Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
ELEX status: eurojank too strong, but I have 5 hours in so I can't get a refund. Fug.

Guess I'll just have to hope they patch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ded posted:

Um. What the gently caress is eurojank?

It would seem that the term has fallen out of common vernacular!

Eurojank used to be used to describe all of the pitfalls of a small, non-English speaking country developer studio in one word. So you've got your standard small developer problems like "we couldn't afford a proper physics engine" or "we couldn't afford our own music" in combination with that charming aspect of 'oh jesus what language are these crash logs in?!'. For the longest time the eastern europeans were the only ones churning out good RPGs (CDPR for Witcher, Larian for the Divinity series, etc.) so you would have to deal with these things.

In the case of ELEX, it's the absolutely horribly janky combat system in combination with a busted progression system. Right now I'm level 7 and I've done every quest that I can in the first region, gotten the best sword that I can equip along with a full set of armor, and everything still wrecks me even with the first companion. There's a pack of humanoid NPCs right outside my player camp that I get absolutely destroyed by, I've got a quest to destroy 5 raptors that I can't complete even though they're my level, and that's it. The remaining quests are located in areas with a shitload of skull-level mobs that one shot me. If the combat system wasn't so horrible I could probably kite a few things but it's surprisingly difficult. I'm going to try again today maybe but ughhhhhhhh.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I need a new game to play since I struck out with ELEX.

I don't know poo poo about destiny but isn't it an MMO? I don't do MMOs anymore.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Eh, pass then.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I beat the three chosen and stopped playing. I don't like the victory lap.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's been at least several weeks since I last bitched about Steam's intentional lack of filters so I have to browse their garbage dating anime games looking for something new to play. I guess they're not classifying games as "anime" sometimes despite very clearly being that loving garbage so it still shows up sometimes. Goddamn capitalism.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really want to get Shadow of War for 60 bucks and still have to deal with microtransaction garbage in a premium single player game but there's not much else out there :(

I won't have time to play anything tonight anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Avoiding the microshits so far, but there's always the 4-on-1 surprise ambush gangbang when you try to take down a chief. If that doesn't already make you blindingly angry, guess what? They all adapt instantly to your attacks, they're either trolls or shields, at least two are cursed, and when you die you have to track one cocksucker down because he loving broke your sword and the only way to get it back is stabbing him in the face.

i don't know what any of those words mean

i did not play shadow of mordor

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i am incredibly picky about what games i play now and it's insanely annoying

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Come play Dwarf Fortress m'lord

I just burned out on my semi-annual Rimworld binge. Like, 20 minutes ago.

redneck nazgul posted:

There's a difference between cosmetic microtransactions and actual no-poo poo pay-to-win/play.

Path of Exile's transactions, with the exception of stash tabs, is entirely cosmetic and I have no problem throwing a few bucks their way every expansion. Even if my piece of poo poo computer can't handle them, they put out a good game for free and their customer service beats the poo poo out of anything anywhere.

Games like Hearthstone where you can't really compete without throwing down actual paper Magic: The Gathering levels of money are bullshit. Mobile games like Candy Crush where the game is literally designed to screw you into buying things are beyond my vernacular to describe.

PoE has the only microtransaction system that I wholeheartedly approve of. I'm sitting on a hundred dollars of points right now just because I buy the packs when they come out to support GGG. That money goes right into the game, and their customer service is A++++

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Any game where they are pushing monetary transactions for anything, be it pay to win or for a cool penis drawing on your gun that has no effect on other players, is stupid and greedy.

Today it’s just micro transactions for a dick on your guns. If people keep shoveling money at it then it will become paying for your character to be able to shoot his dick gun.

In a lot of cases yes, that's quite true. But in the case of say, GGG who make Path of Exile, it's proven to be a system that works for the developers to have a constant revenue stream without the need for big money publishers. They owe nothing to anybody but their playerbase.

You don't see this kind of system often because if your game is a turd with no staying power, your game is dead and so is your revenue.

edit: what I mean to say is that if you have publisher/AAA backing and you have microtransactions your game is trash and gently caress you for including them in a premium game

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 23, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The hour of Shadow of War that I've played so far seems pretty cool!

I have absolutely no idea what is going on but I'm running around killing dudes with a sword and sometimes a spooky ghost helps???

And for some reason a gigantic spider demon thing turned into a lady and now she has my cock ring.

