Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
wish i had known trying to go Intel Tech school in the Guard was as much of a shitshow as it is. The unit i originally switched too constantly has intel AFSCs open because their Non Priors will go a year or more with a break in training after BMT, waiting for a Tech School seat. I was hoping to gently caress around with a bullshit job and little expenses before leaving for tech school. Looks like ill have to get a big boy job :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
so in the 5 months i have switched ANG units I will probably be picking my 3rd AFSC in that time.

Originally went to WA to be 1N4, then interstate transfer to 1N0, now my new unit is telling me that 1B4 is the main driving AFSC of our unit......and theyre offering a slot to me.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Belgian Waffle posted:

Watched my first OTS graduation. Had a guy completely flub part of his oath and if anyone was recording it, they''ll be able to hear me cackling from the back of the auditorium. Had another guy completely lose it on stage and start openly weeping. Not sure what's up with that but I'd be concerned about giving that guy bars.
Not the worst thing I'd ever sat through but probably wouldn't watch another one.

In other news, I guess I'm going to Korea soonish. How likely is it that Best Korea nukes me while I'm there? What's the best way to enjoy my last year on this Earth while I'm over there?

One of my best friends was in that class. A TSGT from CE who will be Cyber Operations....Was stationed at Guam before OTS....

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Rythe posted:

Who wants to take a guess on how much fun it is to be Active Duty deployed with the Reserves as the controlling organization and all of their "trained" mechanics? I'll give you a hint they are 90% retarded and deserve to burn.

LOL in the Guard it was typically strapped for cash weekend warrior airmen who deployed (the actual knowledgeable AGRs and Technicians hated deploying with a passion). I imagine its no better in the Reserves.

A buddy of mine back in fuel systems played Mortal Kombat X the entirety of his deployment at the Deid. He was not popular with few of the AD personnel who witnessed this.

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 26, 2017

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i really think that reservist/guard medics bring a lot to the table tbh

we had a shitload of civilian EMT-B's, paramedics, and other medical fields who worked with trauma (especially gsw) every day. I'm in no way knocking active duty medics, but there's a lot that spend their enlistment sitting in a tmc doing sick call and inventory all day.

i'd say about 80% of the people in my unit were actively in school of some kind in their real life, which cut down on a lot of BS as well

cyber is the same. Guard/Reserves Cyber is neck and neck with active duty, if not better. Hell I read an article somewhere where a bunch of Reservists demolished an active duty unit in an network penetration/denial exercise.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...riors/13566549/

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
still in the ANG trying to make this 1B4 thing work on the mil and civilian side (goddamn long rear end wait for tech school). With cyber being the :siren: NEXT HOT THING :siren: i figure ill stay in and get as much as experience to pad my civilian resume. 11 more to go for 20. (still would like to commission as well).

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I want to go elsewhere. I'd rather not be a comm officer.

You can commission anywhere in the guard.

the problem is, if you're not from that unit or you're degree/enlisted experience isn't related to that field, you stand little to no chance (unless its for Air Liaison Officer which is always in need).

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Holy poo poo things move fast once your retraining package for 1b4 goes through. Ive been lamenting basically being in job limbo for a year until tech school. Earliest school dates were looking to be january/feb 2018 and I had finally gotten okay with that. :unsmith:

Get a loving phone call ten minutes to try and put me in the August 28 course. Guy even said the September course had an opening. :negative:

Fuckkkk no thats too soon! Id be setting myself up for (literal) failure in the course.

Gotta really start cramming now as I bet any money a course opening will occur in October-December.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Well looks like I got selected for an Officer Slot. :toot:

Hail Satan.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

JacksLibido posted:

Congrats, what job?

17S. Figure since its the Guard and all there will be some more hoops to jump through but got the official email today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Deathy McDeath posted:

Why ARE so many fighter pilots getting out? It seems like such a cool job that pays pretty well. Is it just so much better in the airlines?

From just reading around here (and other message boards), its the fact that the AF insists on forcibly grooming rated officers for staff positions instead of just letting them fly. General consensus seems to be once you pin on Major, youre stuck behind a desk and dealing with all the bullshit of managing at the Sq. level.

Not to mention the overall improved quality of life in the Airlines (no pt tests, no group/wing fuckery, better pay, organized labor, etc.)

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread