Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Disco Elysium became one of only 16 games ever to get a 10/10 review from Gamespot:

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1191717932105129984

Hell yeah hobocops unite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MGS: V was a good game and I’ll stand by it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/drileater/status/808759902156058624?s=20

good doggo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm really tempted to grab death stranding but I just got into Battletech and I think I'm hooked on that for now. I'm terrible at it though

HBS Battletech? get the called shot upgrade skill asap, load up on alpha strike with lazors and SRMS. rinse, repeat. positioning takes some effort now and then to avoid getting cored in your butt

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Steezo posted:

As terminal lance put it, it's a great grunt simulator, you're carrying an overpacked bag, walking everywhere, chugging monster and caring for someone else's kid.

Mustang posted:

That's what hooked me in from the start.

No idea what's going on in the story but it's weird and I like it.

:eyepop:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

gently caress me, all this Cyberpunk talk has me itching to pull the trigger despite not having a system to run it on high quality

I have a Ryzen 5 3.2 GHz, 16 gigs of RAM, and a 2070 6GB, specs say that should yield 1080p low quality...yeesh.

Still thinking about buying it, playing it through and then looking forward to replaying it on stupid quality once I buy a new system.

I'm playing on an i7-6700, 16 gigs, SSD, and GTX 1070. ~40 fps @ 1440p with tweaked settings to be mostly medium. Game looks good and plays well. A 2070 should kill it at 1080p, without RTX.

I'm still continuing my hunt to buy a 3070 or 3080.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Played a ton of CP2077 last night and I'm really enjoying it. Haven't reached the title card yet but I think I'm getting close. I decided to go blunt melee and INT/hacking for my first run -- waiting to do the reflex tree on a new character after I have a 3xxx series graphics card. Not noticing any serious bugs, just some UI glitches (cured by reloading), on my midrange PC. Game is super pretty and I am continually impressed by the amount of mo-cap and voice acting in the game. I can see why it took many years of effort to release. I mean, even in the prologue you can often go up to random NPCs and listen in to one side of voice-acted conversations, sometimes relevant to events going on in the world related to your current quest. Braindancing was very cool and I look forward to doing more jobs involving that. Game is everything I wanted so far to come out of CDPR as a different setting/protagonist/mechanics follow-up to W3, which I loved. This game is gonna age really well, especially after some W3-like patches and DLC.

I'm playing on hard difficulty. If you're breezing through the game and find it too short or too easy, up the difficulty. On hard, I can't simply beeline main quest and barge into some of the early prologue missions (e.g. the first one your first "big" fixer gives you) and melee everyone to death. Tried that, got owned. I find that stealth is possibly OP so far. After not being able to barge in and whack people, I went all MGS: V on their rear end and that helped a lot.

It's not a Gibson/Stephenson/Shadowrun cyberspace setting, which I think disappoints some people. But it was never meant to be? It's based off its own unique source material: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cyberpunk_2020_books . For those of you who own the game on PC, check out the included CP2020 guidebook PDF, it's pretty cool and as someone who did not play the RPG it provides very useful background reading. Some entertaining writing about future shock in there, too.

This game is very 2020 and very 2077 at the same time. A++ GOTY

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Bonus-thing (:haw:) I learned today is that the bonuses for the devteam at CDPR are tied to the review scores being above 90, and the outlook for the rating remaining there is quite grim.

like, why would you be happy about that?

and anyway you're wrong, management removed that requirement:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/12/12/cd-projekt-wont-hold-dev-bonuses-hostage-behind-cyberpunk-2077-review-scores/

game is really fun. I'm playing on a midrange PC.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it's kind of an odd hack; I can clearly see in task manager that the game is using >3GB system RAM and >4GB VRAM without the suggested hack.

Reading the reddit comments on the same issue there were a lot of people claiming no change, others claiming placebo after they measured in a few places, others claiming a real benefit.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's rough on PC without a good system, I'll say that much. I loved it on PS4, though.

depends how you define good system

I'm playing HZD at 1440p, 60 fps with almost all "high" graphics settings. On a 4-year old machine with an i7-6700 and GTX 1070.

Good game so far, but I'm not far in at all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Syrian Lannister posted:

My only issue with CP 2077 is driving using kb/mouse. I'm having fun just exploring the city.

motorcycles >>>>> cars in CP2077

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

GD_American posted:

HZD 2 not being out for a while took almost all the sting out of not being able to snag a PS5. It's pretty much the reason I'm going to get one.

