Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
RE4 is really weird in that the best version is actually on the Wii due to the controls. Something about shaking a remote and hearing the clicks of a reload just made all the difference, outside of the better aim with the remote.

Beat it twice on the Gamecube and twice more on the Wii. Good game, hilarious characters that you'll be quoting for some time.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Everything you need to know about Doom 4 is that in doomguy's first encounter with the shotgun, he racks in a round in tempo at the end of a heavy metal stinger.

tbh doomguy was a more entertaining character in that game than most speaking characters

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm playing the remastered Homeworld games and I find it hard to believe that I actually completed these games back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I must have been some sort of tactical tier 1 operator back then because some of these missions are brutally difficult.

Gearbox Homeworld 1 now uses the Homeworld 2 system, so if you go about capturing every drat thing like before, the game scales up the enemy fleets to a near-impossible level. Old Homeworld 1 had a set spawn of enemies and that was it, and the cap was soft so you could capture your way around it, while Homeworld 2 had a hard fleet cap that you couldn't get around.

So if you're getting trashed in the new Homeworld 1, it actually pays to suck more and play it like Homeworld 2.

Still, I could only beat the original homeworlds with guides, those were some brutal games.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress I forgot about EVE scams. I always had too much of a heart to do them, so I preferred blowing people instead.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 24, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Took me a while :toot:

Exotic dancers for all!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Have they fixed all the animations of ME:A yet, or are they still patching more of that poo poo out?

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 11, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The best mission in Far Cry 3 was Blood Dragon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
bored game for casuals

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

FTL is being a dick :mad:

On my first FTL run (on easy), I somehow stumbled all of the way to the flagship somehow and got obliterated because I didn't know a goddamn thing. I don't think I got even close during the next ten runs.

Once you get a few runs going, you can sort of figure out what you need to get along the way to be successful in the flagship battle (usually 3/6 of max shields, max engines, anti-missile drones, boarding, cloaking, and 7-8 points of offensive damage).

Really though, the most fun I had in FTL was going through the challenges to unlock all of the ships while just listening to the music. The soundtrack is really, really goddamn good.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Missionary Positron posted:

My computer does this weird thing where if it's turned off for a day or more, it'll BSOD repeteadly on the first boot. The problem fixes itself and the system becomes rock stable if you turn the power off and on.

:pcgaming: PC GAMING :pcgaming:

My very first computer build would BSOD on a cold boot, restart itself, then be completely fine. Not *quite* your issue, but my problem turned out to be a lovely memory stick, so try running MemTest stuff on a cold boot to see if that flags errors. Worth ruling it out!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Missionary Positron posted:

I tried the new Wolfenstein and... I kinda didn't like it. I get that the main character is supposed to be frail and all, but being cut down in a fraction of a second just because you made one tiny error doesn't really lend itself to good gameplay.

All of this sucks because the story parts seem cool and good.

Turn down the difficulty. Wolfenstein II's difficulty settings are way harder than they initially appear, to the detriment of the game.

Seriously, turn the difficulty way down from where you have it now. When you feel like an unstoppable Nazi-killing machine, but still die when you really gently caress up, you've got it on the right difficulty. If you get punished by death on smaller fuckups, you have the difficulty set too high.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Speaking of XCOM 2, and since it's on sale, is it worth the 20 bucks, and should I grab the Digital Deluxe Edition for 4 extra bucks?
The steam store has zero information on what the DDE even includes, and googling reveals some jibberjabber about season pass and dlc poo poo that makes sense to Steam nerds, but none to me

/edit:
gently caress it, four extra bucks for what looks to be an entire new class, new missions, and customization options for soldiers sounds fair enough

The Alien Hunters addition is a really neat thing for the whole run, the Shen's Last Gift mission is really long and good, and the customizations are a nice bonus.

If you end up liking it, do a full run or two of XCOM 2, then get War of the Chosen. WotC is sort of like XCOM 1's Enemy Within, but even more in-depth with even more poo poo to do.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Christ, this game.

Be sure to adjust the voice setting of the SPARK unit that you have now, there's an Easter egg / mini-cutscene that you'll enjoy. It's in the same place where you'd play dolly dressup with your regular soldiers (colors, nationalities, etc).

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Reapers are honestly almost game breaking in how they give you so many options.

