Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Steam: Hekk
PSN: Leftie247

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ill take some in a bit

I have a ton of MAME stuff on the raspberry pi 3 I bought. It's amazing what this little thing can push when you overclock it, add a couple of heat sinks, and put a fan on the case.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Frosted Flake posted:

That's awesome thanks. Do I need special tools or solder or anything? I grew up with Macs and only ever played on Xbox before now.

There are only a couple of things that you can really screw up when building a new pc. Just pay attention to how your processor is oriented when you try to put it in the motherboard. There is a notch out of one corner that makes it only fit one way. Do t try to force it to fit any other way or you will bend the pins and ruin it.

Once the processor is in, make sure your heat sink has thermal paste on it before you put it on the processor. Almost all of them should but if not you have to buy paste and put a dime size drop on the processor.

Finally make sure you read your motherboard layout diagram to see where to connect fans (case fans and CPU fans go different places) and you can get your USB ports, leds, and power buttons on your case to work right.

If you can do those three things you can easily build a pc in 2 or 3 hours.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Deathy McDeath posted:

:ssh: processors don't use pins any more

I just built two new rigs over Christmas and I didn't even notice that intel chips don't use pins anymore. I just remove the cpu from it's plastic and put it directly into it's socket. I guess that just goes to show how easy things are today compared to how it used to be.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Just got back from a Cobra Gold and some Korean Amphibious Assault demonstration. My wife bought me a Switch while I was gone. I went to the electronics store in town to buy Zelda since it's dual Japanese/English. This is a good Zelda game. I am not sure what else I am going to use this thing for but I'll be damned if I'm not having fun with it for now.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how much snake blood did you drink gunny? also welcome back

I stayed with the ship since I am attached to it. I did drink a fuckton of Thai beer, switch to rum at lunch, and puke in some lovely cab trying to get back though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

there was this old turnbased game, Strike COmmander II which was really cool

it had like every plane post WWII and you just zoomed around and bombed sites and did engagements and stuff. I wish there were more games like that

like I wish there was just an air version of harpoon, or hell I might be willing to try harpoon again but I don't think it's easy to come by or maybe its just expensive, I haven't looked in awhile

edit: It wasn't strike commander II that never existed, I'm mixing up titles, off to mobygames to try and remember it

edit2: Flight Commander II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=craBy-plA8c&t=447s

I play the poo poo out of Command Modern Air Naval Operations but I am a giant nerd and have played wargames for decades. It's really just a big sandbox where you can have scenarios setup with different modern OOBs. Don't expect anything in the way of a narrative or anything.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 19, 2017

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Missionary Positron posted:

I've been wanting to play that game for ages, but I feel like it's going to be Crusader Kings 2/EU all over again, where I boot it up every six months or so and just give up due to the complexity :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhTe4skXdk
Baloogan is a goon who put out a bunch of CMANO videos. His resolution is poo poo in these videos but they are what I watched to get the basics down.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought an anime video game called Disgaea 5 for my Switch and if you skip through all the talking it's a lot of fun. :banme:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Two Finger posted:

yeah i was playing as rome and just like idk wtf they're like ok you should go take this town so i sent my army to do so and then like 3 armies of theirs took the town i'd just taken

i guess i need to play a bit slower and build up for a while?

I have owned pretty much every Total War game but I never get further than loving around in my own custom battles. I usually switch between trying to defend against a horde of the cheapest enemies using only siege weapons (trebuchets, catapults, cannons, etc) and then attacking with the conscripts against a fort. Ohh and in Empire Total War I would use the exploding rafts against the most expensive ships for the enemy.

Something must be broken in me because I can do the same type battles with small variations for hours like this.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have a GE62 and use it on ship every time I go underway. Works great but it hurts knowing how much more laptops cost than a desktop.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

http://youtubedoubler.com/kY97

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I bought a switch because I'm traveling overseas and my day to day work involves a lot of downtime and zelda owns mario kart owns gently caress the haters.

It's a terrible system and def not worth it if you don't have a need for zelda or portable stuff (lol Vita (which I have with me too))

I actually really like my Switch. I play Mario Kart and Zelda and Disgaea 5 on it while I am at work. I don't think it's a lovely system at all. It's a ton better than the Wii U was.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ded posted:

I want to like pubg but I think I need a new mobo/cpu to do it. It just always chugs for me even after tweaking the poo poo out of it. Had the same problem with BF1. This old quad core just ain't got what it takes anymore.