Enjoyed HZD's main quest a ton of PC. but I haven't played the DLC quests and I'm not sure if I'd bother with a HZD 2 -- it feels like they wrote themselves into a corner with the main quest and any attempt to ret-con or add on to the story would probably not be nearly as good.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what are the best drop-in coop games currently on PC?

example: souls games, where I can just sunbro or bluebro for 15 minutes and really help someone out in their game world.

what other cool, popular games are there where you can just go briefly help someone out?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Very frustrated that Elden Ring does not recognize my xbox controller and trying to even build a character with mouse/keyboard, it detects rudder pedals and spazzes out the camera.

Some users report that unplugging everything including keyboard works. Other tried that and it still doesn’t work with PC controllers. I’ll maybe give them the weekend to patch it and then get a steam refund if it’s still hosed. I don’t feel like taking apart all my flight sim stuff in the hope that maybe it detects an xbox controller. This is rookie programming poo poo.

I'm playing using KB+M. after you figure out what goddamn keys correspond to menu controller actions, it works well

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Elden Ring chat. South Limgrave (edit: proper name Weeping Peninsula) is totally the natural progression after West/newbie Limgrave, although it's not obvious except for one Grace pointing hint. Highly recommend checking it out before the first big non-optional boss, lots of good enemies and loot.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 28, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/GeneticJen/status/1563047650131611649

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Steezo posted:

There's a moment in RDR2 where I found a klan rally getting together and as I was setting up an ambush and they set themselves on fire trying to burn a cross. I shot the survivors.

you're gonna make me play rdr2 single player. I did it for all of 30 minutes before jumping to multi

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dammit. I'm 100% hyped. worth finishing DS1? Was Fragile featured heavily in the story ending? I got maybe halfway through but then the story got weird and tedious. I enjoyed completing constructions around areas though.

maybe I should just watch youtube trailers of the ending

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

it's such a basic game concept, but I've been having fun playing Bloons Tower Defense 6 lately. Got it for free @ Epic Game Store at end of last year on PC. it's just surprising how well tower defense games have evolved over the past 15 years. they have a lot of different game modes in it, including various coop and challenge modes, and the game is perfect for short, easily interrupted gameplay sessions

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

no but everything i’ve read has been super positive

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

Anyone else try out the Diablo 4 beta? I was underwhelmed with it. It feels like Diablo Immortal and that's not a compliment. I like the art style although I didn't mind Diablo 3's. I do feel like they are trying to interject too much story, and most of it is uninteresting. I felt like Diablo 1 and 2 worked because there was plenty of action in between the story where here it seems to get in the way. Remember in Diablo 3 where Azmodan pops up to annoy you in the snowy fields? A system for that already exists in the first chapter (blood petal visions) And the game feels slow. Maybe the horse helps out.

Finished all the main story quests and I like where the story is going but it's like they are just lifting the story from Diablo 2 and 3 here. You are always behind the action like in Diablo 2, even Lorath ditches your rear end to go ahead after meeting him. And there is even a replacement for Leah. I think we are a nephalim again as well. The Bloodied Wolf is the only interesting part of the story and I think everyone can figure out who that is.

Will have to wait and see how the end game is because that is 90% of the Diablo experience anyway. And after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I would worry about it. Anyway 5/10 could be worse but there is a lot to be desired I think. End game will make or break it.

Now if you are looking for a fun game, check out Mighty Doom on mobile. You get to be the Mini Slayer! It's a weird little bullet hell game that is great for killing time. And demons.

I just made an effortpost about D4 beta over in VG forum D4 main thread. tl;dr game will probably be good in a year, right now just 'ok I guess'

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1682073196810453017?s=20

ah, yeah, dammit

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

you're all terribly mixing up GPU/TPU poo poo. TPUs are google's custom silicon and only found in Google Cloud. other companies have their on ASICs or FPGAs but they are not TPUs. meanwhile yes, GPUs are very much used in various clouds. and yes, nvidia had TSMC allocate more manufacturing capability to make GPUs for the A100/H100 ML cards. but the bottleneck right now isn't actual GPU manufacturing, it's the packaging process to put huge amounts of memory on those cards. so there's no gaming GPU shortage because of ML cards being bought for industry use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

you guys ever check out the sim wargame genre, basically modern day Harpoon on PC?

i found a link pointing at https://www.matrixgames.com/game/command-modern-air-naval-operations-wargame-of-the-year-edition but are there other, better (public) games on PC?