Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder if one day the kids who grew up when multicam sitcoms were popular will make YouTube videos where they edit out all the cutaways and times people emote to the camera to prove that the format is objectively terrible in the same way that people currently think it's a masterstroke to edit the audience reactions out of single camera sitcoms to show that they're all garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Agreed.

Edit: to be pedantic: were-human does not make sense. The 'were' part of the word already means human.

The actual name of the episode is "Mulder & Scully Meet the Were-Monster", so the title is not only correct but really clever.

Also, Guy Mann being dressed in the exact same outfit as Kolchak the Night Stalker the entire time. Such a fantastic episode.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Adult Swim is streaming a free Samurai Jack marathon leading up to and including the premiere of the new season. :cheers:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

the one where Jack turns into a chicken

That was the one that was playing when I first found the stream, I totally forgot that there was an entire episode about Jack becoming a champion cockfighter after being turned into a chicken because Wizards Are Dicks.

Rhyno posted:

The first Scottsman episode is loving art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-LyFMCIpok

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Like I said, it's ART.

That little riff they play at the start of the episode kicks rear end, considering that they had Carpenter Brut on the trailer to the new season I'm assuming it's still going to hold up on the musical department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE5LVo6DyqE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Apparently the bird is actually dying and this is its literal swan song. :(

People like you are why cute animal picture sites had to ban pictures of sleeping animals because people thought they were dead.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/BigRadMachine/status/837164214456307712

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

whowhatwhere posted:

If the scene we think is in, is in, then oh boy will it ever.

I kind of hated those scenes in the book when I read it because slamming the breaks to put in a bunch of unconnected sex scenes is just the worst and also because I know there's a nonzero chance that Neil Gaiman was getting off to at least one of them in particular, but they've become so iconic of the book that it's hard to blame Fuller for fighting to keep them in.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I feel like I would like Legion's plot a lot more if Stranger Things hadn't come out before it, because they're both about the same thing (a powerful psychic who has been damaged by being institutionalized and experimented on accidentally makes contact with a malevolent force from another world, seeks to understand and stop it with the help of new friends) but ST respected the intelligence of the characters and audience by showing its hand fairly quickly while Legion is still acting like its some big reveal to build toward and still has people who are supppsed to be genius experts in supernatural phenoma be struggling with something the audience figured out two episodes in.

Also tuliphead was actually creepy, a fat goth with a killer goiter notsomuch.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Man In The High Castle has inadvertently struck a killing blow to satire.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Netflix announced that they're replacing their five star rating system with a simple thumbs-up/thumbs-down system, all those hours you spent meticulously deciding whether a movie was worth four stars or five are now dust in the wind.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

That's why it has 1 star on Netflix.

The star ratings Netflix displays are what their recommendation algorithm thinks you will rate the show, not an aggregate of everyone else's votes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

The entire reason I got interested in season one of Daredevil was because of that one fight scene in the second episode that was like one unbroken three minute shot of him going back and forth across a single hallways clearing out entire rooms of goons. :sigh:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Oh Snapple! posted:

It got put on top tens because goons lose their loving poo poo over its specific subject matter and to this day will excuse its faults due to it.

Yeah, it's possible to acknowledge and even admire what JJ was going for without completely rejecting every criticism of the show as goony goon goons hating women.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

UKS is basically why I said only nearly all of them sucked.

And that was basically an NBC show that Netflix bought after they changed their minds on it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looten Plunder posted:

For all the poo poo that you people have been piling on the Marvel Netflix shows, why the hell did you vote them so drat high in the TVIV viewers poll?

Because nobody who actually values their time would waste god knows how long doing exhaustive rankings of shows and writing persuasive essays about their greatness for an internet forum award, especially one that only like a dozen people even read or care about.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I spent the afternoon wrapping up Iron Fist (which isn't anywhere close to as bad as people said) so I spent the evening catching up on shows from last week. I'm watching the second episode of the new Samurai Jack and rather than doing the smart thing and barely using Aku since his original voice actor Mako passed away, they instead opened the episode with a ton of Aku dialogue and the guy who replaced Mako is terrible.

