Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

are there mods that make the quests not boring or something because otherwise I don't get it

Having the main character speak was a mistake. Plus the replicant nonsense was the worst parts of Battlestar and didn’t really fit in the fallout universe. Especially the teleportation tech, c’mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Finally got around to Last of Us. It is a delight, combat is so much fun.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

my main team was ryu, wolverine, megaman

my rear end in a top hat team was servebot, amingo, storm

Sabertooth, Ken, Captain America.

I remember one guy was trying to make it not fun with a team of Cables and just spamming his ranged attack, so my team of three Juggernauts sorted him out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Spider-man on PS4 was one of my favorites so got Miles Morales on sale. At first seemed like a DLC they were trying to pass off as a full game but after a while it started to click and became more likable, especially some of the new game modes and feels like they paid more attention to indoor fight mechanics. Still never gets old wrecking goons on a rooftop then afterwards looking around and seeing some of them stuck to skyscraper windows across the street.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I just finished Miles Morales last weekend and I really really enjoyed my time with it. Which surprised me because a lot of people were pissed that it was basically an expansion pack but I enjoyed it a ton and it didn't over stay it's welcome.

For sure especially after I started using the venom attacks and exploring the side missions. The original is a contender for best ever superhero game but was frustrating how the DLC was so lackluster, going from the main game with spectacular battles against the sinister six and Mr Negative being an interesting villain to battling the generic mafia and running errands for Black Cat.

It was a little silly at the start of Miles Morales how it gets handwaved how Roxxon is an energy company with good PR but patrols the streets with armored cars and rocket launchers without that making sense other than giving you someone to fight, but it got a bit better as the Underground has a more coherent backstory. Also really liked going around trying to locate unique sounds for Miles' uncle, interesting use of the city space that wasn't the same old missions.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, oddly enough, the collectables in Miles Morales and Spider-Man weren't a total chore and I really enjoyed going back to get all of them. The audio samples was surprisingly fun even though my initial knee jerk reaction to that and any collectable type quest is "ugh, how long is this going to take?".

Really hoping we get a solid Spider-Man 2 game at some point cause I heartedly agree, the original was probably the best super hero game I've ever played.

Yeah the Arkham games had that problem. Didn't mind finding riddler trophies in Asylum as the map wasn't too big and exploration was fun. City became a bit of a chore but there was that glitch (didn't seem intentional) where anything collected with Catwoman counted towards Batman's total so he didn't have to 100% the map to get the achievement. I finished the main story in Knight and saw the map had suffered a smallpox outbreak of riddler trophies and just watched the achievement video on YouTube.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Really hoping we get a solid Spider-Man 2 game at some point cause I heartedly agree, the original was probably the best super hero game I've ever played.

We definitely are with the same design company and it looks great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQ3xNqkVC4. I might have to try to get a PS5 for that.

They're also making a Wolverine game set in the same universe which should be awesome, hope they go for the M rating like X-Men Origins: Wolverine which had fun brutal combat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

So after years of false starts and just not "getting it", I finally managed to make Bloodborne click for myself last night. I get it now.

My friend wouldn't shutup about Elden Ring and I decided that I was only gonna buy it if I could make Bloodborne click for me, and it finally did. :feelsgood:

drat, I didn't even realize that was announced. Then again I was in the middle of the Scottish highlands when that announcement came out so that would explain it.

Oh yeah I need to give Bloodborne a try. I've never tried a Souls game but keep hearing good things. And goons were right about RE2 on PS4 being a blockbuster.

Giving up on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Not a disaster but so dang boring. I play for two hours and barely get through one side mission. Why do I have this giant arsenal without no one to fight?

That's neat you were in Scotland, I went on a Rick Steves tour there a few years ago and had a great time. Especially seeing a sheep dog herding demonstration those were impressive and I got to hold a puppy afterwards. Was also good to get reminders that American museums are at their best maybe AA baseball compared to the UK's all star line up. The museum at the Battle of Culloden was fascinating, I went in knowing next to nothing about what happened and they had an innovative set up where you walked down hallways showing the leadup to the battle and one side explained what the rebels were doing while the other explained the actions of the English, so you could get a better picture of motivations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Pretend I wrote “Nintendo games never go on sale” in random caps

I’ve had good luck with SA Mart used games and gift card deals. BotW is great but my top 3 is Odyssey, Tetris 99, and Hades. Some quality stuff on their NES and SNES libraries too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Started playing Hades again. If there’s a better written game that incentivizes talking to every character, I haven’t found it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Ah well sounds like something I might grab on sale sometime. I got a random hankering for so 40k so I guess it's time to play some Dawn of War again.