On a Chosen stronghold mission, I took a reaper as a just-in-case sorta thing. In the early part, I remote-started a forklift and killed four Advent while cackling hysterically. Always made a point to bring a Reaper whenever possible.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mods change my name posted:

They made telling people to press alt f4 for third person mode a ban afaik

ALT+F4 WOWEE

MWO was the weird game that got worse as it developed. Closed Beta great, Open Beta ehhh, Full Release Wait What is MWO Again? Oh yeah, it was that lovely game with nothing but lurm boats and snipers, that was good once.

To talk about a positive game: Into the Breach. It's the FTL guys' second game and it's drat loving good. Sort of like a small reverse-XCOM.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
$2,664.60 / $1,445.24

Also, big thanks to the people that recommended Overload. That game is absolutely Descent 4 and it loving rules.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm down for some murder, resisting arrest, and conspiracy.

I mean, I'm kind of concerned that it's going to be $30 and "open-ended" or some poo poo but hey look Nazis to kill BUYBUYBUY

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/darth/status/1178862928092487680

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Steezo posted:

That is such a goddamn good game, especially if you like Twin Peaks, or have ever worked for the government.

What's wild is how Remedy Games, a Finnish company, absolutely loving nailed the American government bureaucracy. I'm convinced that they had someone on staff that worked for the Feds at some point. Should be interesting when they make Control 4 Dead or whatever the hell they're cooking up.

Oh, and play all the DLC.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Carteret posted:

This is amazing to hear. I've been wanting to jump back into it but this seals the deal

The gameplay/mechanics always drove it quite well, but the plot they put in (I played the first two acts) really makes the whole drat thing tick. Going to have to really decide if my main playthrough will be with the 15-minute time limit or unlimited, I'm just terrible at going fast.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Started playing Hades again. If there’s a better written game that incentivizes talking to every character, I haven’t found it.

Bastion had me wishing I could just meet new characters forever due to the voice acting / music. Now they made it so they give you poo poo too, really rules.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If y'all need something different and liked Stanley Parable, could I interest you in more Stanley Parable?

https://twitter.com/crowsx3/status/1519346570466111490?t=16a7eTvbthybvZFaX0eMng&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Officially time for the union drive.

https://twitter.com/Focus_entmt/status/1529146288230391808?t=dzJzif_BcqHEqkWhrskZkA&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
My favorite thing so far is that I had 40 hours in the game, figured HEY I'M GOOD AT THIS GAME LET'S GO FAST, and literally died in training as I bashed something into my head. Died another two times, then a third I had my helmet completely crack (as I was grappling to the Master Jack I based one of the tank busters) and bought the repair item just in time.

I've also yet to figure out depressurization safely on anything. A+

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I've really yet to figure out venting, so for a lol I took a level 8 mackerel and decided to vent it by putting a demo charge underneath the bottom. My brain said that if there was explosive decompression, it would all blow out the bottom and into the barge.

... the ENTIRE ship physically moved into the barge. The whole loving thing, at once, in one unexploded heap, barged itself. Sadly none of it counted unless I went physically into the solid-red fps-killing ship and pulled things out one by one. I decided to cover the thing in charges to get what I could, detonated, and that was that :v:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Into the Breach basically makes you feel like a genius when you nail a map "correctly" and the game removes a lot of the time pressure that FTL had. And it's still challenging, it shocked me how much gameplay they could pack into an 8x8 playing surface. Final level's always nuts.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah the Selaco demo was really good and I probably would've liked it more if I played it down a difficulty level - likely worth remembering for the future.

That demo made me pick up Prodeus, which looks/feels Quake-yer and much more heavy metal. Probably worth checking out if you want more stuff like Selaco.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yo, get a fuckload of free games on Prime Day, especially if you're willing to deal with Origin.

https://twitter.com/WirecutterDeals/status/1546858189303472130?t=G0k6BCVdZRRosiLP5rE_Ng&s=19

Mass Effect legendary, Grid Legends, Need for Speed Heat, some old Star Wars games, etc.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
if the murder and iranian exfiltration thing ends up checking out, that motherfucker is going right into the CE thread

... yes somehow there's something about murder and some random loving iranian thing somehow involved on the edges of goonfleet/eve poo poo, the depths of depravity being revealed is something else

you can probably skip the longfuck posts, you'll know the good (read: bad) once if they caught a perma or lots of emptyquotes

Into the Breach: Enhanced Edition on Tuesday!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Into the Breach is so loving good, I happened to have a few coins to unlock one of the new mech packs (there are five!!!!) and two hours immediately disappeared. I don't know what the gently caress happened.

