Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

try the new taco place posted:

Superstore tonight was a pretty crazy season finale. Can't wait for season 3.

For me, Sandra ice-grilling Carol as she shut the door and left her to die was the highlight of this, the season finale of a lighthearted sitcom.

My immediate thought after the reveal of the storm damage at the end was "Wonder if they're having to change shooting locations for S3 and had to write that into the script" - which turns out to be true - but I also suspect "Everybody had to take a little time off (And corporate no longer asked for layoffs)" is going to give them a nice status quo reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Insanity. Both seasons of Frisky Dingo are fantastic, especially the second. Adam Reed has definitely honed his writing with Archer, but because it's a half hour show things can breathe in a way they couldn't on FD, and as a result it only rarely has the same kind of intense rhythm that defined its predecessor (Skytanic and Lo Scandalo jump to mind as examples of capturing that same manic energy.) The speed with which running jokes and wordplay would build and layer on top of each other over the course of FD, both within an episode and over the course of the season, was staggering. The dueling Presidential campaigns storyline in S2 does run a little long (And, yeah, isn't as fun now as it was at the time,) but it makes up for it with how much things just go into overdrive in those final 4 episodes. It's probably because he knew renewal prospects for the show were dim at best, but I really enjoyed how Reed killed off a good 3/4 of the cast with no fanfare left and right in that home stretch as the storylines start wrapping up. Efficient and unsentimental ("Is complicated enough without all this evil-twin bullshit having.")

And as good as Jon Benjamin is, I still wish Archer were just Xander Crews, or at that at the very least Reed could find a way to use that voice and character again. Ray sounds a lot like Xander, slightly more nasal, but he's missing Xander's reprehensibly conceited nature.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Frisky Dingo definitely infected my vocabulary with some sayings I still use seven years after I watched the drat thing.

Like "once again, the [location] has become my Waterloo"

Oh yeah.

"Not with that attitude" "Not with ANY attitude!"
"[Blank] made headlines again today - but not the good kind, like you want."
And, of course, MASTER CYLINDER

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 5, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
A friend had a Scion tC at the time, so you know every time I hopped in the passenger seat I had to let him know that while the bold, sleek styling was all, like, "ka-kow," the 2.4 liter dual overhead cam engine with 160 horsepower was all, like, "ka-KOW."

That's one of those instances where I knew it was product placement, and even worse, it was that self-aware nudge-nudge "hey, did you get that this is a paid sponsorship" product placement that even 30 Rock had a hard time pulling off - but it worked. I laughed and I still remember it.

Scion! tC!

Scion! tC!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I also liked the rapper's cereal in the second season after he got hooked on NASCAR. "Rubbin's Raisin".

When I personally got into NASCAR, I'd think about Taqu'il's quick descent into obsessive fandom a lot. I'd also say "Look - Junior's makin' a move!" at every possible opportunity. (Frisky Dingo: Ahead of the curve on really letting Killer Mike loose.)

Also, the two episodes of the Xtacles spinoff were good, even without Adam Reed's input. It gave us the concept of the Bon Jovi Friday!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

precision posted:

Has Riverdale gotten super crazy yet? The pilot was pretty good.

There have been revelations of multi-generational blood feuds based around maple syrup farming, all played with deadly seriousness. Skeet Ulrich has been recurring as Jughead's dad, the leader of the town biker gang.

It's a great bad show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

Wasn't that also the big thing for them like 10 years ago, the last time they were scrambling for talent?

10 years ago their strategy was "Give like half a dozen comedians hybrid stand-up/sketch shows and pray like hell we recapture that Chappelle's Show lightning in a bottle"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

Yeah but they also had Tough Crowd, Chocolate News and whatever the hell that thing was with D.L. Hughley. I wanna say there was at least one other "news" type show that I can't think of at the moment, not including Onion Sportsdome which was actually good.

