Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Happy 2017 from Bruce Tinsley!

The funny part is that this cartoon couldn't even be called racist against any particular group, really, but it is definitely pro-racism, which feels worse somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He draws this comic as though a HRC victory wouldn't have resulted in a two-month arc about Hunny Bunny's fourth reich and the ultimate triumph of evil

Like, I'd take it seriously if I was able to convince myself that today's strip in the Clinton Timeline would have been about how they're not thrilled that the character the strip had been building up for years as a literal supervillain has attained ultimate executive power, but hey at least that stinky skunk Trump didn't win, because man would that have been worse. But I don't believe that would be Stantis/Allie's reaction for even one second.

like, what outcome was he hoping for, that Gary Johnson would win because 97% of the electorate became bedridden at the same time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Literally the only people who believe the story is about Russia actually hacking votes are people whose sole exposure to the story is coming across the words "Russia," "hacking," and "election" in a single sentence for the very first time. This tired straw man needs to die, unless you can dredge up some actual mainstream media coverage implying actual vote hacking, rather than just bad Facebook shares or tweets or some such.

Your friends must be smarter than mine because I've heard a lot of people in the last few weeks who are apparently 100% convinced that Russia singlehandedly decided our election results via hacking (they are, however, not specific as to what exactly this hacking did)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

It's actually occurring to me on the basis of the author that was probably the author's intent, nvm.

I don't know how to read postmortem comics anymore. Postmortem demographic commentary? gently caress me sideways.

Sorensen is Very Angry About Hipsters; this is an established thing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Duke Igthorn posted:

See the problem is one of phrasing, it seems like a "gotcha" question so you just give the answer that more closely matches your views. I know Russia didn't literally "hack the vote" but if you asked me a question like this, one that doesn't include context or what I believe to be the correct answer, I'm going to pick the answer that more closely matches my beliefs. There is no room for "No, but..." so, gently caress it: yes.

I do not follow this logic in the slightest

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shangri-Law School posted:

We all realize that Russia stealing private correspondence in order to influence an election is bad, right? Just checking.

Yes, that is in fact not the issue in question at this moment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

TRUE/FALSE:
Trump is the reincarnation of grigori rasputin converted to the religion of venture capitalism, resurrected by a foul voodoo ritual headed by necromancer vladmir putin to sap the strength of undying neoliberal lich Hillary Rodham Clinton and defeat her in the election with the help from sinister kgb operatives

*scans question carefully* Well, I don't think necromancy is real, but there isn't an option for "false, but Trump is in fact a venture capitalist", so gently caress it: TRUE

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't read 1984 in like ten years but I'm 75% sure this is not how Newspeak works

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Are they seriously going to call him "Trumpster" for the next four years?

trump-o-rama, el trumperino, the trumpinator, makin copies

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

I thought I appreciated spiders for neutralizing indoors pests

People keep saying stuff like this but I've never heard an example of an indoor pest that a spider might kill that is worse than the spider itself

What, do you have a horsefly infestation inside your home or something? Why are literal arachnids part of your pest-control setup, are you a Halloween witch?

sorry for the anti-spider hot take, guys, but I'm virulently racist against all members of the arachnid family

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'll take spiders over anything that flies, every time. Even houseflies are worse than a small, well-behaved spider that has the decency to make its web in a place I can barely see it.

Houseflies are annoying in that they're hard to kill, but at least they're not sticking around long unless your house is disgusting. Spiders are always there, waiting, until you get rid of them.

Benny the Snake posted:

It's called arachnophobia, bud

I do in fact suffer from this phobia but my feelings go so much deeper

Ranter posted:

In Australia we have flies and mozzies everywhere https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussie_salute. A big harmless huntsman is way cool to keep around for getting them. One of the first things I noticed about moving to another part of the world was the lack of flies. God I hate them.