Man Dawn of War was so good especially when it hit seven factions with a map. Tons of variety and flavor and the multiplayer was excellent, I wasn’t great at it but could contribute with an ork horde. I didn’t like in the sequel how it was overwhelmingly space mariners fighting tyranids and managing grenade inventory and special attacks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Arrath posted:

Seriously the move to small scale squad combat sapped any enthusiasm I had for the latter Dawns of War.

I want WH40k: Supreme Commander goddamnit. Guardsmen beyond count charging forward under the cover of battery after battery of Basilisk, etc.

For sure, I know the sequel had some redeeming features but I was never playing those games for the story and it was tedious to chip away at bosses with 20k hp. The original had such great personality, I didn’t know anything about the setting so it was fun to piece it together from unit quotes and the planet conquering campaign.

I liked how all the sentient units had unique responses, I probably played the necrons the least as while they were fine mechanically but I think only their leaders had dialogue? Khorne berserkers owned, I liked how they were furious if given any commands that weren’t attack orders

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was the kill animations for me. Force Commander vs Bloodthirster, Grey Knights vs Avatars of Khaine, etc. I ended up buying into Grey Knights (4th ed) because I thought they were the coolest idea back then.

The first time I saw a Bloodthirster transform, I thought I had missed a really cool kill animation. I saw the cultist rise up and my librarian was close by, so I thought he was doing something…then the blood fountain erupted and a towering enraged demon walked out of it and started committing murders left and right :laffo:

e: the voice of the Avatar of Khaine was really well done, too. Extra supply and all your soldiers are suddenly unbreakable because they don’t want to look like cowards when standing before a literal god of war and death? Yes please 🤤

Oh yeah those animations owned. I liked how you could repaint your units and that would show up in the campaign with zero accounting for taste. Blood angels yelling about how they must preserve their gene-seed from orbital bombardment as they show off their bright spring colors with a fun easter theme.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gave up on Fallen Order, combat could be fun and neat to explore but painfully bad time tax mechanics. There are save points across the map, you'd think they'd allow fast travel to avoid tedious backtracking but heck no gotta make the trudge. Even Bloodborne allowed quick warps. The game could be summarized by a sequences where you run alongside AT-ATs and need to climb onboard and find a way in. The cool cinematic impact is gone by the seventh time our hero falls off the side as the patch of moss he was trying to hold onto wasn't the right patch of moss, and he needed to go to the other side.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My pick is whatever the shotgun was in bad company 2 that let me be kinda ok at multiplayer.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Getting Sniper Elite 4 for $5 on the steam sale has been a good value. However the amount of wind drift is absolutely infuriating. I had hoped 'authentic' difficultly would be better, but the FOV settings make everybody seem tiny in relation to the PC and the bullets slide left or right like they're on ice skates.

That’s a fun series that definitely has an “alright that’s enough moment.” I got one or another on a sale and had fun with the x-Ray cam but bailed when it was expecting me to shoot tanks and sync my shots with the sound of thunder.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

Anybody play Instruments of Destruction? It seems like the closest thing I've seen so far to a legitimate Blast Corps sequel/follow-up.

One of my favorite dumb laughs in Blast Corps was how if you fail a mission you can watch a replay from the perspective of the nuclear truck for which you were supposed to be clearing a path. Fun to drive a police car in the path of the truck, park, act surprised it’s not stopping, then have the hero get out and try to make a run for it from the imminent nuclear blast.

Same ballpark as having Solid Snake dive into a hut through a glass window, then run to a different window that still has glass to dive out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Played through undertale to see what all the fuss was about. It’s good although was leaning on a guide near the end. I liked the skeleton dudes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Steezo posted:

Good to know. Otherwise we'd have a BONE to pick with you.

Lol oh no

Playing through Circle of the Moon on Switch. Bless whoever added the option for save states so it feels like I'm playing on a friendly emulator.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hell yea JK 2 with the dismemberment cheat on is still the best lightsaber combat in any game. Slowing time to wallrun past a dude with your saber just held out at neck level and look back to see him topple over in slow mo never got old imo.

Helpusobi 1
Saberrealisticcombat 1

:black101:

Lol heck yeah, could also lead to hilarious cutscene background events like Luke losing body parts as he duels a dark Jedi. Similar dismemberment features bumped that Wolverine game from forgettable to pretty good. Dunno why they can’t figure out that option for a new Star Wars game. I mean I know the reason why but an open world insomniac developed Jedi game would own.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Police Quest: SWAT is still boring as gently caress.

Police Quest: run of the mill Sierra adventure

Police Quest II: more of the same but with diving, with bright neon hair for the Japanese port

Police Quest III: pretty good and I have a soft spot as it was one of the first adventure games I played through with a cousin so anything seemed possible. Nowhere near gems like Sam & Max or Indiana Jones, and some of the traffic stops have iffy racial stereotypes (and your female partner turns out to be working for the drug dealing murder cult) but still above average. Hilarious death animations.

