Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I kind of think "It's a powerful symbol, you don't want to overuse it" should be listed under the in-jokes. Also, the description for Chris Britt doesn't match the posted cartoon.

Also, I was number 11 in the list of top posters? That surprises me, given how many times I'd stop checking for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Explain? I mentioned the police cartoon because it's something interesting about them. The cartoons are stuff from the previous year.

Caithness posted:

"In 2014 a local police union was angry over the cartoon posted below and demanded an apology while telling Britt to go to hell. Britt basically told them to gently caress off."

I believe it's the "posted below" language that causes the problem.

Yeah, that. The way you worded it, the cartoon below his name offended the police union, even though it had nothing to do with the police. It should say "angry over a cartoon he drew."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

twerking on the railroad posted:

Deep Hurting apparently doesn't believe that Russia hacked the DNC servers

http://thisishistorictimes.com/2016/12/harvey-dentocrats/

He also is apparently stuck on the Two Face metaphor

To avoid derailing, I'll just say there's a lot of dumb in that editorial.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Technowolf posted:

New Years Resolutions: then and now.

"Jupiterian" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. The correct adjective is "Jovian."
:goonsay:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

Bad lesson to learn from that. The polling wasn't that bad. Even before the election, the race was close enough that pollsters knew Trump could still win.

Yeah, the issue wasn't the polls themselves. It was more that the people reporting on the polls couldn't believe Trump could win, so they spun them in a way that made Clinton seem inevitable. Silver and Co. got that mistake out of their system in the primaries, when they marked Trump's chance of getting the nomination somewhere between 2 and negative 10 percent, so they were chastened and more cautious in the general.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

the_steve posted:

What even is the point of this comic?

"God is a cruel puppetmaster who deliberately created species that would prey and feed on each other for his own amusement?"

I think it's about original sin. "God created a harmonious world, but then Adam and Eve are the fruit, so now everything is killing everything else. Don't be like Adam, do what God says."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

A bold re-interpretation that resonates deeply with me. Can you share any of your church's literature with us, or perhaps a tithing schedule?

I attend the church of Totalitolerance.

^^^

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Ummm, don't you remember when the soldiers came to arrest him and Peter cut off that one dude's ear? Jesus was all,"Peter duuuuude that poo poo was totally sick :hfive:"

GOD it sometimes feels like I'm the only one who has read the Bible!

Also Jesus once said he had come to "bring a sword," which was obviously 100% literal.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

ultra local semipolitoon

WOW! is our cable monopoly here, and we're on like year seven of it being owned by a national company after decades of having our own lil local cable provider, complete with a locally-staffed call center

Someone cut a fiber cable somewhere, and they've been having very long outages across their subscription area (mostly the Southeast, also here). EVERYBODY around here is talking about the "Wowtage"- I live in a college town, but I also live in semirural Kansas, and there isn't DSL coverage everywhere. The only option for some folks is cable internet or a data plan, and that's even dicey as reception is so-so outside of downtown/near campus.

It's in the local zeitgeist to the degree where I thought at first flush that this cartoon was making reference to it somehow:

Wow! used to be Knology, and I miss them. I'm sure they have problems, but they were ten times better than Comcast.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ularg posted:

Can someone explain to me the "Well intelligence also said there were WMDs so why trust them now?" claims? My gut tells me it's bullshit.

It's good to be skeptical of official sources, but rejecting them without question is just as dumb as accepting them without question. Conspiracy theorists love to act like they're smarter than the mainstream sheeple, but all they do is substitute Alex Jones or Breitbart in the place of "people I always trust."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

duz posted:

When you're famous they let you do what ever you want.

Grab 'em by the cloaca.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So a bunch of objectively excellent things got done. Thanks Obama.

And thanks Trump, for reminding Obama not to rest on his laurels.
[/quote]

How dare he do presidential stuff while he's still president! I believe in the peaceful transfer of power, and executive orders are basically war!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

If that's actually the reason for that requirement, then with the electoral college that gives it a 2/2 safety systems that completely failed to work.

The irony is that it had the opposite effect, since shouting about Obama not being a natural born citizen is what led to Trump's ascendancy in the first place.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Is this a Loss edit? I honestly can't tell anymore.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Seriously. He's trying to claim Bush being mystified by a checkout scanner was dignified.

Well, according to Snopes, Bok was right to call that story fake news: http://www.snopes.com/history/american/bushscanner.asp

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

loquacius posted:

Can someone marginally nerdier than me explain whether there is actual ideological significance in the waifus chosen for each person or is it just random

I'd say the first two are backwards. Rei is the submissive meek one, so you think that's the one a Republican would choose.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I gotta disagree. It's a nice burn, but as a cartoon it's Gorrell-level lazy.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Eh, just my opinion, but minor edits of a screenshot isn't what I expect from editorial cartoonists, and feel it should be drawn.

