Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So I used to play a bunch of SWAT 4 with my wife and my friends. It scratched an itch no other game really did, and it was fun to play in 8 person coop to slowly slice apart buildings by wedging doors and knocking out a room after a room. Especially Stetchkov Syndicate that added a gently caress ton of maps, and then Elite Force mod.
I originally backed a game called Ready or Not long long time ago as they promised to fulfill that same niche of police gaming that really no other game does. It looked good, then went into development hell and they turned into PVP and went real crazy. Then, all of a sudden, a week ago, they release into steam in a coop only state and...

It's good! Real good! Dunno what the gently caress happened, but the game really pulled up and is SWAT 5 in all but name. Devs promise female officer, map tools, and extensive steam workshop modding. And lots of other features. If they hold on to those, the replayability of this game will be in the stratosphere easily.
I made a little thread and discord about it and we've been hammering it ever since together.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988065

But there's probably people in this thread that played Swat 4 back in the day, Check this game out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

K:D tactic: Play as the tank gunner in Hell Let Loose. Just fire HE any time you think maybe you saw something or if a hedge row doesn't have friendlies in it, or if you see a house, or if you heard something maybe. Walk out having positively seen 10-ish infantry kills, but with 25+ infantry kills in reality based on all the dudes you killed in bushes or rooms you never saw. Bonus if you fire blind, and see a stahlhelm go sailing through the air afterward.

The downside: die in a tank and spend 5 minutes getting back to the fight whereas infantry just respawn like roaches at the front lines.

To piggy back off of this Hell Let Loose is a lot of fun and makes team work very easy. It's harder to NOT cooperate with all the available tools like pings, mark markers, command chat, etc etc.
We've been playing on a three man tank crew for the past days and doing tank combat while coordinating with friendly tanks and the commander of our team, and friendly infantry crawling all around us, is a lot of fun and it's funny to exchange quips with the riflemen outside your tank with proximity chat.

Here's some screenshots of us using a 76mm Sherman to bag kitty cats.
These are all from my perspective as the tank commander. The TC has no weapons, only binoculars, a good map, map tools, and command chat. What makes HLL even better is that they gave the driver the hull MG so that he isn't just driving, the gunner obviously has cannon and coax, but also: the team shares all the kills. I can read the map as a commander and when Muhlump's hosing stahlhelms on the street, I get kills too.

The driver has to use gears and fairly clunky turning, these tanks don't move like BF1942 tanks. But it's also a good thing, it forces the tank to be careful of where it moves, and doesn't allow the crew just willy nilly scoot around. It's really funny to tangle in the bocage with enemy tanks and do a blistering 22mph flanking maneuver and nail them.

As a tank commander you can get pretty task saturated with spotting, giving the driver instructions, reading the map, and using command chat, but it's like a fun task saturation when your crew is yelling at you and the driver spots the enemy tank since you are face down in a map, and the gunner nails the Panzer 4 before you even had the chance to participate and then you just say "crew good job, driver go forward".

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 27, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ok, you’ve piqued my interest. I really enjoyed SWAT 4 back in 2005 and while I never played multiplayer (because my copy was :filez:, ban me from beyond the grave Lowtax) I could see how this would be super fun. As it turns out I’m off all this upcoming week so I’d love to join in and play with you and whoever else is into it. Thanks for putting this out there!

Please do! The discord's fairly small and we originally just played in Air Goons discord but I decided to just make a new one to lure in non-airplane goons. The game's real good, I recommend.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

This time we were AT gunners instead of tankers. Takes some effort to position it in Hell Let Loose since you gotta have supply man with supplies, AT guy with the gun placement, and squad leader with binoculars but it's fun teamwork.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Help me empty my bank account.

After my friend took me flying on Tuesday I'm keen to get into a proper flight sim. And proper controls.

Recommend me your best flight sims - MS? - and controllers.

My forte.
https://giant.gfycat.com/AcclaimedDownrightAlligator.mp4

Do you want to fly civilian sims? Microsoft flight simulator 2020: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445

Do you want to fly modern and early modern jet planes and helicopters in war? DCS World: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

Do you want to fly WW2 and WW1 propeller planes with Nazis, Soviets, Brits, and Americans? IL-2 Great Battles: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413

However, first and foremost, join our discord: https://discord.gg/6fQMsff
In Discord, there's a channel for everything your heart desires, and great ways to find out exactly what you want, from hardware to software, and people to assist you in both decision making, and questions.

Check out our Air Goons wiki page with helpful material and informaiton on modules:
IL-2 starting guide: https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Beginner_Guide
DCS World module pages and info on each plane to buy: https://www.airgoons.com/w/Digital_Combat_Simulator

AND LASTLY for all: Air Goons are doing a Let's PLay of DCS World, doing a semi realistic 2008 Georgian war turned one notch harder, with goons playing a EU-NATO air unit sent to help in the war, we'll use human ATC, Human air battle managers in the AWACS, and lots of nerdery for everyone from around 30 player controlled planes and a huge air war.
Check it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989829

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 6, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wow. Thanks!!!!

If you simply post in the General channel with "I have way too much money and I like airplanes", you'll get dogpiled upon and just @me when it gets too bad. But just barge in and tell em what you need and like and it just kind of goes downhill from there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Arrath posted:

...those are cool.

Can you do entirely silly poo poo like treat them as plug and play inputs for any game?

Like, using one for an RTS. Or even Factorio or the like. Yeah, I'm insane.

Yeah, they register as game controllers. You can do whatever you want, play Mario if you so desire.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I made a post here earlier about the Georgian War 2008 Let's Play thread, and now that that war has ended, we're aiming for even bigger and loftier goals. This time it's a 1990 June alternate history Sixth Arab-Israeli War, and it's including realistic map of Syrian SAM sites, orders of battle, and israeli positions, with a little bit of a narrative flavor to it. There's a metric gently caress ton of players in all kinds of roles, and we got room for more if you just have interest. It'd be hard to sum up here all that it is, so I'm just linking some random information tidbits.

Here's the main map of the game with a huuuuge amount of the in-game stuff visible: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1FqSMMT7sxxOPvIzfgQsvfsEDVd7jikQt&usp=sharing

DCS is a mainly extremely realistic flight simulation, but also has ground units and naval units.

"Bottom line up front: Some 40 goons will fly a plot-heavy campaign in the Levant in 1990 as an mainly Israeli Air Force unit, with some American help from a carrier. Weekly main mission scheduled at 2000hrs Universal Time on Saturdays. The time means that there’s no AMRAAMs, no Targeting Pods, no helmet mounted sights, and many other weapons are limited. Israel also lacks the ability to employ HARMs, relying on the older Shrike which will require significantly more piloting ability to deliver to the recipient."

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993395

mashed_penguin posted:

This is Captain Mashed of Carrier Air Wing 8 reporting in. I will be overseeing the tasking and employement of the USA's carrier based assets present in theatre. Israel may have the politicians at home at its beck and call but to get US Naval Aviators onboard they have to go through me :colbert:

As the flight surgeon has temporarily witheld my flight status I will be staying abord ship for the initial flights of this campaign. However this will only give me more time to devote to the true purpose of naval aviation, grading landings.

I will be deploying a new air wing greenie board for this operation. A handy grading key has been provided for future reference.

Remember CASE I more like CASE FUN.

Yooper posted:

This is a classified brief from the office of Aluf Yooper. Back in May my office received tasking from the Defense Minister, Yitzhak Rabin.

Operation Convergence is our task. It will begin, 0600hrs to 2100hrs, 10th June 1990. Our task is simple.

1. Establish air superiority over the Levant.
2. Push back the SAM network enroaching on israeli air space.

Israeli Army ground units will advance to secure objectives. More details will come on our tasking but initially we are aiming for a second Operation Focus. Which is no less than the complete destruction of the Syrian Air Force on the ground. Our aim is to remove the SAM threat, strike nearby Syrian Air bases, destroy Syrian Radar sites, and then cover the advance of the Merkava's and M60's.

This letter will be delivered to the UN by our Ambassador, Yohanan Bein at 1200, 10 June 1990.

Flight leads, as the intel picture develops my office will provide tasking. An example strike will look something like this.

1. SEAD by A-4E's.
2. Facility Strikes by F-16's.
3. Runway strikes by M2000's.
4. CAP by F-15C's.
5. USN F-18's as FireWall and back cover.

In regards to the USN assets, I intend to minimize the risk of escalation to the US. Their is a limit to good will, and I don't want to break that limit. So even though they could strike Damascus, it may not be in there best interest to agree to that. But they may excel at striking a radar near Tyre for example.

This is a brief draft of our initial planning. More details to come later.

1. Practice your core tasks against MIG-21's, MIG-23's, SA-6/SA-8, and Shilka's.
2. Prepare your flight for sustained operations.
3. Our Armored Units will excel in this environment. I intend to let them hunt tanks and advance while we choke the defending units of fuel and supplies. Tank busting is fun, but will be secondary to primary mission tasking.
4. UNDOF and UNIFIL will be present in the deconfliction zone. Don't shoot the UN forces. Don't even drop empty fuel tanks on them. Just don't do it. They'll be the people you wave to on your way to the AO. They'll be in bright white vehicles with UN stenciled in blue.

Vahakyla posted:

To give some idea of the level of accuracy and the attention to detail we are doing here I show what is taking us many sleepless nights, and hours and hours of every day.

Research into the units that exist, their MTO, locations, and inventories are taken into the account.
The SAM network of Syria in 1990 is replicated very faithfully here, down to each location. There's some disconnects between 1990 when compared to 2012 and 1998, two years where solid information is available of the network. Anyway, here's a Syrian Early Warning Radar, roughly at 33.323, 36.295 south of Damascus.

Pictured in DCS, and the Google Maps, and our 1990 layer of map icons.
Map tool: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1FqSMMT7sxxOPvIzfgQsvfsEDVd7jikQt&usp=sharing

And it shown in the game with labels on:

Next example:

SA-2 site south of Damascus

In google maps and our game map overlay:

Ingame map:

Game world:

Another example:

Here is the Israeli Northern Command, their Golan Heights and adjacent major command and its table of organization.

And on the game map:

So how hard are we going?
Answer: yes

Lord Stimperor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTX1lI8COuQ

To The Press Attachee at the IDF

I am Adam Katz with the Haifa Herald. The Geneva Star claims to have inside information about possible military interventions at the Tiran Straits. I have attached their front page. The Haifa Herald has covered IDF affairs extensively in the past. We would like your comment on these rumours and, if possible, discuss the current national seucurity situation with you.

Regards,
A. Katz
Senior editor

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Another airgoon made a really neat video for our upcoming nerd poo poo campaign. It's worth checking out really. Airplanes and cool music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfoGRRN9VsU&t=4s

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
On a completely non-airplane related topic, how does coop work in Elden Ring?
Steam says it hs coop, but I don’t get how it is supposed to tie in. Is this a chill vibe coop I could play with my wife?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

:allbuttons:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Chivalry 2 is a good game. It is largely more of the same as the first one, but it also takes some of the shittier sides of the first one, like dragging attacks, and making them part of the game, thus removing some of their gimmickness and fuckiness.

Game's been out a year, but now it is on Steam. We've been playing it with Air Goons, and the 3v3 mode is a lot of fun. The game doesn't require millisecond timing windows for succesful attacks, but rather uses a fairly neat system where you can do really well despite not being the highest CPS nerd.

The horses are cool, and cavalry charges are loving devastating to stand in front of.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Godholio posted:

Can you still shout Monty Python-esque taunts and scream mindlessly?

Yeah, with quick wheels.

I got my arm cut off but kept fighting, my character just calmly stated "send for the surgeon, please".

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If there's one thing I miss from Finland it's the ability to walk anywhere without regard for who owns the land. I have fond memories of hunting with my mom growing up, looking for white tail deer or moose. Most hunts would end up in never catching anything, but I guess that wasn't the point in the first place.

The somewhat old game theHunter: Call of the Wild, released its Revontuli Coast DLC, and the combo is like 12 bux on Steam. It has an imaginary game reserve in Finland, that combines the Lapland fell mountains with central lake Finland features, and some baltic coast. It's bazillion miles accross, and a sight to behold. They loving nailed it. From the box storage of weapons in Finnish hunting cabins, to the fully voice acted game warden Oiva who explains Finnish culture and traditions to you on the guided tours, and the absolutely perfectly nailed nature and sights really legit took me back to Finland, walking around the woods with my mom.

There's African Savanna, Yukon, Mississippi, Russian Taiga, etc etc in other maps. Something for everyone.

It's worth 12 bucks in combo, and real loving fun.
When you are in SP mode, you have guided tours and voice acted missions. Your progress stays when you load it in MP, but there's no missions. Then you can have 8 people in coop to hunt together with.
I last night succesfully laid in ambush and my wife drove a herd of deer towards me, and I nabbed two. Drive hunting is illegal in Finland. Sue me.

