Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

The first 3 seasons of Weeds were actually quite good, and the season 3 finale would've been the perfect ending to the show.

I'd go further, and argue that the next three seasons are often quite brilliant, if consistently begging the question. Season 4 ends up being quite good despite the cruft, and the first arc in Season 5 is good stuff. Season Six is probably the show's second best season, after the second. At least in my opinion.

The last two are basically horrible, though in retrospect they're clearly a recruiting ground for Orange Is The New Black, a show Jenji Kohan would have much rather have been writing from the moment Nancy went to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Which season is the one where the kid jerks off to a picture of his mom

Four.

But, like I said, there was a heavy build up. Of cruft.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I have vague memories of the son turning into a mime....

THe first 2 seasons are legit great tho. That loving serial killer poo poo killed the show

Jessalyn Gilsig got hosed out a window and into the loving arms of Death, and Sharon Gless murdered a rival talent agent and turned him into an enormous stuffed teddy bear man.

Oh! And Katee Sackhoff was cast as a serial killer who was dating one of the leads, but was quickly recast with notable Katee Sackhoff lookalike, Rose McGowan. Before either of them could actually do any serial killing, McGowan ran into another serial killer in the woods and was murdered.

There. You now have experienced every last noteworthy element belonging to that show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a Channel Four coproduction with AMC. And it's really quite good, despite how terrible that trailer was. (First season finale excluded).

AMC is famously cheap, though. Remember the poo poo they pulled on Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead? That, and the British co-production budgetary shenanigans they're clearly pulling on a number of their shows (Preacher, Into The Badlands, Humans) suggests that they haven't really changed since then.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I've not seen the episode yet, but the comments section have been, at best, split on the content and quality of those reviews.

Edit: Yep, quick peruse of those comments has a large proportion of people making GBS threads on the reviewer, a right-wing arsehole who hasn't realised the show still isn't quite his thing, and the usual crowd of jackals that turn up whenever a show gets a bad review score but don't actually watch the show. The website's gone downhill over the last few years.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 10, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm sick of scenes where a man is shaving and the camera zooms in real close with the sound being super exaggerated. Then of course he accidentally nicks himself and some blood starts to come out. What a bad omen!

Hey, if we'd listened, we'd have never watched Dexter in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone object to my putting up a thread for American Gods? I'm pretty psyched for it, and I don't think there's a thread yet.

Also! New picture:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

Some earlier in this thread said to absolutely not read it until you've seen the premiere.

I'd still check it out. It didn't seem bad to me?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone else watching Outsiders? Probably my favourite show that no-one's heard of. Nearly at the end of its second season, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

It seemed like a hillbilly Sons Of Anarchy so I never gave it a second look. Is it really that good?

Well, I like it, and I like to think I have good taste? But I've been wrong before.

I've not seen an awful lot of Sons, but what I've seen I didn't particularly enjoy if that helps your comparison. The characters don't spend an awful lot of time on those quad bikes outside the first few episodes; I think they're only there because the show was sold to the Network as being "Appalachian Mad Max: Fury Road", which it's really not.

In content, it's actually a lot closer to Season 2 of Justfied than anything else, but with a more aggressive tone (but, not, like, Kurt Sutter aggressive). It's also all shot on location, so the entire thing looks really lush, and there are some really strong performances from the cast. It's also surprisingly funny at times, though that only starts to happen later on in the show.

So, yeah, like I said, it's my favourite show that nobody ever really talks about. (Though, you know, probably not my actual favourite show. But it deserves a lot more love.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok, browsing through Amazon Prime's stuff...can I get quick goon reviews for Oasis, You are Wanted, The Night Manager, and Fortitude?

And anything else I'm missing, I suppose. It seems like they add new stuff all the time.

Fortitude is great (though the first season is a little slow).

You think it's doing one genre, Nordic Noir, when BOOM! completely different show. There are some great performances, and it gets quite gory and horrific. Plus, it's occasionally quite funny.

I'd compare it favourably to Twin Peaks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My god I just finished Slings And Arrows for the first time. It's so, so good -- the King Lear season in particular. Absolutely amazing. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a Canadian comedy/drama about a theatre trying to put on various Shakespeare plays, and the difficulties involved. Each season focuses on a different Shakespeare, and part of the difficulty involved in mounting the production lies in the events behind the scenes beginning to mirror the events in the actual plays. Which should be a recipe for high fructose corn syrup, but it ends up not being at all.

The entire thing is so gentle and funny for the most part, but then the final season just really rakes the entire cast through it -- but the thing that really gets me is how grounded and realistic it is. Despite having supernatural elements it's never particularly genre, and despite being a drama It's never melodramatic. Even when it's funny all the characters are themselves first, and joke machines second -- except for the two comic relief characters, who both turn out to be deeply unbalanced people.

It's so, so good, and I think it's crazy that no-one really talks about it. I mean, you see it turn up in the occasional top ten lists, and critics like Sepinwall and Nussbaum talk really highly of it when it does come up. David Simon, who made The Wire, talked about how much he admired the show (and you can see it shares many of his sensibilities, if a completely different subject matter). Hell, Todd Vanderwerff did a whole big retrospective for the Av Club about five years back, back when the Av Club was a respectable name and had the content and coverage to back that name. But I don't think I've ever seen a show fall into complete obscurity so, so quickly.

It's really very good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
In renewal news: both Imposters and Patriot have been given second seasons. Goons, you may now die happy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Can we talk for a moment about the hilarity/stupidity of the cast and creators of The Handmaid's Tale trying to downplay the fact that it's feminist? Elizabeth Moss saying "it's not a feminist story, it's a human story" and things of that nature.

Like, imagine the star of some future Animal Farm adaptation talking about how it's not really an anti-Stalinism story, it's a pig story.

To be fair to the cast (and probably the writers too) I suspect the reason they're saying this utter load of codswallop is at Hulu's / Sony's / some moneybag's behest, rather than because they actually believe it. To a large portion of their potential audiences, feminist is a noncommercial word.

Of course the entire thing is feminist. It's Margaret freaking Atwood. But they don't want to risk puncturing some precious MRA's thin thin skin and risk losing some marginal portion of their client base -- like what happened with Netflix and Dear White People. It's loving stupid.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Holy gently caress, iZombie is not only back, it's 5 episodes in?! What the gently caress.

It's only three episodes back, unfortunately. But, hey, the love triangle makes it feel like five.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Oh my loving god, Silicon Valley butchered Schrodinger's cat even worse than Big Bang Theory.

That's embarrassing.

Josh Lyman posted:

They didn't though???

What if you're both right until I watch the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: I'm glad there are plenty of good TV right now, but first Manhattan and now The Knick...that's a tough two shows to not see their natural endpoint.

The Knick, at least, was planned to have a radically different third season -- it wasn't clear just how radical, but it was apparently done with most, if not all, of the characters.

Manhattan was cancelled mid flow, and it's absolutely loving tragic. At least Sam Shaw's landed up with a new Hulu show, Castle Rock.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Preacher was loving great. Me and mine loved it from start to finish. And I thought it did tight thematic work, and really understood how to structure a series and adapt a work to a different medium. Good stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Do not listen to these people, Preacher is fantastic start to finish (just watched the finale HOLLLYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIT)

If you skip the first season you'd miss out on not one, but two of the best gay couples in recent TV memory.

And also Jackie Earl Haley loving killing

Which one's my daughter? And which one's the cow?

He's so, so good. He's going to loving kill on The Tick this year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If I were pressed, it's because it's more serious and a bit more nasty than any other version I've checked out. I could image that was a sticking point.

I thought it was still funny, but in a darker way. I loved the syphilis joke, it made me laugh like a drainpipe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh no Jonathan Demme died.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jonathan-demme-dead-silence-lambs-director-was-73-997623

The last thing I saw was Rachel Getting Married like 9 years ago but he was still good. Looks like he still has stuff in the pipeline. He directed an episode for some Veena Sud (ugh) show on Netflix and a show for Fox called Shots Fired.

