Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Now that I'm out of school I'm finally considering getting the FF7 Remake. From 1 to Civ, how bad is the suck your life away factor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I think ops management tuned up my sperg because I've been dicking around with Production Line for a while now. I just don't do the fantasy stuff anymore, lost my flavor for it.

I might start a new Stardew farm. I've got one in Year 5 with max everything and there's not much else to do until a new patch comes.

I guess there's always Civ 6, I've held off that beast for a few years but now is as good a time as any to tie off and shoot it up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wasn't GIP putting some of its villains in that Prison Architect game?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Anybody play Battletech (the turn-based one)? I put it on the Steam watchlist with Stellaris.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Rat posted:

Yeah I've played through it 4 or 5 times and it's loving amazing, everything my 13-year old self wanted. The campaign mode is a little ho-hum, but the career mode is great and that's what most of my games have been on.

It goes on sale on Greenmangaming sometimes too, so keep an eye out there in addition to Steam.

Man you weren't kidding. I've noticed tons of great little game design bits in it. Really a fantastic job of adapting the tabletop without just making it a straight port.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Tripped over another video of the Aerith voice actress experiencing another scene in the game for the first time, and I tear up every loving time.
Outside of seeing her genuinely endearing reaction, I'm starting to notice myself that it really is the music that drives it home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7HuoocDkok

Now show her the one scene everyone remembers.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ok I finished the campaign that Battletech game loving rocks, gonna spend my weekend on all the expansion packs.

It's not just the nerdgasm of teenage Hagetaka (eh, eh? See where the name came from?) playing the best version of tabletop I've ever seen. It's the little design stuff that seemingly every game gets wrong. When your last unit makes its move, you don't have to hit OK to finish your turn. When you're plotting your movement, different colored lines point from the hex you're thinking of going to, to the enemy units that can see you, the ones that you can see, and the ones that you can fire at. God, it's so well designed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have never played X-Com. I think the last game even like it that I played was Syndicate Wars.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

realtalk

post your top 5 dos games

i wanna see some weird ones lets go

Drug Dealer
Wing Commander
Carmageddon
Bard's Tale
Ultima VI

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm just gonna add to DOS chat that there was this game called police quest that I never figured out how to get beyond the first 15 minutes or so of

That was always the most garbage of Sierra Online’s games. I think the third one was cobranded with Darryl Gates, even

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sierra made such good early games but was such a poorly run company. The way they made money on those titles they should be up to Leisure Suit Larry 38 and Hero's Quest Volume 47 by now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure I already said Wing Commander

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The greatest video game manual ever published

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I pretty much maxed out everything in Battletech, so I downloaded the 3025 Extended mod, which basically packs the whole nerdy grognard timeline and encyclopedia of Mechs and vehicles into it.

Unfortunately, they also turned the stupid up. Run a light lance on a 1.5 skull difficulty mission, start off against two medium lances. loving retarded.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Rat posted:

Have you been rolling in career mode, or the campaign? Cause man I could replay career mode so much. That final mission in the Heavy Metal DLC is so great.

I ran campaign through the vanilla game figured with 4 Bull Sharks and a hold full of lostech the game was over, then went to career in the 3025 mod.

If the mission difficulty were tuned better, it'd be nice, but it's still a fantastic loving mod. I've had more fun struggling to run Wasps and Stingers and (thank god) a salvaged Phoenix Hawk than I did the last week of "Steiner scout lances".

GD_American fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 16, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

I think it's safe to say that Super Mega Baseball 3 is the only baseball game I've ever actually enjoyed playing, and it's because of moments like this:

It's retro gaming at this point but Super Baseball 2020 (which....huh, I never noticed the date until just now typing it) is infinitely replayable

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I won 85 bucks off some dudes at the original MvC at 5 bucks a game, then they jumped me outside to get it back.

They only took the 85 and left me my original 20 bucks though. I always thought that was a nice gesture.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I'll buy a PS5 solely for the sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn.

oooh poo poo is that a launch title? I'll be on that. Love me some Aloy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's not remotely surprising considering how long they're taking to release any info on GTA6.

Info?

