Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tinker? Since the CP fell under the ABW not the ACW I could see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was going to say that should be in the OP, but goddamn. First loving page of the year.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit:
Might as well include the original:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The B-52 story is amazing. :allears:

The JSTARS story is tied with the RJ fire last year as the most horrifying USAF flight mishaps in recent memory.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syrian Lannister posted:

There was another one that caught fire during take off after a contractor serviced it; wiring or electrical equipment issue IIRC

That might be the Rivet Joint I mentioned. It was fresh out of depot, which is operated by L3. Here's a great article with some :catstare: pictures.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallon's opening late today. Our forecasted 2" of snow overnight is 8 and counting. Easily the most snow I've seen in my two winters here.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I missed this story back in Nov, but apparently a KC-10 lost it's loving boom.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, you can't. The first line of the article is wrong, according to the rest of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

Monday Blues inspection, Tues - Thurs ABU, Friday Service dress and 7:30 - 16:30 strict duty hours. Commanders Call was a profanity laced tirade on embarrassment and professionalism.

I would expect this from a Maintenance Squadron, but flyers? It was hilariously cringe worthy.... I wish I recorded it.

At best, I give it two weeks before everything is back to normal.

That was the reaction to a suicide? :stare:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xaarman posted:

I can't speak for the job side of things, but my F-16 friends have great things to say about Ogden. More info in this thread: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/21515-hill-afb/#comment-416497

There are plenty of decent non-chain restaurants and more decent microbrews and brewpubs than you'd expect. Everyone within 20 miles of Hill is either military or Mormon, and each group drinks as much as you'd expect. Most GIP posters would fit in well with SLC's relative liberalism, vs the rest of the state's religious-based conservatism.

If I were rich and in Utah, there's no doubt I'd live up in the Morgan area, or somewhere else on that side of the Wasatch Mountains. That thread's pretty on-point.

xaarman posted:

Plot twist!

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-dzwonczyk

My guess was that the theatrics that happened today were supposed to go on Tuesday, but it was put off a few days because of the suicide.

Wait, the defendant was one of yours? And for his shenanigans they're putting the squadron through the ringer? :wtc:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That should be a one-way ticket to ADAPT :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It kind of is a big deal. That guy could be looking at federal charges.

Edit: The whole situation is stupid, but until the rules on privately owned firearms get fixed, that's exactly the reaction I'd expect.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What would you like to have happened?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

The gently caress do you think? The 2LT come back and apologize in person to the girl he cussed out.

You know, like how grown adults behave. But we can't have pilots or their commanders seen admitting when they acted like cocks and apologizing to noners.

Fair enough, I agree with that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Really, he just jumped the gun. Soon enough his paperwork will be legit hosed on his behalf.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The MSG/CC or whatever needs to bring this incident up at wing standup.

I'm not joking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

An LoR? Are you loving serious?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hamlet442 posted:

LoR fucks his career and he's just starting and learning. I

An LOR actually probably gets him discharged in a couple of years, maybe much sooner. He's non-promotable. With an LOR on file, his gaining commander probably fills out a PRF to justify a non-promote to 1Lt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Just give him an LOC. But fucker didn't do his duty and fill out his paperwork proper, doesn't excuse his attitude, he should've been begging for help, not chewing airmen out for something he didn't comply with.

He's done with training, so it would have to be a real LOC. And that also might make him non-promotable unless he saves a bunch of children from a burning orphanage and blows his gaining SQ and OG commanders daily. It's possible it would only push O-2 back a year, which he can recover from if we end up going to war again and budgets return to the point where people aren't being thrown out the door by the shovelful.

This is a guy the USAF just spent between 2 and 4 million dollars training. An LOC for an officer is not at all equivalent to an LOC for enlisted. It literally can lead to discharge; probably overkill for a guy who was mean to a girl.

Edit: He definitely got off easy; I'd like to think he really did get ripped by his squadron, and it might have actually happened. But they really should've made him apologize in person.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That is what crew chiefs are known for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Depends on your employer. If you're paying for it all yourself, it'll be higher. If you have a family, it'll be much higher.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably. But then there's military doctors and the VA, which kind of drag down the value of the healthcare you're getting.

