Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Wii U tablet is literally irreplaceable lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sicario is pretty dope, even if I did think "wait this is basically just that one episode of Breaking Bad" the entire time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Really though, way more of the bad guys died than good guys in that movie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So we paid a really bad tough guy to kill a ton of bad guys in a scene reminiscent of a video game. Seems like the American way. So what if he mentally destroyed a nice lady along the way?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cowboy elvis posted:

I take the phrase "rogue like" as a large AVOID sign

It usually means "we didn't want to spend the time/money/effort on making levels and a storyline"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah, Switch generated hella hype and despite all my complaints it's gonna do just fine

it's gonna be the wii u all over again

not sure what people are seeing in this console that makes them believe otherwise

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ehhh, I don't think so. I'm guessing the wii-u wasn't sold out initially.

quote:

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, speaking with CNET, claims that the system sold out during its debut week.

“Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock. Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they’re selling out immediately"

https://gamerant.com/wii-u-sales/

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

nope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhoiGxl6bnE

it actually runs best in portable mode on switch. its pretty hilarious that a game that looks this basic struggles to maintain 30 fps on new proprietary hardware, that it was developed for, in 2017

I'm trying to get through it on Wii U but it's a struggle. I can't loving believe all these reviewers hand waved the performance issues as "minor FPS drops". It drops to 15 FPS and feels like playing through molasses the second you get to any kind of complex scene, such as literally 30 seconds into the game stepping out into the open for the first time.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 14, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd be really down with an actual 3DS followup, since that's secretly Nintendo's best console. The Switch is very obviously a home console first, what with the poor battery life, awkward size and the fact that you have to control it with 2 strap on things that make it even wider.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't care too much about graphics--i play console games only, heh--but it isn't too bad. I meant, not unplayable anyways. But the world is pretty massive and Nintendo was never known for good performance since N64.

Framerate isn't graphics, it's gameplay. How smoothly the camera moves, the lag between you pressing a button and the character doing the action - that's all framerate. When you enter a new area and the camera suddenly moves at half the speed you're used to it's pretty noticeable, at least to me.

I just don't get it. Even some PS4/XBone exclusives can't manage to maintain 30 FPS. I thought developing for a single set of hardware was supposed to solve that issue?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why preorder ME: A? I don't think it even comes with any significant bonuses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

It's just missing SOMETHING.

Everybody who left the team halfway through development, I guess

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

*gets shiny new racing game, immediately gets WRX version of own Impreza, ignores the Veyron and F-1 cars*

Driving super cars is boring

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

Man that reminds me I need to finish shadowrun hongkong

I loving love cyber punk but few people do it well. It's kind of a fine line between over the top, gritty, dystopian setting and going too far and being a caricature of itself.

I enjoyed playing through Shadowrun Returns even though a lot of people bagged on it. I've tried to get into Dragonfall a couple times but it hasn't stuck with me yet.

Nier: Automata is pretty rad so far. The PC port is kind of fucky and requires a bit of messing around to get it to work properly, but it runs decently well once you get it set up right. It follows the classic budget Japanese action game formula of massive, repetitive environments with zero decoration but the combat is fun and varied and the story seems pretty wild.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

not caring here posted:

I'm just not overly concerned about some animation and poo poo because gamers are whiny and I'll be on PC so patches will be dropping left and right like every other PC game.

I also don't buy many games but I put some serious hours bit by bit in the ones I do.

So if you're someone who zim zams a game in a few days, yeah, I probably wouldn't buy the game day one. But for me I liked the Mass effect trilogy enough to preorder obviously, but not as concerned by glitches as I don't sit in front of the screen all day.

I'm not saying everyone must preorder!!!1! But I'll sit and play my alien bang reporter punch simulator for a few hours and come back in a day or 2, but if I'm supposed to not buy it as some sort of gamer boycott thing... Yeah, sorry, I'm just not that serious about playing video games.

They're not going motion cap new animations and re record all the lines in a pc patch you dumbass

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't know what people are expecting out of patches for Mass Effect. I haven't seen many complaints about the game being buggy. A lot of the stuff that people say is wrong with it is the result of design decisions (like P2P multiplayer) and stuff involving actual human writers and animators to develop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I think the biggest part of it that fucks me up is that turning is tied to the camera or something? It always fucks me up for some reason and I end up driving backwards or something dumb. IDK something about it fucks me up more than any other video game vehicle. I probably just need to get used to it again.

It's relative to the direction the vehicle is facing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Switch thread is a trainwreck. It's half people constantly talking like they're on Weird Twitter and half angry aspies lashing out at everyone with a negative opinion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Carteret posted:

:laffo: This seems like Blizzard is basically giving the gently caress up and just going FINE and giving fans what they wanted ever since SC2 came out: a Better looking SC with NOTHING DIFFERENT

Good, I wanted sprites not some retard hackjob of putting the maps into the Starcraft 2 engine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even in still screenshots that character model just looks wrong.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can spend the whole god drat trilogy buttering the Geth up and making significant progress only to be told "lol yeah they'll just turn on you eventually for no reason so it doesn't matter"

gently caress those endings. At no point in the game did they actually make the case for what they're saying AI will inevitably do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Oh sweet remastered Planescape torment coming out April 11

Good. Even with fan patches the original was a tremendous pain in the rear end to play through on Windows 7 since it had a lot of really bad crash bugs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao that's some bullshit

i hate phased bosses

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ded posted:

Tides of Numenara is good. You should play it.