This hunting cabin is like 69 420 percent THE Finnish hunting hut. Blew my mind, goons.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 29, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Do you (or anybody else) happen to know what I should search to learn more about this ritual meant to fool a bear’s spirit into believing it died by accident?

It is referred to as Peijaiset. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peijaiset

I left Finland a decade ago, but I saw Peijaiset still being performed out of respect when a grizzly was caught. And moose, too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

This is really interesting and touching, thank you.

I dunno if I have any pictures of it, since it was at the dawn of smartphone era, but a group of people caught three big moose at the same time and there were huge Peijaiset held at the same time and it was a very sweet event, all in all. A big fire was built and some old poems read about the mighty finnish moose legends.

I'm not religious in any way, but I feel some spark with connecting a hunt where you intend to eat the food to some mythology. I dunno, hard to explain. It's not like I danced naked chanting Finnish curses every time I saw a deer getting dragged to the barn, but I felt like I was obligated(?) somehow to proverbially nod my head at the animal.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Radio Commander is on sale for 3 bux, and it's like 4,50bux with the squad management DLC.

You are a company commander and all you have really is a map and a compass, and the game is played over the radio itself. You never see the action at all, and you have to keep your own mental map or map markers of where the dudes are. The platoons that go to the missions have unique characters and their platoon leaders have different personalities. It's a really neat little game.

If you want to click around in single player to a unique game, this might be it. I really like it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/871530/Radio_Commander/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

piL posted:

Awesome find! I'm very excited to try this, I posited an idea for an RTS a long time ago when thinking about unrealistic ACW and Napoleonic wargames where you could see everything and didn't have things like people misinterpreting your orders or message runners interrupted, or just general comms issues. This seems better.

Yeah this actually has even incorrect reports sometimes, depending on your settings.

Watching a replay and seeing your PL report incorrect location during a decisive point, and seeing the VC patrol following you the whole way when the US platoon never reports seeing anyone is really cool with hindsight.

Your other PL might report movement, and the first PL might say it is his platoon.

Or it might be charlie…

I just started a new game again with the squad management DLC and I played the first mission. This is the after-mission replay that has god's eye view. The Bravo reports that they see movement ahead of them, and Alpha commander said it's probably his platoon. No firefight erupted and the VC slipped away despite being right there.

The VC then engages the platoon as its buddy platoon has already left for the LZ.

After the game this is the AAR you see:
The little game map icons are freely placed by you and you can name them and style them, and you are responsible for moving them. None of them correspond to any actual location unless you move them on top of the coordinate the platoon leader says they are at during a radio call when you ask for a status report. It's neat.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 1, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Despite having bunch of launch bugs, there's a lot of good in Way of the Hunter. I made an OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010247

But it's a chill hunting game with beautiful nature, fairly realistic mechanics and a lot of relaxation by walking in virtual woods.
I'll shamelessly steal another goon's screenshots.

Lumme posted:

As alright this is at this point, it has some pretty odd things with environmental sounds, small swamp puddles make wave sounds more suitable for large lakes or oceans, and ambient animal sounds are very directional and rotate with you, which is not disorienting at all. And goddamn I hope they hurry up with the FOV slider, the current one is just an atrocity to the eyes. Anyways, here's some screenshots from driving around opening the map, maybe next I'll actually learn to hunt properly:

There's probably GiP goons who'd find this relaxing. We've played it a bunch on Air Goons but right now the launch desync sorta wipes multiplayer out. In multiplayer the host is the "owner" of the preserve and clients can help them, since the game has genetics and selective breeding and herd management that is all persistent throughout the game. It's a 55 square mile area to get lost in. It's been fun!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
RDR is one of the best games I have ever played. The start is slow and controls suck as a console port, but past that it is a breathtaking masterpiece.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Yooper posted:

Do you like planes and think this looks awesome?

If the answer is No! Then do I have something to show you.

Want to coordinate goons as they fly complex and detailed flight operations? You'll be on the edge of your seat as you watch your friends fly into the jaws of death. Dogfights will erupt and you'll be in rapt silence as one icon swirls around another. The crackling of radios and calls for help are your only weapons to help your fellow goons. Fresh radar contacts erupt and you watch as they resolve into inbound MIG's. More targets, and the CAP is almost bingo...

This is LOTAtc (It's free, we have a server license). https://www.lotatc.com/ You, the Air Traffic Controller, Air Battle Manager, or Ground Battle Manager, connect to the AirGoons DCS server at mission time. As the ATC you launch folks in the proper order and make sure they don't drive into each other. Ramat David airbase has 3 runways and sometimes we'll have all three going to get the package up on time. It seems easy, but you are the only one with the tools to coordinate it smoothly.

