Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Dominion-theme question: is there a fairy-tale I don't know where a goat eats a pixie?

DXV admitted there's not really a thematic connection:

DXV posted:

There's not really a connection. The mythology in this set is mostly Celtic. The people who believed in faeries were peasants; they'd have goats. The things the faeries did involved everyday life.

It's kind of weird to consider a Goat a treasure at all, but I guess it makes sense that livestock would be considered currency.

My guess is he had a list of Heirloom effects and really wanted to do a "goats eat up everything" gag but didn't have a thematically connected kingdom card so just linked it to something kind of innocuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the main "story" of Dominion is that you're a fledgling lord who has just come into his meager inheritance and wants to build it into an empire (I believe this is the gloss that the base set gives for the game), then starting with a goat makes a lot of sense. People in those days would value livestock above even treasure. Especially utilitarian livestock like a humble goat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DXV posted the secret history of Nocturne, it has some interesting design tidbits:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17955.msg734732#msg734732

so Re: the goat/pixie discussion earlier, apparently they were paired in the event that someone got to double play Flame's Gift and there were no other trashers in play; with Goat everyone already had a trasher. Goat was also priced at $2 to avoid the War hex and Knights.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
PSA: Dismantle is up on the BGG store

I'll get the OP updated this afternoon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

My new and improved storage solution!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I just had a game with Devil's Workshop, Talisman, and Hamlet for +buy. I had no idea how many cards I was getting until I Scavengered something from my discard pile and was confronted with a terrifying crush of cards. Imps are a lot of fun, I love how you end up buying things you may not otherwise just to have something to play with it for... efficiency?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 17, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is Nocturn the first set that allows for infinite Madman plays? Necromancer's wording seems to beat a trashed Madman's desire to return to his pile which could lead to some weird games.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is Nocturn the first set that allows for infinite Madman plays? Necromancer's wording seems to beat a trashed Madman's desire to return to his pile which could lead to some weird games.

I think you're right about it preventing the return to the pile, but the "if you do" clause on the drawing means that you would just be using the Necro'd Madman for +2 actions. Plus then per Necro's instructions you would flip Madman over and not be able to play it again, so you would need multiple in the trash in order to play them more than once a turn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I hadn't noticed that the draw was conditional... foiled again!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just trash your deck down to all actions and then use City Quarter to the same effect!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
T1 Travelling Fair -> Chapel is straight savage:

I actually had enough coins/buys to buy out all the duchies and estates as well, but didn't want to make him sit there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

T1 Travelling Fair -> Chapel is straight savage:

I actually had enough coins/buys to buy out all the duchies and estates as well, but didn't want to make him sit there.

The Dominion Strategy wiki lists TF/Chapel as an anti-synergy, and indeed I am failing to see what you did to get there. I'm assuming you got a $4 opener and your turn 2 was Chapel to trash two Estates and two Copper, but after that I'm not seeing how to buy so many Highways so fast.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea you're almost guaranteeing trashing two estates right away which is super efficient then I'm guessing fools gold to your first highway then with even a single highway and $4 or $5 you can top deck multiple Fools Golds and pretty quickly get to grand market then explode from there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea you're almost guaranteeing trashing two estates right away which is super efficient then I'm guessing fools gold to your first highway then with even a single highway and $4 or $5 you can top deck multiple Fools Golds and pretty quickly get to grand market then explode from there.

Yeah. Trash errything but 2 coppers. Buy 2xFools Gold=5 coins. From there just go with a mix of highways and GMs until you've smashed both piles.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Trash errything but 2 coppers. Buy 2xFools Gold=5 coins. From there just go with a mix of highways and GMs until you've smashed both piles.

I like keeping it to 3 fool's gold for perfect consistency (only 4 non-cantrip cards). I didn't end up with as many highway/gm because of it (and probably didn't build perfectly) but still finished on turn 10.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I had another fun game (and I really wish I could pull logs/replays):

My opponent was a bit surprised when I countered their double Masquerade start by going Masquerade into Ritual on my Estate. By mid-game, I was up like 35 to -2 on the back of ritualing some Feodums and Hunting Grounds. He was a good sport, though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Since we're posting games, i had one where my opponent was buying money when there were Villages and Council Rooms to help me buy multiple Peddlers for free, which helped me buy Expands and Kings Courts. Game ended with me gaining four Colonies in a turn.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Toshimo posted:

I had another fun game (and I really wish I could pull logs/replays):

My opponent was a bit surprised when I countered their double Masquerade start by going Masquerade into Ritual on my Estate. By mid-game, I was up like 35 to -2 on the back of ritualing some Feodums and Hunting Grounds. He was a good sport, though.
Nice, an actual use for Ritual. Hunting Grounds and Masquerade both work with it now I think about it. Major points with Hunting grounds and with Masquerade you can just pass the curse to your opponent.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Official thread drink detected, bottoms up:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I lost a game where I had 2 of the Highways to his 8, and resigned after he had a 7-Province turn.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is there a funnier card in this game than rats?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lichtenstein posted:

Is there a funnier card in this game than rats?