I have an ASROCK Z170 Gaming K4

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Motherboards-FATAL1TY-Z170-GAMING/dp/B012D7GXNK

You can have it for the cost of shipping if you'd like. I thought it was a bad Motherboard and bought my wife a new one. Turns out it was a bad stick of RAM. Now I have an extra motherboard sitting in my spare bedroom. Put an I5 6600K in it and you can overclock the crap out of it if you like.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I keep almost buying the Crash Bandicoot remaster. I'm afraid that adult me won't like it nearly as much as kid me.

I have emulated the PlayStation games and they hold up surprisingly well if you keep in mind that it's a 2.5D platformer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Monster Hunter XX on the Switch is pretty drat fun. I can't read Japanese for poo poo but I've been stumbling around with my son and managed to make it to the 2 star quests and upgrade some of my armor. I don't know if it will get an english language port because Capcom probably thinks it'll take sales from Monster Hunter World but it's everything good about the 3DS games without the lovely portable console controls.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pinball FX 3 came out for Steam, PS4, and XBONE a few hours ago. With it came a new 3 pack of pinball tables called Universal Classics; which includes ET, Back to the Future, and Jaws. Usually there is at least one lovely table in their sets but all three of these are really fun.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What the gently caress is going on in Metal Gear V? I've spent the last hour as half blind Snake, missing a hand, and following some dudes rear end crack around while futuristic hit men kill all the doctors, nurses, and patients. Meanwhile levitating fire girl summons flame demons and moves concrete slabs with her mind.

I played metal gear back on the PSX and again on the PS2. It was convoluted but nowhere near this batshit crazy. Does this get any better because I am about to set this one down and admit I am not on the same drugs as the dude who wrote this poo poo.

Edit-Yeah now a fire whale came out of the sky and ate a helicopter and levitating fire girl hopped on a flying fire unicorn and rode off into the sky.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 15, 2017

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Okay so ElMaligno piqued my curiosity and I bought Caves of Qud. I'm a veteran of NetHack and Dwarf Fortress so it's not unfamiliar, but the content is new for me since I didn't get far into HellMOO. Trying to figure out a way to shrink the size of the tileset since it is huge.

Is this similar to Tales of Maj'Eyal?

I am a sucker for rogue likes and used to play the poo poo out of old school MUDs because I am a turbo nerd.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Never played that one. Dying frequently learning the mechanics since I don't want to run to a wiki and spoil figuring it out. It's a little uncomfortable since I'm so used to DF adventure mode where you have to interact with everything in complex ways. Like I'm used to "use right hand to grab enemy's left third finger and use left hand to bash enemy's right eye socket with silver hammer" whereas this is more like NetHack's direction+attack button/hotkey.

Yeah I used to play Dwarf Fortress but never really got too far in adventure mode. I do remember sneaking into a village and murdering all the children at night. When the parents woke up and found their dead kids one of the moms went beserk and killed a couple of villagers. That in turn caused a spouse to beserk and the entire village spiraled into a giant brawl that killed everything except some of the livestock.

Regular fortress mode took too many 3rd party programs to really get running smoothly. I have played a bit of rimworld since.

TOME is a traditional roguelike that switched from Tales of Middle Earth over to generic fantasy. It's free from the website and like 8 bucks on steam if you want to support the dev. It's got a couple of nifty tile sets and plays pretty well with keyboard or mouse controls.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Why are you playing BBS games from 1998

It's :10bux: and a proper roguelike. I've only got a few hours in but if you like the genre this game is a blast.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dude McAwesome posted:

Any of your dudes getting Destiny 2 on PC?

I thought about it since I liked the first one well enough. Probably going to wait and see how it reviews before I pull the trigger though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You guys are punching Nazis and I am thowing my hat at goombas and bullet bills. New Mario game is the best one since Mario 64.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

nostalgia4ass is getting back into eve and I know for a fact a lot of you nerds play because only vets are broke brained enough for that game. would any of yall ever want to play together?

All I've managed to do in a month is getting blown up a couple of times doing exploration ( never in wormholes or null sec though. Both times were in low sec). And mine a poo poo ton of ice while trying to train my other guy into manufacturing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

its curtains for Kevin posted:

SuperMario Odyssey is awesome. Totally worth what I spent on it.

Top 3 so far
There’s moais who wear sunglasses that let you see hidden paths

Bowser’s cow lick

The desert region is called the tostada world and you can wear a poncho and buy a sombrero with Doritocoin (the local currency)

If you haven't seen the finale in New Donk City you are in for a throwback treat. Game is the most fun I've had in years. I played for four hours straight this afternoon which is something I never do with videogames. Every world has something I love about it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

The original was my favorite Sega game.

Looks interesting. I love the idea of Blood Bowl but it takes way too long to play and the dice gods constantly gently caress you over which really makes it feel like your choices don't have nearly the impact that pure luck does.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My go to time killers are Europa Universalis 4, Cities Skylines, Stardew Valley, and Binding of Isaac.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have two regular PS4s but never upgraded to the PS4 Pro. I see Microsoft has a new XBox One X thing out that is supposed to offer true 4k video game rendering and 4k Bluray optical drive. It's 500 bucks but a UHD Bluray player itself is like 300 dollars right now. Am I insane to be thinking about buying one of these things to use on my fancy 4k TV that I have never used anything 4k on before?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

just get an xbox one s for like $180

Isn't the new XBONE X supposed to be the only console to render in 4k or some poo poo? I know the XBONE S has been slashed in price but I don't know if it's worth another 250 dollars to get the fancier one. I will probably just sell one of my PS4s since I don't use them anymore.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I haven't played the previous 5 games but the new Forza is a lot of fun and looks great on my Xbonx. My hands hurt because I grip the controller too tightly when racing but I must have gotten 5 hours straight out of the game before I had to take a break.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

"Now you're not sleeping and we're not junkyard hounds. We're diamond dogs."

Just started since I have the game for my xbonx. We'll see how it is. So far the story has been batshit crazy and I don't think it's getting any more comprehendible.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Missionary Positron posted:

Holy poo poo, that's scummy. Also, an expansion after the game has been out for what, three months? :wtc:

In 1996 a N64 game cost $60 ($94.37 in 2017 dollars).
In 1996 a Playstation game cost $50 ($78.64 in 2017 dollars).

Despite inflation and the increased cost of creating more and more complex games, consumers have been very resistant to price increases. What we are seeing now is a direct consequence of the smaller profit margins per unit sold.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Soul Caliber is a good and fun fighting game. Except for all the cheese dick Maxi players spamming his nunchucks over and over and over.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I didn't like the first game. The story was good but I hated sneaking around trying to kill more and more plant zombies.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Third World Reggin posted:

I love microtransactions

Barbie houses in MMOs are some of the less egregious microtransations. Granted 100 bucks is way too much but I've spent money on appearance armor, housing, and mounts in EverQuest 2. Then again I also put thousands of hours into the game so throwing a few bucks to make my character look cool never felt like a big deal.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

impulse bought a used Switch and thought a portable RPG would be amazing. Thought the box art for xenoblade chronicles 1 looked dope, but that was the extent of that. So figured I’d check the second one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiVZMxf4E2Q

phew

Take a look at the Octopath Traveler Demo. Otherwise Disgaea 5 is really fun if you skip literally every single cutscene and don't try to pay any attention to the terrible story. Grinding levels and breaking the game with crazy mechanics is super satisfying. I put like 60 hours into it before I got bored and sat it down.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

brand engager posted:

Don't put a linux on your desktops

Linux is pretty great if you dont want to play videogames. You can get a windows like gui that has all the native apps for word processing, spreadsheets, email, and internet that can easily be locked down to where the end user can't screw anything up. It's idiot proof and super reliable once things are setup correctly. DoD should have gone to Linux years ago instead of paying through the nose to keep Windows XP limping along way past it's usefulness.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

There was a big Xbox digital game sale and I needed some stuff to play on my Xbonx so I bought Assassin's Creed IV, Dishonored, and Life Is Strange. Been playing through Assassin's Creed and it's actually pretty decent. I've never played any of the other games before so I am not sure what the gently caress is going on with the storyline but sailing boats around and shooting poo poo is pretty fun.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Delizin posted:

I am in the Sea of Thieves alpha test group, but I haven't actually played it yet. They sent me an email saying they will being going into closed beta soon and it will launch sometime in March of next year.

Let us know how it is. So far it looks like Destiny with pirates which isn't all that cool honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It took me buying the game for three systems and starting to play multiple times but I finally get why everyone loves The Witcher 3 so much. I am like 8 hours in and just cleared the final monster nest in the starting town. I am moving on to the place with the giant hang man's tree.