Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snowman_McK posted:

Thus far, the first season has played out like a Star Trek knock off (or, at least, the cliche of Star Trek) where, in a limitless universe, they keep finding planets full of humans who are exactly like an ancient civilisation on earth. I don't mind, since the cast chemistry is fantastic. I was just curious as to whether it changed tack or not.

It doesn't really change, it's just that unlike a lot of shows of that type they tend to remember what happened in previous episodes so the universe actually builds and changes. They develop something cool in one episode and then keep it around and there'll be background chatter about mass producing it, or "why can't we ask X for help" gets answered with "they're still recovering from that thing that happened three episodes ago." That on top of the great character chemistry is what endears it to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend liked APB, but I for the life of me could not follow the plot for an entire episode. I'd be watching the whole time, but it's like my brain would do that 'you have my undivided attention' *cartoony barn animals dancing* Simpsons gag about five minutes in. The only shame is that I'm always happy to see Ernie Hudson getting work.

I was hoping for a Person of Interest-style swerve. That premise could do fantastically interesting things with a swerve. Not like PoI's "the system becomes sentient" or anything but exploring what happens when the specialized tech gets into the hands of less competent departments or actively misappropriated, the main character realizing that he can't just sweep in and fix everything with good intentions, money, and an ego the size of New York. But at least for the couple of episodes I was willing to watch they didn't swerve or even hint at a swerve. It was Robocop from the corp's perspective without a a bit of irony or self-awareness.

The point of a swerve is to establish the "status quo" first so maybe I backed off too soon. Or maybe I was just hungry for another smart procedural after PoI went off the air and was giving the premise too much credit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mulva posted:

It was this.

A guy can dream.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

X-O posted:

Even though Frequency was cancelled and managed to wrap up well CW just put up an epilogue they shot that wraps it up even more.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/frequency/frequency-epilogue/?play=ce83ea5c-072c-41dc-b46c-32da7be429e3

That's pretty sweet.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

My whole family enjoyed The Crown, I haven't seen any of those others.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Man, Christopher Lloyd got OLD.

He played a doddering senile guy in Going in Style and I spent the whole movie kinda sadly wincing when he was on screen. He's one of those guys who looked old when he was still pretty young, and hasn't stopped aging.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I am super sick of the Ghostbusters theme song.

Heresy!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cael posted:

Along these lines (and after watching Leftovers last night), what TV moments have made everyone bawl like a baby (or if you prefer THE ROOM WAS REALLY DUSTY THAT NIGHT)? Six Feet Under series finale is a given, season 1 finale of Leftovers for me when that loving dog walked onto the screen, and the ending of Lost's "The Constant" are what I'll always hold with me.

The day after my cat died, an episode of Mom aired where the husband/father died and it was this mix of dark humor and "gently caress it" and catharsis and it was just exactly what I needed right then.

I know I've cried other times at shows both for legit reasons and non (I tend to get hooked on the emotional beats even if it's done badly, that's just the kind of viewer I am), but that's the one that comes to mind for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How do you make a live-action Cowboy Bebop that steps far enough away from the anime stylings to feel worthwhile without just being Firefly?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I like the British version of Wallander. Kenneth Branagh plays a depressed swedish detective and life shits on him in every single episode. It's like Sherlock in how each season is 3x90 minute movies. Tom Hiddleston plays a detective in the first season.

It is integral for a detective serial that the main character has some shtick. Sometimes the guy's a scatterbrain, sometimes they're a jerk, sometimes they're corrupt and solving the crime just happens to align with what gets him kickbacks. Wallander's thing is that he CARES. SO. MUCH. Expect lots of tortured staring out at the moors or whatever the Swedish equivalent is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

What's Midsomer Murder's gimmick?

Sheer body count. It's not so much a whodunnit as a who's left.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What show is this? Sounds awesome.

Uh... something I saw on PBS Mystery years ago, set in Italy I think. Stuck in my head as an example because it was at the same time I saw Wallander. Let me do some digging, see if I can turn up a name.

EDIT: well, that was easier than I thought it would be. It's called Zen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(TV_series) From what I remember there's a kind of detachment to the show that didn't really mesh with me so I may be mis-remembering/representing it. It's a casual corruption, not something gritty out of The Wire.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 8, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I swear, sometimes I'll search for hours trying to find something (I think is) obvious, and sometimes my initial word salad vomit into Google returns "I know EXACTLY what you're talking about."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

I quit in season 4 it was so bad, I should really go back and watch 5.

I did the same, in 3 or 4 it just stopped meshing with my schedule despite my family saying "no seriously it's good". Caught an episode of season 5 by chance and was immediately hooked for the rollercoaster to the end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I watched an Egghead episode of the Batman 66 series in memory of Adam West and there was a white guy in redface playing a native american and everyone kept making really racist jokes about native americans and then Batman called him a redskin.

Be careful if you watch Get Smart. Great comedians, great comedic delivery, TERRIBLY aged jokes. One of them they did a solid fifteen minutes on a Chinese villain getting mad because they thought his name was The Craw.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snak posted:

Basically I think you could edit seasons 1 and 2 into one really great first season and season 3 has been great.

I think I agree, but it wouldn't be a bloodless edit. There are up and down episodes but the slow burn shifting into a more blatant... is dystopia the right word...as the seasons go on kinda does it for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pentyne posted:

The first sequel was a lovely low budget straight to DVD thing they probably expected to see heavy rotation on SyFY at 1am but the third movie was more like the first one except leaning a little too hard into the satire. It's pretty amazing going back and watching ST now given what happened after 2001. I'm pretty sure in the movie despite it trying to make it look like the bugs fault the asteroid was completely random and the war was used as an excuse to give millions of angry people an outlet beside the Federation.

"Crap, turns out they're just bugs. Quick, how do I spin this?" "It's afraid! It's afraid!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I happen across an episode of Mom I'm pleasantly impressed. Managing to find humor in broken people without going to the absurd to find it, being able to work in lines like "I was not a good mother to her, and I didn't realize it because I thought anyone who didn't whail on their kid was parent of the year" without breaking character and still being comedy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Penn & Teller: Fool Us is back for another season and it had a solid first episode. The trailer focused on large prop tricks so I was worried it had turned into Masters of Illusion but they seem to still have the more intimate, smaller (but not simpler) tricks and after another season or two Alyson Hannigan might actually look comfortable on stage. The four acts tonight were an absolute joy to watch, including one guy with so much charisma and skill I don't think they wanted to figure it out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Wheaton was the celebrity guest on Whose Line is it Anyway the other day and I was impressed. Most of the ones on there are just props but he actually participated in his bits.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just "the Doctor"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that but "this is the latest the doctor" sounds weird

I am a pedant. I'll take weirdness over wrongness any day. And this is after a morning of seeing various news articles get it wrong. At least I've seen blessed few trying to classify her as "the Lady Doctor" outside of headlines.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On the one hand you have Babylon 5 where JMS had a solid idea of where he wanted to go but kept flexibility in the episodes. At the other end you have half the shows on TV where they're lucky if they even have a plan for the season, let alone the series. Either side works fine if you match it to the kind of show; if you're going to make a point of introducing big mystery questions you should probably have SOME idea of an answer, even if that changes later. Note that "there's not going to be an answer" can be a valid answer a la Twin Peaks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

If you ever need to stop and take stock of what the gently caress just happened on any given episode, a former goon (General Ironicus, best known for his Let's Plays with Chip Cheezum) does a recap podcast with his wife called Sex Archie, and it's hilarious.

Former? I thought they just got slammed with actual real life paycheck work, not that they'd left the forum.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Oh man Friends had a crossover with Mad About You and I remember that Mad About You was awfuuuuuuul

The only thing I remember about that show is
"Hey shut up out there! I'm trying to have sex with my wife!" "I already had sex with your wife!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Pretty excited for this. Loved Psych and still quote from it often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhw3yBdnsUA

my response: https://youtu.be/2zo_5IWXOAg?t=21s

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's not how it works. That's not how any of it works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I liked the episode where the old car died and they played that Proclaimers song a lot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is that actually Joseph Gordon-Levitt? My brain is having trouble parsing it but not enough to say "that's not him and it's part of the joke".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Okay, I see where my problem was. I mistook Nick Offerman for Timothy Omundson, who looked enough like the captain (in very good makeup) that I was trying to parse the rest of them as the actors on-screen too.

It's a new show made up as an old show with the big-name actors dubbing it but not starring in it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

That's weird.

exactly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Popularized maybe, it became pretty standard for a while after Seinfeld, but in no way were they the first to do it.

I can't recall if any went fully up to C plots, but I can definitely think of quite a few MASH episodes where A and B-plots collided at the punchline.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snak posted:

That's actually the best part of the show.

:agreed:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

That sounds like a really great way to make your sitcom loving depressing.

Mom did it, and it was loving depressing, but that show is depression and alcoholism: the comedy so it worked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I've had The Dick Van Dyke Show on in the background for the last three days so referring to anything in color as an older sitcom is kinda throwing me, but it's certainly put this laugh track discussion into perspective.

I know the feeling. My afternoon background noise is Bonanza, The Big Valley, Gunsmoke and The Rifleman (because it's that or talk shows at that time of day) and I need to take a step back to remember it's 2017 by the evening.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

raditts posted:

Let me guess, MeTV? That's pretty much the only thing I miss about having cable, since I get like two channels total with an antenna. I used to watch The Rockford Files every day at noon, I think I watched the entire series twice. Then after that was the Western block that sounds like it hasn't changed. Gunsmoke was the only one I really liked out of the bunch, but boy did it have some wild swings in quality.

Yup. It's on broadcast here, along with a bunch of other stuff of varying levels of quality (both reception and intrinsic), but I live straight across the river from the big broadcast tower for the city with an unobstructed view, so I'm about as ideal as broadcast can get.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I have vague memories of loving Song of the South as a kid and lots of weird white guilt about that as an adult. Like, I don't remember poo poo about it and I know kid me didn't know what the gently caress a "tarbaby" was or a minstrel show. But it still kind of bugs me.

There's a small question I have in the back of my head about why my very not racist parents were cool with me watching it. That one's never really going to get answered.

I'm the same with the Brer Rabbit stories. I don't think I ever saw the SotS movie as a whole but those stories were part of my childhood. I'm not clamoring that they were somehow sacred and should be brought back or anything, just something I didn't learn the context for until quite a bit later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

drunkill posted:

Sadly the season 1 thread here is archived, but netflix just released a trailer for season 2 of The Crown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-BCMOolNI Comes out Dec 8th.

Michael C. Hall plays JFK.

Oh, yay! I quite enjoyed the first season.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

The problem was that in 2017 MST3K isn't actually funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DworRueQh4E begs to differ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Well, I was also going to suggest The Blues Brothers, but...probably not?

My favorite movie, I've been thinking about that quite a bit today. It's funny when people don't actually do it.

• Locked thread