As an Air Battle Manager you'll direct units onto targets or away from threats.

You'll give folks a BRAA, Bearing, Range, Altitude, Aspect, call. See them straying over SAM cover? Call them back! Goons love to get target fixated, like a Labrador on a tennis ball, it's your task to keep them alive and mission competent.

The Ground Battle Manager focus on strikers or A2G, half the time the targets don't give us a radar return (the exception is boats). So you vaguely steer strikers into a target zone and hope they know what to do. Critically you have to warn them of incoming interceptors or a sudden SAM threat. You are the eyes in the sky to keep those strikers alive. Do you pull them back and call in Hornets to strike a SAM? Or do you task a Harrier for a low altitude gun run? The GBM and ABM work hand in hand like Hansel and Gretel dropping a trail of breadcrumbs to success.

Interested? We'll train you, get you up to speed, and make sure you know the difference between a TALD and a HARM. We've got some really talented ATC and Ground Control, but real life has struck and we could use some more. Same for ABM and GBM. It's actually a lot of fun and you become a huge force multiplier that leads to mission success. The only thing you need is a microphone, SRS, LotATC and a couple of hours on a Saturday.

Hit me up on the Discord : https://discord.gg/airgoons or ping me here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Let's say I want Banished, with Colonial Charter, but in coop. I love playing Anno with my wife when I can share everything, and Banished is a favorite of both of us. But in coop?
Kingdoms Reborn seems a bit similar, but how's the multiplayer? Any other ideas?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm at that age where playing plane kitten herding sounds more fun than shooting missiles

Hell yeah, welcome aboard.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anno 1800 is back on Steam and it has a steep discount for the game and DLCs.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/

If managing spinning plates is your thing, or you love coop, this is your game. It has the HOI-style everything is shared coop where you could place a building and someone can delete it. You can play with up to four people and it's amazing how you divide tasks of trade routes, islands, and quest tasks. It's all up to you to divide them and I play this with my wife and two friends and it's great fun. With the DLCs you get 6 different geographical areas to manage from Africa to Arctic and all kinds of population tiers and goods.

It's hard to really explain what Anno is like in a few sentences but if you've tried it before, you know precisely what is so good.

Shamelessly stealing another goon's beautiful city:

physeter posted:

Getting ready to retire this playthrough, and I liked my Crown Falls enough to share it. I've had a canal problem ever since they first released the pack, which is that they looked great and every time I tried to use them I hated what I made. It all just looked out of place and total poo poo. So on this Crown Falls, I painted the majority of the map in solid canal, and then began to build, carving into the canal as if it were grass. Gradually, a city emerged that actually looks like it might have legitimate waterways.

The Grande Canal begins at the Falls themselves, passing the World's Fair on the right and modest investor housing on the left bank.

It proceeds through a mixed neighborhood of engineers, artisans and some manufacturing before flowing to the plain below. All the canal tiles in this metropolis are connected to one another, absolutely every last one. If I could get in a first person boat mode I could paddle all the way from the Falls to the brink of the sea.

Flowing around the Main Botanical Garden, and the walls of the Arctic Museum in the background...

...to at last fill the main basin surrounding the Palace. From there it flows downhill to...

...the main tourist hotel complex and Crown Falls Aquarium.

A random night time shot, the city has hundreds of angles like this.

Time for a restart. Goodnight, watery Crown Falls.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 9, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Huh, didn't know you couldn't hunt at night

What? I never had that happen. Glitch?

No. People tend to find Trevor threatening so they call cops. It’s annoying.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
True Crime: Streets of LA worked actually pretty well as a game. And the NYC sequel. I remember also wearing full cop uniform in the cutscenes and arriving with a Crown Vic. It was lol.

True Crime Streets of LA could do with a modern remake.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What if WW2 Online would be remade in Unreal 5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFLCXbyuxw

That's what these nerds claim. Might have to dive into it again if it ever happens.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So Hell Let Loose, which is already a great game, just published their roadmap.

It includes Danzig 1939 and Winter War 1939. Finnish and Polish Forces incoming.
And British troops!

