Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Grew up a couple of miles away, moved back when I got out in 2012, moved away in 2015, visit about once a month.

If you like the outdoors, you'll love it. If you're into the club scene, :rip: SLC is surprisingly liberal, and has some legit good bars. Utah also has some really good microbrews. I live near Reno and wish I had the UT beer scene.

The closer you get to the mountains, the higher the price of housing. I'd try to avoid Ogden, Clearfield, and certain parts of Layton (some areas are really nice though) when you're house/apt hunting. Generally south of Layton is pretty nice, but there are at most two highways...and they merge a few miles away. One accident can royally gently caress the commute, and Mormons can't drive for poo poo. If you have specific questions, ask away here or in PM or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's Space-A, but you're balancing the risk of almost-free flying vs not having a flight/seat available when you need it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I second that advice while stroking my beard thoughtfully.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

It helps if the Air Force pilots think it's a training exercise.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/16/us/pilot-faulted-for-downing-jet.html

That pilot naval aviator was a hair away from making admiral before that story resurfaced and the Senate reacted to the public outcry.

Derek Dominoe posted:

I have no idea if that is true, but I do recall a Navy pilot (either Tomcat or Hornet) saying how they could hold their own or win vs Eagles within certain dogfighting parameters, but then the F-15s would "wall up" and gently caress them over six ways to Sunday.

Starting from a par position, no Tomcat or Hornet will win without an error by an Eagle driver. From an advantageous position, maybe. But the Eagle can better accelerate, outrun, out turn, and gain/maintain energy through a sustained turn by a significant margin over any jet fighter the Navy has ever operated. I'm curious how an F-14D w/AMRAAM would've fared BVR against a contemporary F-15C, but alas, Dick Cheney is an rear end in a top hat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assumed we were talking straight DACT. F-14s didn't carry AMRAAM and Phoenix was not particularly good against fighter-sized targets, and legacy Hornets are hilariously outclassed in every single metric. Unless they had serious jamming support to shut down the APG-63 (and I don't know if that existed in the inventory at the time) they'd never get a shot off. Modern Super Hornets vs modern F-15Cs...they have a good radar now, but the F-15 will still have the basic airframe-derived advantages I listed. And superior missile kinematics. Again, unless the F-15 pilot fucks up, it doesn't matter if AWACS support is included. Jamming, maybe.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Until you fight someone who spent $75 at Radio Shack and aliexpress and can jam the everloving gently caress out of your radar and datalink.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

One of the Good Ones just picked up O-5 1BTZ. :3: Not bad for a guy who did Top Gun instead of Nellis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The walk test is awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I breezed the walk test easy because it didn't gently caress with my knees after 200m. My cardio was fine, the problem was always my garbage legs. Now I'm fat and bearded and I haven't run further than it took to jaywalk without dying in a couple of years.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Chief in 17 is insane.

Goddamn.

Met one who did it in 15. The guy looked like he was 15. Shocking he didn't seem to be an rear end in a top hat, but I have no idea if he gave a poo poo about his people or what his game was.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Well, systematically crippling an already disgruntled career field (acft mx) over two decades will do that. It's not just at the good places, poo poo is broken to a stunning degree everywhere.

I'm not sure E-9 in 15 is possible without STEP early promotions around E-5 to E-7 and E-4 BTZ, obviously.

I can't imagine someone with 15 years TIS makes a good Chief. Jesus.

It was weird as gently caress. He was at Maxwell giving briefs to ASBC when that existed, and the SNCOA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not happening any time soon. Like decades, if ever. poo poo ain't cheap.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're the reason squadron snack bars are dying.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That image really sums it up.

Congrats xaar! Welcome to the beard side.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Who is still in in some capacity still? It has to be pretty small nowadays.

I'm in the standby reserve, which means I have zero obligation, don't get called to muster, but still get ID cards/full base privileges for me & the kid.

Which I use to park in the officer parking lot at work.

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am just going to throw this out here. I graduated with a Masters degree back in May, and my degree primarly focuses on public sector work (Focus in Administration, Budgeting, Auditing, Planning) and I haven't really had much luck in my career search. A family member suggested I try my hand in the Airforce OTS with an administration career since "Every base needs administration". I have been doing plenty of research on the idea, but I wanted some feedback from the thread to see if my idea is a dumb one or not.

You don't get to pick your career field unless you're going to be a pilot, navigator, or air battle manager. You get to list your top 3 or 5 or whatever, but the AF will assign you according to its needs. You might very well end up overseeing contractors and determining if they're meeting their obligations. Or you might end up an aircraft maintenance officer. Or doing whatever the gently caress services officers do.

I think you'll be able to find work on the outside where you can count on some stability, live where you want, and not get punished because some 19 year old who works in the office down the hall that you've met twice got a DUI with a hooker passed out in the back seat.

As mentioned, applying to OTS is 9-12 months depending on when you apply. If you don't get selected, you get to start over. If you do, you could go to OTS anywhere from a month later to 10 months later. And you won't find out your career field until halfway through OTS itself.

I think joining the USAF and being in personnel/admin wouldn't be the worst job for basing options. Like.. yeah Minot needs clerks, but so does Lajes Field and every single country we have an airbase in needs admin clerks. You can go anywhere, and if your smart and work the system you can live a loving slack rear end life and get paid just as much as dudes in harder more demanding jobs.

I encourage folks to look into joining the USAF since I still think it's the best of all possible military options.

Remember when they moved 95% of the finance community to FE Warren?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 16, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Xenoborg posted:

At least where I was it was the same guy. Either way make it very clear.

There was a brief time (like 1 year) where they got rid of the OTS specialty and every recruiter handled everything. Apparently it didn't work well, because they dropped that poo poo surprisingly fast and are now using recruiters dedicated to officer accessions again.

Or you might've had one of the unicorns who actually does both. My entire state only had one OA recruiter, though, for reference. They're not at every office.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

How early should I start looking into a commission/AMS? I've got 2.5 years left on my enlistment.

If you're guard, you should talk to your unit.

Fat_Cow posted:

He was trying to recommended that as an "alternative path" at the end of my phone call. Oh well

Are you sure you actually talked to the officer recruiter? They don't usually pull that poo poo because they don't need to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Don't forget showing up in blues in front of the commander when one of your 19 year olds gets loving blitzed and throws empty beer bottles at the cops!

Edit: The system probably is backlogged, but absolutely don't take the word of a recruiter who doesn't know jack poo poo about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Expect it to be on the long side, honestly. You're looking at a career field that routinely gets pruned whenever Congress sneezes and cuts the max number of officers by 15,000. Being "undermanned" is not a common issue. That said, they still need to bring in X new guys for every career field to keep manning constant, so if there are few qualified applicants for your board or for the past year+, that helps your odds and timeline.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

*Your career field may vary

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

McNally posted:

Wait, the Air Force has .mil people doing this?

Sometimes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In a flying wing, that's normal and intentional.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Realistically, there's an excellent chance the recruiter can't do anything for you until the new fiscal year, which starts Oct 1. I contacted my recruiter in August and was told to call back in October.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

With a rated position, you are specifically selected for OTS to become one of those jobs. If you apply to be a pilot, you're selected for OTS to be a pilot or not at all. If you go non-rated, you're applying for OTS and hoping the Air Force later assigns you a job that isn't hell. You find out your career field about halfway through the course.

Rated and non-rated also meet different boards. So a different group of people will be making the decision, and at different times of the year.

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that Air Force is currently so utterly hosed that it can't keep fighter pilots from running for the door as soon as their commitment is up, despite offering a re-signing bonus of almost half a million dollars if you take the long commitment. One of the coolest loving jobs in the world, and they're banging on the doors to get out.

Be drat sure this is what you want before you start signing paperwork.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 22, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grumpy former ABM here. Everything in that post is accurate. Mission planning pain for fighters is unit-dependent, though. If you're in a squadron that has it's poo poo squared away and had a decent commander and patch, it's more common sense than you'd think.

Edit: I loving loved flying. CENTCOM missions were boring as gently caress, but the food was good. My problems were that I almost never got to fly unless I was TDY (required to fly once every month, so that's what I got), and between deployments, spin-up for deployment, upgrade training, sitting alert, and the aforementioned TDYs, I didn't get to go on leave and visit my kid for three years. I loved flying in the Air Force. I loving hated the Air Force.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 23, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

While there are AFOQT minimums, the scores are used as one of the factors to rank the applicants. It's in your best interests to kick its rear end whether you go rated or not...you're competing against hundreds of people for each slot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I feel like we're really just presenting him the path forward while highlighting why no sane person should walk it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^My first 3-4 years on active duty was the best time of my life. The next 3-4 were among the worst. YMMV.

Fat_Cow posted:

I mean it's better then being unemployed like i am right now. The way forward presented in this thread just seems a bit daunting espically with those rated careers.

It is, but aside from building your application package, it's entirely out of your hands and on a hilariously inconvenient timeline, and nobody you have access to can actually answer your questions on what's going on and the only people who know wouldn't talk to you even if you could find them.

It's actually surprisingly similar to how admin works in the active duty AF.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you've got a decent education that you have a chance at using in the AF, I don't see anything particularly bad about doing a 4-year run as an officer. You can get out with that same degree, GI Bill for a grad degree, hopefully some kind of semi-relevant work experience, MURICA cred, and probably a security clearance. And yeah, the pay is pretty good by the end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, it's not like he's going to the Academy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's well hidden, but junior officers are generally not treated as adults from day one. Maybe treated as an 8 year old vs a 5 year old. Aside from barracks nonsense, they get most of the same bs just behind closed doors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

IIRC my interview was a captain, tanker pilot. We talked about guns mostly, since I was wearing my guard uniform.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We usually just dumped a few gallons of water on people as they departed their fini-flight. Sometimes cheap champagne.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We did wrap one guy in about half a roll of duct tape during his first callsign night with the squadron, but that was because he'd been talking poo poo prior to reporting from the training pipeline. He reformed. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Our hazing usually consisted of telling people their upcoming deployment date the day they reported in to the squadron. My personal touch was to inform them that most of what they had been told in the training pipeline was a lie and that they would be taken for granted but still expected to perform.

It's not hazing if it's accurate.

Edit: Hell, we had to rush CMR paperwork on people coming out of the pipeline so they could deploy and fill a crew.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's 6:30 and I have zero coffee. :downs:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rekinom posted:

Being an officer is a great stepping stone to something bigger and better. Have an exit plan. Like, go through OTS, get commissioned as a comm guy or something, be a dumb LT, get swole at the gym, gently caress a few female Lt's (or female SrA's if you like to live dangerously), and then bail after like 4 or 5 years for free GI-bill funded grad/law/med school. If you stay in past that, you will be stagnating in life. Unless you are a pilot, and only if your goal is to go airlines at some point. Honorable mention: become a ROTC instructor and get your masters at State U while creeping on low self esteem female cadets. Whatever you do, don't be one of those sad majors who retires after 20 years. And don't be the unhappily married/divorced Lt Col who stays for 20 and ends up going into civil service since they have no relevant skills in life other than being a government slave.

Being a career Air Force career is for political types. If you're an upper middle class kid who is ambitious and want to get face time with the boss and do dirt for them when it comes time to gently caress over other people, then stay for a career because you will do well. If you are a religious fundie, you should stay. If you are perpetually insecure and get erect at thought of having power over others, you should stay. If you are perpetually insecure and thrive on getting medals, rank, and recognition, and need military service to define yourself because your own personality is too weak and unimpressive, then you will do extremely well and should stay for 30 years. And if you're a hopeless virgin who wants to get pussywhipped by the first domineering wannabe girl whose life's ambition is to be one of the Real Officer Housewives of [insert base here] AFB, then you should stay in, too. Bonus points if you end up as swingers.

This should be in the OP.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You don't take the GRE, you take a test called the AFOQT...still a standardized test though. There are study books out there.

It doesn't technically matter what your degree is in. You aren't really competing for a job in that field, you're competing to become "an officer." The career field is selected (by the AF) later. However, if you've got a music degree from Jim Bob's College of Music and VCR Repair and the competition has an engineering degree from MIT, you might be at a disadvantage. There are generic requirements, but ultimately there are a lot of people applying for relatively few positions.

Edit: Everything Prop Wash said is accurate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's...odd. ABM and Finance come through different boards. Finance and personnel were the fields they dumped people who failed the flight physical or UABMT, though. I assume they were all later force shaped, since that was only a couple of years before they were gutted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, it looks like a lot of fun. Who doesn't like organized recess?

• Locked thread