Yeah, that's the idea. This is something I'd expect to see on a parody Twitter account or a Facebook meme. Notice he's describing two things that happened simultaneously- why not draw the events rather than simply say that they happened?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

You know, I actually think this could be a pretty funny cartoon if it wasn't so awfully rendered.

And if Todd hadn't made the exact same "protesters are pussies" cartoon several dozen times.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Who is this? It looks kind of like Rall, but it's saying nice things about Obama, so...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Xander77 posted:

It has humans who look like humans and a sense of perspective, so... no.

Well, let's say it's someone with more talent attempting a similar aesthetic.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

No one equates non-nazis with nazis.

Reminder that you're defending the "hail Trump", "peaceful ethnic cleansing" and "we should really exterminate the blacks, jews and other non-whites" guy.

In 2003, I was told that Saddam Hussein was a monster and if I didn't support violence against him then I was pro-Saddam. Now I'm being told that Richard Spencer is a monster and if I don't support violence against him then I'm pro-Nazi. Yes, yes, I know that it's different because a lot of civilians got killed in the Iraq invasion. It's still absurd to say that being opposed to violence means you are on the side of those targeted by violence. The argument that "no one's taking away their rights, they're just saying they should get attacked for exercising them" is equally stupid. It's not that different from "anyone who disrespects the flag should be beaten." There's always someone ready to say that violence is okay as long as the target is a really bad person.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

"Smoothville?" I changed my mind, go back to wandering in a void of ennui.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

WILLFULLY dense. Pay no attention that he lost the popular vote by 3 million people or that land area does not equal population.

I don't think that's what it's saying. I think it's just "being divided is bad." The wall around all borders, not just the one with Mexico, makes me think this is not pro-Trump.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

I hate the mentality of "everyone hates me so I must be doing SOMETHING right! :smuggo:" that goes hand in hand these days with "I upset/offended someone, that proves I'm right!"
Everyone hates... Hitler too, you waste of paper.

I've got some bad news for you about who's running the White House, my friend...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I knew that image but didn't make the Nazi connection.

So what, the press corps is also Nazis?

Everyone is Hitler.

-Ted Rall

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Why is Green Arrow there? And why is he trying to give Green Lantern the same look the black guy is?

As I understand, Green Lantern/Arrow was a long-running series, and they frequently addressed social issues with Lantern as the conservative and Arrow as the liberal. So Green Arrow is thinking "He's got a good point- what are you doing for black people?"

Fulchrum posted:

You misunderstand. I am not questioning how someone who understands science can have faith - I have it myself. People can understand the how while still knowing God is the who and why. But she has the how, the who and the why of how her people were created. So why does she give benediction to an unrelated entity?

Who made the aliens who made her?

Spoeank posted:

I'll never forget when Barack Obama screamed down FOX News and called them fake news. It was especially jarring thanks to the massive MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner behind him.

No, this one did sort of happen- Obama called Fox News a political opponent. The difference is that was just one network, not the entire news industry. http://www.tvguide.com/news/obama-administration-fox-1010807/

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

:drat: That's going on a good comic nominee list.

I'm not sure I get it. All I can see is the faint outline of bricks, so I guess it's a prison cell? Is my monitor too dark? What does the writing in the window say?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

prefect posted:

It's still monstrous and entirely wipes out the advances in science and government that Greece contributed.

This is the worst opinion I've seen in this thread. Feta cheese is delicious.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

I think Payne is starting to give Branco some serious competition for the "most pathetic shill" title. Like there's absolutely no way he believes the ridiculous poo poo he's putting out lately, even Dees is more internally consistent than that.

Also seeing nominal liberals who feel like they need to defend loving Glenn Beck is ridiculous.

I'm happy to see Glenn Beck speaking reason- maybe some of his followers will absorb some sense against their will- but I don't believe that he's somehow seen the light just because he said a couple decent things.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Am I alone in hating these stupid "ME WANT WATCH FOOTBALL WITH NO TALK ABOUT REAL ISSUES!" cartoons? Oh boo hoo people wanna discuss issues that affect their very lives B-b-b-b-but I wanna watch the football game :qq:

Has Kelly done one of these? Seems like the sort of thing he'd make. Other than him, maybe JR Rose could do it and not be too intolerable.

Hunt11 posted:

I have heard an argument kind of like that in Terry Pratchett. As in an atheist is constantly thinking about god in the negative sense.