"DL Hughley Breaks the News" was never on my radar, but it was at CNN. Crossballs had a political slant, and Onion Sportsdome (one of the greatest shows CC ever manged to fumble their way into airing, before immediately kicking to the curb) was replaced by Sports Show with Norm McDonald.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The production company behind it apparently has a ton of projects in development but nothing broadcast yet (Except for "Ice," a drama about the diamond business on...AT&T's Audience Network, which I just learned about.) Still, being stewarded by the producers of the 2012 movie is encouraging. (The involvement of the former head of programming for Syfy...more of a mixed bag.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

Our long national nightmare is finally over! Last Man Standing has been canceled.

Huh. I thought for sure the current political climate would've ensured at least FOUR MORE YEARS of the lovely old Boomer/ex-coke dealer delivering 22 minute parables about what's wrong with lovely entitled idiot liberal kids these days.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Spoke too soon. It was canceled today along with Son of Zorn and APB.

Awww, dammit. Son of Zorn getting cancelled probably means more Johnny Pemberton as Bo on Superstore :(

Freakin' Bo. A character that would've felt dated 20 years ago.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It was definitely politics, and had nothing to do with the fact that it was a show that had already hit that sweet syndication deal, was pulling in 7 million viewers on a good week, and was almost certainly looking at increased costs entering a 7th season.

MiddleOne posted:

How the hell did Tim Allen still have a sit-com in 2017, what the gently caress.

It was ABC's attempt to get in on that "god drat millennials, I miss the good old days" formula that works so well for CBS.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Brother Entropy posted:

still less dumb than fox's new shazam show

Academy Award Winner Jamie Foxx

He must be a monster to work with, right? Or he's got terrible management.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bull3964 posted:

I thought I heard recently that the new head of MTV was cleaning house on scripted content and doubling down on reality. That could be the reason.

There's that, and the fact that Spike is soon becoming the general audiences Paramount Network (Yes, they're still chasing that dream, 40 years and one UPN later.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ABC murder time:

Imaginary Mary

I am amazed that this wasn't cancelled halfway through the pilot and replaced with, I dunno, an episode of Shark Tank already in progress.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mu Zeta posted:

Aziz does worship italian food. I bet he did a similar trip in real life.

Based on Eric Wareheim's Instagram, I think they did the entire episode so they could get paid to eat insane Italian food for like two weeks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Kinda surprised that 2 Broke Girls was cancelled, but according to Deadline CBS wasn't getting any sweet sweet mailbox money like everybody else involved was as part of the syndication deals (That said, they got their payday 5 years ago when TBS paid $1.7 mil per ep for the cable rights.)

I only recently actually watched the show, owing to the fact that I was bored, it was on and I ditched cable a while ago so my options were limited. The episode was about the Broke Girls having to do their taxes, so they went to a "trendy" "millennial" tax firm where a guy who would've been overplaying "stoned idiot" if he went in for a Harold and Kumar 4 audition tried to get the Broke Girls to count everything in their lives as a deduction. The jokes were lazy and everything was scripted to appeal to an audience who hadn't actually interacted with a young person in the last decade, but after 30 seconds of watching Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs running around in those outfits and routinely, casually pawing at each other I instantly knew that if this show had been on the air when I was a teenager, it would have been my favorite show, I would have planned my entire LIFE around when the local CW affiliate scheduled the reruns. In that instant I knew how it had been on the air for 6 years and where the viewer numbers were coming from.

lelandjs posted:

[Another edit: gently caress me, CBS is moving forward with Young Sheldon. :suicide:]

They're not "moving forward" with it - Young Sheldon got a straight-to-series order.

:suicide: Buzungur! :suicide:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
(He kept saying "Turlet")

Mu Zeta posted:

Damon Lindelof learned from his mistakes on Lost and they don't have to pump out 20+ episodes per season

Honestly I feel like Lindelof just became so bitter after the reception to the Lost finale that he said "You fuckers want a series with answers, how about a series predicated on the idea that there are literally no answers"

And, dammit, it worked

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rocksicles posted:

I don't understand Eric Andre. I doubt i ever will.

Eric Andre is Space Ghost reborn.

