Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Namtab posted:

Post your new years resolutions in this thread, anime or otherwise.

I need to step up my game in regards to older mecha.

At the very least:

The first arc of Raideen
All of Daltanius

Ideally also:

Finally find time for L-Gaim
Rewatch Ideon with the newer subs

And if I'm really feeling ambitious:

Daitarn 3
and track down the subs for Vifam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
in my Sharky voice Vifam!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Vifam cannot possibly be as good as it's OP suggests.

Granted, that's true for any anime.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not true for all anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vifam is definitely the best show on that list no question.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vifam isn't really my kind of thing but it's pretty cool and there were a few episodes i really liked, and its quality is pretty consistent

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

It's good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm certainly not biased or anything

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My resolution is to finish all the series I started last year:
Yuri on Ice
Fune wo Amu
March Comes Like a Lion
Drifters
Kaiji

But also to read more books

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i think ill watch vifam too
why not

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I should do my resolutions based on multiple units of time.

Every month, I'll...
... finish 1 anime I put on hold, whether it be stuff like Akuma no Riddle (stopped at the last episode), or Re:Zero (stopped halfway through), as long as it wasn't something I dropped.
... update my MAL anime list.

Every season, I'll...
... give at least 3 anime series a try (watch the first episode).
... keep up with and finish 1 anime series.
... start and finish an anime that aired before 2017.
... rewatch an anime I've been meaning to rewatch.

So this year, I'll...
... resume and finish at least 12 on-hold animes. Must include JoJo Part 4, Hibike S2, ReLIFE, and Re:Zero.
... give at least 12 current animes a try.
... follow and finish at least 4 current animes.
... start and finish at least 4 pre-2017 animes. Maybe finally get around to watching K-On!! or whatever.
... rewatch at least 4 animes.
... watch the Granblue Fantasy anime no matter how good or bad it is.
... make sure that at least 2 mecha animes are among the animes I watch.

Luckily, this season is a nice place to start since I'm only super invested in KonoSuba, so I think I'll take it easy and focus on stuff from 2016, like Hibike S2 and JoJo Part 4. Luckily, I just finished Love Live Sunshine so I've got the finish 1 anime thing down.

EDIT: Also cause Namtab is a fan of peer pressure, I'll :toxx: myself for a month probation if I fail to do this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 8, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finally Finished season 1 of Symphogear. After a slow start and a couple of shakey episodes, it consistently remains great....until the last episode.

A lot of people like to complain about Finé having a change of heart at the end, but I actually didn't mind it, though it could definitely have used a minute or two more to make the transition feel more natural, since she literally dropped a piece of the moon not even 2 minutes before in order to kill everyone.

My actual gripe with the last episode was all the sudden rear end pulls for power ups and surviving multiple instances where the heroes should have died. Then to end it with a lazy, hand wave "They dissapered for three weeks, were officially declared dead, but uh, they're alive, and were apparently doing secret things :ssh: " was just bad writing to justify the scene at the beginning of episode 1.

Overall still a very good show when it wants to be, but it definitely fumbles here and there. I give it a high 7/10, missing out on an 8/10 because of the last episode.

Will be watching Symphogear G soon, so stay tuned...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just bumping this so it doesn't fall into archives. I had finished G a couple of months ago, and overall it was good! I'd probably have to do a rewatch of G to give it a definitive ranking in comparison to the first season, because the season had a habit of constantly witholding character motivations and making things look contrived until an episode or two later so that they make sense in retrospect. With that said, the second season has better villains and does flesh out the characters well, and stays more consistent in tone than the previous season did. I also would give this season a 7/10 rating.

Now if I could only motivate myself to finish GX :sweatdrop:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Forgot to mention it here, but finished GX a while ago. Still enjoyed it, but a particularly weak back end made it my least favorite of these three seasons.

Anyways, having given it more thought, my ratings for the seasons are 8/10, 7/10, and 7/10. G probably would have been an 8/10 for me if it didn't feel like a lot of the clifhangers/twists were asspulls/badly conveyed. Still liked all three seasons though, and will watch axz at some point, but I'm free from the toxx.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

anime resolution: translate at least 365 pages of manga

real life resolution: get my teaching certification or a job that makes that unnecessary

I haven't kept count, really, but I've certainly blown past the first goal, and I start the first day of class on Monday, so missions accomplished!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Although the mod is less popular than me as a mod I'm still expecting him to enforce these

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Erg posted:

I'll go with a fun one, watch 15 anime from 2000-2015, I have to do at least one anime from each year. I've missed too many shows while I was busy being a normie

Non anime is make out with more boys this year and floss more

e:fuckit I'll make this a :toxx:

2000: FLCL
2001: R.O.D. OVAs
2004: Paranoia Agent
2006: One Piece Movie 6
2008: Birdy Decode
2009: KnK 7
2011: AnoHana
2012: Girls Und Panzer
2013: Eccentric Family
2014: Ai Mai Mii 2nd Season
2015: Fushigi na Somera-chan

I've still got K-On to watch for 2010, GitS SAC for 2002, and I don't remember what 2003 and 2005 were going to be but I've got them written down somewhere

Boys Kissed: Equal number to last year 1 more boy to go
Flossing: Twice a month, an astounding 100% increase over last year

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

You'd probably kiss a lot more boys if you flossed every day, Erg.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Realistically I'm not going to finish Fune wo Amu or Kaiji this year or any other year.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

i thought it was gonna be baps

:toxx:: get through my notifications list on anidb, which means going through and tagging what i've already seen and watching at least a few episodes of what i haven't (which is most of everything from 2015 and everything from 2016)
Sticking with my theory on Namtab and baps, fyi.

I'm done with my catching up, and there's not even one series so far this year that I've been wanting to watch, so I guess I'm done? Of all the entries on my list, I only ended up fully watching My Love Story!!, Non Non Biyori: Okinawa e Iku Koto ni Natta, and Non Non Biyori Repeat. Maybe I'm done with anime? I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway:

EDIT: Weirdly, Wagnaria!!3 shows up in my to watch list, but not on my notifications list, and I don't have it nor do I remember watching it - so I'll be watching that to complete my task.

2nd EDIT: Owing to a conversation in #letsanime on synirc, I've recalled that I've thought of quitting anims at least 4 other times in the almost two decades since I started watching anims.

3rd EDIT: gently caress this post turned into a mess of editing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 9, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm going to die

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I got my shelf and new avatar but now i have 70 open tabs of manga

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I'm going to die
I thought that too when I got a cancer diagnosis last year, so don't worry, it isn't necesarily true

El Burbo posted:

I got my shelf and new avatar but now i have 70 open tabs of manga
Heh, I don't have an avatar yet - apparently I haven't shitposted enough to deserve it?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Sticking with my theory on Namtab and baps, fyi.

I'm done with my catching up, and there's not even one series so far this year that I've been wanting to watch, so I guess I'm done? Of all the entries on my list, I only ended up fully watching My Love Story!!, Non Non Biyori: Okinawa e Iku Koto ni Natta, and Non Non Biyori Repeat. Maybe I'm done with anime? I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old.

Anyway:

EDIT: Weirdly, Wagnaria!!3 shows up in my to watch list, but not on my notifications list, and I don't have it nor do I remember watching it - so I'll be watching that to complete my task.

2nd EDIT: Owing to a conversation in #letsanime on synirc, I've recalled that I've thought of quitting anims at least 4 other times in the almost two decades since I started watching anims.

3rd EDIT: gently caress this post turned into a mess of editing.

That orc channel needs to end its all about discord now

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

[quote="“Namtab”" post="“477216261”"]
That orc channel needs to end its all about discord now
[/quote]

An orc channel sounds way better than discord

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

I'm going to die

no don't

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I kept my resolution for 4 to 5 months then I failed miserably because of work so now I don't watch anime at all.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hate-Senpai posted:

I kept my resolution for 4 to 5 months then I failed miserably because of work so now I don't watch anime at all.

Nice Vostok impression

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vostok is good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Matoi Ryuko posted:

My resolution this year is to not uphold any toxxes. :evilbuddy:

its time to find out what the mod values more: his commitments to himself, or his responsibility to the forum

e:

Erg posted:

watch 15 anime from 2000-2015, I have to do at least one anime from each year

i'd also like to point out that erg can't count

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 27, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

update: a bunch of my chrome tabs closed on their own and i cant recover them so i guess that my resolution completed

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

My resolution is to finish all the series I started last year:
Yuri on Ice
Fune wo Amu
March Comes Like a Lion
Drifters
Kaiji

But also to read more books

I didn't finish Kaiji or Fune wo Amu.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh poo poo I still need to watch Birdy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I didn't finish Kaiji or Fune wo Amu.

There's still time

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I stopped watching anime.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

i'd also like to point out that erg can't count

It was on purpose so I get a freebie year if 2002 sucks or something

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

It was on purpose so I get a freebie year if 2002 sucks or something

you could've watched princess tutu or azumanga daioh or king gainer or haibane renmei or the one you did watch, gits sac

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

you could've watched princess tutu or azumanga daioh or king gainer or haibane renmei or the one you did watch, gits sac

i couldn’t remember the year i did end up skipping

maybe 2005?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

i couldn’t remember the year i did end up skipping

maybe 2005?

sukisho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Updated List:

2000: FLCL
2001: R.O.D. OVAs
2002: GitS SAC
2004: Paranoia Agent
20062005: One Piece Movie 6
2006: Death Note
2008: Birdy Decode
2009: KnK 7
2010: Star Driver
2011: AnoHana
2012: Girls Und Panzer
2013: Eccentric Family
2014: Ai Mai Mii 2nd Season
2015: Fushigi na Somera-chan

I apparently don't know how to read air dates, the One Piece movie was from 2005. I've got two years left to fill, 2003 which is going to be Nasu: Andalusia no Natsu, and 2007 which I'm using my skip on unless I feel like overachieving

• Locked thread