In the making-of promo they said that they knew there was no way to replace Mako but they felt that excising him entirely from the show or giving him a completely different voice would just be erasing the character and be more of a disservice to his legacy than keeping the character and using his understudy to continue it as best they could. And I'm glad they did because Aku is still the funniest character on the show and it really needed the levity he brought, and you get used to the new guy after like a minute.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Someone edit Jessica Jones into a 2 hour movie

We've finally come full circle from people saying that every film adaptation would work better as a miniseries.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I feel like I shouldn't groan every time Chuck Plot Time comes around in Better Call Saul but I do, everything else in season 2 is way more interesting to me :(

I really don't like the direction they took season 2 in and if season 3 is even more spinning their wheels instead of actually moving on to Jimmy becoming Saul I am going to be disappointed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The episode with Toby Jones was fun at least.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

The Albino fight made my nuts shrink permanently

Pretty much everything involving the albino prison sex vampire is amazing, that was the exact moment I knew exactly what kind of show I was watching and that I was in for the ride.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Mr Robot had a great second season. People just expected a plot driven show and not a character driven one. Which kind if says more about what they liked in the first season, rather than the quality of the show.

You say this but S2 felt like it spent a lot more time on the dull nebulous international conspiracy plot than S1 did which is a lot of why I didn't like it as much. I would have killed for more character time and less inscrutable Chinese hacker assassins.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Aside from the tentpole DC shows, CW has been moving to 10-13 episode seasons across the board, so I wouldn't take it as any indication it's going to be cancelled.

In other news

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/invader-zim-movie-announced/?fb=gk

Nickelodeon is apparently bringing back Invader Zim for a 90 minute movie.

Well the Samurai Jack revival has been amazing, I'm all for us rushing through 90s nostalgia to start bringing back good early-00s stuff.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

I have to say seeing Saul's inevitably bad decisions gather momentum in the S2 has definitely bogged me down watching it. Currently in the fourth ep, and find myself constantly distracted to watch something where I don't know what happens. Like, it's a good job!!! Stay in it!!!

I stopped listening to the Insider podcast about halfway through S2 because the constant self-congratulatory asides were just too annoying and started to completely outweighed the actual interesting behind-the-scenes scuttlebutt, but they outright admitted that they retconned him ending S1 with turning down the job offer and riding into the sunset because when they got renewed and had to sit down to write S2 they realized they could fill an entire season showing him burning his bridges with them instead. They way they spun the decision to go with that was because they completely wanted to get rid of any nagging what-ifs about how things could have gone differently if he hadn't turned it down, but a more cynical person could easily see it as them not being in any rush to move closer to the inevitable conclusion now that the show is so successful that they're in no danger of having to worry about being renewed again.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wasn't super into the first episode of the new MST3k but good lord was Cry Wilderness such a leap in quality. I watched it last night and I spent most of today still remembering and giggling at random lines throughout the day.

Bang!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

I legit didn't know IMDb had forums.

Their forums were insane, it was all dynamically created based on their database so every single actor, show, movie, writer, you name it had their own designated forum. That's why it was shut down, it was taking up a huge amount of space and bandwidth and even by the standards of traditional message boards in a post-Facebook world nobody was using it outside of the most inane bullshit imaginable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember that writers guild strike partly started because of the Battlestar Galactica webisodes? And how shows like Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad had to have short seasons? That was 10 years ago.

It took me a second to remember that not only were the last two seasons of Breaking Bad shortened but the first one as well. It's kind of tragic that the show started off short due to writers fighting for their fair share and then ended short as a way of weaseling out of said union agreements.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Felicia Day is perfectly fine in the new MST3k and she was pretty good in Supernatural as the one woman to meet the Winchesters on multiple occasions and not die because since her character was a lesbian they didn't have to kill her off to appease the creepy fangirls.

Lurdiak posted:

Harlan Ellison is a lovely awful man.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is one of my favorite things ever but I will never get sick of stories of Ellison being dunked on for being such a terrible person. Even the ones that never actually happened:

quote:

This reminds me of my absolutely favorite Harlan Ellison story. People in the field are afraid to tell it out loud, but I will do so. Harlan and I are such good friends that I know he won’t kill me, especially when I tell you that I’m sure the story is quite fictional. Of course, he may maim me a bit.

The thing is that Harlan is short and in the days before he married his present fifth wife (who is his own size and with whom he is happy at last) he could not resist going about with giant showgirl types, all of them topping him by two or three feet.

The story goes, then, that Harlan approached one of these giraffelike women, fixed her with his glittering eye, and said, “What would you say to a little gently caress?”

And she looked down at him and said, “I would say, ‘Hello, little gently caress.'”

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope Kumail Nanjiani gets to be in another episode

I really want to know why he stopped The X-Files Files with zero fanfare. Was he pissed off about that awful terrorist episode? He was still doing it while they were producing and even airing the new episodes so I doubt there was any contractual reason for it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oprah also just gave some new show on her network to an extremely homophobic pastor, I read yesterday. gently caress Oprah.

HBO is more or less entirely responsible for Bill Maher having a platform after 9/11, if you're cool with a network that supports Islamophobia and anti-vaxxers then Oprah shouldn't be much different.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bruceski posted:

Was that host Svengoolie? Top hat, greasepaint makeup, rubber chickens? I love watching him.

God yes. I am so happy that he's still there carrying the torch of the worst jokes and greenscreen gags possible as bumpers between commercial breaks, Saturday night creature features just aren't the same without them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne posted:

It's also haunted by Dean Norris who seems to still be paying penance for having been in Under the Dome.

Even by the standards of Breaking Bad alum, Dean Norris' next big movie role is the most loving baffling thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

I still can't believe that this is a real movie and not some FunnyOrDie prank.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

Results are in; 96.3 percent of the WGA's membership voted to authorize a strike, which would most likely begin at 12:01 a.m. next Monday.

Good on them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The best thing you can say about season 1 of Preacher is that if they turn the show around this season it will be easy to skip the first season since nothing that happened in it outside of the pilot episode mattered and all ended in a big wet fart.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

I saw the episode about healing magnets and poo poo and it was straight out of Penn and Teller's Bullshit except Bill Nye didn't say the word bullshit. He even had a standup comic come on and call out using quasi-asian crap to lend legitimacy to things. Which now that I think of it seems like it couldn't be aimed at kids.

Dude was legit pissed off the whole show, and while I totally get that, there's no audience for that that isn't already agreeing with him. Are there really people out there where they know magnets and crystals are bullshit but don't know why they think that?

Probably. I guess?

Yeah, Bill Nye being kind of an rear end in a top hat has been an open secret for a long time. Like there was a relatively public incident a decade ago where he giving a presentation on the moon at a school and then out of nowhere was like "By the way, The Bible says that the moon makes light but it's actually just reflecting it from the sun. Check and mate, xians :smug:" and then was baffled when people complained about him hamfistedly crowbarring religion into a lecture on a completely unrelated topic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Now that he's buddy-buddy with Netflix maybe they can bring back Almost Live, the most Seattle thing ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIOGazSmHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6h4zLC5U8

-Blackadder- posted:

I only remember Bill Nye from clips of his show when I was a kid. I just remember him explaining basic scientific topics and being really goofy while doing it. Has he changed his approach extensively?

When old Bill Nye wanted to be cool he played golf with Samuel L Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M78-7aqXGOA

Now when Bill Nye wants to be cool he has the lady from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend say cusses and sing about "butt stuff"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wllc5gSc-N8

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 27, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

It's also just kind of like... I imagine once you reach a certain point, you stop giving a poo poo who you're alienating or reaching and are just busy doing what you do. Like, Bill Nye obviously wants to reach some people, but he probably doesn't give a gently caress if he fails at reaching anyone who gets offended by his anti-religious comments.

And I'm not saying that's right, or whatever, but I think it's understandable.

Anti-science sentiment has literally doomed the entire planet, and tens of millions of people will die in my lifetime due to climate change.

Science gave us all the technology that lead to us dooming the planet. Check and mate :ocelot::smugdog:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

That's why I posted that, it was an oddly prophetic show as we head into yet another hottest summer ever.

I can't believe the show predicted something that people had already known about for 20 years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just saw the first episode. Holy poo poo. The Bilquis scene was pretty amazing and McShane is, as usual, fantastic.

I watched it live with some friends and it was a mix of people who had and hadn't read the books, I don't know whose reactions were more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't decide if Wreck-It Ralph had the best or worst product placement, because half of the movie takes place in a world made of candy crammed full of actual real-life brands (including ones that aren't even really a thing in America like Beard Papa's) and the other half takes place in an arcade world full of actual video game characters but they all work in the context of the movie and there are some really great jokes that only work as a specific reference to that thing.

• Locked thread