He's a self-absorbed, self-important talk show host who hates hosting a talk show, perpetually frustrated at being upstaged by his sidekick.

raditts posted:

I liked Eric Andre in DTTB and Man Seeking Woman but his show on adult swim seems way too tryhard to be wacky crazy monkeycheese poo poo. It just makes me miss SBC2C, a talk show parody that was actually funny.

The Eric Andre Show's chaos is designed and prepared to frustrate and/or frighten the guests. They cut something like half an hour of interview down to a few minutes for the show.

precision posted:

Yeah but even as irony it's still a dumb name for a show, and I want Eric Andre to succeed.

Seems like it's' going to be Beckles' Totally 4 Teens, Take 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z375WQ9xU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bring back old gbs posted:

Eric Andre takes full advantage of the fact that most people/their agents will just book a talk show appearance without ever looking in to what it is, or what they'll be doing, or if its even a real show.

Which is how we got the story about Lauren Conrad's management calling the show after she ran out of the interview, ranting about how they'd blacklist his name and nobody would ever work with him again...and then a few days later grudgingly calling to confirm Jimmy Kimmel's booking, as he was also their client, knew the game and demanded to be booked on the show.

Like all good shock comedians, though, success is the show's ultimate downfall. Andre's relatively high profile now (Hannibal even more so) and I don't know how much longer they can rope in dupes to take the ride.
As long as we get one more appearance from Reese Witherspoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0JWJ_LDb8

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How many episodes until it's just McFarlane in the Ten Forward analogue doing his unironic lounge lizard routine?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snak posted:

I'm starting Leftovers instead. I've never been particularly interested in it, but this forum raves about it, so...

Just...stick with it. Season 1 is rough in patches - it suffers from a few too many thuddingly obvious visual metaphors, and some find the Guilty Remnant scenes interminable - but good overall; Season 2 meanwhile is transcendent television.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DivisionPost posted:

BTW, ER is responsible for "Hell or High Water," one of the best episodes of television ever produced. When people say that ER made George Clooney, they're talking about that episode.

That episode was so powerful, like some kind of televised singularity, that I saw it during its original broadcast despite never watching the show before or for many, many years afterward. I hadn't even seen an ad or anything to pique my interest, I was simply...compelled, at age 11, to say "Huh wonder what's going on tonight on ER."

(Fast forward eight seasons, the episode that got me to start watching ER? Romano's second encounter with the helicopter. No clue why I watched it, but then I was in. "This is compelling...and ridiculous. And it's got Donal Logue!")

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shageletic posted:

Seven Days in Hell was one of the funniest things to come out that year.

SWEDISH

It just popped up as a "Recommended" selection for me on the HBO Now app the other day, I assume because they're trying to build hype for this special. I had forgotten how riotously funny it was, and it wasted no time in reminding me.

I wonder if Dolph Lundgren's role in Tour de Pharmacy will be once again consigned to repurposed interview clips, subtitled with details on his wonderful experience in Swedish men's prison.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Period pieces are expensive and period pieces filled with classic 70s music even more so.

Found an old Deadline article that mentions Netflix paying for global exclusivity rights pushed that up by like $5 mil per episode alone.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

He also said that the new show is going to be serialized and that Disney is letting them use everything from the Disney Afternoon aside from Chip and Dale so the show's mythology is also going to include references to Gummy Bears and Tale Spin.

Did he explain why C&D was off-limits? I assume it has to do with that one being set in the "real world," so to speak. Which I guess also puts walking punchline Bonkers out of contention.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bull3964 posted:

H264 and H265 with all of the variable bitrate witchcraft that Netflix uses at 5.5mbps for 1080p just stomps the poo poo out of the low bitrate garbage that the MSOs pass off as TV.

Since I ditched cable I have been very impressed with just how good digital over-the-air transmission looks. Except for all the times when it doesn't work at all. (That reminds me that I need to go watch the 5 minutes of the Riverdale finale I missed when I completely lost signal and couldn't pick up either of the CW affiliates I live between.)

X-O posted:

This is almost certainly the reason. Also Thank God on that last one. Everyone always remembers the good ones but the poo poo like Bonkers always gets forgotten. That's another reason I have reservations. They couldn't even keep the timeless quality going back then. poo poo like Bonkers and Goof Troop and Quack Pack were almost horribly dated at the time they were made much less now.

"Hey, why the hell are we wasting time with stuff like The Schnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show when we could just leverage some of the hugely successful film IP we've recently created (And, uh, that hockey team we just bought?)"

Fast forward two years and between WB affiliates no longer needing to license their kid's programming/other independent networks having to dump their kid's show budgets into fulfilling their E/I broadcast requirements, and the fact that nobody wanted to watch new adventures of Pocahontas or the Hunchback of Notre Dame five days a week, and it's RIPs Disney Afternoon.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Balloo the Bear as 1930s bush pilot" was too much of a "Huh?" thing for me as a kid

Somehow I didn't piece that together, despite the biplanes and the costuming and the art deco set designs, until an episode ended on a "Radio with pictures?! It'll never work!" joke. At which point I had that exact same "Hey, this is set in the...wait...huh?" moment.

Also I didn't like Baloo, or the obnoxious "totally cool audience surrogate" kid bear. TaleSpin was one of those shows I put up with for 30 minutes, until the good thing came on.

I don't really care about Ducktales or Animaniacs. I want a Freakazoid reboot.

It would definitely have to be an "adult" reboot, because Freakazoid had the power of the The Internet. Fun and nebulous in 1995, in 2017 (Oh, God, the concept of Freakazoid is old enough to drink) that would just mean he would be a white power ultra-perv rear end in a top hat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

raditts posted:

The gently caress? I don't even know what a "darker, more mature" Speed Racer would look like. Speed Racer is about a kid who races cars with his family and a monkey as his pit crew and frequently other cars explode during the races. The movie had all those things and more. What else would you need?

https://twitter.com/GreenGiant_es/status/575008266083778562

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Huh...those reruns used to finish within the top 10 for any given night. It would appear that ratings reports stopped including syndicated shows/repeats, because looking at a wide variety of sources I see no AS at all, nor do I see Big Bang Theory repeats on TBS, which are (obviously) some of the consistently highest-rated programs on cable television.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

try the new taco place posted:

Speaking of shows for idiots, Kevin Can Wait has let go Erin Hayes (the wife, mother of his kids, etc) for Leah Remini (former cop partner that hates him).

That is ridiculous, even for a lazy CBS multicam. I don't watch, but I did catch a scene with Remini in it a few weeks ago and thought "Wow, they're so desperate for ratings that they're already playing the King of Queen reunion card, huh?"

Also that really sucks for Erin Hayes. I hope she got a nice payout. On the plus side, she doesn't have to work in Long Island anymore.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Lost's ending was fine, by the end of 6 seasons of...all the crazy poo poo that went down, I really didn't need any explanation for most of the mystical stuff beyond "The Island is Special."

The home stretch revelation of what really drew them to the Island, however...I was fully onboard for it, and that story developed organically enough for me as it aired, but I suspect that rewatching it knowing the endgame/seeing it in a binge for the first time highlights a myriad of flaws early on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Cylons have a plan*

*citation needed

LISTEN: Their plan was so good, so intricate, even they couldn't understand it well enough to see it through successfully.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember all those Lost copycats from the mid- to late-2000s that were predicated on having a mysterious mythology story arc but never got resolved because none of them lasted?

I remember an NBC ad where a group of totally real, hip young people people (definitely NOT actors from central casting) excitedly described the network's new lineup. According to them, Surface was just like "A new Spielberg movie, every week!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never watched BSG and I think it's the only big spaceship series I haven't.

You should rectify that; there are some narrative stumbles in the home stretch but it's compulsively watchable throughout. It's also stealthily a great political drama.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Terra Nova's greatest problem was that the future depicted in the pilot was infinitely more interesting than the boring dino past/alternate dimension/whatever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

IRQ posted:

There was another one too, I can't quite remember it but it was the only one I like at all. I think it started with an E, but it wasn't the Event? It was the same season as Invasion. Now this is bugging me.

Threshold? That was CBS' attempt at a serial genre series.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

-Blackadder- posted:

It's interesting, it seems like Lost really did start a pretty big wave of sci-fi serial drama.

Lost and Desperate Housewives were the breakout hits of the 04-05 season, and for the next few years everybody was trying their hands at high-concept serialized mystery dramas and soaps (Including ABC, who weren't content to rest on those successes.) Then you had the shows that tried to split the difference, like The Nine, which created a mystery of "What happened to those nine ordinary people during that bank robbery" then stretched it out as long and as thin as possible, and Fox's Reunion, the soap/murder mystery where every episode took place one year after the previous.

Iron Crowned posted:

JJ Abrams has had a lot of those, I think Fringe was the only one that lasted more than one season. RIP Almost Human

I think JJ Abrams will take a meeting with any production team with a sci-fi pitch in development, gleefully slap his name on it for profit participation, and then not really give a poo poo. His "brand" should be toxic by this point, at least as far as television is concerned. (Almost Human got really good as the season went on and I was pretty eager to see where the whole "John Laroquette turning evil and going over that mysterious wall" thing was going to go, but alas.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's interesting to read in Disney War how those shows came out and they were massive successes all over the world but Michael Eisner (who was on the way out anyway) hated them.

Eisner also turned down Survivor because he ABC already had Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and he was convinced that it would be a number-one megahit forever.

"Huh, what did Eisner do after Disney...?"

In 2009, Eisner used his own money to produce a claymation show called Glenn Martin, DDS.

Yep. Nothing could make more sense.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Josh Lyman posted:

Watch the first season of The Killing then kill yourself because jfc the show runner hosed up.

Jesus, don't even watch that. That show went putrid not even halfway through S1, but I said "Well, they told me this season's case would be self contained, might as well stick it out." After hours upon hours of Seattle's worst detectives profiling an Arabian teacher and bungling their way into compromising a major FBI operation, I got a wet fart of a reveal (The aunt pushed the car into the lake, without knowing the girl was in the trunk? Oh, and they were BOTH high end call girls?) and a bunch of completely unengaging hooks for the next season.

I think The Killing was the moment the wheels came off the "AMC is the new home of prestige television" narrative. Turns out Mad Men and Breaking Bad really were flukes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

X-O posted:

I guess Gong Show is just going to lean hard really into being trainwreck TV.

So, staying true to its roots as The Gong Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJHKVQ2kLA

Rhyno posted:

Because he's been trying to get another Wayne's World or Austin Powers film going for close to 10 years and nobody wants anything to do with either property anymore.

If two and a half decades of showbiz scuttlebutt and juice goose are to be believed - and they always are - I think nobody wants anything to do with Mike Myers anymore. (The Love Guru's box office probably didn't help things.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Timby posted:

I think I mentioned this when it was first announced, but it's an insanely stupid gag that makes about as much sense as Paul Reubens playing a fake host on the You Don't Know Jack TV show from like fifteen years ago.

Oh my God, that was 16 years ago. Which is how old I was when it aired :( Anyhow, in Reubens' case it made some modicum of sense. Throw on a stupid wig and a loud suit, anything to help people forget the last time they probably saw him:

Reubens and Myers are both the kinds of guys who only seem comfortable when they're being anyone other than themselves. That probably plays into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure if they're worth seeking out. I'm more familiar with what they're parodying now than I would have been then (James Bond mainly but also every single ITC adventure show Lew Grade produced in the 1960s but especially Peter Wyngarde as Jason King).

The first one's probably worth it, if you still have a soft spot for that particular brand of 90's broad, goofy comedies...the second, not so much, especially as you've seen Goldmember. You already know how up its own rear end the series got by the end; The Spy Who Shagged Me is like 75% as self-satisfied, and like 50% the same jokes.

• Locked thread