I'll say this: the one time I had to go off-base for treatment, the system worked. The base clinic couldn't do poo poo so I got a ride to the ER. Had an MRI or CAT scan or something (I didn't really care) got some pain shots, had a minor surgery and spent the night. A couple of follow up appts in the following weeks. I never saw a bill, got any kind of flak or anything. It's probably the only time I ever saw the bureaucracy work as advertised.

Edit: I pay ~170 or so for medical and dental per month to cover my son and I. I can't recall how much the employer pays, but it's a lot more than my share.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 20, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:laughs in contractor:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

People want out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hamlet442 posted:

Has anyone else been seeing this 9,300 reenlistment ineligible people due to course 14/15 on JQP and AF Amn/NCO/SNCO pages? Are they being denied reenlistment entirely? Or is it 9,300 people ineligible right now, but can still pass and get their eligibility back?

From following along over the past year, I think they're effectively passed over for promotion this year. People with line numbers will lose them and not get them back, even if they finish the course now. I think they'll be able to recompete next cycle. As far as reenlistment, I guess if you're up soon you're going bye bye.

But given the manpower situation, we'll see what actually happens.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

9300 came from the AF Times article. Up to you if that's more reliable or not. Getting line numbers back: Could be...I remember an article around Aug/Sep saying it was for good, but that could've changed.

JQP definitely started a slide when he brought in staff writers...which may have been when he got bought out, I'm not sure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It can still take a while.

My entire squadron just didn't get our deployment travel vouchers paid once. It took several weeks at wg/cc level coordination (possibly higher) to get it sorted. Ellsworth is pants-on-head retarded, and so was the idea to centralize finance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Welp, I'm ETS'd. So long Air Force.

Noice. Beard it up, bro.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Little Garry Parrish posted:

Retention is just fine, comrade. Pay no attention to shrinking ideal manning numbers

The solution to the manning issue is just to change the "requirement." It's just a few ppt slides. No need to check with the operational side, either, AFPC can take care of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That would be incredibly lovely for them to out you like that. Also makes them look bad for not noticing on their own.

It was pretty interesting watching the flail after our wing failed a MAJCOM ORI. :lol: Fast-burning WG/CC's career hit a brick wall on that one. Technically we should've become non-deployable immediately and deployed units recalled...yeah, that didn't happen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh yeah, I think everyone knew they weren't going to recall the loving AWACS from the three theaters we were operating in at the time. But until that was quietly swept aside, group/squadron leadership was pinging big time.

Edit: Four if you count Noble Eagle/NORTHCOM.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Friar Zucchini posted:

Some chucklefuck apparently decided that I, of all the thousands of Chair Force desk warriors sitting around doing nothing, am top of The List to loving deploy. (I :psyduck:ed irl when i found out)

...anyway so the equipment list for it has ~ballistic~ BPE googly-goggles on it. I gotta wear glasses cause gently caress contacts but I cannot fuckin stand gas mask inserts They hurt and I can't see much better with them than just going without glasses. Guessing I'm gonna have to take the gas mask inserts and keep googly-goggles they give me but are there any kinds I can get that let me just wear my normal glasses? Or are there any approved types of clip-on whatevers that I can attach to my glasses?

You shouldn't have to wear the gas mask inserts all the time. Not sure what other glasses you're talking about.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dominoes posted:

If you don't wear Pit Vipes, you aint poo poo.

I'm making a software to unfuck scheduling CAF-wide. Have enough top-cover and codingskills to make it happen. Will the mil industrial complexers assassinate me?

Yep.

