Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Every time I see Fallout 4 on a steam-sale, I want to pull the trigger, but then remember it's gonna be at least 6 to 17 months until I have a machine that can even properly run that game again, and then I get all salty :(

I'm guessing it'll be more than 50% off by that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I've never known what the gently caress is going on in Dark Souls, but I love videos about shenanigans like those.

In other games-related news, I've been enjoying the types of short retro games that I've been finding on Steam, like Turmoil, Broforce, or Polybridge. Uncomplicated fun you can gently caress around with for under an hour and then get back to work.

Anyone have any other recommendations in that area?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I casually skim this thread now and then, and then get sad because my laptop can't handle most of the poo poo that's popular, but now that I'm seeing this thread title, good to see that folks are playing Factorio :downs:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I think im all factorio'd out.
I mean im lunching a rocket every few minutes (for a grand total of 86 rockets so far), doing most of the endless science research, I have an abundance of raw resources.

I guess I could beacon out most of my production, but we'll see.....

I've never launched a rocket, I always end up min-maxing and micromanaging the gently caress out of my production lines/factories/outposts/whatever, before I deem myself WORTHY OF ASCENDING (to whatever next goal), and then I kinda end up losing interest slowly once restructuring and modernizing/rerouting my poo poo starts feeling like a chore. It might be a German thing, no idea.

On the other hand, I've also never taken all my experiences into account when starting anew, so I never really laid out capacities/factory-footprint for the late game from the get go. Until my most current run, so maybe I'll go balls out this time, idk

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is disappointing, because' it's not German enough. Way too many ways to gently caress around with the game mechanics, and traffic offenses don't stay on my record...they're never gonna take my license this way. :colbert:

Decided to breeze across the country side some, found a really long and steep switchback, so I naturally took a shortcut straight down, made it with only 48% damage to the truck. Got fined repeatedly for speeding in the Netherlands, didn't realize it was because a cop was riding in my blindspot, so I opted to gently push him off the road and just eat the one-time vehicle accident fine of 260, instead of repeated 200-buck-speeding fines.

Waltzed through Belgium at 151km/h, but crashed into a toll-gate full-speed. Drove off the Dover dock for the first time, ramped up to my casual 140km/h with a 20t pressure tank in the back, forgot the island monkeys drive on the left, hit a tour bus head-on, totaled my poo poo.

I can't be allowed to get away with this, WHAT OF THE RULES, WHERE ARE THE AUTHORITIES ON THIS>?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Friends don't tell friends to check out Eve-related games.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

That would have to be Fahrenheit, because most any CPU above around 90°C is going to trigger a shutdown.

150-170°F is around 65-75°C, which really isn't that hot, either. It's on the warm side, but not worrisome. I'd be worried if it stayed above 75°C under load, just because that's pushing the envelope a bit much.

Anything under 80 degrees Celsius is perfectly fine for today's standards of GPU and CPU. The rule-of-thumb used to be 70 degrees back in my dumb modding days where I spent my sweet military euroubles on poo poo like water cooling/towers/graphic cards/fans/LEDs/fan controllers/etc. but that was more a concern to people who ran overclocked systems.

75 is perfectly fine for any normal user I'd say.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

orange juche posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1520/DEFCON/

DEFCON is on sale on Steam for 85% off through July 5. We had a GiP 4 way murder zone earlier and it was pretty loving rad. Online multiplayer is dead as gently caress but it doesn't matter because it allows you to host/join games multiple ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCpVpIBqaJg

An example of how crazy this game can get in a 6 way melee.

Sold.

Gotta do something that's actually engaging and a break from the captivating deutsch-grind that is Euro truck sim 2

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

There is a shitton of "old" classics and cool titles on sale again, but they've been on sale several times over the last couple of years, so they barely get featured anymore.

Anyone that still hasn't played Skyrim, or the Tropico titles, both franchises are a whole lot off till July 5th

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm gonna spend one more day today with rest/elevation/icing for my foot before tomorrow's festive daytime drinking and bbq, and since Eurotruck simulator was too easy to game and beat, but hasn't quite satisfied my logistics itch, I think I'm gonna search for that abandonware version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe again.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Also :lol: @ no one going for the low hanging train joke

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Day 23 of not hiking, and instead resting/icing my foot since graduation. Haven't even left the loving apartment since the 4th.

Agenda for today, play through the storyline mode of Papers Please

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Any GiP World of Tanks/Warships players?

Yeah, PresidentGingrich ingame. Play Japanese heavies, lob Imperial HE at fools, break their poo poo, harvest tears.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Goddamnit, I forgot to buy Fallout 4 on sale, back to 30 bucks now

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Who here is a geography nerd or likes map games

https://geoguessr.com/world/play

there is also famous places if you want easy mode

you get 5 maps and a max score of 25,000

Oh man, the abundance of clues, it's giving me a headache.

Though, the signs say mph, and nothing is upside down, so it must be one of those flyover states in the mid west where there's absolutely loving nothing of relevance.

/edit:
HA! 100 miles off, it was Kansas.

/edit2:

I feel like I'm only getting irrelevant shithole states in the US

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 18, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

oh my god i discovered Euro Truck Simulator 2

gently caress die Polizei

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/skulls/

I haven't heard of roughly 80% of the games in that sale. Jesus Christ, there are a shitton of Games Workshop titles on steam

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Can't even access my info, because I think I set my profile to private a couple of years back, and changed settings don't seem to take effect immediately.

Saved from painful reality yet again :smug:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

lol

I'm not getting on anyone's level anytime soon

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I habe no clue how to play defcon, but the second I started it earlier, I immediately remembered that I's played it before, I just can't loving tell when.

But I'm down to get nuked with everyone else

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, well I signed up for ICQ when IDs were still seven digits, WHAT'S UP NOW

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

6 digit ICQ

GET OUT

SHENANIGANS!!!

I HEREBY SUBMIT A MOTION OF 'SHENANIGANS', You're full of schnitzengiggel, you pooplord!

(jokes aside, I don't know a single person with a 6 digit icq number, not that this would be a surprise considering the earliness

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Steezo posted:

Closest thing I've seen to old school UO working recently was some of the minecraft servers where goons were doing poo poo like building airplanes to fly into hotels, only to be beaten by another degenerate with a bunch of tnt. Oh and don't forget that everyone who wants to make a game with a UO ruleset keeps throwing every other bad decision games have made since then, like a hardon for permadeath, stat loss or horrible grinds. I just wanna kill a dude and turn him into jerky and wear his skull as a hat, is that too much to ask?

I can't tell if you liked or disliked UO from this post.

Because UO owned. Started playing in 98, and there was so much classic and stupid fun to be had.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Two Finger posted:

http://www.imanewbie.com/

seriously i can't believe this is still up, i was reading this poo poo when i was in high school

ImaNewbie and WTFman.com are what brought me to these here dumb forums of ours.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh yeah, and on the topic of card games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ5hYlWQ3vk

I mean, Riot Games were masturbating before, but now they've got to be straight skinning their dicks

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My new desktop's hardware is on the way.

Haven't built or modded a PC since 2009, but I figure 1000 Euros buys the same quality level in gaming rig today as it did back then, so I ran it past the haus of tech's building/upgrading thread and here's the result.

Ryzen 5 1600 x6 (this thing has six loving cores?)
Corsair Vengeance 2x 16GB 3200 DDR4 RAM
KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060. 6GB
MSI 350 Tomahawk (or PCmate, I don't recall) Mainboard.

This should yield reasonable levels for me to play through a whole bunch of titles I've not been able to run in good quality the past couple of years, chief among which are GTA IV and V, Fallout 4, and Skyrim in what I hope to be off-the-charts-stupid graphics.

Please also look forward to a Kraut doing stupid poo poo in front of your crosshairs in whichever flavor-of-the-month arena/freeplay shooter everyone's on soon-ish.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I used to stick to one family as well, but I read the reviews and shopped around here and there for comparisons, and while same-performance Ryzen models trail Intel models in gaming by a bit, they're also much cheaper, while outperforming in everything else, I'm pretty okay with that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

None of the games I own can get to the limit of my system's performance...this is pretty cool.

To be fair, I haven't bought any of the AAA titles in the last couple of years, but still.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The loving music in that trailer :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

cowboy elvis posted:

How does that image make you feel, Jerry?

:stwoon:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

Greenlight anime pedophilia simulators.

I googled that exact phrase, and this came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHNs6mkG7I

Uh...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Half Life 2 was the first time I got scared of heights in a computer game...I'll give it credit for that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just remembered I bought Battlefleet Gothic Armada on sale earlier this year, but my laptop couldn't run it.

BRB PURGING HERESY IN HIGH loving DEF

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Yeah because that's my gut reaction go-to curse when somebody angers me. I fly right past fuckface straight to the n-word.

When I got into Eve, it was during the time when ironic racism was already "being" faded out. Quotation marks because there had been like three or so Goonfleet leadership dudes that had even begun voicing that it may not be cool or good to use racist slurs for the sake of being ~super-edgy~ in a video game.

My first reaction to it was asking on Mumble why the guy using 'friend of the family' constantly and super-casually and even in instances where he was slightly inconvenienced was still in Goonfleet, and there was this awkward moment where you could tell that people agreed, but no one wanted to be "that guy".
You know, "that guy" that agrees with someone saying that the guy using 'friend of the family' should get the gently caress out. That was the level of being afraid of being labeled a social justice warrior in a turbo-edgy video gaming clubhouse.

And this was, bizzarely enough, not exclusive to Goonfleet. Being an edgy shitlord was pretty common in Eve in general. People tried to blame it on Reddit, but it certainly didn't come from there.

Even long after people FINALLY got called out for the dumb "ironic racism" excuse, "ironic antisemitism" still remains in the game today. Of that, I'm pretty much 100% sure, and I haven't played it in 3 years or so. Making money in PvE was called "jewing", guys with blingy ships meant exclusively for PvE were "jewlords", the capital system for the biggest and most greedy PvE group in Goonfleet was "JU-OWQ", tractor beams used for grabbing salvaged wrecks mid-fights were called "Jew-claws", group leadership legit used terms like "get your Jew on" between wars to stack up on ships, money, and resources.

When I mentioned that outside the group I was playing with, I got called a social justice warrior.

Heck, there were lots of dudes that used to be among the edgelord group that had to seriously try to police their language after being immersed in this dumb gaming culture for years, and occasionally slurs would just slip out embarrassing them massively. And their first thought was not to question how the gently caress they were in a culture where they were conditioned to think that ironic racism was somehow a thing, but to criticize that "it's so weird that you have to be PC in gaming now".

tl;dr:
95% of turbo-edgy gaming dudes probably aren't the flag-waving, hood-wearing racists, in real life, but they're loving retarded enough to think using racist slurs ironically "used to be okay" in gaming, and that it somehow wasn't racist in the first place, because they weren't being serious.

/edit:
gently caress me, I just remembered you couldn't even discuss the issue of "ironic" racism on these very loving forums in the Eve thread, because it would cause huge loving shitstorms over several pages between people that were all "it's not loving serious", or "it's just Eve culture, let it go, dude", and "lol stop being PC", and you know...the normal people. And I don't mean "couldn't discuss" because you wouldn't get a productive discussion, but because it got to the point where it was probatable to even bring it up.

Hell, even people in this here subforum were in the "Uh, stop talking about ironic racism" as opposed to stepping up and saying "Yeah, maybe the guys using it aren't literal Hitlers, but stop loving using racist slurs".

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 13, 2017

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I remember having played Mrch Commander, though I don't remember a single loving thing or even any remote memory of actually playing the game...that's a bit odd.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm halfway through the Twilight of the Clans series again, because I think I binged too hard on the 40k universe, and I'm getting a taste to a) play some of the old MW games for nostalgia, and b) play a good modern MW.

Any recommendations for the latter? Not sure what to think of MWO, but if it's decent, I'd give it a shot

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Don't know if anyone still plays FTL but, remember not to skimp on value point in O2. Was playing the Stealth B, Hard Mode, Balance Mod, got to the Flag Ship. Hacking landed O2, first volley knocked out my O2, by the time I repaired it was in single digits and everyone was dead. My ship was basically alpha strike with Glave, Flak I, weapon preignitor, and hacking. Moral of the story, don't neglect "minor" systems. Still a really fun game that I love going back to between other games.

I read this description, have no idea what's going on, but it still sounds intriguing.

This is Faster than Light, I'm assuming? 10 bucks on Steam sounds okay for a quick indie game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I know we have a bunch of dudes in GiP raking in six figures, so I feel silly for saying it, but I forgot how cool a decent amount of disposable income was.

And now it's the biggest amount of disposable income I've ever had while still putting away more than 20% into savings.

I think I'm gonna waste a bunch of money on Steam in the near future.