For a game with a lot of cutscenes they sure as gently caress don't explain anything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am really bad at Shadow of War. I died like four times so far. It's fun as poo poo though, I'm just running around killing captains.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
God drat, Shadow of War has a lot of content. Almost too much content. I'm still barely scratching the surface (level 15 and can't even dominate yet, still in the second zone) but I straight up ignore the lore dump that the artifacts and stuff give.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Remember that this is getting into AAA gaming prime time season. All your cool poo poo comes out starting mid/late october until mid/late december. Then it's a loving wasteland for Q1.

I'm gonna play Shadow of War probably for the rest of the month at least before I move on, if not longer. I'll punch Nazis soon.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

I took ages to get dominate as well, but in hindsight it might be better to rush through the story to get dominate and that way you can dominate captains when you’re loving around instead of killing them?

Yeah that's what I did. I didn't realize that it was a few story quests away so I just went and did them. Now I'm going to 100% the forest map before moving on because reasons.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

cowboy elvis posted:

Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen is 12 bucks in green man gaming for PS4.

It's a really good RPG. I paid like 40 bucks for it last year and I regret nothing.

edit: I'm down to the last kingdom in Shadow of War, still technically in Act 2 I think? I don't recall there being anything saying I was in Act 3. I'm level 33. I got the achievement for bringing a grunt up to overlord completely unintentionally. I was fighting a really lovely warchief, ran up a wall to a ledge to get a stealth kill (that would refill my health fully) and a random goober smacked me and killed me, getting promoted to captain/epic. I then went out to kill him, and got ambushed by a goddamn dragon at the absolute worst time, using up a last chance; this caused the captain to enrage and then kill me a second time, becoming a warchief/legendary. I then got turbo pissed and found him then intentionally brutal executed him, cleaving him in two. I'm out sieging the castle and surprise surprise, this fukkin orc comes back with the new title "The Machine". So this time around I dominated him and let him rule the kingdom. He's earned it.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 29, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
bruz why

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm bored with Shadow of War, I got to A3 and went 'meh'. It's very fun until that point but I just lost interest after uh...32 hours. I need to find something entertaining until the 10th, when the next Path of Exile race starts.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still playing Shadow of War. Turns out that you get gold coins for doing some challenges for the first time ever, so I had enough to get a box and some XP boosts. Now I can do shadow wars and get a level and a quarter each. I'm 50 now, and I'm going to fighting pit / recruit all level 50s for my kingdoms before I finish up shadow wars. I'm busy as gently caress this week so getting a new game didn't make sense, as several 10-day Path of Exile races start on Friday.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I never got into dark souls.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ever since BF4 it's been easier and easier to just not get EA games. I skipped getting the last Mass Effect, and I goddamn loved the original trilogy. I regret nothing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
would also require physical media and a burner, something that most turbonerds haven't had for a decade at this point

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got 1000/1000 achievements for ME/1/2/3 so yeah same. At least for ME1, those 'play the majority of the story quests with x character' were a loving bastard.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was Wrex/Garrus for ME1, then Grunt/Garrus and Miranda/Garrus for ME2. I think for 3 I was that prothean + garrus. I only did like 1.5 playthroughs of ME3 and did none of the DLC.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I remain confident that GGG's Path of Exile microtransaction system is the only F2P/freemium system that isn't horrible.

edit: for those unfamilar

Path of Exile is 100% free in that the entire game, every class, every aspect is always available and there's no boosts, loot boxes, auction house, or item shop. You have 24 character slots (thats A LOT, I just hit my cap because I'm lazy with deleting old characters and I've been playing for 4+ years) and there's literally nothing you can't do. You start with 6 stash tabs that are account/league-wide that are unrenamable and are simply labeled 1-6, they store all item types. What they sell are:

Additional character spots (how the gently caress does anybody need this, ever?)
Alternate skill effects (want your fireball spell to be cool dragons instead of, well, a fireball? 3 dollars and you have it forever and only need one)
Armor/weapon skins; sometimes sold as part of a set (including a discount for buying the whole set) or just one-off items. They are applied over whatever equipment you have.
Stash tabs. You can buy more of the default stash tabs, you can buy premium tabs that you can move, rename, change color, and have you items listed on the trade API (this is a big one, but 6 tabs costs like 6 dollars) and you can buy things like the currency stash tab which stores more currency and has dedicated spots for them.
Pets/other misc. cosmetic effects

Their primary moneymakers are stash tabs and "Supporter Packs" which are packs that cost anywhere from 30-450 dollars and rotate every 3 months . These supporter packs come with roughly 90% of the value in store points, plus a limited edition armor skin set. So for 60 bucks you get like 55 bucks in points, a full set of a themed cosmetic armor skin, a forums title and sometimes physical goods like a t-shirt if you want it, otherwise they give more points. During the 3 month pack rotation, any and all purchases you make are totaled up and you can upgrade your pack for whatever the difference is. For example this league I got the 160 dollar pack, then bought some other poo poo, and upgrading to the 240 dollar pack cost me like 30 bucks or something.

