Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
For us goons in the UK that can't get the same stuff from the US distributors, I got this wooden box for Christmas for my storage solution:

http://www.basicallywooden.co.uk/our-collections/card-game-boxes/#tabContent1_stacks_in_23860_page20

It fits about 5 boxes worth of cards if you sleeve, and probably all of the cards if you don't, but would be very heavy if you filled it with every Dominion card.

How do people feel about the Empires expansion? I love it, especially the Landmarks, but I found a number of the Kingdom cards have made some people's heads spin, particularly Castles, Enchantress and Villa. Also what's the deal with Catapult and Rocks? They seem totally crap to me, I assume I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
What do people think about the Second Editions? I used to advise people not to pick up Intrigue as their first expansion because it had some real stinkers in it and Saboteur made for the worst games ever, but the second edition makes the expansion seem pretty good overall now. The multi-type VP cards like Harem and Nobles were always a hit and there aren't really any more aggressively bad cards in the set now.

The new Second Edition Base Set cards in particular are all amazing and makes the base game so much better. I am surprised by Diplomat in Intrigue though, they've added all these mostly straightforward cards and then Diplomat just comes across as unnecessarily complicated.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Been playing on the new online client now that the e-mail conformation issue is sorted. It's nice to play Empires online because I don't get enough chance to play it IRL.

First board had Tomb (+1VP when you trash something) and Swindler, and after we both opened double-Swindler we realised that it gives your opponents a point when you play it. The realisation was quite funny, we still used them anyway :)

Next board was an insane Scrying Poool + Remake + Workers Village + Knights + Fortune + Colony deal. Was looking to three-pile near the end but then Fortune just almost trivially gets you to 46 coin and it's like "Oh well, I guess I'll just buy 4 Colonies then, you know, no big deal or anything". Crazy.

For anybody looking to play on the new client, be aware of two things:

1) Go to the Familiar cards tab on the main screen and set them all to familiar so you stop having games that are almost entirely Base cards. It's a cool feature to slowly introduce cards to players, but it's active by default and a lot of people don't know about it or understand it..

2) The current implementation of calling reserve cards is clearly a placeholder for now but it's extremely not obvious, there is no button, instead text appears in the game log that looks like regular log text but you can click it to call the card.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Toshimo posted:

That doesn't sound right. If you were Remaking and Gladiatoring and Knighting, that game should have ended well before you were dropping $23 pre-Fortune.
You'd think so, but it didn't work out that way. A shame I don't have a log.

The game was still very fast. The money came from 2 gladiators, Dame Sylvia, two platinums and a silver and gold. I was fully expecting some crazy remake three pile bonanza but it didn't work out due to the stuff that got Knighted, my remakes got hit twice and my opponent lost his potion. I picked up a platinum as it's safe from Knights and picked up the second when I first generated $20 along with my first colony, then it was a 4 colony turn, then a 3 colony turn and I ended up with all 8 colonies. Piles were close but massive money generation won out somehow.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Had a game yesterday with Tower that I won by buying all 10 curses to three-pile. Tower meant they didn't cost any points, so it was viable. Not something you see everyday.

Also had a game with a really weak board but that had Catapult/Rocks, and I ended up buying all of the Catapults and all of the Rocks and smashed my opponent into the ground who could do nothing all game. I always thought those cards were rear end but apparently it completely demolishes basic Big Money. The more you know!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Just had a game with university, possession, gladiator, caravan, and a bunch of other stuff.

Turn 1:
Bought gladiator

Turn 2:
Bought potion

Turn 3:
Play gladiator, revealing potion, opponent cannot reveal the same. Play 3 coppers, buy possession.

Opponent immediately resigns.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Has anyone successfully transferred their account from Making Fun to the new site? I still haven't received a migration email.
Check your spam folder, but you should have received it by now. If you've not had it, then get an account on either the Shuffle it forum or Dominion strategy forum and PM Stef with your MF username and e-mail.

Note that you'll only get an email if you purchased any sets from Goko/MF, if you only bought the subscription near the end then you won't get an email and need to create a new account.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Well fair enough. I was never on Goko or MF and I thought migrations were only for those who purchased full sets. Sorry for the bad info.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
At the moment you can get games with more than one bot or alongside human players by setting up a table and increasing the minimum number of players. You can start games without reaching the required minimum and bots will fill in all the required unoccupied spaces.