Good luck though, it's a ridiculously and disjointed process as it stands.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

JacksLibido posted:

Cross posted from the Aviation Ask/Tell:

I'm a 12R somewhere in the 55th WG :xd:. My personal opinion is that the 12R community is undermanned because the AF keeps trying to kill off 12X, only to realize that yes, bombers/AFSOC/Recce exist and we do in fact need officers who aren't pilots. Seniority wise we're not hurting for O4+, we're hard up on O2 and down, and the 12Rs we do have are all mixed up incorrectly with regards to Nav/EWO. After the last major RIF I can count on 1 hand the number of 12Rs I've seen get out, and those are the people who are profoundly unhappy with military life. Almost all of us are contemplating getting out, but we're looking at our compatriots on the outside and realizing that we're going to take a paycut and we probably wont ever get up to the ~$150k a LtCol makes. On top of that we look at the jobs being offered for 12Rs and realize that deployments and TDYs included, the military is a cakewalk full of 2 hour lunches and 3pm "workout sessions". A senior Capt with $650 flight pay and a dependent makes ~$120k (I've compared this with an Engineer 4 friend in my area who makes $115k and it checks, my monthly take home is a little higher before retirement withdrawls) and an LtCol makes ~$150k, something that most 12Rs wont ever get close to making without a mil retirement supplementing us while also working straight 9 hour days with each hour accounted for.

Pilots on the other-hand can get out, take an initial paycut then be back to SrCapt equivalent inside 3 years (assuming they're flying for a legacy airline). After that 3 years they're racing their AD compatriots in pay while all the while building seniority (and doing much less work). The only incentive to stay in therefore, is the quality of military flying, and the mil lifestyle. There is a SIGNIFICANT financial incentive to GTFO and go to an airline.

I hear a lot of complaining from pilots about how hard the .mil lifestyle is and how the AF isn't pampering them enough (my words :D) and how money isn't a factor but to me that just doesn't check. I NEVER hear that from any other flying officer, NEVER. At least when I joined I was told flat out "you're an officer first flyer second", and I was expected to abide by that (on a side note I want to choke every LT pilot who tells me they don't do office work because they're just there to fly). I personally think that if the airlines paid about half of what they do right now then you wouldn't have near the pilot shortage we have now.

My opinion may be biased, I joined later in life after some pretty lovely jobs and consider the military one of the easiest jobs I've ever had, deployments and TDYs included. There are absolutely things that I'd love to have change, assignment preference for one, but I really don't see a work/life balance issue from where I stand. I'm actually looking at being a 10year crossover to pilot just so I can get in on some of that sweet sweet airline pay when I retire. I'd never have considered it before but you guys keep getting out and the AF keeps getting more desperate. I'm one of those whackos who actually likes the military and doesn't mind the office work so I'd be more than happy to keep going lol

Be glad, you've been fortunate. If you're a captain with over a year TIG and you're still getting long lunches and PT breaks, you're in a completely different Air Force than the one I was in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So those civilian jobs are actually staffed at Offutt? No wonder you have free time. We had one civilian in a squadron of 350+ people, and that was the commander's secretary. The CSS was full of whoever was pregnant or long term DNIF at the time, which meant nobody knew how to do their jobs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Except what are those CGOs supposed to be doing for the first 2-4 years? Becoming world-class experts in their tactical field. What did they sign up to do? Fly. We've spent almost 20 years cutting training and cutting support personnel then pushing the flyers/maintainers/whatever into those support roles as additional duties that they're not trained for, and patting ourselves on the back for the double savings and it's bullshit. Readiness is trash, people are burning out, and most of the best/brightest are loving leaving as soon as they can which further cuts readiness. Half the people who stay in are doing it because they're close enough to retirement they can coast to retirement on passing PT scores, not getting a DUI, and camping out in the ADO shop. The other half are careerist hacks, patches, or, in the smallest minority, the good ones.

Edit: Unrelated news:

DC ANG F-16 went down in Maryland; pilot ejected safely and was plastered all over twitter before he even hit the ground.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll just say that what you're describing is absolutely not universal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

"Once you graduate from basic, you're an adult" - two a1cs in the subway line discussing getting tongue piercings

:lol:

Boy, are they in for a surprise.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Arc Light posted:

Edit: to clarify for everyone else, I pointed out that I could be replaced by a computer if we were less retarded about streamlining workload. He read my quote as a caution to commanders about making sure everyone in their squadrons understands their "vital" role in completing the mission.

Your cunning plan backfired, Warrior Airman.

That's not the same thing. The regular Kinder Surprise eggs are still banned due to a law from the 1930s that bans candy from containing non-edible objects. Those things have the candy and toy separated, which is why they're fine.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Maybe we can MOAB it.

• Locked thread