Fool is p close

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I really enjoy buying fool, playing it once, trashing it for some effect and benefiting from turning my worst card into something useful for the rest of the game. Sometimes the other person catches on and buys a fool eventually and then I get sad.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I really enjoy buying Rats, having it eat my deck, then revealing a hand full of Rats

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Back when I last played physical Dominion a friend bought Rats, had it eat his whole deck, and then laughed out loud at his first all-rats hand.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Rats is the funniest card to play. Treasure Map might be funnier to watch someone else play but rats racing them is funny too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Has anyone had any success in ignoring Sauna/Avantos? I kinda hate when they're in the kingdom because I know what my first... 6 or so turns will be.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Has anyone had any success in ignoring Sauna/Avantos? I kinda hate when they're in the kingdom because I know what my first... 6 or so turns will be.

Their power is exponential, so you can't let someone else get all of them. That means they're weaker in 3 or 4 player games. Bishop/Fortress could maybe outrun Sauna/Avanto? Double Rebuild? But both of those strats would still benefit from Sauna.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm not sure how I feel about Nocturne as a whole, but Shepard (paired with Gear) made me happy to draw a hand of five estates. And making things like that possible is a sign of a good card.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about Nocturne as a whole, but Shepard (paired with Gear) made me happy to draw a hand of five estates. And making things like that possible is a sign of a good card.

Yeah that's one of the "classic" card concepts in Nocturne that could easily fit into any set and is just really fun. I'm impressed he's able to still make cards like that this late into the cycle, where you can easily see it being in one of the first two expansions.

My biggest complaint about Nocturne is just the amount of disconnected "stuff" that needs to be put out. In previous sets even the cards that brought in extra stuff was either packaged together or else limited: like you had a card that brought in Spoils or you had something like the travelers that were grouped together. When we were playing in person I ended up having to go back to the box a few times because for example if you have a Fool then you obviously need it's packaged stuff (Lucky Coin and LitW status) and then the Boons but then Boons also bring in Will-o-wisps which can be easy to forget. If you have Tormentor you need Imps and Hexes and then the Hexes require their own pile of status effects. So it's not just one extra thing, it's branching things that can fill up your table quick, especially with multiple Nocturne cards. There's also not a keyword for the Spirits and there are different Spirits for different cards anyway.

I really like the Night phase concept and the majority of the heirlooms, and even Boons and Hexes don't bother me so much as I would rather they work without bringing in their own set of different piles (I don't think you would lose anything by removing the Will-o-wisp gain from the Boons, and I'm sure there would be a way to do stuff like deluded and envious without the separate cards). The Spirits are all pretty cool individually but as an added wrinkle to an already crowded set I could do without them.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Help, I am literally incapable of starting a game of Dominion if there's no trashing effect on offer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lichtenstein posted:

Help, I am literally incapable of starting a game of Dominion if there's no trashing effect on offer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lichtenstein posted:

Do you freak out when you see a big fat Gardens deck?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I play trashing games completely differently than non-trashing games; it's cool

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fountain + Shepherd/Pasture is a fun departure from the norm.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

I can't speak for Lichtenstein, but I just really like trashing, and will often start a new (solo v. bots) game if there is no trashing and no other cards I think are really fun.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like I go through phases where I will look for certain things, like maybe I am not going to play if it looks like it's just going to be one action card driving big money and would prefer engines, or yeah I prefer trashing. I occasionally play bot games to kill some time and there I will just wait for a super big engine I can do stupid poo poo and crush the dumb bot with (it's easy to figure out what cards will just flatten them too; Torturer for instance they will always discard down to nothing every time). I am a little less picky in human matches and am even less picky playing in person with friends.

But yeah, I would look at some of the cards that do well in no-trash games, particularly Landmarks or other alt-VP and see what you like of those, or stuff like Settlers/Patrol/Vagrant. My favorite aspect of this game is that you can play wildly different from game to game, so I would hate to lose that aspect of it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think I encountered my most favourite Kingdom ever (so far) in Androminion.

Plat + Colonies enabled
City Quarter
Haven
Chariot Race
Gladiator
Rats
Temple
Butcher
Haunted Woods
Horn of Plenty
Peddler

So many different interesting interactions, and I like a lot that the only +2 actions is City Quarter.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've been playing just Base+Seaside for a while, and really wanted an excuse to pick up Nocturne. A lot of it looked really fun (Night cards, Heirlooms, more Durations) but I knew I'd get tired really quick of Boons and Hexes. And the additional complexity would probably have wound up being a turnoff for the people I usually play with.

Which has left me looking for another expansion. As someone who really likes Seaside, Adventures seemed good and promises more of what I liked but again the added complexity feels like it'd be too much. And Guilds/Cornucopia still haven't been reprinted so that rules those out too. Prosperity I frequently see recommended but as much as I love engines a set that has a selling point of making games/turns longer probably wouldn't go over quite as well.

Now I'm just trying to decide between Intrigue 2nd Edition or Hinterlands. They both seem relatively less complex, and both contain cards supporting alt-vp strategies that could be a nice shakeup. I'm leaning a bit towards Intrigue currently due to simplicity while still having some nice interaction and the modal cards, but Hinterlands has a lot of interesting cards as well. Between those two, which would probably offer the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dancer posted:

I think I encountered my most favourite Kingdom ever (so far) in Androminion.

Plat + Colonies enabled
City Quarter
Haven
Chariot Race
Gladiator
Rats
Temple
Butcher
Haunted Woods
Horn of Plenty
Peddler

So many different interesting interactions, and I like a lot that the only +2 actions is City Quarter.

Is there a new fork of Androminion? I don't recognise half those cards.