Sometimes I think I'd like to visit Australia but then I remember the kind of spiders that live there and I go "no thanks"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you have so many flies in your country that a large spider being alive and free in your house is a preferable option, your ecosystem is what I like to call "hosed"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

If you don't have any other bugs, the spider will die of starvation (or leave to find a place that does have bugs idk)

They will not get to this point, because I will kill them first (on account of they are worse than bugs)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've never lived in Florida, but I have lived in lovely apartments before, and there are ways to manage cockroach infestations that do not involve sharing your home with unholy abominations

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Political Cartoons 2017/Spider Chat General

Going to share this Guardian article from a few years ago, because it's one I like to go back and read again occasionally:

at least this horror movie had a happy ending (the death of thousands of spiders)

duz posted:

Even scorpions!?

I hadn't thought about it, but: yes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've been living in a happy healthy spider-free household my entire life and I assure you I am not constantly being invaded by thick clouds of mosquitoes or horseflies

and even the time I lived in a horrible apartment building and got cockroaches, oddly enough, the super's response was "ok let me set you some poison traps" rather than "here's your new roommate, twenty huntsman spiders" because we live in a golden age of wonder where pesticides exist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How you idiots see a distinction between insects and spiders apart from one of them being an abomination that Should Not Be I will never understand

"this gross bug ate this other gross bug, so now it is my valued friend and I will let it sleep in my bed with me"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

One bites me and drinks my blood from my veins, which is where my blood lives. This isn't hard.

you can kill that kind of bug with your hand pretty easily by hitting it, that isn't hard either. You don't need to infest your home with the other one or be eternally bitten. This isn't an either-or scenario. :geno:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey loquacis I know you hate spiders but how about house centipedes???

Helpful and harmless! :)

oh god these fuckers, it's like, hey let's take a spider, give it five times as many legs, and make it super fast so you can't kill it, thanks a lot earth

They at least don't make webs, so that's one less element from Every Nightmare I've Had Since Age 3 they've got going for them than spiders do, but still I can't even enjoy shoveling lasagna into my mouth with both hands or eating someone else's steak dinner in one bite when I think about them

it's enough to make me kick the dog right off the table

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Thick clouds of mosquitoes are an actual hazard here in Florida.

luckily the modern age of wonders also includes things like "screen windows"

Necroskowitz posted:

I'm glad I live in a place where I don't have to decide which type of vermin I would prefer to allow in my home.

:same:

who needs that kind of stress when you already have to deal with things like your owner always hitting on the veterinarian

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SwimmingSpider posted:

the best spiders are cellar spiders because they are literally harmless to humans and they eat spiders that are dealdier to us than they are, like black widows

I've said it before, if your basement is so full of deadly spiders that you need to keep around some less-deadly spiders to thin their ranks a little bit it might be about time to get back on the real-estate market

The pro-spider sentiment on the Internet is super weird, but it's weirdest when they live in an area like the northeastern US or Canada where there are literally no insects around that are bad enough that spiders are an improvement on them. When people start saying things like "yeah I like having tarantulas around because they fend off all the watermelon-sized cockroaches that are always getting into my baking flour" I just have to go "welp I cannot possibly relate to your life"

fake-edit: "Brown recluses are the best, without them I'd have marauding orcs in my breakfast cereal all the time"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Reminder: Ramirez has always harbored an extremely tepid, milquetoast, lethargic, impotent hatred for Donald Trump. He has managed to avoid talking about this most of the time by focusing on how much more he hates Obama (also Clinton) and has expressed admiration for Mike Pence, but he never really pivoted on Trump himself. This is only really a reversal on his part in that it is a(n extremely roundabout) criticism of the Republican Party.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

putting in a little arrow indicating the gas tank is on the left would have been a nice little easter egg IMO

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SwimmingSpider posted:

"fortune teller" archetypes tend to be based on Rroma and Middle Eastern caricatures so, maybe you're on to something Mallard.

but he drew that one white, that means it's not racist and has never been racist and can never be racist :confused:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

That ugly dog with the ugly crown is a ugly mascot.

Tbf JRROSE's drawing style isn't doing it any favors

but the official one doesn't look great either.

"a bulldog who is also the king"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I really like the complete unapologetic absence of concrete policy

like, even if you accept the idea that this stuff is all real, it's all Obama's fault, and he did it on purpose, Trump's response is "MAGA" and poof it's all gone. Man, why didn't Obama think of that???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Huh. :stare:

Every time I hear a new detail about the Trump presidency it sounds faker than the last, but you know what they say about truth and fiction's relative strangeness levels

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mike Lester cartoon: an angry donkey labeled both MEDIA and FAKE NEWS speaks into a camera. "Donald Trump's alleged sex thing is the worst event in the history of Planet Earth!" From behind the camera, Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, and Anthony Weiner, each labeled with bad sex things, smile and give a thumbs-up. In the corner, a Twitter bird labeled "REAL NEWS" is beaten and bound.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bennett is thus far not biting on pissgate

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

5+ years ago: Obama is such a wimp for not standing up to Russia!
now: 3

not shown: bears gleefully gathering blackmail material on Trump and threatening to release it unless he enacts a pro-bear agenda and gives them lots of hunny

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Not saying this is a particularly good caricature but compared to Kirschen's usual art it looks fantastic.

He's used it before, I think. I remember because it looks like it came out of Yellow Submarine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

stop Bors if you've heard this one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ah yes, noted outdated old-media stalwarts Buzzfeed and The Huffington Post

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I thought this was the same cartoon Ramirez has made five times already, but the caption saved it at the last moment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

So what should people do in your opinion?

One of the issues that keeps coming up in the C-SPAM Democrats thread is that thanks to the DNC's neglect of a proper fifty-state strategy the Democratic bench is kind of thin at the moment. We'll just have to see who manages to raise their profile enough for a 2020 run and choose wisely; that's all we can really do at this point.

I'd still love Warren to run, naturally -- the excuse everyone used to use is "she's getting set up for a Harry Reid type career where she can do more good in the long run", but here it is 2017, we have President Trump, and they gave Reid's job to Schumer anyway, so gently caress it, I say Warren 2020.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The Democrats actually have a really solid bench for the presidency imo, the problem is that no one will ever live up to the lofty ideals of the far-left because they are literally impossible to please. Warren is poised to have a great run, Booker is obviously going to run at some point in the future (depending on how his political stock does in the next 4 years), Keith Ellison has been bucking for more national attention, the list goes on. The republican bench on the other hand is completely hosed, it's how Trump was able to totally usurp the party in the first place. Democrats aren't really in want of candidates, but are in need of solid well-targeted messaging, which has been their problem since basically forever so I'm not sure how they plan on fixing it.

Also Bors reposted an old doodle to facebook that I don't think has been posted:

Booker is an extremely flawed candidate (call me literally impossible to please if you must) and Ellison, while great, is bucking for more national attention in a position that would preclude him from running for President so those aren't the best examples in the world :shrug:

We are in total agreement on Warren, though. Hopefully someone can convince her to run.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shangri-Law School posted:

I hope the Bernie dead-enders never find out that Liz Warren was a Republican in the '90s.

Insert joke about Barry Goldwater here

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

Berniebros loathe him, and we've learned to ignore them at our peril, because a bunch of Democrats stabbing the candidate in the back looks really bad.

"Berniebros loathe Keith Ellison" is a new one on me honestly

Last I checked, "Berniebros" were having heart palpitations at the thought of Keith Ellison not becoming DNC chair. What are you basing this on?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyway, someone sadly posted this in the funny pictures thread. I don't get it, but it nails down Red Panels guy for who we figured. A single man who masturbates to anime.

Can someone marginally nerdier than me explain whether there is actual ideological significance in the waifus chosen for each person or is it just random

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm guessing from the responses so far that all there is to it is "while normies debate this question as though there are only two answers, Third-Way post-partisan problem solver Donald Trump thinks outside the box and discovers a third option which is obviously better because it's different" and that's that.

That said, can anyone explain to me why Trump is wearing Mickey Mouse cartoon gloves, what is the hidden message there

• Locked thread