Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I use a completely different storage system: a giant 3-ring binder filled with baseball card pages. Each pocket holds a full stack of kingdom cards, which I ordered alphabetically so it's easy to flip through and find what you want. It's big enough to easily add expansions as I acquire them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

For this guy they all fit in this giant one

That looks like the same size as mine, although my collection is still far from complete. And this solution wouldn't work for sleevers.

How heavy is that wooden box when it's full?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

I like the new cards a lot, and even though I like some of the replaced cards, it's a massive positive shift. The new editions seem to have gotten rid of the clunkers that made some boards not much fun.

I agree, but it's crazy that he didn't replace Swindler for exactly that reason.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Sleeves are for the weak

Swindler is good and I hate it with a burning passion

Agreed on the first point.

I never said Swindler was bad (strategically), just that it makes games less fun. If it's there, you gotta buy it so you aren't the only player getting swindled. Then the rest of the game is everyone making each other's decks lovely.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Has anyone successfully transferred their account from Making Fun to the new site? I still haven't received a migration email.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Checked my spam folder and now I'm all signed up. Free account for a year! This interface really needs some work, including a basic walkthrough of itself. It looks like I can't set up a game against more than 1 bot AND other people can join the table even if I'm just playing against bots? The upside-down hand for your opponent is dumb. And the netcode doesn't seem too stable. And there's no visible ranking to tell whether I'm getting better or worse.

All that said, if you're looking to beat up on a lovely opponent who doesn't own many expansions, please add Squid In Squid Ink to your friends list!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I saw a board earlier today with no 2 or 3 cost cards. One of the rare times I've ever bought copper.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I usually pick up on self-synergizing cards. The ones that I never seem to use well are Remodelers.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

golden bubble posted:

Does anyone else have a card you can't help buying, even when it appears to be a bad idea.

Since the 2nd editions came out, I can't stop buying Poachers and Sentries.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just discovered the option in dominion.games to force the other player to resign if they take too long during their turn. Nice!

Then my very next game, my opponent lurker-sniped me 3 times, but I still beat him because he turned out to be a Village Idiot who let me grab all the Gardens while he filled me with Curses and built his glorious chains to no treasure.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Has anyone noticed people who just stall out instead of resigning? I'm not sure if it could also be glitchiness but multiple times I've gotten to end game either in the lead or poised to win and people will just stop playing.

Network connections are still pretty common, but people could be trying to wait you out. The "force resignation" option pops up after a few minutes, though.

It's weird that people would cheat to avoid a loss, because there's no visible ranking and they'd just face tougher competition.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I keep playing against people who seem to be going for what you're doing--massive chains meant to produce a huge multiple buy to win the game in one fell swoop--but they end up with something like 7 or 15 coins and it was just a huge waste of time.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Is there any way to ban certain cards? Because I just played a game that had Black Market and Swindler and that might be the recipe for the worst Dominion experience possible.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just realized that Swindler is one of the best counters to Black Market. I still never want to play a game with it ever again.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm starting to think Sentry is overpowered. Cantrip + mini chapel + mini cellar. It's useful at every stage of the game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Others may disagree, but I think the best way to improve Intrigue is to throw the entire stack of Swindlers in the garbage.

Some new players complain that Dominion is just multiplayer solitaire. Include Masquerade and Torturer and they won't!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

They just drastically changed the matchmaking at dominion.games. Now if you want a ranked game against a human (whether near your level or not), it ignores your "familiar cards" list. So now you can only practice with the cards you know against the computer (or wait forever for a human) or you'd better be prepared for a selection from every single expansion.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Had a uniquely satisfying game tonight. I won by stacking a shitload of buys and, in my final turn, buying a Duchy, draining a 3 point Action pile, and buying the 2 remaining Curses to create the 3rd empty pile.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Got my fastest non-resignation win ever last night: I started off just buying silver and a Smithy to quickly get 2 Rebuilds. Then I pretty much just kept cycling my Rebuilds with an occasional Lurker to regain some trashed Estates/Duchies for more Rebuild fodder, until I was in the clear to start trashing Provinces for Provinces. There was nothing my opponent could have done other than mirror my strategy, but he caught on too late.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I misremembered. It was a Graverobber, which I hardly even had to use. My point was that it's easy to keep cycling 2 Rebuilds and win quickly if your opponent tries to build a traditional engine, even with attacks thrown in.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Congrats! On a related note, I've squeaked into the Top 2000.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I can't manage to break above a 47 rating, because I'm still so unfamiliar with the later expansions. That said, I'm still excited for more!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just won a game by playing 9 coins and buying a Curse to drain the last pile and nothing else. These are the moments that make me love this game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

rchandra posted:

I still haven't decided if I'm getting Nocturne or not, hopefully the previews make it clear. If not I can just rent online for a month and then decide! (Seriously, I love the payment model for Dominion Online. Cheap enough to just get a month when I'm in a Dominion mood, not tied down to make me feel "gotta play nothing but Dominion to get 'value'" like my old WoW friends had)

I play Dominion Online almost every day and haven't paid anything yet since the rollover from the lovely previous version! If you play competitive, you get access to every expansion your competitor owns, so I still see the new, weird poo poo I don't understand in small doses.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just had a very satisfying win with Candlestick Maker, Baker, and Bishop on the board + Obelisked Hireling. He went Ironworks early and I went Bishop. He also kept playing his Hirelings while I Bishoped them. We ended with 0 victory cards a piece and I crushed him on VPs.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It's weird to call a card "Cursed" if it doesn't involve Curses.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

homullus posted:

No Dominion card that involves Curses is called "Cursed" anything.

No Dominion card has been called "Cursed" anything until now. My point is that Curses have been a game mechanic since the very beginning and the English language is full of adjectives. Why use that one if it doesn't involve that core mechanic?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

And there's the first example of a "Cursed" card that--crazy as this sounds--involves Curses!

My guess for Cursed Village: +1 Card +2 Actions, gain a Curse for every empty pile.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

That would need to cost less than 3 to be worth it since it's strictly worse than village, but might not even come into play since piles might not empty at all or would late game (and often does because the curse pile itself is already out). When you're bragging about being right you gotta stick the landing mate.

I think the obvious comparison of Cursed Gold would make it something like a more powerful "village with a bonus" that either cursed you when you played it, or a regularish (but still better or cheaper) village that comes with a curse the first time you buy it.

OK, what I said originally, but with +2 coin or something like that. I just think it would be interesting to have an engine facilitator come with a late-game risk.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm trying to work out a Rats and Goat strategy.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Has anyone had any success in ignoring Sauna/Avantos? I kinda hate when they're in the kingdom because I know what my first... 6 or so turns will be.

Their power is exponential, so you can't let someone else get all of them. That means they're weaker in 3 or 4 player games. Bishop/Fortress could maybe outrun Sauna/Avanto? Double Rebuild? But both of those strats would still benefit from Sauna.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fountain + Shepherd/Pasture is a fun departure from the norm.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

After a few months playing with Nocturne active on dominion.games, I'd recommend it be the last expansion you buy for real-life play (aside from maybe Alchemy). It has too much of all the things I like least in Dominion: randomness, fiddliness, cards that don't really complement other expansions very well. Intrigue 2nd edition is still the very first expansion I'd recommend.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mountain Village is highly situational but will be great with cards like Oasis and Secret Cave.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

+2 Actions, draw a Gold/Smithy for $4 is not "highly situational". It's immensely strong in the late game and is a huge enabler for fatter decks who won't empty their discard so often.

OK, not "highly", but in many situations, particularly early game, it's objectively worse than plain ol' Village.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

OK, just played a few preview rounds with Mountain Village and, even though the bot is already easy to beat, I haven't seen a board yet where it wasn't worth buying.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The worst thing about dominion.games is that it includes Black Market in ranked games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just played a game with Rebuild, Labyrinth, and Castles and my opponent decided to ignore Rebuild. What a slaughter.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bobfly posted:

I kind of get lost in the woods

Then stop buying Fool!

Seriously, it just takes a lot of practice to get familiar with everything. Don't dive into competitive matches online where all the expansions get thrown at you at once.

As for your friends' preferences for big engines vs a slim deck: that could easily bite them in the rear end. Identify the key features of the kingdom before you buy anything. If there's no +buy, then there's no reason to build an engine that gives you more than 8 coin per hand (unless you're playing with colonies). Are there more cursers than trashers? Then you can clog up their engines. Use attacks like Militia, Torturer, Margrave, and Urchin/Mercenary to stall their engines. Look for opportunities to rapidly drain 3 piles with you grabbing duchies. Look for game changers like Rebuild that will outpace engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

jivjov posted:

So...there are 10 promo kingdom cards now. Who wants to play an all-promo game sometime?

I veto Black Market