Police Quest IV: utter trash, brought to you by disgraced LAPD chief Daryl Gates. Painfully generic hero who would have been considered underdeveloped if his only role was standing in the background of a Law & Order season 20 ep. Plot was written by someone from America’s Most Wanted so reviewers noted Black character dialogue was lifted from Amos 'n' Andy and the male serial killer dons a wig & dress to show how evil he is. Oddly the only game I know of where you can get a game over for sexual harassment if you don’t stop clicking on female officers.

Police Quest SWAT: possibly worse than IV as at least that was a game. A mess of FMV and nearly uncontrollable characters and baffling missions (I think 3 in total?) try to click past a briefing you’ve already seen and you get yelled at.

SWAT 2: oddly kinda good, offers a chance to either be the LAPD or a cult for the campaign mode. Cops have much better equipment, training, and vehicles but must follow procedure and often the highest score is only possible if no shots are fired and nobody is hurt, which for this series is progressive. Cult has mostly untrained manpower but far more freedom and it’s fun to stall police negotiators while moving hostages out the back of the hospital. Ugly to look at and had serious bugs but overall ambitious and ok.

SWAT 3: I barely played this one but heard it was good and similar to rainbow 6.

SWAT 4: not only best in series but highly regarded in the history of PC gaming. Lead your 4 person squad on well crafted missions with good AI, challenge, and tension. Multiplayer was excellent as you could sneak up on the opposing team and arrest them for extra points. Top tier.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i played the poo poo outta PQ 1-4

i liked the OG version of 1 the most tbh

Oh yeah couldn’t you type “remove clothes” and if you’re anywhere other than the locker room it’s game over?

Anyone play Blue Force? It’s pretty much Police Quest 2.5, I remember you could die in like four mouse clicks upon starting the game if you tried to clean your loaded gun.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ready or Not is the spiritual successor to SWAT4- I think Vahakalya posted about it some months back- and the gameplay keeps getting better with each update. That said, it seems like the developers (who are in NZ and not the US) keep stepping on their dicks by doing things like releasing a map about active shooters attacking a nightclub on the anniversary of the 2016 Pulse nightclub massacre.

I hadn’t heard of that, does sound good (gameplay wise not the badly thought out map.)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Things that could get you game over in PQ1:
Not walking around your car before getting in
Not locking up your gun at the jail
Not remembering what to call your nightstick

Lol yeah. Also “when skipping the poker game you need to win to advance the plot, do you want to auto-win or auto-lose” and picking “lose.”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Someone got me started on Stellaris.

That game is a time travel machine. Where did all my time go? No idea. But man, check out this space fleet!

…or that pile of debris idk

Apparently the Star Trek mod for that is the best Star Trek game ever

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I would like to know more

I believe it is this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688086068

I haven't played it but heard good things and the screenshots look rad

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Once every few months I get an urge to dive into one of those super crunchy space empire sims like Stellaris or Endless Space 2. Then I start watching how to play videos, and I usually get about five minutes in before I go "you know what, I think I'm good actually"

True, although it is fun to watch a video of someone who got every performance enhancing mod to work running it at max settings

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Into the Breach is so loving good, I happened to have a few coins to unlock one of the new mech packs (there are five!!!!) and two hours immediately disappeared. I don't know what the gently caress happened.

Also, I had an earworm of a song stuck in my head this week and I would've bet money it was from Battletech. Nope, brain subconsciously knew it was time for the Breach soundtrack.

Oh nice! Just picked it up for switch. Tried playing invisible inc and nothing wrong with it but it just wasn’t clicking for me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

piL posted:

Awesome find! I'm very excited to try this, I posited an idea for an RTS a long time ago when thinking about unrealistic ACW and Napoleonic wargames where you could see everything and didn't have things like people misinterpreting your orders or message runners interrupted, or just general comms issues. This seems better.

Oh yeah when implemented correctly that adds a lot. Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far was excellent about morale and unit behavior. Squads under machine gun fire would be slow to displace and would ignore orders to charge the guns. The wounded crew of a destroyed tank only wants to run off the map and won't listen to you. Isolated squads being overrun are likely to surrender instead of fighting to the death to hold a barn.

Such a good game, incredible tension at the end of a half hour battle after a long campaign when your last intact team runs across a bridge wired to blow but the explosives fail to go off and they secure the objective, then you get a video ending where Allied armor is pouring into Northern Germany in 1944 and congratulating Field Marshal Montgomery on his fine plan.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Turns out the Guardians of the Galaxy PS4 game is awesome, I was surprised how it made having a five person team fun and with interesting environments to explore and enemies to blast. Not as memey as the movies and no Chris Pratt, so that’s wonderful. Not quite up to Arkham or Spider-Man but not too far off either.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Turns out the Guardians of the Galaxy PS4 game is awesome, I was surprised how it made having a five person team fun and with interesting environments to explore and enemies to blast. Not as memey as the movies and no Chris Pratt, so that’s wonderful. Not quite up to Arkham or Spider-Man but not too far off either.

