Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This implementation is my first time playing with the cards introduced in the second edition.

So, um, Bandit/Chapel is pretty cool if you get the 5/2 split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Have you ever had Soothsayer/Chapel? :pusheen:

Can't say I've had the pleasure, but that sounds even more amazing, since the junking could theoretically knock someone off the Chapel play early and set them back forever.

Also, the computer just did this:

quote:

Turn 12 - Lord Rattington

plays a Poacher

draws a card

plays a Chapel

trashes a Copper and 3 Provinces

draws 5 cards

:staredog:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah, speaking of buying coppers, I played a guy who cleared out the estate pile on his own, cause that's about all you can get when your deck is like 80% copper.

I've bought coppers once. Fountain was in play, but so was Treasure Trove. It was a real interesting combination. I was the only one who had to actually buy them because I didn't get enough Troves to fire.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Dominion Wiki posted:

Due to the Actions theme of this set, most of these cards are excellent for engines. That said, the awkwardness of the Potion cost can discourage some players from pursuing strategies with Alchemy cards. Because of this awkwardness, players often choose Alchemy as their least favorite expansion, and Donald X. has stated that it's highly unlikely he'll revisit Potions as a mechanic, mainly for this very reason. However, the set does have supporters, and once actually in your deck, most of the cards are quite powerful and fun to play with.

DXV, What Donald X. Might Do With a Dominion Time Machine posted:

The next big thing is that, I knew some people wouldn't appreciate the potion concept, but did not realize that some people would find the set to be too slow. It has an action-chaining sub-theme, in order to make individual potion-costing cards good in games where there's only one card to buy with potions, and well this leads to longer games. I could potentially have put in two victory cards or treasures or both though, as those are cards you can buy multiples of (another solution to the problem that action-chaining was solving), and tweaked the card mix other ways to reduce either slowness or the perception of slowness.

No citation on that first one, but if you assume it's true, you have to figure he just won't bother.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

H2Omelon posted:

I am loving that these cards are a return to more simple concepts. These are real good fun.

This. I haven't played with these yet but I have played with both Adventures and Empires (but not Nocture) and that poo poo is just wacky. I'm glad to see them finding simple design space.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

That sheepdog is a very good dog.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Extremely dull ways but I'm sure they have uses.

Dull, but I think Way of the Sheep could be something of an 'easy mode' that lets you smooth into golds if there are many terminals.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm most excited because it means another insane marketing blurb. This one was pretty good,

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I like pearl diver thematically, but yeah, it's not terribly good. Maybe they can make a card that draws you that card instead of putting it on top?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

DXV has the best box blurbs in the business.

I agree. The blurbs for all of those are hilarious. I don't know if it's DXV himself or someone at RGG that writes them, but they're just great.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

On the surface, Highwayman looks like such a ballache counter to efficient trashing. If you only have silvers and golds in hand, that's gotta feel bad. On the other hand, if we all still have coppers and someone wants to spend and action to essentially give me a -1 coin token, I guess I don't care? If I'm reading it correctly, it's like Militia in that the later players are less affected because it doesn't double up the effect. Of course, it costs 5 so Margrave might be the better comp.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Pirate seems fun. It's expensive and looks like it might be slow, but 1: you gain it to your hand like Mine and 2: it triggers on any player, so you can play some other action, gain a silver and then play a Pirate. It is also on 'gain' and not 'buy' so it can also trigger off things like Mountebank (and something more relevant since that card is already expensive and bonkers). 5 still feels a smidge expensive, but this is commonly going to gain you a gold without an action.

I'd go compare it to other 'Gain a Gold' cards, but the wiki is just so darn slow.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I crack open my Jewelled Egg and a Prized Goat came out. :raise: What exactly laid that egg?

Also, Doubloons is :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

So for Inherited, the gained card starts shuffled in your deck?

Minor, relatively early spoilers for Clank Legacy behind the spoiler tags: Clank Legacy gives players a 11th card to begin with early on, but it starts in the discard pile. That was still a very big change, but didn't warp the opening dynamics. It might matter more for Clank because of the tempo of the Stumble cards, but I was still super impressed as to how much of a difference it made giving players a different feel to their abilities.