Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

orange juche posted:

The combat is fun

That’s good enough for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

which was a fantastic game

That’s reassuring.

I never played 7, but I got into 8 in a big way back in like 2000 (?) so I’ll happily play it on PS4 when it comes out

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

king anime would be a good username

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

colachute posted:

Witcher 3 is probably the gold standard for open world games and that’s a big game to put on the switch.

They announced that its coming to Switch. No idea when or if it’ll have the expansions, but I don’t think I’ll buy it a fourth time.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

pkells posted:

I picked up Hollow Knight on the Switch during this sale. I don’t know anything about it, other than the reviews have been excellent. I’ve only got maybe an hour into it, but does it get better? It just feels like a basic 2D side scroller. I’ll keep going, but I’ve got a feeling it’s just adored by that indie loving crowd.

I liked it because the game doesn’t tell you anything. Not where to go, not how to get there. Everything is achieved by exploring.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

lol fuckin dusted

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Is the new final fantasy good?

I saw an ad with Hannibal buress and the kid who played Spider-Man and it looked decent

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Oh so it’s an expansion to an already existing game and not a whole new game?

Do they usually hype expansions like this?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

That looks dope as hell.

I’ll check out the vids on youtube.

Thanks for the info.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Please, I'm older and wiser now. Condom catheter running to a CamelBak strapped to my leg. I can game for 12 hours straight

Pro tier setup

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

just went looking for FF on my PS4 before realising it was PC only

time to dust off the ole PC

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ffxiv? its on ps4 too

oh drat

Thanks man. Just bought the $18 dollar version with 30 days play time to check it out.

so I don’t need to buy any expansions until late/end game?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also to cash in on parents buying two copies of pokemon a month after it comes out

hence the two-pack they announced at e3

I bought each of the pokemons that came out on Switch for my nephews (pikachu and evie) and they just play Fortnite in it

KirbyKhan posted:

Fuckin WoW classic is releasing next month. All of the nostalgia barrages have finally hit my core....

My Molten Core.

Oh poo poo. Is this a Blizzard or fan released thing?!

I played 06-09 on and off. Only ever got half way though the WotLK raid but gently caress me if that wasn’t some fun and challenging poo poo

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/1148938228159827968?s=21

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

New Wolfenstein is fun.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Does that mean DPS are the guys to claim they have footlongs and then premature ejaculate?

jacking off in the corner

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol bunch of olds that don't know how to counter a blue shel

how the gently caress do you counter a blue shell?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the soundbox item blocks it if you time it right

oh drat, i thought it was a guaranteed hit

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Boosts are the pro way to dodge

like the power slide? mushrooms? for the blue shell dodge?

god drat I’m learning so much

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Fallom posted:

The internet is busy trying to turn Epic vs. Steam into anti-GamerGate vs. GamerGate so that’s a real fuckin fun blast from the past

jfc gamers are the worst type of people

if someone self identifies as a gamer they should be put in prison imo

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

McNally posted:

BIG TITTY ADVENTURE VIII was nowhere as good as IV or VI.

Disagree

The junction system with the magic added a lot of depth to the gameplay

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

I remember playing through TIE FIGHTER as a kid with the cheat for invincibility.

Was the game actually winnable without it? Seems like you’d just get murdered within seconds without it. I could never figure out how to fly and not get murdered immediately.

yeah yeah git gud etc

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

The real challenge of the game was time management and, to a lesser extent, ordnance management.

Turbolasers don't have much range, and the enemy AI gunners only do a constant line lead, so jinking on the way to a target made the enemy essentially incapable of hitting you. Missiles required constant maneuver to evade (or just shoot them), but you could essentially fly in a mass of enemy fire and never get hit if you constantly changed direction. That just meant if you didn't defang them by killing enemies, knocking turrets out, etc, you'd eventually be so swarmed that you basically couldn't straighten out for more than a fraction of a second to fire at a target or scan something or the like.

On missions without time limits, to run the score up, this meant a single TIE fighter could eventually knock out capital ships and such if you were exceptionally patient just to run up the score and get more tats.

dude that rules so much. just a lil TIE plinking away so your guy gets more purple ink

what’s jinking?

Steezo posted:

The targeting system was also incredibly robust, with sub system targeting in a display that oriented to you, making it easy to tell if you had angle on that cannon, launcher, engine or whatever from where you were. The minefield missions are good practice for figuring out your current craft and the targeting system. Until you get the missle-boat, then slam overdrive everywhere.

You could deal with the swarming by distancing yourself from capitol ships and popping the fast bastards first since one wing of fighters is bound to try and follow you. One hundred percenting missions in that usually involves a lot of cat and mouse, and scanning everything before it runs away. You can't always kill all of your targets but the secret order appreciates you tagging everything.

so it’s pretty much just about staying at maximum range all the time? that sounds very time consuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

I never played XWA but those levels sounds like a lot of fun.

Disney would make so much money out of a Star Wars original trilogy era star fighter game.

I would buy something like that so quickly, whether it was like TIE Fighter or Rogue Squadron. Very different games but both were fun and good.