There is the type of atheist who is constantly looking for any excuse to argue about how God is a lie and their so much smarter than anyone else. A lot of them are former religious fundamentalists who still have the idea of "win at all cost" programmed into their brains.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I have to say I kind of hate this one. I don't think any of the listed shooters were mentally incompetent in the legal sense, as in they can't handle their own affairs, use their own money, etc., and that's whom the new law would affect. Someone like that is probably not a mass shooter. This is feeding the narrative that the big problem with mental illness is protecting "us" from "them," because "they" might snap and kill at a moment's notice. But most mentally ill people aren't The Joker. The real danger is that they have an easy way to kill themselves. While I doubt this was the intention, it dovetails with yet another Nazi policy: killing off those who are deemed to be "weak." By putting guns in the hands of those likely to turn them on themselves, they can practice indirect eugenics.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

It's only the 6th, he's already made two weeks worth of crimes against poetry.

It seems like only yesterday it was New Year's Prediction season, and now it's already Mallentine's season. It gets earlier every year.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Is this the same artist who did "Nothing gets past this guy?" It has a similar feel to me.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Did... did he intend for Trump to have a little Hitler stache? I'm getting mixed messages here.

I think it's meant to be a picture/protest sign of Trump that was vandalized by LIBERALS!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

0-3 you whiny rear end bitch!

Man, it sure does suck for Trump to have to work with people who have conflicts of interest.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

HA HA SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT, EH PUP? I BET THEY'D PUNCH ONE OF THEM ICKY TRANS IF THEY SUPPORTED TRUMP

On the other hand, it's nice to see Lester is opposed to violence against women.

santanotreal posted:

Someone make a cartoon where a protestor is disappointed to find that they were paid in Soros bucks instead of US dollars.

"One Soros dollar is worth five British pounds. That's the rate they will set after I kidnap their queen."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

I misread this at first and thought Dan was being reasonable. NOPE. Bible literalist.

Genesis 1 posted:

Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds... the third day...

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image... the sixth day...

Genesis 2 posted:

Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, but stream came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground. Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

So which of these does he want me to take literally? He's using Adam and Eve while citing Genesis 1, but the two creation stories are completely incompatible from a literalist standpoint.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Volcanic Vents posted:

I'm not trying to defend this dumb comic, but his literal citation is Jesus, from the book of Mark.

e: although I guess there are those Genesis and Matthew citations that don't seem tied to anything in particular, gently caress this dumb cartoon anyway

But the phrase "God made them male and female" is from Genesis 1. Jesus was quoting the first creation story, yet the comic thinks he was talking about Adam and Eve. Dan even cites Genesis 1:27 while claiming it's about Adam and Eve, who are in a different story in the next chapter. You'd think this guy would at least know how to read a simple concordance.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Also you can't spit

we have too many loving emotes and I can't find the one I want here :mad:

e: Ehhhh it's not the one I wanted but let's go with :cumpolice:

Onan is one of the most hilariously misinterpreted stories. Onan's sister-in-law was a widow with no sons, so he was supposed to get her pregnant so she'd have someone to take care of her. But he didn't want to pay child support, so he pulled out early. So God killed him. The message is "live up to your familial responsibilities and don't take advantage of poor people," not "don't masturbate."

Alhazred posted:

If he considered her a woman he probably wouldn't draw her with stubble.

Yeah, I know. I was just making a joke about Lester's criminal history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

More third parties (or at least third parties that actually got a significant percentage of the vote) without instant runoff voting or something similar would indeed be a disaster. Electoral reform would kill the spoiler effect, but that's unlikely, at least at the federal level. States could pull it off, though. I think at least one already has.

Maine just voted to start using IRV. In large part it was because their racist governor Paul LePage (who once complained that drug dealers named "D-Money, Smoothy, Shifty" were impregnating white girls in Maine) got elected twice with a minority share of the vote and his opposition split between other candidates.

LaserShark posted:

...what does this even mean...

I think "walk of shame" refers to sneaking out the home of someone you're embarrassed to have slept with. The joke is that Todd is a whore for The Left, and by metaphorically loving Democrats he has delegitimized himself.

Broken Loose posted:

You know what? It doesn't matter. Doing The Thing ironically is still doing The Thing, Charlie Brown.

Would it matter if Red Panels was ironically being a Nazi? Does that make it better in any way, or would it just demonstrate that he's willing to hate but unwilling to look like he's hating?

The arc of 4chan over its lifespan shows how ironically saying horrible things is inwardly and outwardly corrosive. I think some people really do start out being offensively racist, sexist, etc. as a joke, but if you do that you'll end up surrounded by people who mean it seriously, and surrounding yourself with such people will inevitably change the way you see the world.

• Locked thread