There are a considerable amount of people that have played for years and years and spent either no money at all, or maybe 5-10 bucks on some premium stash tabs and a currency tab and that's it.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 15, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

i have an idea for the worst microtransaction system ever

PUBG but released for free

every game costs 25 cents

your account is billed every 30 days

hello visa prepaid cards

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

games as a service is gonna become a lot more common in the future. the big studios are employing hundreds of people who work for 1-2 years making each big release. average production budgets are about 60 million. that means to break even, they have to sell 1 million copies at full price. thats not even taking into account advertising budgets, which are often bigger than the dev budget. adjust for inflation, and games are the cheapest theyve ever been

so its either pay 60 bucks and deal with micro transactions, or prepare for an across the board price increase. im not condoning lovely stuff like the battlefront situation, where its clearly a pay to win thing in an mp title, but its a market reality, and the best way to let the publishers know its not ok is to not buy games with that kind of poo poo in them

The big thing that I see are cutting the publishers out via kickstarter/supporter packs. Your average development team gets like, what was it, 12%? of a 60 dollar game. You need to sell a lot less copies when you're getting 70% of the cost (because of the 30% gaben tithe)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The secret to Act 4 is using the ingame currency you get one time only to buy XP boosts, and saving them all until when you get to Act 4. Then you get all your kingdom's troops up as high as you can via the fighting pits (should be around level 47-48) and start the shadow war events with the boost running. After the second round of shadow war, every successful defense should net you 1.5 levels with the boost. When your boost runs out, get your troops leveled back up and repeat. I got to wave 8 and was level 59, but lost interest in finishing it.

It's a very fun game!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a 360 controller for games that are better with one and it's the best.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I should get back into PUBG. I haven't played it since late July.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I see DLC as largely a problem of AAA/big studio games. Like sure, it exists for smaller companies ("AA") games or full on indie games but it's not nearly as outlandish.

I am 100% ok with mini-expansion packs or other similar things for DLC. Outright cutting game content out to sell later is loving scummy though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really want to sound like a gaming hipster and/or greybeard, but I buy very few AAA/big studio games these days it seems. I've completely lost interest in the CoD games since whatever modern warfare had the airport level. I guess uh...the first titanfall was my last AAA multiplayer game? Maybe? I don't remember. Getting Shadow of War apparently breaks this streak I've been running for years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Battlefield (I can only speak for 3+4) also did it basically as expansion packs. You got 1-2 weapons, 0-2 vehicles, and 4-6 maps on a quarterly (?) basis. That's not really all that bad, all things considered.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I bought Endless Space 2 since it was on sale.

It's too goddamn complicated, even for a 4X. Like gently caress me guys, it looks great but tone down the UI a bit. I played it for 15 minutes on THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS and every time I was like '...nah'

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Downloading ES2 as I type this since it's free for this weekend. I really liked Endless Legend, is it even more obtuse than that?

I didn't play Endless Legend, so I can't comment on it directly. But compared to other, recent 4X games I've played (Stellaris, Civ V) it's like insanely more complicated. And I'm not sure that it's a good thing or not, just the fact that on several different attempts I've decided I don't want to play something that complicated.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CDPR is an anomaly in the system

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

Yea it's the fact that it splits the playerbase that is the issue. I don't believe BF3/4 ever got the option to mix and match DLC map packs either. Both those games, and BF1, were/are going strong and I actually didn't mind buying new maps and weapons, it just sucked that the playerbase gets divided. On less popular games that can definitely hurt you in the long term

Completely legitimate issue, rooted I think in the fact that gamers are largely either cheap or poor (or both) and that DLC tends to come out on cycles that aren't attributed to increased disposable income (christmas, tax returns)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
bored enough to hop back into pubg i think

gently caress, mein reflexes

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I played MGS 1 and Revengeance. I lost my poo poo when a giant, flaming whale took out a goddamn helicopter in the first ten minutes of the game. Then I played it for 120 more hours and it was really great and nothing like that at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i am getting the stellaris dlc

everything else is either garbage or i already have it

first world problems