Having said that the lobby system needs a complete overhaul and is for all practical purposes completely unusable right now. But if you're just looking to use matchmaking against a random opponent in 2-player then the system right now is working great. I rarely have to wait more than a few seconds, even on Good Match. Just sit down and straight in to Dominion.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I've opened with Port before in a game where villages were critical and they were the only ones. That pile can run out extremely fast.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
My username is kieranmillar and I play late evenings in the UK. If see any of you around I'm more than happy to give you a game. I may have already played against some of you in the last week.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Currently there is no PM feature. Best thing to do is to spectate their game, chat to them in the game chat, then if they are up for a game, join in onto the table once the game is finished (there is a join game button in place of the Ready button on the game results screen or table setup screen).

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Huh, just realized that on-trash benefits work when you hit a supply pile with a Lurker. You can trash Catacombs to pick up later while gaining free villages that enable them to draw your entire deck.

Yeah. Trashing Fortress with Lurker puts it immediately into your hand, and trashing Cultist is like playing two labs in a row.

Cultist still the most overpowered card even when putting it straight in the trash instead of into your deck.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Just had a game with Mill and Menagerie. Now there's a fun as hell combo. Discard duplicates for sweet cash and then draw back up to a big handsize, no mucking around with villages needed.

In fact the board didn't even have any villages, or trashing, and the only +buy was Baron. Beat my opponent's Alchemist stack, so that's cool.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Go to the familiar cards tab and ensure all cards are marked as familiar, then set the cards you hate as unfamiliar. Then go to options and change max unfamiliar cards to zero.

This effectively bans those cards from all of your future games unless you play on a table with respect familiar cards turned off.

I did this to Cultist, Rebuild and Possession and my Dominion experience improved enormously.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Played an engine board with Triumph.

It also had Counterfeit, Festival, Haggler and Death Cart.

Got 31 point tokens from a single Triumph buy. I wanted to buy it multiple times that turn, but by the time I got that turn off, there was only 1 estate left. :(

Still won though!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The only thing better than topdecking engine components is gaining them directly to your hand and hey, Artisan does that too!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Some guy just tried trolling me during a game. Important cards were Mint, Hoard, Armory, Herald, Masquerade, Settlers, Shelters and Palace.

He bought mint fairly early, passing me his armory with masquerade once the heralds were all gone. Then I grabbed a silver with Armory, and on another turn, 2 coppers with both armories, giving me 6 more points from Palace. I won the game 36-30.

code:
Joining game #2050223 on frankfurt.
patzer9: ah, he learned something
kieranmillar: Sorry?
patzer9: lol
patzer9: mint
kieranmillar: Do you think I don't know that mint trashes all treasures when you buy it?
patzer9: you bought it too late
kieranmillar: I don't think so
patzer9: embarassing that you don'T even get that this is lost
kieranmillar: oh look you're losing
patzer9: you are too dumb for this game
patzer9: mr late minty
patzer9 left the table.
He didn't stick around for post-game chat.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Logged in today and it seems I've squeaked into the top 20:

Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
New Dominion expansion announced! Dominion: Nocturne

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17456.0

If Adventures was the Seaside sequel and Empires the Prosperity sequel, this looks like the Dark Ages sequel. 500 cards, 33 kingdom piles and heirlooms, which replace your starting Coppers.

Currently scheduled for an October English release.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Add museum as a landmark for extra point fun!

Anyway I just wanted to say Heirlooms are amazing. So are night cards, but Heirlooms feel much more awesome. It's so cool!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Yeah I wasn't sure how I would feel about hexes and boons, but in the end, I think Hexes are fun, but boons are extremely unimpressive. Except when druid turns into a Will-o'-Wisp factory and there's highway...

----

Just had a game with Altar, Nobles, Inn, Watchtower, Rogue, Golem, Scavenger and Ill-Gotten-Gains. But there was no +buy. It was enormous amount of clicking and choices for these low-economy turns, but at least the cursing was fast when it got going. Gain IGG with Altar, Trash with Altar, gain again with Rogue, etc. Must have been so boring for my opponent before he resigned, but it was boring for me too at the end.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I hate to be a downer but must admit that having looked at the full card list overall I feel a bit disappointed by Nocturne. Heirlooms are neat and changeling looks interesting but there's nothing else that really grabs me, compared to the mind-blowing excitement that Adventures and Empires brought to the table with the fundamentally game-changing and really cool events and landmarks.