Also, I had an earworm of a song stuck in my head this week and I would've bet money it was from Battletech. Nope, brain subconsciously knew it was time for the Breach soundtrack.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I generally didn't use the right/left hand-grab function much, but I used the gently caress out of the suit's brake function. Don't need to hold something to keep stable if you're always stable with the brake on! :eng101:

This may not be useful if you don't have a mouse with a ring finger button you can set as the brake.

Edit for below response: holy crap that's a bad default combination for the brake considering how much I hammered it for precise cuts

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 22, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Prodeus verdict: A+

Two recommendations. First, prioritize unlocking the Quad Shotgun with the Ores you find. Second, once you're done with the (excellent) campaign, play through the user-created maps. Any of the contest winners, hot picks, and highly-rated maps are excellent standalone maps rivaling some of the campaign maps.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CainFortea posted:

Play mooncrash!

It's a really, really fuckin good DLC.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mustang posted:

Jesus, almost 2 weeks and no talk of gaming. Are we just getting old as balls?

Next up is Mario Rabbids XCOM 2, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Detoured to Cult of the Lamb (EXCELLENT base builder / dungeon crawler which y'all should get), but I'm still working through Freespace 2 fan-made campaigns that I seemed to have missed a few years ago. Having a blast with probably my fourth run of the best space game ever made, but about 7-10 campaigns I've never touched or simply don't remember.

Toying around with the idea of a mini-effortpost on how to set all the poo poo up, since I had to trial-and-error some stuff as some of the campaigns are years old by now and don't react well to the updates. Would y'all be interested? Caveat: I'm a joysticker :v:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Legit can’t wait to play it. The original DS was awesome, DS2 was perfection and even DS3 was pretty fun and I still have a winter tradition of playing it when we get my region’s first snowfall of winter.

I would still like to have a word with the writer that decided what DS3 really needed was a love triangle subplot. All the more irritating because DS3 had an absolute banger of an intro sequence and later revisit of the area. And the complaints of the creators making it more of an action game because of the guns were pretty bullshit, but hoo boy that subplot.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I sorta tried to block out how immersion-breaking the ELLIETITTIES moment was in DS3. That whole character deevolution and the triangle put that on the same level as the Mass Effect 3 ending in my head.

And in terms of the Marker Mindfuck, if you haven't played the Wii game Extraction, watch a runthrough and especially the first chapter. Weirdly worked as an on-rails shooter and pretty hilarious considering all of the other kid-friendly games on the Wii around that time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Oh man, sure sounding like Remedy is going to Twin Peaks: The Return the gently caress out of Alan Wake II. Similar development timeframes too.

https://twitter.com/yourpalclay/status/1620890269506998272?t=DiF-XgK7kDBxMRRiB_Ee2w&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im just surprised since playstation developed games ported to PC have come so far. Death Stranding's PC port was excellent, on the level of MGSV. God of War and HZD both seem to have gotten the same level of attention too, so hearing bad impressions off the bat was surprising.

I may have rose-colored glasses due to how good I think Returnal is as a game, but it's absolutely loving beautiful on PC with medium raytracing settings and a bit of DLSS. Granted that I'm on a 3090 with a 2K monitor, but the game only rarely sputters away from a consistent 90-144 FPS. I was really surprised how much obvious graphical effort they put into the port, or maybe the PS5 version really did give them a good baseline to start from.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Say goodbye to your 2023!

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1656641093298016257?t=3DBU9rEVooWwOLdvD6tJ4w&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A good sign that it's a once-in-a-generation kind of game is all the gamedev-adjacent people trying to figure out just how they built the loving thing. The running theory is that the development team hasn't changed much, if at all, year-over-year.

So they can quickly figure out how to develop on top of an old map, tack on an engine for creating clusterfuck abortion deathtraps, and polish the hell out of it. Simply not possible in other modern game studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Dang I'm most of the way through botw right now, but maybe I should just ditch it and jump into totk instead

I'd say try and fast-finish it without doing all the 100% collectible-type stuff. I remember a lot of the late game stuff being worth it.

But I was a gigantic plot sucker and really, really, really liked the Hyrule Warriors game based on BOTW too if you can hold off longer on Tears. Wasn't expecting Age of Calamity to plot-grab me like it did.