I doubt they've even started work on it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just remembered my experience buying a Day Zero original Playstation and, uh, think I'll wait

Actually the buying was fine, the nursemaiding the loving laser in that thing tho

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

countries full of nerds that hate freedom to pick whatever the gently caress they want for time without the man telling them

I had trouble adjusting to European dates (dd/mm/yy) and was being a usual American butthead about it until a German very kindly explained to me that when telling someone the date, it's far more likely that the day is the more important piece of information and thus it's put first. Now I'm the usual "American who has travelled" butthead and wondering why we do it wrong

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

hardspace shipbreakers is fun and thanks to whoever was speaking about it yesterday.

also i named myself after an Puerto Rican abolisionist and appended the ISWW (international space workers of the world) because imma unionize the space scrappers

ooohhh I forgot I got the email about this and need to get it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

holy gently caress this shipbreaking game is incredible

if it added store brand menthols and coworkers trying to make each other cry I'd feel like I was back in the shipyard

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Woofer posted:

THPS on the Dreamcast is probably the best “turn your brain off for several hours” game I’ve ever played in my life.

I’m not sure of a better stoner game.

Nights into Dreams on Sega Saturn, though admittedly is much more of a get-hosed-up-and-be-entranced game

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I love that the theme behind the game is "ever meet a shipfitter? Imagine what'd go wrong if we gave them a jetpack and a laser torch"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

not caring here posted:

Someone give me the too long didn't read summary of horizon zero dawn, I have no consoles so basically ignore anything about console exclusives.

don't google the story, there's a pretty big turn in it

The voice talent is top notch*, despite being mostly no-names. Lance Reddick being the notable exception

*that one loving woman commander of Aloy's tribe aside

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Fallom posted:

I have a really big issue with a lot of apocalypse fiction for this reason. Human history is full of misery and they’re not wrong to point out how venal and vicious we are, but we made tribes and civilizations with nothing guiding us but ourselves. It seems really shallow to endlessly dig into how people are bad to each other without really exploring anything else.

Most zombie fiction is like this because 95% of the genre is, at its core, tough guy survivalist wish fulfillment

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm really tempted to grab death stranding but I just got into Battletech and I think I'm hooked on that for now. I'm terrible at it though

Same. I installed 3025 extended and had the bright idea to take a unit all the way from 3025 to the Clans.

You know what takes a long time in a game? 24 loving years

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I genuinely envy anyone playing HZD for the first time, that was just an amazing game and the most fun I've had in a game in years.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Going to be funny seeing all the GIP gently caress TED FARO posts

It sucks how they went cheap and just used the same VA for multiple female characters

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I like the idea for people like me who don't follow specs enough to know what GXR4735cy Red Tango card to put in their built PC, but want more power than they're getting from their laptop.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Anyone into Ace Combat, they cranked up the DLC machine again after the insane response to the 3 DLC missions. No missions this time around, but more of the superplanes from previous games, and a bunch of skins and other poo poo to weeb about.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I sometimes feel like I'm a dead-end evolutionary branch of humanity (or at least goonhood) because I have never, ever gotten Kojima, and I gave up a few Metal Gear games in because the dumb and weird overwhelmed the good and fun.

It's like when everyone else I knew acted like Carlos Mencia was the greatest comedian alive, and I just figured I was missing a gland or something

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I can but only for the really special ones. I put the PS5 on the christmas list just for HZD 2. I've started farting around again in the first one, but just killing robo-dinos here and there. I can't dive into the story again.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I feel like there's a business opportunity there for someone to cater to ultra-wealthy people who crave simplicity by throwing all these game systems in one case

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TCD posted:

Like a full size EATX type case with an internal KVM that switches between a PC, Xbox X and PS5?

I recognize some of those words

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've never played Mass Effect. Is it worth jumping into a whole collection?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Depends. Do you like space magic?

I'm a big whore for any scifi that isn't just repackaged fantasy tropes so.....depends?

Eej posted:

You ever wished you could play Star Control 2 exploration with Star Control 3's plot with Gears of War conveniently placed hip level objects to hide behind but also you're a Jedi wizard so you can float enemies into mid air and then use your maximum knockback modded shotgun that overheats in one shot and send enemies flying over the horizon but the game doesn't do physics damage so they get back up and spend like 2 minutes running back to you?

I miss ME1

Not to become a gimmick, but I haven't played any of those games either

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That sounds extremely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you're going to make another HZD run before the sequel comes out like I did, there's something pretty cool if you finish the DLC storyline before you get super-deep into the main storyline. Way more dialogue changes than you'd expect when you really start to learn some of the major relevations about Hades and Gaia, from Sylens and you. Much of tying into what the characters had already learned about Hephaestus and CYAN.