Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Donald Glover got two Emmys for Atlanta!!!!! Life is good!!!!!

Handmaid's Tale though, REALLY? ah well Glover yay!!!!!

The Handmaid's Tale I thought deserved it, but overall I didn't find the nominees that impressive (House of Cards? Urg. Westworld? I like, but it has lots of quality issues). The Crown and Better Call Saul are the only other shows on the list that I thought deserved to be there.

That said super happy for Glover, but Veep shouldn't of beaten Atlanta or Master of None for best comedy. Also happy for Moss, but too bad Carry Coon was nominated for The Leftovers.

Escobarbarian posted:

Preacher season 2 is even worse and more disappointing than the first. I seriously can't express my frustration with the show enough.

What makes Preacher season 2 worse is how great it starts out. The first couple of episodes is the show at its peak, but once they got to NOLA the show did nothing but frustration. Also what a lame finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Snak posted:

I thought every episode of JJ was good and don't think it had any pacing issues.

I thought 90% of the episodes of JJ were bad, and making 8 episodes wouldn't of help.

Lycus posted:

A bad/good/mediocre 13 episode show would've been a bad/good/mediocre 8 episode show because it's the same people writing it. People regularly say the same thing in reverse too.

Yep. I use to think that you could fix JJ, but it just wasn't good no matter the length.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vegetable posted:

I liked the Handmaid's Tale but it was not the best show on TV this year

People's brains getting all twisted up by Trump

Curious which one of the nominees or shows you think were better? I didn't think any of the nominees were better, but I haven't watched BCS yet. We know that shows like The Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire are not going to get a nod (which is sad). I can't think of anything that stands out enough for me to agree with you.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 19, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

STAC Goat posted:

I always find it funny that I pay attention to the hype around shows initially when they premiere or get a lot of attention, but then I tend to avoid them if I'm not watching so I always miss the point where opinion changes.

So I totally missed the part where Handmaid's Tale went from "OMG, THIS IS AMAZING!" to "eh, there's better and it could have ended better."

I'm also experiencing that right now as I binge Orphan Black which I remember having a TON of hype years ago but apparently I missed all the "its getting convoluted and weird and I quit the show" stuff I'm now experiencing first hand.

Same here. I just binged it last week, and walked away like this might be the best thing drama wise I've watched in 2017 outside of The Leftovers. I had no hype outside of my love for Moss and I read the book years ago.

That said I honestly believe there are currently no truly prestige dramas airing in 2017. Nothing that is up there with a Mad Men, The Wire, and so on. Maybe David Simon's new show will be, but I haven't watched it yet. I do label Master of None and Atlanta as prestige television, but they are not dramas.

Also to be clear I haven't watched BCS which I've heard great things about, but I have watched almost every other show that gets bounced around as the best of TV.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Westworld was bangin and way better than Handmaid's Tale even if it isn't at must-see prestige level yet

That is where I disagree. I liked Westworld, but it had ton more problems than Handmaid's Tale. It didn't even make my top 10 last year. I know its all subjective...

Still I am looking forward more to season 2 of WW than Handmaid's Tale. I feel like there is a good chance that many of my issues with WW can be fixed in season 2, while I could see the Handmaid's Tale getting worse as it leaves it's source material.

I actually thought Handmaid's Tale was a mini-series like 11/22/63, and was surprised when I found out it was coming back (which I did right after I watched the 8th episode).

FactsAreUseless posted:

BCS is way better than Breaking Bad and it annoys me that it gets so much less attention.

I am planning to correct this before the end of the year. I loved Breaking Bad, and keep hearing people say this.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 19, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

What was Legion if not a prestige drama? Not to mention Patriot, Better Call Saul and hell, American Gods.

Hmmm Legion could be, I would consider it on the cusp. I should of mentioned it. I enjoyed American Gods, but I would put it on that level of Legion or Handmaid's Tale.

Halt & Catch Fire I would put up there too, but I know I am one of the few that would.

LionArcher posted:

Westworld and Stranger things are better

I disagree, but I will say I thought Stranger Things was better than WW.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 19, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

I think Patriot was overall a better show than Handmaid's Tale, but it's a real apples and oranges situation.

I've seen it, and it's fantastic

Not seen Patriot, but I do have Amazon Prime. I will give it a spin now starting tonight (I need a new binge watch).

JFC can be frustrating by time you get done with it. Still many of the episodes are great, and a shame they didn't do a season 2. I can also see why someone would hate it.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 19, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched Carnivale as it originally aired. Season 1's pacing was too slow, and season 2 was almost too fast in comparison. I would imagine binge watching the show instead of week to week that pacing issues of season 1 might not be as noticeable.