Maybe it's because I wasn't impressed by boons and hexes and seeing cards like +$2, receive a boon, or the half-wharf and half-lighthouse leave me feeling "meh".

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I had another fun game (and I really wish I could pull logs/replays):

My opponent was a bit surprised when I countered their double Masquerade start by going Masquerade into Ritual on my Estate. By mid-game, I was up like 35 to -2 on the back of ritualing some Feodums and Hunting Grounds. He was a good sport, though.
Nice, an actual use for Ritual. Hunting Grounds and Masquerade both work with it now I think about it. Major points with Hunting grounds and with Masquerade you can just pass the curse to your opponent.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I am loving that these cards are a return to more simple concepts. These are real good fun.

Just had a game with Priest, Scholar, Forager, Port, Minion, Market and Triumph! Was such a cool engine. Trash loads of cards for loads of money and buys, drawing with scholar after turning all my minions into 2 coin (or as draw for backup with bad draws) then go crazy with Triumph. Very reliable and great fun.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The Renaissance rulebook is out!

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1334-Dominion-Renaissance

Click on Download Game Assets

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Wine Merchant, Merchant Guild, Goons, Bridge, Mountebank, theres a ton of power cards that work with Capitalism.

I'm a fan of Fleet. An extra turn once the game is over!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Rulebook is up
http://riograndegames.com/getFile.php?id=2220

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
10 of the ways are not shown in the rulebook (including Pig, Sheep and Ox) because they are so simple they do not need rules clarification, apparently. So we still don't know what Camel, Frog, Goat, Monkey, Mule, Otter and Worm do.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Donald X has clarified what the remaining ways are:

quote:

Way of the Camel: Way
Exile a Gold from the Supply.

Way of the Frog: Way
+1 Action
When you discard this from play
this turn, put it onto your deck.

Way of the Goat: Way
Trash a card from your hand.

Way of the Monkey: Way
+1 Buy
+$1

Way of the Mule: Way
+1 Action
+$1

Way of the Otter: Way
+2 Cards

Way of the Worm: Way
Exile an Estate from the Supply.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Seaside getting a Second Edition, like the Base game and Intrigue had years ago. So some bad cards going out of print to be replaced with new ones.

https://www.riograndegames.com/2022/01/dominion-seaside-2nd-edition-announced/

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Interestingly, while Base and Intrigue removed 6 cards + blanks and added 7, the announcement says there will be 9 new cards in Seaside, so I assume the update pack box is a little bigger. I think its fair to assume 8 cards + blanks are going from Seaside, so more cards getting the chop.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Teasers have been posted for Allies.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21079.0

quote:

At long last, Allies previews start Monday, and as usual I have a teaser.

Word counts:
- favor(s) - 33
- turn - 30
- choose - 13
- rotate - 6
- curse - 4
- +1 card and +1 action - 4
- 10 - 2
- skip - 1

Type counts
- actions - 45
- allies - 23
- liaisons - 9
- durations - 9
- attacks - 7
- treasures - 3
- victory cards - 3
- reactions - 0

Miscellaneous
- a kingdom card that cares about shuffling
- a sorcerer and a sorceress
- a treasure Pawn
- a treasure-duration
- two cards with four types

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The 31 number comes from the box blurb / description.

https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-allies/

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Previews have begun. Here's day 1: Allies.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21082.0

You can play with the cards on dominion.games

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 2: Split piles

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21085.0

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 3: Choose one

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21091.0

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Its out now, on both dominion.games and the Steam / mobile app. With the recent subscription change, you no longer need to top up your subscription if you previously had a Gold subscription, you just have it already.

The rule book still isn't out yet because the physical set is still not available, so I can't link to that, but here's the rest of the unpreviewed cards: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21114.0

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
My problem with Platinum / Colony is that Platinum is very strong and can sometimes just push out other payload. They are fine, and with more and more expansions added into the mix, maybe they could do with a rule that makes them show up a bit more often these days.

I don't like Shelters though. At first they were novel but now they seem real crap. Necropolis is alright, but the effects of the other two could be less lame and the cost of 1 sure does suck in the presence of some cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/362517/dominion-prosperity-second-edition

:monocle: