Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

whatspeakyou posted:

Is this thing still a briefing where "we're not trying to convince you to stay in, but here's a giant packet of bullshit that makes civilian life look like a giant mistake" occurs? I don't really recall the one I had to sit through but I vaguely remember it including this.

To be fair, civilian life is a giant mistake. Almost as big a mistake as military life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
:lol: I know field grade officers with tongue piercings. The difference is that they're just smart enough to use a clear spacer while in uniform.

Why do you think sleeve tattoos are OK now? Enough officers with tattoos made it to General and got rid of the bullshit that was personally loving with them.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Arc Light posted:

Deep in his heart, he knows it's true.

Edit: to clarify for everyone else, I pointed out that I could be replaced by a computer if we were less retarded about streamlining workload. He read my quote as a caution to commanders about making sure everyone in their squadrons understands their "vital" role in completing the mission.

My father taught me a valuable lesson about the care the armed forces takes of those in vital roles. Son, the Air Force is the best service to join. No matter where they send you, you will always have air conditioning. Because replacing burnt out electronics is expensive.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Man if I could do any job at lajes then I would.

I was on a C-141 that broke down there for 6 awesome days. This was a long time ago, mind you.

Broke down or :airquote:broke down:airquote:? Judging by the number of planes that get grounded as soon as they arrive, the bases flying missions to USAFE have really poo poo maintenance.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

JacksLibido posted:

Schandefrued

AF picking up ascensions for flight rated positions without even a VFR licence boggles my mind out the back of my skull.

You will regret joining the Air Force. Make sure you get that regret quantified as at least 30% disabled. Gut check yourself through your in-processing physical to make yourself out to be the picture of health. Then bitch about every little thing to anyone in the med group until their ears bleed. Don't bother trying to retire unless you are lucky and good enough to coast through a career. Retirement no longer has a sweet payoff.

If you have a degree in medicine, biology, or chemistry you could try for a medical AFSC. That's slightly different acceptance and training process. Maybe faster, maybe slower depending on the specifics. It also requires a GRE score, the higher the better.

Also, see if someone has pirated the BOT tests. Multiple choice. Pass the BOT test in OTS and you get your rank. You don't need to know how to march in time in a straight line, you don't need to stay up until 0330 [3:30 in the morning] studying, or any other nonsense, just pass 3 multiple choice political science tests with 30ish questions.

Oh, and the physical training test. Google that, and train up for it. If you can't pass it, you'll get kicked out after a couple of years or so. With a severance package and honorable discharge.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
If they haven't changed things, you need to take the GRE. If you score high enough, nobody cares what your degree is in.

Prop Wash posted:

Or better yet, don't join the military!

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Softface posted:

Today I convinced an LT to listen to InfoWars, then mocked him for getting conspiracy theories wrong. CYBERCOM rules.

Did you tell him that InfoWars is the name for a hostile nation's CYBERCOM/propaganda force? That should work on the next LT. Since the military is carrying on with its proud tradition of placing the truly stupid, or the truly ignorant, or both, into its junior officer slots.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

nullscan posted:

[TELL] Me how to be a CFC Key rep doing minimal effort while collecting most bullet

Gotta love coming back from leave and finding out you're voluntold to do some poo poo.

If you are feeling really ambitious, go out to the base gym one morning and trade juice and donuts for donations over a folding table. Trigger warning: May involve paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

SalTheBard posted:

I have all of mine in a vacuseal bag in my basement

Same. Who knows, there might be a zombie apocalypse or a reactivation for retirees and veterans or some other ridiculous thing.

• Locked thread