Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the one that ran through the annuals of Hulk, All New X-Men, and Spock. Spock gave some advice to the time displaced X-Men and it was the only time I ever really liked them.

RevKrule posted:

Everyone knows the only good annuals were the ones from that year that Marvel decided that every single one needed a new character. Complete with polybagging and trading cards.

It gave us such great characters as X-Cutioner, Bloodwraith, Wildstreak, Darkling and Cadre. It also gave us the best character in comics, ADAM X!

DC did that too, with the Bloodpack(iirc?). The only lasting impression any of them made was that Ennis made fun of the guy who could turn anything into a gun in Hitman One Million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

The good guys win when a bunch of super geniuses invent a new element, and Magneto's ignorance of it means he can't control it and they use it to punch him in the face. It's highly unstable though, so whoever wears the Infinitum Gauntlet is sacrificing themselves to the incredible radiation. Nobody who is immune to radiation volunteers because every event needs a body count.

Like Fallout 3!

One of the neat things Irredeemable did was reveal that the evil Superman's powers were actually reality warping on a grand scale and he was only "restricted" to Superman powers because he didn't realize this.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reed Richards would confront him with a wooden gun, and it would leave Magneto so spiritually and mentally broken he agrees to come quietly.

God, I loving love that whole sequence.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Superman is exactly as resistant to mind-control/telepath as any other strong-willed individual.

Remember when Max Lord had control of him right before Infinite Crisis, even then he wasn't really in full control so much as making him see things different than they were. (I want to say he had him believing Wonder Woman was Doomsday?)

That happened in an episode of Justice League, too. Superman and Wonder Woman had a brutal, kind of scary fight before they saw each other in a mirror and realized what was going on.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the earliest story where magic is explicitly identified as something Superman can't defend against? Further to that, when did magic become an explicit "weakness" for him (i.e. "the only things that can stop Superman are kryptonite, red sun radiation and magic") rather than just something he was no more invulnerable to than any normal person?

If you see a story where Superman is flat out weak to magic and not just something that affects him like it effects everyone else, that's just bad, inconsistent writing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wizard calculated Superman<Thor<Silver Surfer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe no one has mentioned his magnum opus, Batman: Fortunate Son.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

The last time he wrote for either of the Big 2 seems to be for DC in 2003. Seems most of his Big 2 was for DC on Green Lantern related stuff. And this doesn't really hurt anyone's rep but his.

This is like that time when an extra on an episode of Power Rangers was arrested and the media acted like it was a beloved main cast member. Wake me when it's Bendis or someone like that.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 7, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

He wasn't exactly an 'extra.' His Wikipedia looks scrubbed. I'm sure it had full credits last time I looked him up.

I remembered the time the Wild Force Red Ranger killed his roommate(self defense, it seemed), but I was talking about this like...burgler, I think? It was awhile ago.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

I meant Gerard Jones isn't the equivalent of an extra.
More like the dad from 7th Heaven?

Oh, right. Well yeah, it was a bit of hyperbole, but still, I'm not gonna care that much if it's someone who's work I have to look up. Not exactly earth shaking.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

END ME SCOOB posted:

You'd better unsell me on this real fast because the last time I heard this I went out and bought the back issues to ill effect.

Buy Bomb Queen instead. Just as bad but more readable.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Having since read it, the stuff posted in the funny panels thread from Captain America #17 were so ridiculously cherry-picked to get outraged about.

Can people think something is dumb and stupid without it being labeled outrage?

...Frank Cho?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Same.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, I didn't read the issue, but I don't know how context could make the pages posted less ridiculous and cringy. Even if it was cherry picked or whatever, what I saw with my own two eyes was pretty dire.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I know. I'm just not a big fan of opening up to strangers.

Neither am I. It'll get easier as it goes, though, if it's a good one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Bobby has always been a douchebag. Now he's a gay douchbag.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Iceman to be played by Milo Yannopoulos.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I knew there was a link between fascism and anime beyond youtube avatars.

Well, he's dressed as entirely the wrong faction.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

James Woods Fan posted:

I just got to the Millar/Quitely part of The Authority run. Should I stop now?

The first arc is good, but the rest is trash. Skip to the next run, which is the best Authority.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edge & Christian posted:

Then he hasn't been a rapist in any of the weird N52/cartoon/etc. versions, so he's really only been a sexual predator for about five years late in his 50+ year existence as a fictional character. It's *probably* something they could politely pave over with enough time/effort.

Yeah, and eventually people will stop calling Hank Pym a wife beater.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edge & Christian posted:

Perpetrators of domestic violence (no need for granularities) in the Marvel Universe:

Hank Pym
Peter Parker
Wolverine
Reed Richards
Susan Storm/Richards
Johnny Storm
Ben Grimm
Clint Barton
Matt Murdock
Tony Stark
Thor Odinson
Luke Cage
probably everyone

The sixties was a different, terrible time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I hate Mark Millar.

Better or worse than Dan Slott?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

I have no loving idea why anyone thought it was a good thing to put in a goddamn Avengers comic, but there you go.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quentin Quire was created by Grant Morrison, though in that run he was completely unlike how he is now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

Kidding. This is just proof that Supes wouldn't tolerate whatever the gently caress it is that America is doing to itself.

That's exactly how we got the Justice Lords. :colbert:

I'm super salty because ever since Trump was elected and Nazis got punched, now everyone wants to dismantle the democratic process in favor of goodness through forced means like I've been saying for ages. I'm like the mythical seer Cassandra, cursed to always be right but never be believed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

Violence is acceptable as a means of excising virulent, existential threats to the common welfare and safety of the people, clear and present dangers to free society, not as a form of enforcing "goodness" or a sustained system of government. Most people who support punching Nazis are also against police brutality and the death penalty. Hth

This isn't really the place to argue it tbh but Trump was elected legally and Richard Spencer was just exercising his right to free speech when he was punched, but when I'm radically opposed to "civil" evil I get called a delusional fascist. I support Nazi punching! Excising virulent existential threats to the common welfare and safety of the people is what I'm all about.

Ergo Judge Dredd is good and cool.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can legally drink in a few months! :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's great Rhyno! Really, good for you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If you or anyone else wants to PM me about this I am super down for discussing it but I don't wanna gently caress up the thread.

Then again January is over so I guess it doesn't matter much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Yes my concern is also the leftist protesters and not the guy who's literally trying to ban Muslims

I'm not sure you're really aware of my position at all. My issue is that protesters haven't been radical enough in their opposition. I have no idea how you got whatever you read into it.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 30, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's this real underrated book from the eighties called Young All-Stars set during WWII that had a Japanese hero quit the team and join her family in a detainment camp in solidarity. Powerful scene. Still relevant. Should try and get my hands on some copies again some time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Yeah its really hard to delineate Nazism, like what if they promote expulsion of certain religions, ethnicities, and sexualities but don't call themselves a Nazi what then

Kill everyone and let Jack Kirby sort'em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My surefire way of coping with the terribleness of the world is helping when I can and otherwise ignoring it as hard as possible, to an almost Stepford Wives degree.

• Locked thread