He worked on the two good seasons though?

Season 3 of The Killing is really, really good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

You don't remember the angels or the mascots?

A surprising number of people didn't pick up that either of those couples were actually couples.

Actually, I take it back. It's unfortunately typical, but it really shouldn't be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of Hulu, Harlots rules. It's an 18th century brothel wars show, but it's more funny and sexy than that description would suggest. Not that it shies away from the life of a prostitute, it can be quite brutal and nasty, but at the same time It's super colourful and fun looking -- and every episode ends with a contemporary cover of a historical song (usually a reprise of an earlier, historically appropriate version).

Five episodes out currently, out of eight. Check it out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think he's written a handful of scripts, too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Friday night is where shows go to die. I love all the nutters on social media screaming that THE FAKA MEDIA TOOK AWAY MY JINGOIST SHOW!

I think you've accidentally quoted the wrong post. Did you mean Last Man Standing, not The Leftovers?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seeing about half the main cast (including the main character) of Once Upon a Time leaving in the next season has me wondering: a) are there any other series (soaps notwithstanding) that dispensed with a large part of their cast like this; and b) did any of them manage to pull it off successfully?

There are a number of British shows that have -- Misfits, Skins, Being Human; all had complete cast changeovers in recent memory -- and though a lot of fans tend to hate that the shows did that, I've never really minded it. Being Human, in particular, I thought was as good if not better with its new cast. It's one of my favourite shows.

There's another British show this famously applies to as well, but its name shalt not be spoken here.

Once Upon A Time's new season will be bad because the show is bad and its showrunners can't manage for poo poo, not because they're only keeping three cast members.

-Blackadder- posted:

Out of curiosity who all is leaving Once Upon a Time? I used to watch that show, it was ok.

Literally everyone who isn't Regina, Captain Hook or Rumpelstiltskin. Every other regular is gone.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 13, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Coronation Street right?

YOU SAID THE WORDS!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Probably because almost everyone is really, really busy. Bateman's got like three things going on right now, Tambor is doing Transparent, Walter is doing Archer (and those recording sessions apparently take a long time due to heavy improv), Cera's got a few movies, Hale's on Veep, Arnett always has something happening and I think Alia Shawkat is still starring on Search Party. Pretty much the only cast members who aren't occupied, as far as I know, are de Rossi and Cross.

Isn't Portia de Rossi on Scandal?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Has Michael Gaston ever not played a piece of poo poo in his entire career?

Man In The High Castle?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

How's the TV series Nikita? If it is worth watching, does it require any foreknowledge of other versions of the character? I have not seen La Femme Nikita with Peta Wilson, nor have I seen the film Nikita directed by Luc Besson. However, I have seen the 1993 remake of the aforementioned Besson film, The Assassin (a.k.a. Point of No Return) starring Bridget Fonda.

It's its own thing -- though there are a few cameo references and injokes referring back to the USA series from the 90's.

It's fun for what it is; there are some great spy arcs, usually in the later half of each season, and the action really ramps up around episode ten (you'll know it when you see it, the episode is excellent). Generally, it manages to do a surprising amount with very little: for years it was the absolute cheapest show on the CW, but you'd never know it for looking. It's also got some really lovely set design and lighting, (much of the same crew now work on Gotham if you want to get a sense of what they can do) and it ends pretty well despite the shortened final season.

On the other hand, there's some flat romantic character work, the show doesn't really do character driven arcs, and it seems to like the idea of comedy without actually knowing how to be funny. Basically many of the same faults as 12 Monkeys, who inherited some of its writers I think. It's no great, but it's a solid B.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Starz addon sub is totally worth it. You get a lot of good movies and some great shows.

Starting around Spartacus, STARZ became a really solid channel. Party Down, Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons, The Missing, The Girlfriend Experience. I guess people like Outlander and Power too -- I read somewhere that Power gets the second highest ratings for cable tv shows, after The Walking Dead.

There've been a handful of wiffs, but it's mostly been pretty strong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

This is more campy than brutal, but the moment in Season 1 where Nikita goes Kratos justifies the entire season.

Yeah, that's the episode where the entire show just jumps up a notch. The fights are just much better from that point out.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

[12 Monkeys] is one of the better shows on TV with regards to the actual physics of time travel.

I like the show, but there is absolutely no way this is true.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The original plan was for this season to be ten episodes long -- they had to cut two episodes of screentime because the show required extensive reshoots for a variety of reasons, (the original crocodile set looked like crap, the sex scene from episode three wasn't working out, and a lot of material was cut from the show, resulting in a version of the show that has the Laura Moon episode as it is now). Starz was perfectly happy with all this, apparently -- I wish I could find the interview I read this in, it was just a few days ago too. I imagine that future seasons will be ten episodes long.

Bare in mind a) I don't think anyone has said that they plan on having a seven year story arc, the most I've heard is five, and b) that those five seasons would include all the American Gods material that currently exists, including Anasazi Boys and the various novellas. I think I read that the intention is to get the story of the original book done in three seasons.

And that includes the (upcoming original material spoiler) apparently much enlarged roles for Laura and Sweeny going forward. I read somewhere that Fuller/Green/Gaiman were planning on sending the two of them off on their own, separate road trip, starting around episode seven.

Again, this is all based on what I've read in various interviews which I can't track down.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So this is cool, probably. Michael Green (Kings, American Gods) is the one behind FX's planned adaptation of Y The Last Man. Brian K Vaughn mentions it in this interview.

Also there are some spoilers for Saga and such in there, so it's worth scrolling down to the section with the Runaways picture.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cinemax is moving towards a different kind of television, if they're sticking with original drama at all. It's the same thing that happened to The Knick, and probably Outcast. No idea what's going to happen to their new shows now, either. Probably the same thing that happened to the new shows on WGN (a cot death).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Niwrad posted:

Weird that the show didn't fit into their rebranding which I read centers around action-dramas.

I think they're going for a "pint and curry" genre of action show, rather than anything more cerebral. Think a lot of TNT's brand over the last few years -- SouthLAnd, Animal Kingdom, The Last Ship, Good Beaviour -- or early STARZ. So something like Banshee would work, for the most part, but not Quarry or The Knick. (Ironically The Knick would be perfectly at home on STARZ these days. Shame.)

Presumably that's why they're bringing back another reboot of Strike Back.

Hopefully Warrior and The Boys still go to series, since both could probably work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did anyone watch that Van Helsing series Simon Barry (and others) did for SyFy last year?

I liked it, but I'm a fool who enjoys things. Finale was a bit poo poo though, but there's a second season.

I think a lot of goons did not like it all the way through.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Did somebody say if Happy Valley was any good or not?

It's fantastic.

The first season starts out as a riff on Fargo (the film, not the tv series), except with a gruff as gently caress Halifax cop as the lead instead of Frances McDormand making Minnesota Nice. It gets really loving intense.

The second season is closer to being a typical week in her life, as she tries to balance out about four or five different investigations simultaneously, and how all the petty and crazy poo poo she has to deal with slowly wears her good will out. I like it better than the first season.

It's probably one of Sarah Lancashire's best performances, and she's a loving marvel so that's pretty bloody outstanding.

(Also, once you're done, if you're looking for something similar but equally good to check out, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend No Offence. Its second season aired a few months ago, and I reckon it's in the running for being one of the best shows of the year.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

The funniest thing about Hbomberguy's video is those fans who convinced themselves that there was going to be a secret 4th episode and that the other 3 were bad on purpose. Like... That's a crazy delusion to go around with.

Yeah, but this kind of reaction is pretty typical among fans, even if it's not usually so funny. You could see it among The Americans fanbase this year, with people arguing that the entire season was secretly set-up for next year, even though the showrunners have come out and said, "Nope. It was meant to be satisfying and self-contained."

A lot of people can't square away their disappointment with the hype and investment they've previously granted a show. It's classic Denial + Bargaining. Or even Anger, in cases like LOST, or whatever.

• Locked thread