Character creators give me anxiety and I spent like an hour messing with it last night. Is there an ideal character build for the game?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Titanfall 2 free weekend, double XP, and new DLC this weekend

I love the game, and have played a ton of hours on it. Respawn really screwed the pooch though in just about every way possible. The free DLC model is a joke (two rehashed maps from TF1 and a gamemode without Titans). I had hope, but they really hosed it up.

That said, it is a great game to play with a group. I wouldn't play alone

Seems like they intended to do more with the free DLC but didn't get the sales they needed to fund it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so hey i bought stardew valley on ps4 because they still dont have controller support on pc even though i own it and im too drat old and cranky now to ever give a poo poo about joy2key again

i last played it before they added the content patch, and now it correctly aligns to my autism in ways previously unheard of

They don't? I'm pretty sure I played it with a controller like right when it came out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Man, BF4 reminded why I absolutely loathe ~realistic~ military shooters. The community is beyond toxic, jesus christ.

Also, I'm really terrible at playing them.

Don't play Battlefield games without hiding the chat

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Missing the "roguelike" tag

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

roguelikes are good though?

there's like 6 roguelikes that are good and 6 million indie games leaning on random number generators to fill in the content for them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Got my Persona 5 controller skin on, I'm good to fukken go

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nier Automata is extremely good. The endings didn't blow me away like they did for half the internet but it was still a pretty cool experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Jackass is my spirit animal.

Also which endings you are talking about? If its A and B only you gotta long ways to go. I just started the second half of the game and love how angry A2 is.

All the way through E.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i didnt get one, am i missing out here

absolutely

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

at the date posted:

Dishonored 2 trip report: insanely good

Even though I have to turn down the settings probably more than I should have to, it's still gorgeous at medium-ish.

Its basic gameplay systems improve on the original's in nearly every way.

The maps are inventive almost to the point of absurdity: switching back and forth between past and present at will with multiple radically different versions of the present depending on how you screw with the past, a "clockwork mansion" that is basically a big changeable maze in three dimensions, an island asylum that one-ups Arkham in every way, a giant Frank Gehry palace, a slum in the middle of gang war, a spooky museum. The best level designers are obviously back and pretty much just showing off at this point.

I did a clean-hands, low chaos run with Corvo and got pretty satisfying outcomes for every little "assassination puzzle," even if a couple felt tacked on. Next I'm going to play Emily as a sort of avenging angel blasting heads off everybody. The story was just OK, a mashup of Dishonored 1's revenge plot with the supernatural shenanigans of the Brigmore Witches DLC. I'd recommend playing those first if you haven't, actually. They still hold up and you just won't understand a lot of the sequel if you don't.

I wonder if they've patched the game in the last month or so. I haven't touched it in a while and only made it a couple hours in because it ran like hot trash on my PC no matter what I set the graphics too. The framerate jumped all over the place and the weird micro-stutters and slightly off frame pacing made me nauseated.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PS4 Remote Play on PC is pretty neat. It looks kind of crummy but it lets me play Persona 5 on my laptop while the lady is watching TV. I like how plugging the gamepad into the laptop doesn't remove the sync from the PS4, so if I want to play on TV I can just unplug it and go direct.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not gonna tell you that Persona 4 and 5 ain't anime but they're not nearly as egregious about the pedophilia, shrieking girls and gross poo poo that anime fans are into.

I'm 20 hours into Persona 5 and just got to the second dungeon. So far I don't think the characters are as charming as in 4 but the game is definitely a lot more polished.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:mensch:

e: whoops, dunno how i missed this gem

mmhmm, tell me more about how it isnt creepy as gently caress anime bullshit

dick monsters are awesome

Just got Horizon: Zero Dawn. I feel mislead by all the hype about sliding + slow mo, it only loving works out of combat. Once you start going toe-to-toe with guys the slow-mo doesn't kick in at all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

uhm it does with the bow or the one menu every time? Its just really short and has a long rear end recharge until you get some skills unlocked

If it has a recharge time I can't see any indicator for it. It's really long outside of combat but when guys aggro on me I can only ever get the regular slide + aim.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it should be a bar on the right side of your crosshair

sliding shouldn't have anything to do with it

just press R3 whenever IDK

It's entirely plausible that you're talking some mechanic I never used the entire game, just like the jump slomo poo poo

Yeah that's just the regular slow-mo when aiming, not the thing where you slide and then aim and it triggers slow-mo.

I ran around some Watchers for a while trying to figure it out. It seems like in combat it's not as easy to trigger when you're not just running straight forward? I dunno, it just seems way easier to do outside of combat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GIP can't appreciate a quality dick wagon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i think the dick wagon poo poo is funny but IDK I'm lacking context on how seriously the game takes it, that is the big divide for me

It's basically the equivalent of a pokemon, the game doesn't even mention it