I retract my endorsement of this game, got dull after a promising start. Same fights over and over and too much talking. Not a disaster but nowhere near Spider-Man.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

THPS 1+2 is best enjoyed on anything other than switch tbh. If its all you've got for a console or no pc then its totally fine, but it's infinitely more playable on ps4/xbox/pc

fantastic remake tho for reals

Oh yeah just got that on my PS pass and it’s a lot of fun. Glad my mediocre skills are enough to get level unlocks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

*tries Mafia 3, wonders if gators will go for tossing an unconscious guard in the bayou water*

*ding! Trophy!*

This game is alright

lol it has one of my favorite dumb things to do in open world crime games: have my no name low level crime guy drive a rustheap at 100mph into a line of limos outside the local crime boss’s mansion then run inside and have no one acknowledge this. Always good for a cheap laugh.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 25, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Mafia 3 is fabulous.

The sheer joy I had breaking up a Klan Rally with a well coordinated ambush is unrivaled in video games.

Oh nice! I’m not that far yet but looking forward to that. You could do that in RDR2 and I appreciated how doing so unprovoked wasn’t considered bad on the morality scale, and was a valuable way to test your dynamite aiming abilities.

Mafia I was excellent and i remember had well directed cutscenes that helped to sell the story. It also had good sequence breaking accommodations where it allowed you to hit the target before he reached the getaway plane. And excellent attention to detail with the old cars where it did feel like you were driving an antique 1920s truck.

Good police system too where if you’re speeding and stop it’s just a time tax of being given a ticket but they don’t open fire.

Mafia II not so much although combat was pretty good. I did have a good laugh when I got bored during a mission and went on a destruction spree, then during the cutscene the authorities stepped over the wreckage of what used to be a neighborhood to arrest me for gasoline rationing coupon fraud.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m trying to push my way into RDR2 after like four aborted attempts and I made it further this time, to the point where I turned in my first bounty

I think I’m just going to give up. The game feels like dogshit to play and the systems all seem like horrendous chores.

Having played through to the ending, it is not worth it. The story isn’t satisfying and for the colossal budget/game world missions are endless combos of “ride somewhere, shoot endless hordes, ride back.” There was a refreshing mission where you get to pilot a hot air balloon and I was hoping the missions were taking a positive turn but nope we have more shooting for you to do.

It felt like Rockstar forgot how make their big sandbox enjoyable, like how for Ballad of Gay Tony they had enough sense to close out on a thrilling/goofy adventure of hitting golf balls at helicopters and BASE jumping.

To have fun in RDR2 just ignore the story/morality system as much as you can and free roam the map acting like a loon, with the most ridiculous beard and hat you can find. And use online guides as much as possible there are some huge gold stashes that let you go on shopping sprees and some of the hunting quests are terribly laid out. Stuff like “to craft a raccoon hat, simply gather these three items close to where you got the quest, plus this snake that only appears in the top right corner of the map for one hour a week.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Another issue with RDR2 is going the prequel route as it meant like half the cast had plot immunity which isn’t what you want when your gang is being menaced.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s disappointing because I recall RDR 1 being fairly tight-feeling and not so excessively languid, though the shooty parts were about as simplistic (all of their games are like this but at least in GTA you get fast cars).

True, RDR1 wasn’t a masterpiece of mission design but the shooting mechanics did have a brilliant moment when you go into bullet time against the army and slowly realize you can’t possibly hit them all, and no one is coming to help.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Have access to tons of older PS4 games I’d never tried with a PS now subscription so gave Detroit: Become Human a try. So far fun although my fondness for QuickTime events is not shared by all. The branching narrative is neat as my decisions that sent someone plummeting from a skyscraper could probably have been optimized.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

fyi these are all actual mods

I chuckled but have no idea what this is referencing

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GD_American posted:

The intro to Stardew Valley is your grandfather passing his farm to you on his deathbed.

Someone made a mod solely for the purpose of making the bed he was sleeping in poorer and rattier looking.

People appreciated the absurdity and upped their game

Ah gotcha, nice. I liked that game was fun to play while marathoning King of the Hill. Definitely gonna pick up the haunted chocolate factory sequel.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gave Watch Dogs 2 a try. First game I’ve played that lets me drive an Oakland city bus off Fisherman’s Pier.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Picked up Prey & it’s a lot of fun, I like sci-fi adventures and there is a lot to explore and combat is creepy. I think I like it more than Dishonored (from the same developer) as I don’t have patience for getting good at stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh nice! I gotta finish the main game first!