That said I loved Carnivale, and was greatly disappointed that the story wasn't ever finished. Also the miner episode in season 1 was one of the most horrifying episodes of television I ever watched.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok I watched the first episode of Patriot tonight. I went in completely blind (there wasn’t a trailer), and told my wife it was about a Russian detective (sorry got it confused with another show). Well as soon we got to him playing a folk song in Amsterdam I knew the show was for us. It is now our new binge.

Also is the actual Russian detective show any good?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Make it then

John from Cincinnati episode 6 is holy poo poo incredible. I doubt the series is gonna top John’s cookout speech, but that was worth the 10-hour watch alone. Amazing television.

I didn't remember the episode number, but I knew exactly what episode you was talking about when you said 'holy poo poo incredible'. After that episode aired, for that one moment in time I thought JFC was the best show on television.

But yeah that is the peak.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hi friends, is there a place to discuss the Great British Baking Show in here?

You might want to also check out Grand Design. It is a British show about house building and renovations. It is not like it's American counterparts at all.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 20, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Putting a streaming show not on Netflix is just incredibly annoying. Most people have no idea what the hell Handmaid's tale or Transparent are.

I like the direction AppleTV is going with the ability to put a lot of your streaming library under one app (TV App). That said it sucks that it doesn't access Netflix (and I don't think it ever will). Still having the ability to browse stuff like HBO, Showtime, Hulu, and others in one place is cool. I wonder if the new Amazon app will work with the their TV library app?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As someone who saw New Hope in theater back in 77 (I was 4), let me tell you about this thing called nostalgia that can be powerful than quality...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

what was the cylons plan

Due to the recommendation of this thread to watch Patriot, I finally understand why you have Bobby from SoA in your avatar.

I am still in the middle of my binge, but my only question is how did I miss this show when it was released? Did Amazon not push it? I saw it listed before, but it was in the middle of bunch of other shows that looked like poo poo. I was texting a couple of friends to tell them they have to check this show out, and everyone of them was like 'never heard of it' despite them watching things on Amazon. This is seriously one of the best things I've watched this year.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok thanks guys. I now want to ask people at work if they are a McMillan Man.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok 6 episodes in and Patriot is not only the most original show of 2017, but it might be the best. Before I would of said Master of None or Atlanta, but this might surpass both of them.

Still would I give it the Emmy for best drama? It is really hard to call it a pure drama, because it is funny as hell. That said if it was actually nominated for best drama along with my favorite dramas like The Leftovers, Halt & Catch Fire, or Handmaid's Tale I would have no issue with any of those 4 winning.

But deep down inside I think Handmaid's Tale would be a the bottom of those 4. The Leftovers and Halt I would want to win over it, because these are great shows coming to their end that I feel never got the respect or viewers they deserved. Patriot is a new show that I want to see not only renewed for several seasons, but I want it to get the viewers it deserves. So while it is all apples and oranges, give the best of 2017 to Patriot (unless it fucks up the remaining episodes).

I want to talk people about this show, but no loving one watches it. Urg...I had to stop watching it tonight cause I'm drunk.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

On episode 5 of Ozark and it still isn't that much better than average. What was with all the raving about it? Does the second half of the season improve a bunch?

If it hasn't caught you by episode 5, good chance it never will. While I wouldn't call it A+ TV, I really enjoyed it (even by episode 5)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just caught up on Halt & Catch Fire. That episode reminded me a lot of my username and a certain episode from the last season of that show.

Finished Patriot last night. Thanks to all that told me about my new favorite show.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
[quote="“raditts”" post="“476993201”"]
GBS has been a fetid shithole for years now so this comes as no surprise
[/quote]

Make GBS Great Again (never going to happen).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

Outcast season 2 is good but then it ends on a cliffhanger then it gets canceled

Is this ever going to air on Cinemax? Between how bad they done this show and stupidly canceling Quarry wtf are hey thinking over there.

At least they got Banshee right.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Counterpoint: season 4 was loving terrible and made me actively angry.

While I agree season 4 was a letdown, it never made me angry.

I think the only show to make me angry was Six Feet Under. Now this is one of my favorite shows of all-time, but around season 4 I became really angry with the show. This angry really peaked after episode 3 of that season when they tricked me into thinking that what I called the 'Lisa Problem' was over. This was due to Nate burning his bedding (during what is one of the best scenes of the show and bonus points for the use Radiohead's Lucky) and moving back into the house. But what happen the next episode? A psychic tells Nate Lisa is still alive. Shoot me now!. It goes downhill from there. This is a shame, because I love the first 3 seasons (also the season 3 finale was amazing). Season 5 wasn't bad (it really returned to form in the second half of the season and I changed my username on here right after Nate died that season), but season 4 is such a ugly season for a really good show.

Sorry for SFU rant. I haven't watched it since it originally aired on HBO. Maybe on a rewatch my mind will change.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MiddleOne posted:

I just got the entire show to watch (and trust me it's paining me to avoid reading your spoilers while writing this reply) and now I'm not so sure if I want to anymore.

Do not read them please (major season 5 spoiler in there). My complaint overall is a minor one, and if you binge watch the series season 4 may not seem that bad. Remember when I watched it when it aired which can make issues more frustrating, because you have to wait a week or even a year for the next season. Also my mother and her husband watched it last year for the first time, and they had no issues really. So watch it.

I didn't make my user name Nate Fisher, because I didn't like the show (I loved it). The show is great, it is just not perfect. I actually miss it.

Escobarbarian posted:

Six Feet Under is a good show if you like watching shitheads yell at each other

Watched the latest This Is Us and drat Kate u a idiot

This Is Us doesn't come close to Six Feet Under. It is such middle of the road.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 4, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

Alan Ball's got a new HBO show next year, which is meant to be similar to his work on Six Feet Under. (And not his work on True Blood). I'm excited.

That's good to hear. After True Blood and Banshee it is good to see him go back to a show that is a little bit deeper.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Josh Lyman posted:

Hunt for Red October is the only good Jack Ryan movie.

Hmmm...I would say the only great movie, because the one with Ned Stark was good (which haven't seen since it was in the theaters, so I could be wrong).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Do you think Catholic actors are similarly culpable

I've professed my love of Moss on here and even to my dear wife, but it is disgusting that she is member of a cult. That said I feel like most religions are disgusting. So I will answer your question with a big fat yes. If someone is an acting Catholic or Baptist (which is mostly what I deal with in the South) it is disgusting. They are culpable for supporting the vile hate and division of their religion. It is one of the many reasons we hate people like Kirk Cameron.

You actually made me feel even more disgusted by love of Moss. Call me Elizabeth please. I will rescue you from that cult.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Fair enough.

Spielberg's bringing back Amazing Stories. The one with the B-17 belly gunner trapped under the plane has stuck with me my entire life.

I wonder what Apple's plan is. A new streaming service? For AppleTV users? Apple Music subscription bonus? For sale on just iTunes?

That said I was like 15 when the original aired, and I also have never forgotten the episode about the belly gunner.

Edit: I just realized Bryan Fuller is attached. Hell yes.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Apple TV dog. We use that as our platform since we don't have a cable box.

Every TV in my house has an AppleTV, but my daughter's (which has a FireTV). So that is one reason why I am curious what the deal is.

Also no one cares, but I saw Run the Jewels last night. I'm in a super good mood this morning despite having right under 5 hours of sleep.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

Nope, I don't have any desire to spend $179 on another streaming device that does everything else worse than my Roku just for one TV show.

PS Vue on Roku is POS.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

All of the OTT streaming providers are poo poo honestly, not something I use anyways.

PS Vue overall is good. Its their app on Roku that is POS. I tried all Roku 4K, Fire 4K, and an AppleTV 4th generation last April. I thought the Roku was the worst box. I hated the OS, and some of their apps (which is not their fault) were not at the same level of AppleTV or Amazon. For example on the PS Vue you couldn't do live TV with guide on Roku while you could on every other box. Interface preference is one thing (while I find AppleTV's interface the best overall, they all need work), but the lack of functionality on that one app ruined Roku for me.

Edit: Actually I would defend PS Vue. It's not poo poo at the current price. No issues, nice interface, DVR works well, and so on. It is good as Comcast was, and for a cheaper price. That said I am talking about the Apple and Amazon version of the app, not the awful Roku one (which I hoped they finally updated?).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 11, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I finally watched the Halt & Catch Fire season finale. I feel a real sense of sadness letting these characters go (like I did with shows like Mad Men or Six Feet Under). I could spend 4 more seasons checking in on these characters, but I am thankful for the 4 I got. Of all TWD garbage that AMC has put out recently, it is a shame how under watched this show was. Along with The Leftovers it might be my favorite series since Mad Men.

Man what a great year of TV so far. Patriot, The Leftovers, Legion, The Handmaid's Tale, Master of None, Halt & Catch Fire, GLOW, Love, and so on.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I feel like The Wire got better every season until season 5.

Edit: Also I don't think Halt & Catch Fire got better with every season. Overall I would say the quality is even from season 2 to 4.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 16, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

esperterra posted:

w/r/t (HaCF stuff. it's only been two days, I'ma spoil dis poo poo) Donna's speech near the end, I hated it, it was the one black mark on the episode for me. Not because of its contents or anything, but it was long, came out of nowhere and ground the episode to a halt imo.

If they had spent even five minutes this season-- or five seconds this episode!-- establishing that Donna throws these cocktail parties for the ladies of tech and business then I wouldn't care. Maybe they were trying to say something about her changing for the better and being less selfish in her job, or something, but it just felt weird and out of place.

The moment where Cam and her have a laugh about Haley being gay was awesome, though, that felt very real to me and not heavy handed at all. Reminded me of when I came out and my family just went 'lol we know'.

e: the Haley stuff was great in general, heartbreaking as some of it was. That poo poo was my teen lesbian experience down to the Veruca Salt.

It didn't bother me at all. I do agree with the critics that Joe's ending shouldn't have been the final scene. Instead ending it on the Donna/Cam 'I have an idea' would have been better. I do get why they ended it where it started. Also it is weird to think of Joe in season 4 vs season 1. You can tell they had a big change of direction given the issues people had with season 1. I wonder what the plan was originally for show overall?
That said making Donna and Cam just as important as everyone else in season 2 made this show a lot better.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
One thing I do like about CBC All Access is the no commercial tier. What I would of given for AMC to have a no commercial tier back when they had good shows.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

esperterra posted:

It's pretty loving funny, though.

e: of course Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is one of the CW shows Netflix doesn't have rights to in Canada. I wonder if it's on my On Demand ... been meaning to watch it forever.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is one of those shows I liked at the first, but by time I binged to the start of season 2 it wore me out. I still keep telling myself to go back and finish season 2, but then I remember Josh Chan and I go watch something else. I don't think I will ever make it back.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched the season 2 premiere of Riverdale instead of The Good Place. I am an idiot. Riverdale season 1 is bad, but in a charming way that makes it fun to watch. That said if season 2 premiere was my first exposure to Riverdale I never would of watched another episode. It was just awful lovely TV

As a cord cutter with PS Vue, I am happy to discover that you can download apps like CW or NBC (which both are not on my PS Vue sub) to your AppleTV (or whatever you have), and watch shows when you want. It is like a DVR where you can't skip the commercials.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

raditts posted:

I thought it was pretty bad. I watched season 1 on netflix on the back of all the goon praise, and it's pretty much another bog-standard CW white-kids-with-problems high school drama, except the characters have the names of Archie characters. Even the season arc mystery wound up lame as hell.

Yes season 1 was bad. It felt like a failed attempt at trying to combine Archie with Twin Peaks. That said it was done so bad, that it was almost like they knew it was bad. Tongue in cheek. Also you had characters like Cheryl who vamped it up to 10. For me it was break from peak TV (it is the farthest thing from peak TV).

That said season 2 premiere, it just couldn't find it's footing on either side of the line. It tried to do a near death dream type sequence that just flopped on its face. See if you combine all that fake seriousness with a line from Josie & the Pussycats about giving away one of their 9 lives, it doesn't work. Also it was pretty boring.

Ugh who am I fooling it was crap last year, and I just pretended like it wasn't so I could have something dumb to watch.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Looking back on it now, Six Feet Under is pretty much just a soap opera

Yes, but if you are comparing the quality of SFU (even at season 4) to Riverdale you lost me. Not even close.

True Blood might be the closest to Riverdale season 1. That said season 2 so far is more like last season True Blood than it’s prime.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
That’s just my gut reaction to the first 2 episodes. That said I will give it the whole season before I really judge it. I was into season 1 from the first episode, this one not so far.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would add s

Popelmon posted:

Is 2017 the best year in TV ever? Patriot, The Leftovers, The Deuce, Handmaid's Tale, maybe Mr. Robot S3, Ken Burns Vietnam War...

I would add Halt & Catch Fire and Master of None to that list of peak TV. It would be really hard to pick a best show, but it would either be Halt or Patriot for me. Also shows like GLOW and Love are right under there.

I still haven’t watched Deuce yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it creeps towards my best of once I do.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

zoux posted:

Speaking of CBS All Access, I'm reading that even in the no-ad tier, they still interrupt the shows to show promos of other CBS shows? With the international licensing deal, is there a chance the show goes to Netflix in the US after the season finishes?

I have only watched the first 2 episodes of the new Trek, but I have never seen an ad with that tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

I would say that Big Bang Theory hasn't suffered from bringing a babby into the mix, but most of you loathe that show and I am perfectly willing to admit that it's not that great even though I do watch it.

BBT instead suffered from bringing Bernadette into the mix. Actually making Bernadette & Amy full cast members made the show unwatchable. Before it was my mindless TBS rerun watch right before bed. It was never good, but for some reason I watched it (like you I admit it). That said I can't watch any episodes with B & A as full cast members. Funny Amy wasn't that bad at first, but they changed her character so much it is not even the same character anymore.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread