Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

If you mean the thing that solidifies near the end of season 2 I guessed it in season 1.

If you're talking about Kalinda being bi, that's not it. I think. Everyone's being very coy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New show from STARZ which I've been low key following for ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g

J.K. Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Lloyd, Ulrich Thompsons as regulars, and I'm pretty sure I saw Stephen Rea in the trailer too.

(It's basically Season 3 of Fringe, but with more cold war drama and Home Counties accents.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Did Paula Malcomson move to the UK? She was in the new Jimmy McGovern with Sean Bean, and is going to be opposite Christopher Eccelston in another kitchen sink drama later this year.

But mostly I came here to post that she's going to be a regular on Syfy's Krypton next year, along with a bunch of other Brits. Oh, and Blake Ritson (the hot dude with the creepy whisper voice from Da Vinci's Demons) is going to be playing Brainiac.

In other news, Zahn McClaron (Hanzee from the second season of Fargo) has been hospitalised after taking a fall at his own home. : (

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

I don't watch Rebels but I've never heard anyone say it was "awful," what?

I've tried watching is a handful of times, but the only time I enjoyed it was when I checked in for the second season finale.

It's not awful like, say, Inhumans is awful, but I found it dreadfully mediocre. That, and I don't like most of the character designs, the art style, and -- I get that this is petty -- I find the super thin lightsabers really distracting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Glenn Close as a comedy zombie could be good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I put it to this thread that the greatest musical episode is undeniably Brigadoom from Lexx.

Yeah, easily, though the competition honestly isn't all that strong. Some don't actually go all out on the musical bit, some just suck.

I think the only other one I really like is Oz's -- probably because half the cast are Broadway stars. BD Wong's cover of Tori Amos is hysterial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiE8AqntU_g

Edit: gently caress I FORGOT NIGHTMAN

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

SMILF continues to be excellent. Samara Weaving is so drat adorable.

Wait, she's in it? I remember her from Ash vs Evil Dead and The Babysitter. She's loving great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Futureman is pretty loving great. Good fights, pretty funny. It's got the guy who made Misfits behind it, apparently. Similar sense of humour.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

I'm really liking Future Man so far (ep 2), really funny.

Finished it. It's fab. Easily makes my top ten of the year.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just popping in to say thanks again for people recommending me to stick with Gotham. From halfway through S2: By-The-Books Vic Mackey :allears:

I love that the character's basically one giant injoke.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I just watched Detention because of this thread.

What the gently caress was that. What the gently caress did I just watch. What.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Her show was pretty good though, even if she's apparently a trainwreck.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The final season is definitely going on my Top Ten list. Which, eugh, is rapidly becoming a Top Twenty.

Just this year we've had The Deuce, Patriot, Twin Peaks, Big Little Lies, The Detour, Nathan For You, Mr. Robot, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Future Man, Fortitude, The Sinner... and that's not even getting around to most of the properly genre stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

And the actor that plays Wolf, Derek Wilson, I know he was in Preacher S1 (I haven't watched S2), but he was the abusive dad that got his arm broken by Jesse, right? I don't remember the plot so well.

Yeah. The show maintains a similar production team, so I figure this role was written for the guy.

(He's not in Season 2 of Preacher, for, uh, obvious reasons.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Runaways is the most faithful translation of a comic book I've yet seen. It's so decompressed they've managed to spin out the first 2/3rds of a well-paced pilot into three episodes.

I think you're overstating things a bit -- it's not thaaaat faithful.

They're changed a fair bit (removing characters, changing characters, expanding some roles significantly) but I honestly don't think that matters very much.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

less laughter posted:

Fuller left STD as well and that didn’t suffer from it (it only improved as it went on, even), so the next season American Gods might turn out just fine as well.

You know they rewrote and refilmed a lot of his stuff, right? Most of his original material was removed from the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's pretty funny, easily the most consistently funny thing the Paladinos have done.

(It's also got that same love of exceedingly wealthy basically conservative people that Gilmore Girls has, which puts my teeth on edge.)

But the show's cool, whatever.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

Hey, it looks like Shut Eye comes back Dec 6th. I won't watch it until I get caught up on Chance, but I know I'm not the only person here who watched the first season...

Yeah, I'm psyched. The original showrunner (who's also the guy who sings the theme tune) had to leave the show because of prior commitments, but John Shiban's (Breaking Bad, showrunner for the good seasons of Da Vinci's Demons) has come on to replace him. Literally the only thing I'm worried about is that the dialogue won't match the first season's ridiculously high standard for its dialogue.

esperterra posted:

I was just informed Shameless started last month and I feel a lot of ... shame ... for not knowing.

On the upside it means I have four episodes to watch tonight and another Sunday.

This season's... not been great. The Finoa stuff looks like it's going to pay off down the line, but a handful of other characters have their plots illogically blow up (Debbie particularly), and who the gently caress knows what's going on with Frank now. It's not bad, but it's deeply mediocre.

That said, I've been invested in Fiona's stuff.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 2, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

At least my expectations for Debbie have been low for a couple years now, so her stuff being stupid or bad is no big deal. Good to hear Fiona's stuff is solid, though!

e: is it mediocre in the sense that other mediocre Shameless seasons are, aka better than a lot of other TV and bad for Shameless, or just plain mediocre?

I think you and I have vaguely similar tastes, but maybe I express things differently? I dunno.

Gonna go out on a limb and say I think this season's been down there with some of the dodgier stuff the show's come up with, but continues to surprise me even in the more frustrating plotlines. Even the Frank stuff is, like, pretty funny.

Except Ian, that plot line is gunge.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They changed the Shut Eye opening credits song, what the gently caress.

The new track suuuucks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Shut Eye Season Two Field Report:

Only three episodes in, still good. I don't think the dialogue's as tight as last season, but I'm still invested in everything. Not noticed any huge continuity errors caused by the showrunner handover (except one that's quickly ironed over). Angus Sampson and Kadee Strickland still rule (I thought she was acting out of character for the first two episodes, but the third episode contextualised a lot of things for me). Much much more Isabella Rosselini this year as well, which only improves things. Sheree Folkson (Casanova, that episode of The Tick where Ms Lindt attacks Arthur's parent's house) directs the poo poo out of the third episode. And there are tiny evil dolls.

It's good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think Jim Bean's playing the same gunrunner from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul on Shut Eye. Neat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New trailer for Altered Carbon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrbxOAkQbpQ

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

I gave Van Helsing a go during a severe bout of insomnia, and it's really not very good.

And even for a Syfy show, the whole her blood/bites reverse vampirism angle and heals almost instantaneously is really pretty dumb and character growth/connections don't really seem to land.

Bravo for making the Deaf guy a master lip reader as usual. Though I give it some props that they try having appropriate ASL, even if the actors bungle some of it.

Like, does it improve at all? Or does it stay this 'mehhhhhh' the whole time?

It gets pretty great, I think -- there's steady improvement once the characters get out of the hospital. Plus I like the characters a lot and think the show has some great performances. The casting's pretty good, particularly given that the show has saved on a decent amount of budget by casting unknowns in a lot of roles.

Also, Sam, the deaf character probably can't read lips. I think. He's definitely lying about it during the sequence at the hospital, and I can't remember him doing it any other time.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 11, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I dunno how many people here are watching Search Party s2, but I’m finding this season a lil disappointing compared to the first one. s1 blended mystery, comedy and drama so well, but this one mostly isn’t very funny at all :(

I'll raise you that Hitchcock parody dream sequence.

Or the part where they have to explain why their door now says "murderer!" to a police officer.

That said, perhaps we just have different tastes in comedy; I didn't find season 1 very funny at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pigasus posted:

I can't help but enjoy how much of a thriller it is right now.

By the way, did anyone see the season finale that they posted on the website?

No, what? Arrgh! So exciting.

Also, calling it: the "murderer!" chat has nothing to do with Keith or even Chantal. It's some random incidental thing, like Rosie Perez's suicide last year, or maybe something to do with the neighbour?.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Serpents have a significant gang member named Sweet Pea. It's not going for realism, it's just being silly. Occasionally it's overly heartfelt teen nonsense, occasionally it's a parody of that, occasionally it's a kid's property that's been updated by being inappropriately grim and macabre, and occasionally it's a joke about that. It's straddling that weird line between pisstake and earnestness that's where camp lives.

(Cheat sheet -- Batman: Gotham :: The OC : Riverdale)

And, tbh, I've not seen anything I'd class as filler this season, other than the Tales From The Other Side episode, which was just random and hilarious and completely justified its own existence. If you can't see the inherent value in Cheryl trying to Single White Female Josie (or whatever the gently caress she's trying to do), then I don't think the show works for you.

Also most TV is random dives into dead end plots that are hopefully entertaining for their own sake. That's like the point of television.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

Shut Eye s01e03 with the extremely accurate depiction of tripping on mushrooms

Yes! Someone else is watching Shut Eye.

The first season isn't amazing, but it's fun/fine. The second season is, after an episode or two of transition, much better. Plus way more Isabella Rossilini.

I mean, it's not Patriot levels of good (everyone should watch Patriot) but it's still good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Watching last week's Ghost Wars and who should suddenly appear? I'll give you a hint, it involves a Canadian sci-fi actor and a beard.

Tony Amendola! Michael Ironside! Ellen Page and her husband!

It was Ryan Robbins, right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Catching up on Agents of Shield. Started season 4. I expect it will mostly be practical effects, they spent the cgi budget on ghost rider transforming constantly.

This isn't how budgets work though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

I really enjoyed Shut Eye season 1, but man this season just seemed like it ends on a wet fart. Season 1s finale was great and left me wanting more, this season I had to double check because it didn't feel like a season finale at all. I think the only "shocking" cliffhanger was the fake pregnancy. obviously there will also be some drama with his kid and the Gypsy daughter, but other than that uhhh what really happened this season?

Uh, a lot?

His wife left him, he's come to the conclusion that his abilities are probably genetic, and he's become exactly the thing he's spent his whole life mocking -- a sucker. And a bunch of stuff in the Gypsy plotline but I can't remember much except for the part where everyone thinks everyone else hosed them over but it was all a completely divine act of random chance fuckery. Oh, and his wife's dead girlfriend is probably orchestrating this from beyond the grave.

That said, it's says a lot about our current televisual landscape that none of this qualifies as particularly outlandish, but stuff did happen.

• Locked thread