very little intention of doing the Guard/Reserves, and I have a ton of flight suits, blues, service dress and mess dress just taking up closet space.

Debating donating to the Airman's Attic unless there's some reason to hold onto them.

My grandfather got rid of all his uniforms and gear (save a captured Hitler Youth knife) after he got out. He died before I was born, and I'd just about give my left arm to have any of his things from his time with the Air Corps.

What I'm getting at is, give most to the Airman's Attic and keep a set for any greedy grandkids you might someday have.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The trick is to find an excuse to miss the 8 hour CAF day so you can get away with taking the 45 minute makeup session

Back when the "spiritual fitness" portion of CAF was still specified as being a religious thing, I used to say it was a violation of my religious beliefs and just skip out of the whole day. Nobody ever tried to call me on it. Sadly, the AF smartened up and now they try and claim it's still spiritual, but not *that* kind of spiritual.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I’m not intel but I work with intel officers so my main question to the boy will be whether he’s up for jerking his own dick raw for 6 hours a day before “pushing” to the bar where he demands people refer to him by his call sign like a pilot

I'm in a comm unit that exists to support intel. Can confirm this is 100% accurate. Intel dorks manage to make comm look like normal people with normal hobbies.

Softface posted:

How does he feel about babysitting a bunch of nerds in a windowless, poorly lit room for 12 hours a day?

Does your friend's brother enjoy in depth discussions about Dungeons and Dragons, anime, or My Little Pony? Because they crop up in the SCIF with distressing regularity.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Are any of the nobles here familiar with the current officer commissioning process?

One of my buddies is looking to commission, but as a filthy enlisted man I don't have firsthand knowledge of what that entails. From what I've gathered, the process requires a fair bit of insider knowledge re: timing & paperwork, in order to make the various admin deadlines. He's already out of college, so the academy and ROTC paths are out.

Broadly, what's the required sequence of events from start to finish? And how long does it take? I know it was a year or more as of 2014, but that was before the Air Force cut too many dudes and started trying to build back up.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

nullscan posted:

Ya'll are both dickheads and if you don't stop loving doing cossack dances at your desks and smashing all my fiber every week I'm throttling your youtube down to 14.4 modem speeds.

tbf, if we didn't just run fiber along the floor, we probably wouldn't need to replace it as much.

And if we didn't need media converters for lovely VOIPs, that would take care of like 2/3 the tickets for any given network shop.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I've been off watching the TMO-contracted movers pack up my stuff for the last days, darkly wondering what will go "missing" or turn up damaged.

I guess I missed the big EPR news at work, because when it turned up online, I thought for sure it was Duffel Blog.

Air Force nixes evaluations for junior airmen

Nice to see we're taking a good idea from the Army. Pity it didn't happen a month ago; I just rewrote EPRs for a couple of my airmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Higher level network support is pretty much entirely in the hands of mismanaged contracts.

Bluesuiters are involved, but the official training for network infrastructure and systems administration is so basic and lousy that it's basically useless. Additionally, the usual brain drain applies. Any enlisted airman who actually develops a working understanding of the network and the skillset to troubleshoot serious issues will be able to make beaucoup bucks on the outside, without any of the bullshit associated with being junior enlisted. Thus, the unskilled remain.

Officers receive cyber warfare training, with minimal emphasis on network architecture or troubleshooting. After a year or two of possibly doing a hands-on job as a lieutenant, they promote up to pure management, and lose any currency.

• Locked thread