Not only is it cool because it is going towards early war with shittier tanks and equipment, but adding Finland means another Axis country to fight against Soviets, so that Axis isn't always Germans. I'm really stoked for the update, and the roadmap is here:

Here's Muhlump, myself, and Valtonen just dunking on the enemy from top of the Erpeler Ley Plateau, overlooking Remagen Bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwRa5V16gZg

Enemy teams spawns a Jumbo sherman to get through. It does not work.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That looks neat and fun as hell

https://youtu.be/UyZoTCH45Fc

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Open World?

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1149460/view/3396303599619852048

It is a new-ish upgrade. You used to have a limited time at each planet.
I've been following ICarus and the open world makes it look good.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
How could they do this to us? The Delta Force trailer shows Mogadishu-style footage and is clearly a homage to it. then right after it starts looking amazing and making me want to buy it, it pivots to some drat lame rear end gently caress future?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egf5LcYgXKc

And why are the drat advertisements about the Mogadishu-part on social media, if that's not the game!? Clearly you guys think that sells better! Wtf?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah Wildlands is way better as a world than Breakpoint.

I don’t know why everything has to be loving space robots and nanobots.

I loved all the gameplay improvements of Breakpoint but I simply could not play in that world.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, Air Goons run DCS World flight sim stuff with various themes. Lately we've been doing Operation Inherent Resolve, with human pilots and JTACs over Syria in 2016, helping Kurds defeat ISIS. There's no air threats, and it's been 9-line CAS and various bombing tasks. Anyway, one goon hosed up and ran out of fuel, crashing his F-16. We've decided to tie that in as Ground Branch operations, offering some FPS-based tactical shooty mans to airplane games. We'd love to have you.

mlmp08 posted:

A couple shots from the other day's mission. Based on what I was doing, I didn't really get any shots of the actual JTAC or CAS stuff.

An F-16 screams off into the morning after takeoff, burning fuel like there is no tomorrow.

1 F-15E conducting combat spread while 2 of them take selfies and call each other "bro" and stuff.

Hornet launch ops from the carrier in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea while another Hornet prepares to depart

Photo taken from a knock-off Samsung by a Flanker pilot who came to remind the Americans that they were operating inside sovereign Syrian airspace.

Morning Hogs

Yooper posted:

Update on Operation Inherent Resolve.

The latest mission involved bombing an ISIS ammo dump, dropping off an axle to Italian SOF, and providing on call CAS for coalition forces. The ammo dump was knocked out, a few ISIS tanks, as well as the CAS targets. This includes a gun run by A-10's on ISIS troops.

Unfortunately Rattler 1-2 had a fuel emergency and crash landed at Minakh helicopter field. Luckily, the British SAS have a team in the area...
We'll be taking a few of the AirGoons who play Ground Branch and they'll be doing a rescue mission to extract the pilot. A bit of meta, but trying to tie the campaign narratively where it makes sense.

Next weekend will be pre-planned strikes. So if you want to participate pop on in!

Vahakyla posted:

Reminder, tomorrow, wednesday 12th, at 2000hrs Eastern Daylight Time we shall play Ground Branch on Air Goons Server, in the campaign tie-in mission that has the British 22 SAS rescue a goon pilot from an earlier DCS mission who was captured by ISIS, and in a mission right after another squadron raids a tanker on the mediterranean that is transporting ISIS weapons.

The SAS troopers preparing in the compound, almost ready for the raid.

You just have to own Ground Branch and join Air Goons Discord and be on time. If this proves popular among Air Goons, and we get a good participation, we'll run more missions that tie into the campaigns in DCS World and carry the story forward or change event outcomes!

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Cyberpunk 2.0 update is pretty incredible. They added in so many of the open world details and mechanics that people were expecting. Imagine if they'd been able to pull this off at release.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/cyberpunk-2077/All_Cyberpunk_2077_2.0_Updates_and_Changes

Yeah this list is insane. The police mechanics are wicked cool. Finally they patrol and bother you on the streets, too.

And I am intrigued by the perk system’s revamp.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What specs you got with it?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Gotcha that’s actually pretty impressive then!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Nah. 4070 from Amazon will rocks your socks off and go only a hair over 500$.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mustang posted:

Oh poo poo, I might have to buy one of those then..... looks like a pretty massive upgrade.

And you can offload your 2080S for like 280$ on Ebay, too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Rockstar promises that GTA 6 trailer will be unveiled in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The The Day Before is out, and apparently it is not at all what it was said to be. I was hoping for it to offer the smoother DayZ version in coop or something. Dunno if it is a scam scam or just a poor early access.